Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trent Green, Steve Young, and Kurt Warner=John Beck

Hal2856

I read my earlier post and I forgot to mention something: I have no problem with Beck starting and being given a shot. We don't want McNabb and Grossman isn't signed. Let the kid play and see what you got. The reality is we aren't making a superbowl run this season and throwing the young guys out there isn't an unheard of rebuilding strategy.

If you do that though who is the #2 and #3 QB. If they are capable and proven at all the fans won't be patient. Who do you find that everyone doesn't demand start over Beck? :ols:

A scout, not affiliated with the Skins:

“I did like John Beck coming out of college. He had a terrible Senior Bowl game. At BYU I thought he was quick with his feet, and dropped quickly. He had a good release and was very accurate short and intermediate. He could scramble away from pressure. He had a real accurate arm, he just didn’t have great size. But I’ll tell you what, they loved him at BYU. They couldn’t say enough about him. They thought he had good accuracy and smarts. It was just a matter of getting an opportunity and staying in one system. It wouldn’t shock me if he’s their starter. I thought he could be. You probably want someone better in the long run but you can win with him. He’s better than Rex Grossman by a longshot. Grossman is erratic as hell. If Beck gets dialed in and he’s smart, he can handle that offense.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/redskins/2011/05/razzano-redskins-get-b-can-win-beck

I read my earlier post and I forgot to mention something: I have no problem with Beck starting and being given a shot. We don't want McNabb and Grossman isn't signed. Let the kid play and see what you got. The reality is we aren't making a superbowl run this season and throwing the young guys out there isn't an unheard of rebuilding strategy.

If you do that though who is the #2 and #3 QB. If they are capable and proven at all the fans won't be patient. Who do you find that everyone doesn't demand start over Beck? :ols:

What if he doesn't play well enough to even earn the job in camp and preseason? You still wanna just hand it to him? Because if he's going in as the guy, with his limited playing experience, he should get all the reps he possibly can.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009090352/2009/PRE4/ravens@falcons/watch

John Beck 16/28 232 2 TDs

The Ravens seem serious about throwing the ball: Baltimore's normally conservative offense seemingly has been replaced by an "Air Coryell"-type passing attack during the preseason. That trend continued against Atlanta as backup QB John Beck received the majority of the work and completed 16 of 28 passes for 232 yards and one touchdown. Beck drove the Ravens 91 yards on their first series for the only touchdown of the first half.

*Note it was Falcons 1st team vs Ravens 2nd team the 1st half.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009090352/2009/PRE4/ravens@falcons/watch

John Beck 16/28 232 2 TDs

The Ravens seem serious about throwing the ball: Baltimore's normally conservative offense seemingly has been replaced by an "Air Coryell"-type passing attack during the preseason. That trend continued against Atlanta as backup QB John Beck received the majority of the work and completed 16 of 28 passes for 232 yards and one touchdown. Beck drove the Ravens 91 yards on their first series for the only touchdown of the first half.

*Note it was Falcons 1st team vs Ravens 2nd team the 1st half.

Thanks for this. Beck looks very sharp in that game. Love the way he moves in the pocket and gets the ball out early.

Here's hoping he gets a shot in camp this season.

• 2 months later...

The case of Warner is an interesting comparison, but Warner had already shown some glimpse of what he was capable of in Arena Football and NFL Europe. Ok, it's not the NFL I know, but there was evidence of recent form and ability in a competitive environment there. There's no similar evidence of form or ability with Beck. Like I've always said, all he is right now is an unknown quantity. College clips from way back when tell us nothing about him now in the NFL after a less than mediocre career.

Now, I'm not saying Beck won't be the next Kurt Warner, but I think we'd be wise to temper our expectations and not expect him to be. Lightning rarely strikes twice. If he wins the starting job (which I doubt) and plays like Warner, then great, huge surprise and a fantastic feather in Shanny's cap and we can build around him. If he stinks, well, no big surprise there, he's been pedestrian for his entire pro career, what did we expect? QB was clearly always going to be a weakness this year. No-one is screaming for his head on a plate or for another coaching change. Who knows, if he wins the job, he may just be a mediocre stop-gap, not great, perhaps not even good, but not terrible either.

Until we know the outcome of the QB competition and who will be starting, and see how they (and the team) perform, then I think we'd do well to temper our expectations. Yes, support the guy if he wins the job, but don't expect him to be another Kurt Warner.

Not saying it won't happen, and Lord knows if any fanbase deserves such a personnel miracle, it's us but for every Steve Young, Trent Green and Kurt Warner, there are so many other cases of Akili Smith, David Klingler, Heath Shuler, Ryan Leaf, David Carr and so many more. It can happen, I like your thinking, but it is rare.

I've been reading a lot on John Beck and him being a starter... A lot of doubts are following him due to the fact he's turning 30, been a back up, and failed starter. This got me thinking of other QBs who started late in NFL age, and failed before. Steve Young was considered a bust before he started in San Fran, no one but Bill Walsh believed in him. Trent Green was late draft pick our third string QB, he was never supposed to amount to nothing. The Rams and specifically Vermeil saw his talent. but as we all know another unheralded back-up late in NFL years became the story of the Rams. It took Green until KC to get another shot and Vermiel still had to bring him in, and he then became an All-Pro late in his NFL age. Warner even proved twice that age and former play doesn't always speak to how one will play when a coach and a team believe in you. He was cut by the Rams, cut by the Giants, only to be resurrected as an All-Pro in Arizona.

You forgot someone.

I disagree with the OP that Steve Young was a bust in the wrong system. His not having success in Tampa Bay is much more about them being a floundering franchise than an indictment of Young’s skills.

I find the comparison between Young and Beck ludicrous. I guess you do not.

Actually Tampa did give up on him when they drafted Testeverde. And went on to trade Young to the 49ers.

Now if a team drafts your replacement and trades you to another team. I think it's fair to conclude that team considered you a bust.

Also, did you know that Beck threw for 11,021 yards while at BYU. Steve Young threw for 7,733 yards. Beck threw 79 touchdowns to Youngs 53.

Answer me this then....

Why did Shanny sign Beck for 2 years, 6 months AFTER trading for McNabb but before the season even started?

You traded a 2nd rounder and 5th rounder for McNabb. Obviously at that point you expected McNabb to be around for several years as your starter to trade that kind of investment.

Beck was signed as a 29 year old for only 2 years, after trading that investment for McNabb.

At that point, Shanahan would have to think that Beck was going to be 33-34 years old by the time McNabb may be moving on.

Beck at this point is just forced into Shanny's plans.

LOL HA! Man Mike Shanny can come up with anything and you fans will eat it up.SMH BECK???? Are you Freaking kidding me? Hall of fame worthy? I Bet MS can Bring in Demarcus Russell (Mr. Grape Drink) himself and you fans will make up all of these reasons on why he will be the Next " Warren Moon". Hell, people on here wrote pages fulll of crap about how bad of a QB Cam Newton will be in the NFL.So I guess Beck will be a better NFL QB than Cam... SMDH this is going to make good "bump up" material mid season.

more from his wiki page..ya'll need to get on the John Beck bandwagon!

Beck attended Mountain View High School in Mesa, Arizona. He was recruited by Brigham Young University, Arizona State, and Miami. He received Outstanding Male Scholar Athlete honors at Mountain View High School, a three-year letterman, and led Mountain View High School to a state championship as a senior. His overall record was 25-2 during his junior and senior seasons. Beck earned first-team all-region, first-team all-state, USA Today All-American honorable mention and Dairyman first-team All-America honors. He was named the region Offensive Player of the Year and garnered first-team Super All-State and Super All-State Player-of-the-Year honors. Beck was further recognized as the Arizona High School Football Player of the Year and earned both the Ed Dougherty and Fred Enke Awards (Arizona Quarterback of the Year). During his senior year, he was named the MVP during the state championship game and selected as the Arizona All-Star game Most Valuable Player. Fox Sports has recognized Beck as the Arizona 5A Player of the Year. Beck also currently holds the Arizona high school record with 42 touchdown completions in a single season with only 4 interceptions. Beyond football, Beck also lettered twice in baseball as a pitcher and an infielder.

Russell played college football for the LSU Tigers where he finished 21-4 as a starter and was named MVP of the 2007 Sugar Bowl. The Oakland Raiders selected Russell with the first overall pick of the 2007 NFL Draft. Russell held out[1] until the Raiders signed him to a contract worth $61 million with $32 million guaranteed.

Russell attended Lillie B. Williamson High School in Mobile, Alabama. For all four years under head coach Bobby Parrish, Russell started and never missed a football game. In his freshman year, Russell completed 180-of-324 passes for 2,683 yards and 20 touchdowns as Williamson reached the state championship game. By the next season, Russell had grown to six-foot-three and 185 pounds, had received his first recruiting letters and was becoming more adept with the playbook. Russell passed for 2,616 yards and 20 touchdowns during his sophomore year and led the team to the semifinals.[5]

Russell's best season was his senior year; he completed 219-of-372 passes for 3,332 yards and 22 touchdowns, and rushed for another 400 yards and five touchdowns. This earned Russell Parade magazine All-American honorable mention honors.[6] His 10,774 career passing yards broke the Alabama High School Athletic Association record and still stands today.[7]

Whats your point?

Beck can play in the NFL.

Miami never gave this guy a chance.

He played during the Dolphins 1-15 season. Their only win came with Cleo Lemon (who is now floundering in the CFL).

Cam Cameron is considered as a great offensive coach. He got Beck to come to Baltimore after their time together in Miami. Clearly there is something there that both Cameron, and now Shanny likes.

I have a feeling we could be pleasantly surprised.

I really want Beck to succeed, but the more I think about it, the more chance there is that he ends up being an "above average" quarterback when all is said and done. Someone who won't be in the elite top 8 in the league, but definitely in the top half in terms of talent and stats. I think he will be a good holdover until we draft a franchise quarterback, but he won't be the franchise quarterback people are hoping he will be. I definitely hope I'm wrong and he establishes himself as a top 8 QB by the end of the season, but the odds of that happening are slim. The comparisons in this thread have got me more excited about him, and I support Shanahan putting his name behind Beck. Better Shanahan choose and put his trust in a quarterback than the previous several coaches we've had here...

Trent, Steve, and Kurt all had great arms. I am not yet sold that Beck has that kind of an arm. The tweets indicate that he doesn't have the arm strength for throwning accurate and tight deep balls. I haven't seen him practice ... so, can't say for sure.

Trent, Steve, and Kurt all had great arms. I am not yet sold that Beck has that kind of an arm. The tweets indicate that he doesn't have the arm strength for throwning accurate and tight deep balls. I haven't seen him practice ... so, can't say for sure.

Joe Montana had a noodle for an arm.

For now, I think the Shanahans are looking for someone to manage the game. They are going to try to win 9 or so with defense and a clock control running game. Beck will need to dink and dunk with an occasional deep ball and no turn overs. :logo:

Archived