Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Funny Video: 1987 Redskins "replacements" beat the Cowboys on Monday Night.

Commander PK

Courtesy of NFL.com.

I remember this game well. Also the game that directly inspired the movie "The Replacements." Good to see Frank Herzog again. I had no idea they had plucked Tony Robinson right out of prison. :ols: Also, as is said in the video an excellent example about how "heart" can overcome "talent." Fat Al should take note.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-top-ten/09000d5d8111b667/Top-Ten-Biggest-Upsets-The-Replacements

So this is all the NFL gives it's fans. A small feature on one of their overproduced shows.

Sure is great that instead of allowing fans who want to watch the ENTIRE game on Youtube, a game like 99 percent of the games played not available anywhere, they decide to invoke "copyright" bull****. I guess it makes sense if I think about it. I mean why would anyone who could actually watch the ENTIRE game want to watch edited, over produced and glossy crap like this? I know I never watch this type of crap when I can actually watch the game itself from my library.

Sorry for the rant. I just feel bad for the majority of fans who would love to be able to watch entire games and can not do so because the NFL has to protect NFL Films and it's over produced junk.

Despite what actual NFL Players may think...I think that these guys SHOULD be given Super Bowl Rings...they went 3-0 where as the Giants finished 0-3...had these records been reversed then we would not have made the playoffs, and therefore no Super Bowl. There ended up being so much that would ride on this game but also our 2 other replacement games.

It is the NFL that provides Super Bowl rings and since these games WERE sanctioned by the NFL it is only right...whether or not you agree with the use of replacment players they DID contribute to our season. Darrel Green's punt return vs Chicago? The goal line stand vs Minnesota? None of it heppens wihtout these guys.

These guys need to get their due...

After the cowboy team crossed the picket line, everyone said that the Redskins didn't have a chance. It was a real great feeling after the game was over and we realized that our replacements actually won the game. From what I remember the Redskins had a lot of undrafted players on $1000 dollar retainers before the strike started, they were prepared for it in advance. I can't remember now who it was but wasn't one of the replacements signed to the team?

After the cowboy team crossed the picket line, everyone said that the Redskins didn't have a chance. It was a real great feeling after the game was over and we realized that our replacements actually won the game. From what I remember the Redskins had a lot of undrafted players on $1000 dollar retainers before the strike started, they were prepared for it in advance. I can't remember now who it was but wasn't one of the replacements signed to the team?
Yep. Anthony Allen. 8 catches for 255 yds in first strike game. Still the team record. Stuck with the team after the strike ended and got a SB ring.

Despite what actual NFL Players may think...I think that these guys SHOULD be given Super Bowl Rings...they went 3-0 where as the Giants finished 0-3...had these records been reversed then we would not have made the playoffs, and therefore no Super Bowl. There ended up being so much that would ride on this game but also our 2 other replacement games.

It is the NFL that provides Super Bowl rings and since these games WERE sanctioned by the NFL it is only right...whether or not you agree with the use of replacment players they DID contribute to our season. Darrel Green's punt return vs Chicago? The goal line stand vs Minnesota? None of it heppens wihtout these guys.

I agree that these guys should get rings but if you remove the strike games then the Skins still win the division and still have the same seed. In fact, I read somewhere that if you removed the replacement games the playoff teams wouldn't have changed a bit.

Agreed. They contributed to 3 of the wins. But they were not part of the players union, which probably plays a part in it.

I agree that these guys should get rings but if you remove the strike games then the Skins still win the division and still have the same seed. In fact, I read somewhere that if you removed the replacement games the playoff teams wouldn't have changed a bit.

I see what you mean, but think about this...if the Giants had gone 3-0 and we went 0-3 then we would be 8-7 and the Giants would have been 9-6. (only 15 games that year in all). So much hinged on whether a team's replacements went 3-0 vs 0-3 or somewhere in the middle.

I see what you mean, but think about this...if the Giants had gone 3-0 and we went 0-3 then we would be 8-7 and the Giants would have been 9-6. (only 15 games that year in all). So much hinged on whether a team's replacements went 3-0 vs 0-3 or somewhere in the middle.

I agree with you. The replacements should get rings and be given their due. Of course, having inspired movie is pretty respectable.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."

And.....the head cheerleader is hot, she likes me, and we're gonna do it after I throw this TD pass. Oh yeah.

That was a great night. I love watching that game. Thanks OM....you're the best.

"Listen up! By this time tomorrow the strike will be officially over and you men will be out of a job. Up until now Dallas hasn't been afraid of you, and they should be because you have a powerful weapon working for you. There is no tomorrow for you, and that makes you all very dangerous people! "

Yep. Anthony Allen. 8 catches for 255 yds in first strike game. Still the team record. Stuck with the team after the strike ended and got a SB ring.

>> Dennis Woodberry (#46) - Threw the last block on DG's punt return vs. Bears and was also the ONLY replacement player to play in the SB that year.

>> A guy named Brillz also stuck around for awhile. I think he had a good game against Randy White. Jeff Bostic goes on a rant about Brillz in the 1987 America's Game Video.

> > Craig McKewen also stuck around and later played for San Diego.

>> A guy named Brillz also stuck around for awhile. I think he had a good game against Randy White. Jeff Bostic goes on a rant about Brillz in the 1987 America's Game Video.

"Randy got up and spit in my face and said 'You can't block me, kid'. And I said, 'Oh, yes I can!'" - Darrick Brilz,

---------- Post added June-13th-2011 at 08:43 AM ----------

Oh and you can watch the 1987 America's Game video here.

Archived