Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Man robs bank to get medical care in jail

Destino

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110621/ts_yblog_thelookout/man-robs-bank-to-get-medical-care-in-jail

Some people who need medical care but can't afford it go to the emergency room. Others just hope they'll get better. James Richard Verone robbed a bank.

Earlier this month, Verone (pictured), a 59-year-old convenience store clerk, walked into a Gaston, N.C., bank and handed the cashier a note demanding $1 and medical attention. Then he waited calmly for police to show up.

He's now in jail and has an appointment with a doctor this week.

Verone's problems started when he lost the job he'd held for 17 years as a Coca Cola deliveryman, amid the economic downturn. He found new work driving a truck, but it didn't last. Eventually, he took a part-time position at the convenience store.

But Verone's body wasn't up to it. The bending and lifting made his back ache. He had problems with his left foot, making him limp. He also suffered from carpal tunnel syndrome and arthritis.

Then he noticed a protrusion on his chest. "The pain was beyond the tolerance that I could accept," Verone told the Gaston Gazette. "I kind of hit a brick wall with everything."

Verone knew he needed help--and he didn't want to be a burden on his sister and brothers. He applied for food stamps, but they weren't enough either.

So he hatched a plan. On June 9, he woke up, showered, ironed his shirt. He mailed a letter to the Gazette, listing the return address as the Gaston County Jail.

"When you receive this a bank robbery will have been committed by me," Verone wrote in the letter. "This robbery is being committed by me for one dollar. I am of sound mind but not so much sound body."

Then Verone hailed a cab to take him to the RBC Bank. Inside, he handed the teller his $1 robbery demand.

"I didn't have any fears," said Verone. "I told the teller that I would sit over here and wait for police."

The teller was so frightened that she had to be taken to the hospital to be checked out. Verone, meanwhile, was taken to jail, just as he'd planned it.

The teller needs to switch to decaf. :pfft:

I'm a little surprised security didn't just throw his old ass out.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20073019-504083.html

N.C. man admits to robbing bank to get free prison healthcare

(CBS/WFMY) Gaston County, NC - How far would you go to get a doctor's appointment?

A Charlotte-area man without health insurance says he robbed a bank earlier this month because he needed medical attention and thought a prison sentence would be the best way to get it, reports CBS affiliate WFMY.

James Verone, 59, says he walked into an RBC Bank in Gaston County, North Carolina and passed a note to the teller demanding $1 - then waited to be arrested.

The unemployed bank bandit says he thought jail was the best place to get medical care and a roof over his head.

Verone said he was hoping for a three-year sentence so when released he would be old enough to collect social security. Planning ahead, he says he's already spoken to a realtor about purchasing a condo in Myrtle Beach.

Verone told local TV station WCNC he had never been in trouble with the law before.

"If it's called manipulation, then, out of necessity, because I need medical care, then I guess I am manipulating the courts to get medical care," he told the station.

Unfortunately for the would-be bank robber, stealing $1 was only enough to get him charged with larceny from a person rather than a more serious bank robbery charge. With a conviction on that charge, Verone will likely spend less than three years in prison.

Makes you wonder what else he might come up with.

He should've actually tried to rob the bank, that way if he was successful and got away with it, he'd have money for healthcare; if he was caught then he'd get the prison healthcare he was looking for.

There's no money in robbing brick and mortar banks. Identity theft is the way to go.

He should've actually tried to rob the bank, that way if he was successful and got away with it, he'd have money for healthcare; if he was caught then he'd get the prison healthcare he was looking for.

And gotten the healthcare he wanted for a much longer sentence than the 3 years he is facing.

This actually made the main news over here in the UK as the next to last "can you believe that its a funny old world' item before the wrap up.

As for the Teller having to go hospital anyone else smell a compensation claim brewing ......

I just came back from Australia...up to 42% tax for the rich and healthcare is included for all. Option to get private healthcare in addition to state provided. They do tax the hell out of the people over there and gas is nearly twice the price. Sydney is expensive! Germany pays up to 48% tax with lifetime healthcare, 2 months of vacation, 1 year of maternal/6 mos paternal leave, retirement at 75% of your highest lifetime wage (minimum of 20 full working years). Gas is also expensive in Germany but the beer is cheap and great!

I just came back from Australia...up to 42% tax for the rich and healthcare is included for all. Option to get private healthcare in addition to state provided. They do tax the hell out of the people over there and gas is nearly twice the price. Sydney is expensive! Germany pays up to 48% tax with lifetime healthcare, 2 months of vacation, 1 year of maternal/6 mos paternal leave, retirement at 75% of your highest lifetime wage (minimum of 20 full working years). Gas is also expensive in Germany but the beer is cheap and great!

Here in the UK I pay 40% income tax plus 11% national insurance. So an effective marginal tax rate of 51%. Because I earn over a threshold I get no tax free allowance either. Thats without thinking about indirect taxes like purchase tax (we call it VAT) which runs at 20% right now.

We do get free healthcare though - and despite what you might read the NHS is an excellent service especially for accident and emergency care, its if you need non emergency surgery its starts to creak a bit with waiting times. I have private medical insurance which covers me and my family for that kind of thing.

As for fuel prices dont get me started. Its about $9.60 per gallon of petrol over here and prices are still rising .....

contrary view

http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article/576074/201106211840/A-Phony-Tale-Of-Woe.htm

There's just one little, inconvenient fact missing from all this coverage. Verone had access to free care — outside of jail — and plenty of it.

The dirty secret about our health care system is that it is, in fact, very generous to the poor. A recent study from the N.C. Justice Center notes that North Carolina hospitals provided $694 million in free care in 2008.

Nationwide, hospitals provide more than $34 billion in unpaid care. Then there are all the private charities, Medicaid, and various other state and federal programs that offer the poor and destitute access to care.

I'm pretty certain that there are plenty of programs that could have helped him get healthcare.

http://echealthinsurance.com/north-carolina-health-insurance/public-assistance/

http://www.unchealthcare.org/site/healthpatientcare/patient/other/financial.htm

http://www.ncdhhs.gov/dma/

http://www.caretoactnc.com/AccessToCare.aspx

http://www.fullcirclecare.org/nc/drugs.html

and some in his own county

http://www.unitedwaygaston.org/partner_agencies.htm

http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html/gaston_county_assistance_progr.html

so rather than using the plethora of services already available, he takes the lazy route and uses a stunt.

Sad so many here dont see this forest for the trees and root this garbage on.

so rather than using the plethora of services already available, he takes the lazy route and uses a stunt.

Sad so many here dont see this forest for the trees and root this garbage on.

Read the article next time, then comment. He goes through the steps he tried and only robbed the bank as a last resort. Laziness would be trying to rob the bank and getting away. It's tough to say whether he used the services you mentioned, but the article makes it clear that he was actively searching for help before the robbery. He tried to get help from a variety of places and was unable to, then decided to rob the bank to get the healthcare. Also, it's funny how robbing a bank and going to jail is now considered a stunt to you, and not the sign of a man at the end of his rope.

Not every poor person is lazy, and sometimes good people get pushed to the edge. But, of course, the narrative must live on so we can't admit that. Sad so many here don't see the forest for the trees and root this garbage on.

Read the article next time, then comment. He goes through the steps he tried and only robbed the bank as a last resort. Laziness would be trying to rob the bank and getting away. It's tough to say whether he used the services you mentioned, but the article makes it clear that he was actively searching for help before the robbery. He tried to get help from a variety of places and was unable to, then decided to rob the bank for a to get the healthcare. Also, it's funny how robbing a bank and going to jail is now considered a stunt to you, and not the sign of a man at the end of his rope.

Not every poor person is lazy, and sometimes good people get pushed to the edge. But, of course, the narrative must live on so we can't admit that. Sad so many here don't see the forest for the trees and root this garbage on.

I did read the article and no where did it say he tried every resource available before his stunt. It said he applied for food stamps. Not sure what article you read.

And then there is this gem of a quote from this poor victim of society...

"n jail, Verone said he skips dinner to avoid too much contact with the other inmates. He's already seen some nurses and is scheduled to see a doctor on Friday. He said he's hoping to receive back and foot surgery, and get the protrusion on his chest treated. Then he plans to spend a few years in jail, before getting out in time to collect Social Security and move to the beach."

yeah, I must be misjudging his laziness, huh?

Archived