Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Jilted ex-boyfriend puts up abortion billboard

LeesburgSkinFan

ALAMOGORDO, N.M. – A New Mexico man's decision to lash out with a billboard ad saying his ex-girlfriend had an abortion against his wishes has touched off a legal debate over free speech and privacy rights.

The sign on Alamogordo's main thoroughfare shows 35-year-old Greg Fultz holding the outline of an infant. The text reads, "This Would Have Been A Picture Of My 2-Month Old Baby If The Mother Had Decided To Not KILL Our Child!"

Fultz's ex-girlfriend has taken him to court for harassment and violation of privacy. A domestic court official has recommended the billboard be removed.

But Fultz's attorney argues the order violates his client's free speech rights.

More at link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110606/ap_on_re_us/us_abortion_billboard

Freedom of speech or invasion of privacy?

I agree that he has a right to freedom of speech. But she should also have a right to privacy.

I hate to admit I agree with the SCOTUS and their decision on WBC, but they were not giving out personal information about the soldiers they were protesting. While they would picket a soldiers funeral, it wasn't personal against the soldier him/herself. This guy has a vendetta and I would hope the court rules against him for the sake of his target.

So fathers should just shut up and take it?....Hell No

Jessen says her client's ex-boyfriend has crossed the line.

"Nobody is stopping him from talking about father's rights. ... but a person can't invade someone's private life."

Removing any choice from the male AND telling him to shut up about it is invading his life....both public and private

If the billboard does not name or picture her it should be acceptable and is simply a expression of the fathers opinion.

I am sure TWA also would be okay if the woman had a billboard with all his faults and short comings and mistakes made posted for all to see

She can start with how he is a fornicator also

---------- Post added June-7th-2011 at 08:38 AM ----------

So fathers should just shut up and take it?....Hell No

Jessen says her client's ex-boyfriend has crossed the line.

"Nobody is stopping him from talking about father's rights. ... but a person can't invade someone's private life."

Removing any choice from the male AND telling him to shut up about it is invading his life....both public and private

If the billboard does not name or picture her it should be acceptable and is simply a expression of the fathers opinion.

Maybe he should have married her first and then planned for a child instead of getting her pregnant out of wed lock

I am sure TWA also would be okay if the woman had a billboard with all his faults and short comings and mistakes made posted for all to see

She can start with how he is a fornicator also

Why not?

relegating someone taking a child from your life to a mistake or shortcoming is foolish

Why not?

relegating someone taking a child from your life to a mistake or shortcoming is foolish

It is not a mistake beyond forgiveness and if this is how he and you want to treat and judge others you can count on the same sort of judgement applied to you

While I don't like this guy's tactics, I don't see that he's done anything illegal or that he should be liable for. I don't see how it's an invasion of privacy - he's allowed to state what happened to his child. It's certainly not libel or slander as truth is an absolute defense for both of those.

So I'm not seeing how she's got a case, quite frankly.

It is not a mistake beyond forgiveness and if this is how he and you want to treat and judge others you can count on the same sort of judgement applied to you

We are speaking of rights not religion or matters of faith.....I'm fine with being judged

How about we not sidetrack?

We are speaking of rights not religion or matters of faith.....I'm fine with being judged

How about we not sidetrack?

Hey if you and others want to assert rights on this matter than you can also take the responisabillity, if you want that control on another persons body they have the right to do the same to you

A father has legal responsibilities....and marriage changes nothing as far as a males choice in abortion.

This is a suppression of the fathers opinion even being expressed

How was her privacy violated by this billboard ? Were they a prominent couple in the area, whereas everyone would know who she was by seeing a picture of him ?

I doubt it.

Interesting tactic by him, but seemingly in poor taste.

Also something that should have been discussed before they started to have sex unprotected.

A father has legal responsibilities....and marriage changes nothing as far as a males choice in abortion.

This is a suppression of the fathers opinion even being expressed

This is beyond legal resposibiliies this is dictate what a person does with their body for the next 9 months, in that time to be fair a woman should be allowed to tell a man what he will do with his body for the the same nine month period

How was her privacy violated by this billboard ?

Health records are confidential. Abortion is a medical procedure. Revealing her medical history is a violation of privacy.

I'm not sure where I stand on this freedom of speech vs invasion of privacy, but it sure is an icky thing to do.

Actually, Larry's opinion is:

1) Daddy doesn't have the right to know about the abortion.

2) But, assuming that Daddy learned about the abortion legally, then once he learns about it, he has the right to speak about what he knows.

The boyfriend has no doctor/patient relationship with the girlfriend. He is not a "covered entity" and, thus, is free to reveal this information about her.

Is that so, legally speaking? If I get hold of your medical records or find out about something about you can I just blurt it out and broadcast it to the world? I could be wrong, but I don't think that's the case.

While I don't like this guy's tactics, I don't see that he's done anything illegal or that he should be liable for. I don't see how it's an invasion of privacy - he's allowed to state what happened to his child. It's certainly not libel or slander as truth is an absolute defense for both of those.

So I'm not seeing how she's got a case, quite frankly.

I agree with you, but the bolded portion is where the majority will disagree. They don't see the fetus as his child until the woman gives birth. Then he is responsible financially until 18 (22 if college is involved) to the mother. Yeah, fathers are ****ed in the legal system in this country. Mom can abort at will, dad can sit there and wait and see what mom does. And then, some of the women in this country use the child/children as negotiating ploys to get what they want or divorce. What legal resort do men have?

---------- Post added June-7th-2011 at 09:30 AM ----------

I'm pretty sure HIPAA makes it illegal for anyone to disclose her private health information without consent.

EDIT: just read some stuff and now I'm not sure.

Who Must Follow These Laws

We call the entities that must follow the HIPAA regulations covered entities.

Covered entities include:

- Health Plans, including health insurance companies, HMOs, company health plans, and certain government programs that pay for health care, such as Medicare and Medicaid.

- Most Health Care Providers—those that conduct certain business electronically, such as electronically billing your health insurance—including most doctors, clinics, hospitals, psychologists, chiropractors, nursing homes, pharmacies, and dentists.

- Health Care Clearinghouses—entities that process nonstandard health information they receive from another entity into a standard (i.e., standard electronic format or data content), or vice versa.

Who Is Not Required to Follow These Laws

Many organizations that have health information about you do not have to follow these laws.

Examples of organizations that do not have to follow the Privacy and Security Rules include:

- life insurers,

- employers,

- workers compensation carriers,

- many schools and school districts,

- many state agencies like child protective service agencies,

- many law enforcement agencies,

- many municipal offices.

Health records are confidential. Abortion is a medical procedure. Revealing her medical history is a violation of privacy.

I'm not sure where I stand on this freedom of speech vs invasion of privacy, but it sure is an icky thing to do.

IF he broke into the doctors office and stole her records to learn of it, I'd agree, but I don't think that's the case.

Let's remove the abortion part from it.

If somebody tells you they had a nose job and then you put up a billboard about it (w/o actually naming the person appearantly), would that be illegal?

Should the rules change for an abortion vs. a nose job?

Why?

Or let's it make it even more mild.

What about strep throat?

Archived