Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Lock Out Panic Meter Rising...

SoCalSkinsFan1975

Just saw this on ESPN. This is bad news all the way around. The first year we have a TON of rookies coming in and they will all be behind the 8 ball. I wonder how long this will go before the dreaded "SCABS" are a possibility. I don't believe they will let it get to that point, but I didn't think we would miss any games either. What do you think?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6569368

Being a lockout, I'm not sure they can allow scabs without allowing the normal players. The scab games of the 80's were done while the players were striking, not during a lockout.

That makes sense. I am not sure how this whole process works, all I know is that I am bummed their is no football and watching this video got me even more depressed! Hope they get this worked out soon!

Im still not too worried about it. I hate it b/c it makes this offseason boring but i dont think they will risk the chance of missing games. And i really hope im right about that

I thought that too, up until recently. The league seems prepared to miss the year and De Smith doesn't seem like he's going to back down. I hope I'm wrong though.

The owners still get the payday from the TV Networks if games are played or not. With no salaries to pay, I bet they are willing to miss a season - money for nothing.

No, they don't. The judge has put the 4 billion dollar TV money in a trust until a deal is made.

Well the problem, i think, with a prolonged lockout (even if they play all 16 games) is the quality of play. Even for the vets, if you don't have much time to practice and knock off the rust, the play on the field will be horrible. It would be even worse when considering the rookies.

Well the problem, i think, with a prolonged lockout (even if they play all 16 games) is the quality of play. Even for the vets, if you don't have much time to practice and knock off the rust, the play on the field will be horrible. It would be even worse when considering the rookies.

Sadly, that's the least of my concerns. I'd be thrilled at this point if we're lining up to play the Giants on 09/11...even if all the teams look rusty.

The owners still get the payday from the TV Networks if games are played or not. With no salaries to pay, I bet they are willing to miss a season - money for nothing.

That is a LOAN. The networks will loan the money to owners, that will be paid back upon the resumption of play. The owners will not get money free and clear with no product.

Also, I don't see how Schefter can say the players would have any leverage if the owners win the ruling from this hearing. If the NFL and owners win, they hold all the cards, and the players will come back with their collective tails between their legs. Players should negotiate from the last proposal the owners put on the table, which would have benefitted both parties. Longer this goes on the more distugted I become with certain players, and, especially, DeMaurice Smith.

Being a lockout, I'm not sure they can allow scabs without allowing the normal players. The scab games of the 80's were done while the players were striking, not during a lockout.

Yep, cannot bring in scabs unless the lockout is lifted but some sort of union is officially recognized (the NFLPA is not officially a labor union at this time) and the players go on strike. I guess if the NFL decided to shut down operations but NFL-type football was still played, you could call those who play scabs but you would not be technically correct

agreed. i think when it boils down to it neither side wants to miss the season, and at some point somebody will cave.

I used to think that until I saw this clip. Also, the fact that nothing will be resolved for at least another month and a half means that even if football resumes and their are no games missed, their will be zero prep time especially for the rookies! I am still holding out a little hope that once the players start missing checks they will get antsy and settle. At least this means we won't miss the whole season. And hey, if no one gets to prepare and the overall performance of the legue is substandard football... we may be competitive quicker than we think! :)

This might be a question that cannot be answered right now but i'll throw it out there. Is there a cutoff before the entire season is lost? If it's settled in November would they play or just call it a wash and comeback next year.?

I don't know that they could organize anything fast enough at that point. I mean, you'd basically be redoing a schedule, since some teams will have played more division games than others (based on the currently planned schedule) and there would be a ton of other, more complicated issues to deal with.

The bottom line is, IF this thing actually lasted until November, a LOT of players would be in some serious pain economically. There's no way in the world that Smith will be able to hold his party together for two solid months while none of them are getting paid. The players might not like whatever deal the owners are offering, but by November there would be enough of an outcry that players might try to go out on their own to get this done, over the "unions" heads even. The top 10% of players might be okay, but even some of those guys don't know what a budget or investment is (see Carlos).

I just don't think the players can carry this past the first few games, the gap that would form between players would be enormous. The 80% of players who aren't made for life are going to quit listening to the Drew Brees's of the world since he's got 10s of millions in the bank and will be eating out every night while making his "valiant" stand against the owners, and other guys will be worried about taking care of family and bills.

The longer this lasts, especially if it goes into the season, the worse this is for the players, and the worse the eventual deal will be for them. A starving man is only so picky with what food he gets offered. A couple games in and the players group mentality will crumble. Smith knows this, I'm assuming, so he doesn't want this to go into the season, not since the owners can lock out the players (at least it seems they've got the upper hand in the June 3rd case). If the lockout wasn't allowed, then the players would have continued the antitrust trial for as long as it took for the owners to come crying back to the table. Now that the courts have turned against Smith, it might be the other way around.

From everything I have read and hear it seems to be Demaurice Smith and a few players keeping this thing from getting done.

That has been what I have heard as well. Not like I am connected to the situation or anything, I am as plugged in as the next guy. I am just ready for this to be over so we can see some football.

Pash said he thinks attitude among his group, and the players, will be key going into the next phase of talks. The next negotiation session between the sides is the court-order mediation, set for June 7 and 8 in the Minneapolis chambers of U.S. Magistrate Judge Arthur Boylan.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ff7bcd/article/owners-talk-strategy-at-spring-meeting-as-lockout-continues?module=HP_headlines

Cmon guys lets just get this thing done so we can start bickering about which free agent we will sign.

Pash said he thinks attitude among his group, and the players, will be key going into the next phase of talks. The next negotiation session between the sides is the court-order mediation, set for June 7 and 8 in the Minneapolis chambers of U.S. Magistrate Judge Arthur Boylan.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ff7bcd/article/owners-talk-strategy-at-spring-meeting-as-lockout-continues?module=HP_headlines

Cmon guys lets just get this thing done so we can start bickering about which free agent we will sign.

The ONLY way this thing will get done Quickly is if De. Smith is out of the picture.

There was an old west-wing episode where there was a labor impasse between truckers and the owners. And the president threatened to draft everybody into the Army at midnight if they couldn't come up with an agreement. Times when I wish TV were reality, not just reality TV...

So, my thought on this is that this is going to get worked out in the first two weeks of July one way or another. I just can't see either the owners or the players wanting to actually lose real money. Which means that training camp needs to start around the beginning of August. Which means that they need a little time for FA. So, I'm thinking that in order to get a full season in, we're looking at July15th as about the date to shoot for.

The 8th circuit court of appeals will hear the case on June 3rd, and are expected to rule "quickly" whatever that means, but probably in late June or early July. Once that ruling comes out, one side will have leverage, and a deal should be made.

What is just truly frustrating to me, and I blame the players on this 100%, is that they chose to take this to the courts. And they've only met like 10 times since March, and those were all court ordered mediation sessions. They should be meeting daily, every day, somewhere, until this thing is worked out. It doesn't benefit anybody not to meet.

But now that it's in the courts, everybody has to wait and see what they are going to do.

This whole thing sucks, I'm tired of it, and I think that both Godell and D. Smith should be fired for incompetence.

Archived