Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per PFT (via SportsJunkies on 106.7): McNabb refused to wear a wristband

Popeman38

The way the Junkies explained it, Snyder was pissed at Shanahan for not making McNabb wear the wrist band.

Not sure how he could have done that, but he did the next best thing by benching him.

I think the only way Shanahan could force him to wear it, is the way he did. Threaten to bench the player.

The real issue is....should you have to force your starting QB to learn the offense?

smh...I'm with Shanny. If he's more concerned with not looking stupid than winning ballgames, I cut my losses right then and there.

Mcnabb part is true, Snyder's is not. This happend during Detroit week and is why Rex was on alert to play and lead to benching.

Certainly seems realistic, as much as media types like to make up stuff about Snyder, however I could see how a boss would be mad at a manager for allowing this to occur without firing said employee. The comment was made like Snyder was mad at Shannahan for taking him to task but that might not be exactly what he was pissed at to begin with. I however know less than you, but without actually still would agree it is much more likely.

---------- Post added May-12th-2011 at 03:52 PM ----------

The way the Junkies explained it, Snyder was pissed at Shanahan for not making McNabb wear the wrist band.

Not sure how he could have done that, but he did the next best thing by benching him.

makes much more sense.

Right, but what is Shanahan supposed to do in that situation? McNabb wouldn't wear it so he was benched, end of story.

Mcnabb part is true, Snyder's is not. This happend during Detroit week and is why Rex was on alert to play and lead to benching.

Thanks for the clarification.

I don't think Shanahan asking McNabb to wear a wristband is insulting at all.

What a mess this has become.

Isn't breaking news, this was known that he never wore one or ever would wear one. Maybe living in Philly i knew this, but this isn't a big surprise at all.

Lmao...this is hilarious! I hated this trade to begin with, thought he was a minor upgrade over Campbell, but just too old/costly for a rebuilding team. But I had no idea....

You're saying for his entire career in Philly...he flat out refused to wear a wristband? Seems insane to me, who the hell does this guy think he is?

If I'm thinking that, you know the other players and coaches are. I guess it didn't matter in Philly so much after he learned the offense, but here....

Can you imagine the look on Shanny's face when McNabb refused to wear it? Tastes like chicken, indeed.

It's ironic that he didn't want to wear a wristband because he didn't want to look dumb... and he looks rather dumb for not wearing it.

Never liked McNabb and I'll have a fine scotch the day he is off this team.

I could understand McNabb not wearing it in Philly maybe, considering he could recite that offense in is sleep.

But in a brand new offense, if he's showing signs of struggling to pick it up, he refuses because it "looks stupid?!"

Ridiculous.

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-redskins/2011/5/12/2167877/donovan-mcnabb-mike-shanahan-dan-snyder

"And the coach is like, 'What are you talking about?'" Bickel jumped in. "Tom Brady wears a wristband. Drew Brees wears a wristband."

"And Kyle [shanahan] is saying, 'Look, it's better for you," Bishop continued. "It helps you. It doesn't mean you're stupid. It doesn't mean you don't know the plays. Hall of Famers wear wristbands. But he said, 'No.'"

A ton of outrage follows, until Bishop reveals the second part of the story.

"So they're having this power lunch, power dinner at the Super Bowl with Fletcher Smith (McNabb's agent), Bruce Allen, Mike Shanahan and Dan Snyder. At some point, this topic comes up," he said.

"At that point, when Snyder heard that, Snyder apparently went ballistic and said, 'Are you effing kidding me?' Why did I hire you as the head coach? I'm paying you $7 million a year to be the head coach, and you can't get your guy to wear a wristband? Are you serious? If he's on the team next year, you're making him wear the wristband," he said.

Bishop said Shanahan and Snyder then began arguing, and Smith and Allen "didn't know what to do." Again, take this for what you will, but the whole thing is so Redskins if you think about it.

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-redskins/2011/5/12/2167877/donovan-mcnabb-mike-shanahan-dan-snyder

"And the coach is like, 'What are you talking about?'" Bickel jumped in. "Tom Brady wears a wristband. Drew Brees wears a wristband."

"And Kyle [shanahan] is saying, 'Look, it's better for you," Bishop continued. "It helps you. It doesn't mean you're stupid. It doesn't mean you don't know the plays. Hall of Famers wear wristbands. But he said, 'No.'"

A ton of outrage follows, until Bishop reveals the second part of the story.

"So they're having this power lunch, power dinner at the Super Bowl with Fletcher Smith (McNabb's agent), Bruce Allen, Mike Shanahan and Dan Snyder. At some point, this topic comes up," he said.

"At that point, when Snyder heard that, Snyder apparently went ballistic and said, 'Are you effing kidding me?' Why did I hire you as the head coach? I'm paying you $7 million a year to be the head coach, and you can't get your guy to wear a wristband? Are you serious? If he's on the team next year, you're making him wear the wristband," he said.

Bishop said Shanahan and Snyder then began arguing, and Smith and Allen "didn't know what to do." Again, take this for what you will, but the whole thing is so Redskins if you think about it.

Snyder is a little *****, so I could actually believe that his reaction might be accurately portrayed by this...

Snyder is a little *****, so I could actually believe that his reaction might be accurately portrayed by this...

Do you not see why Snyder would be upset at something like that?

And if this is all true, I wonder if it hurts McNabb's trade value?

I'd be inclined to believe the second part of the story if one of our sources hadn't debunked it.

Wasn't McNabb's extension signed after this point in time? Why would they extend a contract offer to someone that they didn't feel like was their long term solution after week 3?

This rings true. Even if it didn't happen, at least it seems plausible.

LOL all over a wristband. McNabb comes off as a little...stupid in this disaster, ironically :D

And to the other poster, that contract never did make sense to me. It gives the Skins an out with McNabb, which is good...but makes it impossible to resign or trade him at that salary. I suppose its possible they didn't anticipate the lockout lasting this long.

I'd be inclined to believe the second part of the story if one of our sources hadn't debunked it.

Wasn't McNabb's extension signed after this point in time? Why would they extend a contract offer to someone that they didn't feel like was their long term solution after week 3?

So they could trade him? Otherwise he walks

Bishop said Shanahan and Snyder then began arguing, and Smith and Allen "didn't know what to do."[/b] Again, take this for what you will, but the whole thing is so Redskins if you think about it.

That just seems stupid to me. Even if Snyder did say that, is Mike supposed to run out onto the field and slip a wristband around McNabb's wrist? I don't see how thet is Mike's fault.

Look at the way the story is broken down by Bishop...

Couldn't have been said better by a kid in school... typical he said, she said BS but it dosen't make it any less false. Just saying that Bishop speaking as the third person in this case would leave me highly suspicious to even believe Snyder lashing out at Shanahan the way that he did.

I mean, really, you're going to condemn the one man who took on this job to clean up the last decade of manure left by you and Vinny Cross-over... despite this being about a wristband, I'd thought Shanahan demanded alot more respect thansome story being told by the third person... Bishop.

Do you not see why Snyder would be upset at something like that?

And if this is all true, I wonder if it hurts McNabb's trade value?

I can understand why he would be upset at McNabb, not necessarily Shanahan. The coaches told McNabb to wear the wristband. He refused and got benched. What else can you do to him to make him wear it?

No trade we get back for him would've been worth $3.5 mil. They had to know by benching him late in the season that they were further hurting his value if they really wanted to trade him. And it isn't even like they gave Beck the chance to show what he has. They started Grossman, who probably won't even be back.

I still don't see why they didn't pull the offer off the table, or offer him a lot less. That's part of the reason why I could see Snyder flipping out if it was true. And I wouldn't blame him in this scenario.

So they could trade him? Otherwise he walks

I think the Snyder part is a bit over-stated. I am sure it did not go down quite as Bishop relates. I can see Snyder saying something along those lines to Shanny but more tongue-in-cheek rather than a ballistic blow-up. There is not much more Shanny could have done in this situation.

It does say they began arguing after Snyder went off so who knows..

Actually, I don't think Snyder has the balls to berate Mike Shanahan in front of a group of people. The man is a red faced, evil troll. This is coming from someone who likes Shanny compared to our recent coaches.

I really doubt Shanny takes **** from anyone.

That just seems stupid to me. Even if Snyder did say that, is Mike supposed to run out onto the field and slip a wristband around McNabb's wrist? I don't see how thet is Mike's fault.

Because it isn't just about mandating that someone do something because you're the boss. Shanahan is not proving himself to be an effective motivator. Guys wanted to play for Gibbs, and wanted to perform for him. With Shanahan, it's another example, in his first year no less, of someone that didn't want to do what he asked. And it's a waste of Snyder's money.

Archived