Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per PFT (via SportsJunkies on 106.7): McNabb refused to wear a wristband

Popeman38

Actually, I don't think Snyder has the balls to berate Mike Shanahan in front of a group of people. The man is a red faced, evil troll. This is coming from someone who likes Shanny compared to our recent coaches.

I really doubt Shanny takes **** from anyone.

I guarantee that if you are on Dan's payroll you have a very healthy fear of him. Shanny included. This is ****ing Napoleon we are talking about...

All I know is that if this were the Snyder and Vinny Redskins, we would have traded three picks, including our first round pick next year, to have any chance to draft any QB in the top 5. To me, that's proof that Dan Snyder was hands off last year.

100% improvement.

Because it isn't just about mandating that someone do something because you're the boss. Shanahan is not proving himself to be an effective motivator. Guys wanted to play for Gibbs, and wanted to perform for him. With Shanahan, it's another example, in his first year no less, of someone that didn't want to do what he asked. And it's a waste of Snyder's money.

I don't see how you get that out of McNabb not wanting to wear a wristband. He didn't follow the rules so he was benched for it. Pretty simple. I haven't heard anyone say they don't want to play for Shanahan, except for Haynesworth, and that's another story.

I can understand why he would be upset at McNabb, not necessarily Shanahan. The coaches told McNabb to wear the wristband. He refused and got benched. What else can you do to him to make him wear it?

I don't know, I guess trade him, which is what we're trying to do now. I'm wondering why Shanahan didn't just come out and say this last year after the Detroit game instead of beating around the bush about McNabb not being able to run the two-minute drill.

I guarantee that if you are on Dan's payroll you have a very healthy fear of him. Shanny included. This is ****ing Napoleon we are talking about...

Pfft. Shanny has a 5 year deal. What's Danny gonna do? If he fires Shanny right now, who would want to come here?

If he did can Shanny, he'd still have to pay him. Let's put it this way, Snyder respects Shanny more than the other way around.

If it was Zorn we were talking about, sure....he'd cover in fear. Shanahan has nothing to lose, imo.

I don't know, I guess trade him, which is what we're trying to do now. I'm wondering why Shanahan didn't just come out and say this last year after the Detroit game instead of beating around the bush about McNabb not being able to run the two-minute drill.

Do you know how that would've made Shanahan look?

Even more stupid than this story leaking out now...

I don't see how you get that out of McNabb not wanting to wear a wristband. He didn't follow the rules so he was benched for it. Pretty simple. I haven't heard anyone say they don't want to play for Shanahan, except for Haynesworth, and that's another story.

No one said Haynesworth didn't want to play...he didn't want to do what Shanahan asked and play NT. Same thing for McNabb and the wristband.

Shanahan could've probably done more, like benched McNabb until he wore it, or threatened to cut him. Benching him for two minutes wasn't a trump card in this situation.

Call BS on the Snyder part.

First off the author doesnt even remember if it was a power lunch or power dinner.

And if memory serves me correctly things had already gotten pretty sour between Fletcher Smith (McN agent) and our FO, so how

are they having this so called lunch/dinner at the superbowl?

Naw- I will follow what the insiders say on this.

I'm shocked.

Seriously.

I'm sorry but that's a tough one to believe, I've read 2 Shanahan's books and he doesn't strike me as the type of HC that would tolereate that for a second.

McNabb actually refused to wear a wristband?

And Mike Shanahan didn't out right bench him?

I can't believe that Mike Shanahan gave McNabb an option.

Mike Shanahan doesn't ask.

This changes everything.

It completely changes my opinion of both McNabb and Mike Shanahan.

Wait a second.

If McNabb refuses an order from Mike Shanahan its insubordination which is in violation of the most basic contract.

This story doesn't smell right.

I can't believe that Mike Shanahan gave McNabb an option.

I think Shanahan decided to make his point another way, by the looks of things DG.

The Redskins big-name player Donovan McNabb, meanwhile, was benched for the final two possessions. Coach Mike Shanahan said Rex Grossman was more comfortable with the team's 2-minute offense.

"I thought that was the best scenario for us to win," Shanahan insisted

And....Mcnabb's fringe fanbase in DC going....going...gone.

He's the Scott Gomez of the NFL. Overrated for "wow" credentials in their younger days, only to post career lows for their respective new teams.

Oh, and both have large contracts, but we have a little more flexibility with McNabb.

Both of their trades cost a fortune as well.

The only logical explanations are that 1) he did not want to completely submarine his trade value, and that 2) there was hope that the relationship could be salvaged (as when the initial benching occurred, they were in the midst of a contract renegotiation).

The only logical explanations are that 1) he did not want to completely submarine his trade value, and that 2) there was hope that the relationship could be salvaged (as when the initial benching occurred, they were in the midst of a contract renegotiation).

We all saw the massive media backlash when he was benched, so this could be another reason for Shanny's restraint on the issue.

Archived