Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Malcom Kelly sighting- Redskins Players Only Practice

texasthunder

Funny how everyone is pissed about Kelly being injury prone, but we knew that coming in.

That's never failed to amuse me on here pj either.

For me, it was a calculated risk at the time on his great potential over his knees as was. Hopefully, God willing, he's FINALLY over all his injury tribulations and that potential and risk can be fulfilled.

Hail.

Make 2011 the year you announce your retirement in style to the doubters Malcolm.

Fixed it for ya. And im not being a jerk, I am actually hoping that I jinx him back to health. Otherwise, we will be looking for Malcolm Kelly sightings during the regular season too

Update: Malcolm Kelly ran around for 5 minutes and injured his knee and hamstring.

Another update: He actually injured his knee and hamstring while tying his never-before-worn cleetes that he bought before the '08 season ;) and then jogged around for 5 minutes (its being videotaped) to convince Mike and Bruce that it'll eventually get better and to keep him at least on IR

I would love to see Kelly play this year and prove everyone wrong, but after 3 seasons I don't really believe it. It would be a great WR competition, but the best I feel like we can hope for is that he wins the job in TC and isn't injured until by the first game of the season. :(

It's a win-win. Either Kelly finds a way to stay healthy and be productive (anyone remember him blocking vs. Seattle?) or he's more than replaced by the rookies this year. I like that we are protecting ourselves against him disappointing us again, but if he manages to stay healthy it can only make us stronger.

I'm still hoping for the best for the guy, but I'm ready to cut bait if it's just not going to happen for him here. Not a terrible position for us to be in.

what a boost it is to see Kelly actually ON a football field. Big, strong, great route runner, deceptively fast and with stickum like hands.

He does have great hands but I don't recall him as being deceptively fast or a particularly great route runner. He never seemed to get much separation from the DBs but perhaps that was also a factor in the play calling pre-Shanahan. Kelly seemed to be more of a long-strider who was going to have to rely more upon body positioning to get to the balls. I can't see him as a possession receiver because he's not durable. I hope I'm wrong and he can contribute to the team.

I'm so tired of everyone calling Malcolm Kelly so injury-prone. He had some serious knee CONCERNS coming out of college. It wiped out his rookie year mostly because rather than have corrective surgery before the season he opted for a procedure that would allow him to play that year. After the season he had corrective surgery and it went extremely well - he's never had another knee issue since.

His second year in the league he PLAYED IN ALL 16 GAMES, starting 10. Let me say it again, he did not miss a single game his second year in the league.

Last year, he had a hamstring setback - something not all that uncommon for guys who have had knee surgeries before. He did not miss the season due to any hamstring injury. In fact, he probably would have been playing by week 2 or 3 if he had dealt with it properly. He injured it before camp, tried to come back too soon to impress his new coaches and reinjured it but because he had already practiced, the team HAD to essentially either cut him or put him on IR. Had he not come back to practice they could have put him on the PUP list and he would have played most of last year. The REALITY is that Kelly was healthy and capable of playing most of, if not all of last year. It was poor decision-making, influenced by a desire to impress his new coaching staff that kept him off the field, not injury.

So all in all, Kelly had a knee injury his rookie year, didn't miss a game his second year, and was healthy/could have played last year if not for a formality in the rulebook concerning PUP list candidates.

That's a knee injury that's been addressed and is no longer an issue and a hamstring issue that should have been cleared up by the end of training camp. I get the fact that he hasn't been on the field much, but in all honesty, if Kelly doesn't make the team this year I highly doubt it will be due to any type of injury - it will be because he wasn't good enough and I have a hard time seeing that happen. He was healthy for almost the entirety of last season and yet was not allowed to practice or play with his teammates. He'll be frustrated and motivated this year and I expect him to make the team.

I'm so tired of everyone calling Malcolm Kelly so injury-prone. He had some serious knee CONCERNS coming out of college. It wiped out his rookie year mostly because rather than have corrective surgery before the season he opted for a procedure that would allow him to play that year. After the season he had corrective surgery and it went extremely well - he's never had another knee issue since.

His second year in the league he PLAYED IN ALL 16 GAMES, starting 10. Let me say it again, he did not miss a single game his second year in the league.

Last year, he had a hamstring setback - something not all that uncommon for guys who have had knee surgeries before. He did not miss the season due to any hamstring injury. In fact, he probably would have been playing by week 2 or 3 if he had dealt with it properly. He injured it before camp, tried to come back too soon to impress his new coaches and reinjured it but because he had already practiced, the team HAD to essentially either cut him or put him on IR. Had he not come back to practice they could have put him on the PUP list and he would have played most of last year. The REALITY is that Kelly was healthy and capable of playing most of, if not all of last year. It was poor decision-making, influenced by a desire to impress his new coaching staff that kept him off the field, not injury.

So all in all, Kelly had a knee injury his rookie year, didn't miss a game his second year, and was healthy/could have played last year if not for a formality in the rulebook concerning PUP list candidates.

That's a knee injury that's been addressed and is no longer an issue and a hamstring issue that should have been cleared up by the end of training camp. I get the fact that he hasn't been on the field much, but in all honesty, if Kelly doesn't make the team this year I highly doubt it will be due to any type of injury - it will be because he wasn't good enough and I have a hard time seeing that happen. He was healthy for almost the entirety of last season and yet was not allowed to practice or play with his teammates. He'll be frustrated and motivated this year and I expect him to make the team.

Good Post Moondog,

I agree with you, talent wise he is probably the best talent WR we have.

Hopefully he will be able to give us a few good years... I think thats all we can hope for at the moment.

I will surely be rooting on him winning a starting position and a healthy decade...

I'm so tired of everyone calling Malcolm Kelly so injury-prone.

Sorry, but when you have to talk that much about a guy's injury history, he's not exactly ironman. He's been more unavailable than available and hasn't proven to be a reliable player.

He never seemed to get much separation from the DBs but perhaps that was also a factor in the play calling pre-Shanahan.

Yeah, I don't know how we can even say we've had a fair look at him yet, unless I'm forgetting, Zorn's offense was horrible for creating openings for the passing game so we didn't see many receivers open, ever. Of course, Moss still produced some pretty good numbers, so I don't know.

Moondog, I would tend to agree with you more, but the guy has been injured in 3 of his last 4 years playing football (if you include his last year in college). A pattern is a patter man. And as for his playing in 16 games and starting 10, from what I recall, he actually wasn't on the field that much because Zorn would start whoever and they may only end up playing a couple plays then he'd rotate them. There was rarely (besides Moss and ARE) any rookie that got a lot of playing time on the offense when Zorn was in control. It was one of those things that drove me crazy about him.

On the other hand, if he DID play all 16 games and start 10, and he played a good amount, then his stats are really really bad. :(

I like Kelly and want him to do good, so at this point the only thing that gives me hope is that it has been his injuries that have held him back.

I would love to see a WR corp that has six of these guys (in no particular order) and is successful:

Kelly

Moss

Armstrong

Robinson

Paul

Hankerson

Austin

Banks

The sad part is it is still relevant.

Well actually it isn't - that is if it ever was . Kelly was healthy in 2009 and actually managed a 100 yard season . In 2010 the coaches made the wrong call, didn't recognise what happened before training camp and should have put him on PUP - rather than let him play in that 1 practice ....

I do think its Kellys last chance like I think a lot of WRs from that 2008 draft but it is good to see him with the team ... I was wondering if there was any other news from the workouts or is it all going to be lame Kelly jokes ?

Archived