When does the lockout end?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. When does the lockout end?

• The End is Near, the Lockout ends before Training Camps
    • The Lockout will be Resolved, but we will Miss some of Preseason
    • The Lockout will be Resolved, but we will Miss some of the Regular Season
    • There Will be no Football in the NFL this year
    • Other (please explain)

Is it just the on field stuff that matters, in your opinion?

Great list. I like where you're going. You started to get closer to my belief in the last few paragraphs there. (By the way, just because I believe it doesn't mean I think it's the only way...) :)

---------- Post added June-13th-2011 at 12:39 PM ----------

No it's not. I could make up any crap that I want to and say that it will build a winner. You have already said there is someplace you are going with this thread. So you already have the answer you have in mind and are probably waiting for someone else to validate it or you are waiting to prove someone wrong. If you want to talk about how to build a winner, then do it without baiting people so you can feel superior. (That is *MY* take on what you are doing)

I am not being an ass, just calling it like I see it.

You are an ass. You're calling it wrong. And you're assumptions are sad. It's a discussion forum. Facilitating conversation isn't doing anything you accused me of doing. You have quite the hard on for me. Carry on with your day, good sir.

Combination of heart, dedication, and skills.

And of course some cohesiveness wouldn't hurt. Even with sports that have only one individual playing, everybody from trainers to assistants has to be on the same page.

Just take a look of past dynasties in any sport, all of them have what I am talking about.

Combination of heart, dedication, and skills.

And of course some cohesiveness wouldn't hurt. Even with sports that have only one individual playing, everybody from trainers to assistants has to be on the same page.

Just take a look of past dynasties in any sport, all of them have what I am talking about.

This is almost completely my belief as well. I think winning is a by product of doing the "little things" correctly, unless your talent is so far superior to your opponents that doing the little things doesn't matter. You see the talent gap moreso in interscholastic and intercollegiate athletics, and less in the NFL.

I think there are a TON of little things, and I don't think anyone, aside from one guy who would rather make assumptions than participate, is wrong in this thread. It's the make up of the little things that interests me. What ARE the little things. Surely it's not just what you listed. (This could be a HUGE task to take on. But, I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts) :)

---------- Post added June-13th-2011 at 12:50 PM ----------

No....

This question seems to come out of left field. What did I write that gave you that idea?

Facilitating conversation. Nothing more, nothing less :)

You were talking about on field stuff (and strategy) and I know you don't think just that way having read a lot of what you type, so I wanted you to expand :)

In no particular order, and repeating some of the thoughts already posted:

• ID problems; determine why the problems happen; figure out a solution to the cause (not necessarily to the problem); keep track of these over time, and analyze to see if there are any patterns; if there are, it probably means there's a cause that wasn't apparent before, and you need to address that
  • Train you coaching staff to manage the players consistently and in the direction you want; coaches like players have different personalities, so their styles will vary and that's fine, but their goals should be the same, and it is essential they treat their players as fairly as possible, in a consistent way
  • Set the character bar, communicate your expectations, and enforce the rules for everyone; punish those that don't comply, consistently
  • Research trends in playcalling, O and D formations, etc., and look for innovative ways to best the most cutting-edge ones; attempt to be on the cutting edge yourself
  • Study your opponents - not just film and stats, but also how they react under pressure; this tells you what their panic reaction will likely be and gives you a better understanding of what you can expect
  • Concentrate on the draft and minimize big FA signings - FA should be used to acquire bargains and must-have gap fillers
  • Make your players better through good coaching; expect that you will have a constant stream of players leaving for big FA paydays, and accept it, it's a good thing
  • Have a clear succession plan and make sure your second and third stringers are ready to go if they get the call; plan for injuries and test that your planning is sound

My general strategy would be to force the other team to always react to what I am doing, not be reactionary.

On Defense, I'm not a proponent of either the 3-4 or 4-3, but I favor an attacking style defense. One that will force the opposing offense to change what they are doing. There are a million ways to build this, but look at the blue-prints from years past. But my overall plan would be to find a defense that attacks from every level.

On Offense, you're looking for a balanced attack, that will attack sideline to sideline, and from the LOS to the end zone at any time. Become predictable, and you lose your advantage. The offense should have the tactical advantage at the snap of the ball, because they know what they are trying to accomplish. When you get predictable or one dimensional, you give up that advantage. There's nothing wrong with calling a play that's designed to go 15-20 yards on 3rd and 2. Just like there's nothing wrong with calling a run play designed to pick up 3 yards on 3rd and 2. Do both. Keep the defense guessing.

I personally don't have a run-pass ratio or formula. Just be very aggressive, and force the defense to cover every inch of the field on every play.

Awesome stuff, guys, keep it coming. MSF brings up a great point in my opinion about identifying problems. I think coaches need to pretend like they have a crystal ball and try to see into the future. It won't always work out, but it can help to solve issues.

VoR with his preemptive strike stuff is fascinating as well :)

I think there are a TON of little things, and I don't think anyone, aside from one guy who would rather make assumptions than participate, is wrong in this thread. It's the make up of the little things that interests me. What ARE the little things. Surely it's not just what you listed. (This could be a HUGE task to take on. But, I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts) :)

Here are a few little things:

• Drill the exchanges: C/QB, LS/PH/K, LS/P, QB/RB, QB/receivers; they should be as close to automatic as possible
  • Orderly, tight huddle: one person calls it, there's a clear leader who does the talking, everyone breaks at the same time - this should be crisp and businesslike
  • Anyone dogging it is called out then and there
  • Messages, punishments and rewards are consistent; there are no obvious favorites or goats
  • Fundamentals are constantly reviewed and lapses are corrected: tackling, blocking, routes, etc.
  • Ritual and team cohesiveness are encouraged
  • Don't always operate on the assumption things will execute as planned; practice some of the likely scenarios where there are issues with execution so that players aren't caught thinking when they should be executing the back up plan; think of things like the tip drill or the fumble recovery hogpile your coaches always saved for a rainy/muddy day; those things helped you prepare for the unexpected

KDawg ~ This is almost completely my belief as well. I think winning is a by product of doing the "little things" correctly, unless your talent is so far superior to your opponents that doing the little things doesn't matter. You see the talent gap moreso in interscholastic and intercollegiate athletics, and less in the NFL.*

I think there are a TON of little things, and I don't think anyone, aside from one guy who would rather make assumptions than participate, is wrong in this thread. It's the make up of the little things that interests me. What*ARE*the little things. Surely it's not*just*what you listed. (This could be a HUGE task to take on. But, I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts)

Think of the coach's job as a complex set of decisions set in a hierarchy with priority levels one at the top through level six at the bottom. What you're saying is that the decisions made at level six make the difference between winning and losing.

I can't agree with that.

The decisions that a coach makes at level one will determine the kind of decisions made at all lower levels.

Example: In my day, if you had a dominant O-line, a split-T offense was a great strategy, because it used your talent to good advantage. But, if you didn't have a dominant O-line, no amount of hard work on the little things could cover up the fact that you, the coach, gave your team a disadvantage over the competition if you installed the Split T.

. coach what you have not what you wish you had (adjust your scheme to fit the talent) but have a clear vision of the identity and scheme you want to build towards on both sides of the ball.

. Ensure this vision is communicated, understood and shared by your scouting/personnel folks and your coaching staff.

. Set the standards of execution and attention to detail you preach - meetings and practices start on time, have a clear purpose, have high intensity and are reviewed and constantly improved on. Hold people accountable and do not accept mediocrity in anything.

. Hire good coaches who buy into your longer term vision and then let them coach.

. Emphasis on execution and consistency. Focus on fundementals of blocking, tackling and ball security.

. Create a culture of competition based on fairness and equality of opportunity. No favorites - best guy plays.

. Encourage players to not fear failure. Critique failure constructively and focus on improvement.

. Get good talent! It's a lot easier to win if your guys are better than their guys.

I think the main thing is you need to have a medium term vision - at least 3-5 years out - which creates a framework for your decision making. You then need a short term - this year - plan which fits into and helps achieve this vision.

I was going to add stay medium but perhaps not ......

Think of the coach's job as a complex set of decisions set in a hierarchy with priority levels one at the top through level six at the bottom. What you're saying is that the decisions made at level six make the difference between winning and losing.

I can't agree with that.

The decisions that a coach makes at level one will determine the kind of decisions made at all lower levels.

Example: In my day, if you had a dominant O-line, a split-T offense was a great strategy, because it used your talent to good advantage. But, if you didn't have a dominant O-line, no amount of hard work on the little things could cover up the fact that you, the coach, gave your team a disadvantage over the competition.

You imply that by little things I mean just on field strategies and techniques.

When I say little things, I mean instilling, from youth on, good morals, good character, the importance of loyalty, hard work and dedication.

At the youth level basic skills, with great core values that they can understand.

Interscholastically, more advanced skills with more core values.

Intercollegiately, very advanced skills with more adult based values and reinforcing previous values.

Professionally, top of the line skills, and the values should already be in place, but reinforced.

What kind of system you run is dependent on personnel. A coach looking to win, such as this thread, wouldn't run a Split-T with a poor OL. :)

Its not an easy to answer question, but I think a big part of it depends on the GM. Assuming a team rebuilt proper throught the draft, all things equal, its important to use the players that the GM got you, to their strengths, collectively, as there is no i in team. Design the offense and defense accordingly, make sure that all the pieces fit together, and work as one. The QB and OC must be on the same page. Dont be predictable; dictate to opponents, other times sure, read and react, keep them guessing. And attack an opponents weaknesses. Copy successes around the league, or be willing to have a piece of humble pie, if yours isnt working, and adjust. Brady and Manning are in shotgun a lot, and get to audible? Fresh bodies on defense, continuity on offense. Clock management.

Part of coaching may also involve avoiding the do not's... fairly well documented here in recent years and maybe easier to answer.The most recent? Don't try to win now (McNabb for picks) at the same time, reinvent the wheel on defense. Dont hire a 4-3 assistant to install a 3-4. Dont try a swinging gate when the defense knows its coming. If a player doesn't 'fit the team, don't outcast him and let it be a media circus distraction for 6 months. Basics.

Its not an easy to answer question, but I think a big part of it depends on the GM. Assuming a team rebuilt proper throught the draft, all things equal, its important to use the players that the GM got you, to their strengths, collectively, as there is no i in team. Design the offense and defense accordingly, make sure that all the pieces fit together, and work as one. The QB and OC must be on the same page. Dont be predictable; dictate to opponents, other times sure, read and react, keep them guessing. And attack an opponents weaknesses. Copy successes around the league, or be willing to have a piece of humble pie, if yours isnt working, and adjust. Peyton and Manning are in shotgun a lot, and get to audible? Fresh bodies on defense, continuity on offense. Clock management.

Part of coaching may also involve avoiding the do not's... fairly well documented here in recent years and maybe easier to answer.The most recent? Don't try to win now (McNabb for picks) at the same time, reinvent the wheel on defense. Dont hire a 4-3 assistant to install a 3-4. Dont try a swinging gate when the defense knows its coming. If a player doesn't 'fit the team, don't outcast him and let it be a media circus distraction for 6 months. Basics.

I like all of what you typed here. Very basic, sure, but great points.

I like all of what you typed here. Very basic, sure, but great points.

Thanks, it could easily be a complex answer so I tried to keep it simple. By the time its answered fully and correctly, I hope one would realize that you are in the wrong profession. Keep up the good threads you always seem to start, and follow up on.

In my original post it should have read, Brady and Manning, not Peyton and Manning...

If there was any sure thing as win in any sport, then every one would know how to.

But well, I'm gonna try it KDawg.

First things first, Winning starts with your players. And here, I'm a big fan of technical, smart players over raw brute players. Why? Simply because smart and technical guys usually plays on technics more than pure strength. Thus, they are hurt less than the others because they make the movement the way it's meant to be done. They're being efficient, and get the job done. You don't need to have 11 nasty hitters on defense to do the job. One or two is more than enough. Sure it's nice to have a unit that is known as something that will hit you hard every time you touch the ball, but it's better to have players that can read what's coming, where to be and of course, what to do, because it's gonna give opponent coach lots of headache figuring out how to manage it.

Being smart in a game can be teached to a certain level. Game tape is a thing, but by stopping every play during training 1 or 2 seconds after the snap and ask a few players what are they doing, what's going on, where are they helps them getting aware of what's going on on the field. You don't need tourists that are just here to play and doesn't care about their teammates. Important thing here is to stop during the action so every one can see the game develop, and correct them in the play.

Thus, you're trying to come out with a core of players that is mostly aware of football. Perhaps just not as physical as your opponents, but you'll be able to overcome that. When you're technical and smart, yu'll know how to get rid of an Albert Haynesworth-type guy with ease if you keep your head in the game.

Regarding game plan, I'm being on the psychological side of it. There's nothing like calling a '57 Blowjob 83' audible play (even if it means nothing, to deconcentrate one or two guy on the DL just before the snap. Don't do it on every snap, just once a game or two.

Have lots of motion from your WRs, TEs, RB, here again to take the defense off guard while their player are shifting and such, so they're still one or two second behind the play.

On Defense, it's harder to use that kind of things, but you can also take your opponent on its strengths. Take the best WR man-to-man on every play. You might get beat some times, but usually you'll get the other WR nervous and not concentrate on the game any more by being caught on every play with someone in his pants is an example if your opponent is pass happy. If he runs heavy, forces him to run somewhere, create holes on the lane to force him to go here. You willingfully create bait in your defense to have the offense go where you want. If they like to run left, close everything but the left, so they'll trap themselves in a one dimension willingly.

It doesn't matter if you eat a few plays early in the game. You'll be able to overcome that by tiring the opponents.

And one last thing, each time to win the toss, choose to kick. So you'll receive at the beginning at the second. Try to control the ball most often in the first half, so you end the first half with your offense on the field. If you control it nicely you end up with an opportunity to score 14 points in a row without the other offense being on the field.

But mostly, most of the things you need to do to win are done off the field that on the field :)

Think like a winner and be a winner are the first steps. Get the best players I can. Make sure my guys know that they have control of most of my decisions, not that they tell me what to do but that if they do their jobs to the best of their ability, they will get what their best deserves (for example, no favorites and use as few financial incentives as possible). Outsmart my opponents in the simplest way possible. Try to figure out how to make my opponents play as dumb as possible.

Work hand in hand with whoever is in charge of personnel to ensure we get players that a.) fit our system and b.) are complimentary to other players we already have.

Create an environment in which their is nothing greater than the team, and players are actually accountable to one another.

Drill in everyone's head cheesy themes, like how hard you practice is how hard you play.

Identify and copy successful trends as quickly as possible.

Use a slip-n-slide to help QB's learn how to slide.

I don't think its that hard to build a winner...

-draft run blocking offensive linemen (they can be found more easy when they specialize only in run blocking)

-have a bunch of running backs that know their role (none of them have to be a star and let it be a committee)

-4-3 defense (its easy to build in the short term since run stopping DTs are easy to find...use high draft picks on your ends though)

-experienced secondary with young depth that can potentially develop into starters one day

I think this is a great starting point...you can build off these things. Yes, they would start off being a smash mouth football team, but as they develop a star WR and above average QB can take em to the promised land...

Archived