Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Malcom Kelly sighting- Redskins Players Only Practice

texasthunder

Just to be clear, I never said or implied Kiem has no clue what he is talking about.

In my opinion, Kiem's last statement about Kelly not being a "darling of the coaching staff" does not fit with the Redskin's front office actions to date. If Shanahan and company thought Kelly couldn't get it done, then why is he still on the roster? Maybe I am reading Kiem's comment the wrong way, but I don't understand why they would keep a player with an notable injury history around if the Redskins felt he couldn't help the team.

That's just me though.:cool:

Regarding Kelly, if he can stay healthy and make this team better, then we should keep him; otherwise, we have other interesting options to move forward with.

For those who say he isn't injury prone - fine, go split hairs I don't care but the fact is he hasn't contributed at all. For a second round pick that's bad. Regardless, I really wanted the Skins to draft him that year and said as much many times here in posts. I like the guy and I want him to be healthy and contribute but I think that time is running out on him here.

I hope MK has a break-out season, or at least an above average one. I'd think this is his "make or break" year. If he isn't at least somewhat productive this season, then I don't see him even lasting the entire year. I think we should have a good idea by week 5 or so if MK is truly a bust or not.

I'm a little disappointed that he didn't show up for today's workout. Yesterday he was the most senior WR, so he was conducting the troops... I'd hope he'd show up to at least continue teaching today. At least Armstrong came today, so maybe they coordinated.

I'm a little disappointed that he didn't show up for today's workout. Yesterday he was the most senior WR, so he was conducting the troops... I'd hope he'd show up to at least continue teaching today. At least Armstrong came today, so maybe they coordinated.

considering his off-season luck may not be a bad thing

Oh I already have a good idea about whether he is a bust or not.

I hear ya, and I definitely lean towards him being a bust. I guess I'm just willing to give him once more chance. I expect big things out of him in camp / pre-season. If he falls short, or gets hurt, then ya, he's a definite bust.

Just to be clear, I never said or implied Kiem has no clue what he is talking about.

In my opinion, Kiem's last statement about Kelly not being a "darling of the coaching staff" does not fit with the Redskin's front office actions to date. If Shanahan and company thought Kelly couldn't get it done, then why is he still on the roster? Maybe I am reading Kiem's comment the wrong way, but I don't understand why they would keep a player with an notable injury history around if the Redskins felt he couldn't help the team.

That's just me though.:cool:

That was real curious to me too. Not doubting Keim, who's one of the VERY few National journo's still worth a damn; but that just doesn't tally up. If Shanahan and Allen didn't like what they saw in Kelly, they'd of cut his ass. Not keep him around for a year on IR.

Unless something's gone horribly wrong in the mean time, that's all a little too conflicting.

Hail.

That was real curious to me too. Not doubting Keim, who's one of the VERY few National journo's still worth a damn; but that just doesn't tally up. If Shanahan and Allen didn't like what they saw in Kelly, they'd of cut his ass. Not keep him around for a year on IR.

Unless something's gone horribly wrong in the mean time, that's all a little too conflicting.

Hail.

i would assume placing someone on IR is just a wiser move. Without wasting a roster spot. Cheap at $470000 in 2010. And you assume the coaching staff knew they were weak in the WR department (especially with height). so on IR allows him to come in and compete for one more year.

@Russellmania980 Just talked to Trent Williams by phone. He said he thought this #Redskins practice was only for QB's and WR's

Not a rookie anymore, Trent. Flech and Alexander have been making a lot of noise about our players-only minicamps... I don't think either of those guys play QB or WR.

But I'm sure Lorenzo could ;)

i would assume placing someone on IR is just a wiser move. Without wasting a roster spot. Cheap at $470000 in 2010. And you assume the coaching staff knew they were weak in the WR department (especially with height). so on IR allows him to come in and compete for one more year.

From the business/operations side of things, I agree that it completely makes sense, however, the sentiment of the move still implies Kelly could be useful to this team. Like, Gibbs Hog Heaven said, unless something changed after last season that we all are privy too, then Kelly still has potential in the eyes of the FO.

As far as Kiem's reporting goes, I think he does pretty good job. For me, I am just wondering if he knows something we don't.

You pay me the millions these guy's get paid and I am going through my own boot camp with personal trainers before all of this even began. Then again, hard to get motivated when you don't know if you will be having a season.

For those who say he isn't injury prone - fine, go split hairs I don't care but the fact is he hasn't contributed at all. For a second round pick that's bad. Regardless, I really wanted the Skins to draft him that year and said as much many times here in posts. I like the guy and I want him to be healthy and contribute but I think that time is running out on him here.

I actually couldn't agree with you more. I just get tired of the constant annoying jokes about how fragile he is. I still think he has a lot of potential, size you can't teach and the best hands on the team. Kelly has always struck me as a very fluid player - not very fast or quick but just fluid. Nice long strides, in and out of his breaks without seeming to slow down and has a natural knack for bringing the ball in with his hands to his body. Just like you, I'm hoping for a guy that really breaks out this year. I'm still excited about what he could potentially bring to this offense but just like with all the hype about the rookies, I will remain skeptical until I see it on the field.

Me too. Todays list for those that care :ols:

Day 2 of the Washington Redskins’ player-led informal minicamp drew 31 members of the team again Wednesday. A former Redskin was there as well.

Cornerback Justin Tryon, whom Washington traded to the Indianapolis Colts last season, also showed up for the workouts. His former teammates saw him and yelled “Redskins only!” Tryon laughed, and Brian Orakpo told him to take his Colts’ pants off. “Don’t be stealing our defense!,” said linebacker London Fletcher.

Tryon said, “I already know it,” grinned and ran onto the field.

Receiver Anthony Armstrong and safety Kareem Moore attended the workout on Wednesday after missing Tuesday’s practice. Wideout Malcolm Kelly and linebacker Rocky McIntosh were absent after attending Tuesday.

The full list of players on hand:

OFFENSE:

WR Anthony Armstrong, WR Brandon Banks, QB John Beck, OL Selvish Capers, TE Chris Cooley, QB Rex Grossman, OL Kory Lichtensteiger, OL Will Montgomery, OL Clint Oldenburg, TE Logan Paulsen, FB Mike Sellers, RB Chad Simpson, RB Ryan Torain, RB Keiland Williams, FB Darrel Young, WR Leonard Hankerson, OL Maurice Hurt, WR Aldrick Robinson and RB Evan Royster.

DEFENSE:

LB Lorenzo Alexander, DB Kevin Barnes, LB London Fletcher, DE Kedric Golston, S Chris Horton, LB Rob Jackson, S Kareem Moore, LB Brian Orakpo, S Anderson Russell, DB DeJon Gomes, LB Ryan Kerrigan and NT Chris Neild.

I just want the man to be able to do one of those freestyles after the Redskins win the NFC Championship Game/Super Bowl. We need a big man, and if he can finally step in and produce, it'll allow us to address other positions in the draft next season, namely the interior offensive line, with those 2nd-5th round picks.

Come on Malcolm, you got it!

Well, these are just groups of players, so I can understand why he'd try to join since it's probably the closest player workout to where he currently lives. Technically, there is nothing officially "Redskin" about this workout.

That's what I frist thought, but then aren't they running actul plays. I thought the vets had playbooks they were sharing with the rooks??

That's what I frist thought, but then aren't they running actul plays. I thought the vets had playbooks they were sharing with the rooks??

I'm sure they are, but we don't play Indy for 3 more years and I'm sure they have the terminology we used just last year, right?

Either way, I doubt there is any intent on Tryon's part. I could be wrong, but I'd bet he's just looking to run some drills with the guys.

Tryon being there is no different then any one of those guys being there if they are eventually cut or released. Everything im sure, is extremely "vanilla" right now and just good exercise, repetition and comradery, with some of the terminology for the "rooks"

---------- Post added June-16th-2011 at 04:35 PM ----------

>>Receiver Malcolm Kelly is taking new measures to try to avoid the injuries that have derailed his career to this point.

“The thing with me has always been, OK, as soon as we’re ready to go, something happens,” Kelly said. “So I’ve been seeing the chiropractor a lot more, making sure my alignment is good, making sure I stretch a whole lot more. I’m about to start yoga classes. I’m just making sure my body is intact.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/redskins-watch/2011/jun/16/notes-quotes-and-observations-redskins-informal-mi/?cache

Archived