Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Malcom Kelly sighting- Redskins Players Only Practice

texasthunder

I'm so tired of everyone calling Malcolm Kelly so injury-prone. He had some serious knee CONCERNS coming out of college. It wiped out his rookie year mostly because rather than have corrective surgery before the season he opted for a procedure that would allow him to play that year. After the season he had corrective surgery and it went extremely well - he's never had another knee issue since.

His second year in the league he PLAYED IN ALL 16 GAMES, starting 10. Let me say it again, he did not miss a single game his second year in the league.

Last year, he had a hamstring setback - something not all that uncommon for guys who have had knee surgeries before. He did not miss the season due to any hamstring injury. In fact, he probably would have been playing by week 2 or 3 if he had dealt with it properly. He injured it before camp, tried to come back too soon to impress his new coaches and reinjured it but because he had already practiced, the team HAD to essentially either cut him or put him on IR. Had he not come back to practice they could have put him on the PUP list and he would have played most of last year. The REALITY is that Kelly was healthy and capable of playing most of, if not all of last year. It was poor decision-making, influenced by a desire to impress his new coaching staff that kept him off the field, not injury.

So all in all, Kelly had a knee injury his rookie year, didn't miss a game his second year, and was healthy/could have played last year if not for a formality in the rulebook concerning PUP list candidates.

That's a knee injury that's been addressed and is no longer an issue and a hamstring issue that should have been cleared up by the end of training camp. I get the fact that he hasn't been on the field much, but in all honesty, if Kelly doesn't make the team this year I highly doubt it will be due to any type of injury - it will be because he wasn't good enough and I have a hard time seeing that happen. He was healthy for almost the entirety of last season and yet was not allowed to practice or play with his teammates. He'll be frustrated and motivated this year and I expect him to make the team.

That's what he got for catching passes from McNabb out there in Arizona. Hopefully, he stays in house and conditioned himself under the guidelines of the trainers.

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-redskins/2011/6/14/2223676/washington-redskins-workout-participants

The Washington Redskins have completed their first players-only workout of their June session, which comes after a three-day session in both April and May. Fewer Redskins attended than the one in June, but there still were 31 players at a different undisclosed location this time. Here is the full list of attendees, via Grant Paulsen of 106.7 The Fan.

John Beck, Rex Grossman, Mike Sellers, Ryan Torain, Darrell Young, Keiland Williams Evan Royster and Chad Simpson, Malcolm Kelly, Leonard Hankerson, Brandon Banks and Aldrick Robinson, Chris Cooley and Logan Paulsen, Kory Lichtensteiger, Will Montgomery, Maurice Hurt, Selvish Capers and Clint Oldenburg, Kedric Golston, Chris Neild, London Fletcher, Brian Orakpo, Ryan Kerrigan, Rocky McIntosh, Rob Jackson, and Lorenzo Alexander, Chris Horton, Kevin Barnes, Anderson Russell, DJ Gomes....

Orakpo and Kelly were attending for the first time. The list of players who attended in May, but not June includes Anthony Armstrong, Fred Davis, Roy Helu, Casey Rabach and DeAngelo Hall.

He does have great hands but I don't recall him as being deceptively fast or a particularly great route runner. He never seemed to get much separation from the DBs but perhaps that was also a factor in the play calling pre-Shanahan. Kelly seemed to be more of a long-strider who was going to have to rely more upon body positioning to get to the balls. I can't see him as a possession receiver because he's not durable. I hope I'm wrong and he can contribute to the team.

I was more going off his Sooner days. He was never looked upon as the quickest, but with those long strides that you mentioned he was deceptively fast ala Jerry Rice. He used to glide past defenders in stride and always end up in the right spot he was meant to be.

If he finally gets his pro career up and running and re-captures that form, we could have one heck of a productive weapon on our hands.

Hail.

Those of you defending Kelly need to look at his career stats

http://www.nfl.com/players/malcolmkelly/profile?id=KEL691432

3 years in the NFL

28 Receptions

365 Yards

ZERO Touchdowns

Stats aren't everything but they do mean something.

Salary wise, this is the only thing I could find. It's two years but it was 2.3 million

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/nfl/salaries/player/Malcolm-Kelly

Since he was injured in 2010 it makes his stats easy.

So it's $82,142 per reception

It's $6,300 per yard gain

I would do touchdowns, but he doesn't have any.

So if we are going by that scale, we need to sign Santana to a huge contract

If we go based on receptions, we should pay him 7.6 million for next year alone.

If we go based on yards 7.0 million

I really like Kelly with all that being said. This is his fourth year and he either needs to produce or go. It's just that simple and I think he knows that.

Per a note on Rotoworld I saw as I was looking for Fantasy Baseball info(for what it is worth):

Malcolm Kelly - WR - Redskins Redskins WR Malcolm Kelly "feels good" after dropping 10-15 pounds this offseason.

Beat writer John Keim notes that Kelly was the "experienced receiver of the bunch" at Tuesday's workouts, which speaks volumes about the state of the Redskins offense. It's nice to finally see an increased commitment level out of Kelly, but it's likely too little too late for his Redskins career. He's not a darling of the coaching staff. Source: Washington Examiner Jun 14, 4:22 PM

Those complaining about Malcomb's numbers in 2009 need a reality check. It was basically his rookie year, teamed up with the newly remodeled by Zorn, now even more checkdown happy Jason Campbell.

Kelly's skillset just doesn't fit the kind of offense Zorn was running...if you can call it that. A big downfield threat like Kelly will never thrive with a shellshocked QB who can't read a defense and an OL that can't passblock a 4 man rush for more than 2 seconds.

I'm not even a fan of the Comb tbh, I think he'll probably get hurt again sadly enough.....but there is no way a WR like Kelly thrives under these circumstances, healthy or not.

Those complaining about Malcomb's numbers in 2009 need a reality check. It was basically his rookie year, teamed up with the newly remodeled by Zorn, now even more checkdown happy Jason Campbell..

I would have quoted his other stats, but there aren't any.

Its a sad summer when this thread has me excited

Amen.

I hate to wish ill will on anyone, but I hope an NFL owner or two gets ill enough to change the balance in thinking...bunch of greedy ****s.

Per a note on Rotoworld I saw as I was looking for Fantasy Baseball info(for what it is worth):

Malcolm Kelly - WR - Redskins Redskins WR Malcolm Kelly "feels good" after dropping 10-15 pounds this offseason.

Beat writer John Keim notes that Kelly was the "experienced receiver of the bunch" at Tuesday's workouts, which speaks volumes about the state of the Redskins offense. It's nice to finally see an increased commitment level out of Kelly, but it's likely too little too late for his Redskins career. He's not a darling of the coaching staff. Source: Washington Examiner Jun 14, 4:22 PM

I disagree with Kiem. The coaching staff is obviously interested in what Kelly could do for this team; otherwise we would have let him go with Thomas last year when he got injured.

Archived