Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trent Green, Steve Young, and Kurt Warner=John Beck

Hal2856

I've been reading a lot on John Beck and him being a starter... A lot of doubts are following him due to the fact he's turning 30, been a back up, and failed starter. This got me thinking of other QBs who started late in NFL age, and failed before. Steve Young was considered a bust before he started in San Fran, no one but Bill Walsh believed in him. Trent Green was late draft pick our third string QB, he was never supposed to amount to nothing. The Rams and specifically Vermeil saw his talent. but as we all know another unheralded back-up late in NFL years became the story of the Rams. It took Green until KC to get another shot and Vermiel still had to bring him in, and he then became an All-Pro late in his NFL age. Warner even proved twice that age and former play doesn't always speak to how one will play when a coach and a team believe in you. He was cut by the Rams, cut by the Giants, only to be resurrected as an All-Pro in Arizona.

I guess what I'm saying is, we can get five good years out of Beck, gives us time to develop another QB, and create another great story of unheralded and after thought QBs.

In Shanny I trust.

I'm with you. I'm sick of the talk of how we should have taken a QB in the draft. None of the late round guys were better than what we have now. Best to just see what we have in Beck or stick it out with Rex who can probably get us a better record than last year. Next year's QB class is a whole lot better anyway, and if Beck is really as bad as the experts say, we'll be in a good position to take one of them.

Yes... But even with the Rams he was like 29. I was just trying to say anything can happen and if the coaches like Beck that could be good. I'm sure no one but Vermeil thought Warner could start.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2011 at 08:17 PM ----------

I'm with you. I'm sick of the talk of how we should have taken a QB in the draft. None of the late round guys were better than what we have now. Best to just see what we have in Beck or stick it out with Rex who can probably get us a better record than last year. Next year's QB class is a whole lot better anyway, and if Beck is really as bad as the experts say, we'll be in a good position to take one of them.

exactly, and if he is good we will all be happy.

Yes... But even with the Rams he was like 29. I was just trying to say anything can happen and if the coaches like Beck that could be good. I'm sure no one but Vermeil thought Warner could start.

Vermeil didn't even think that :ols:

I really knew nothing of Beck, looking at all the youtube interviews, highlights, Jaws and Steve Young analysis etc...I am now a HUUUGE John Beck fan and I believe the Shanny's have a plan and I like it...I think John Beck is going to be the next great 'skins QB!

I see a super smart, mature, quick armed, accurate, tough guy...I really like him.

I like the interview after he had just gotten to camp and some reporter was asking him a cheesy question for him to tell us why he deserves to be here..JB put him in his place..."I'm just going ot say I have an inner confidence and not answer your question" Campbell would have said "ya know uh..and Brennan would have said some stupid 12yr old ****..

Plus look at how he moves and is accurate...takes a hit..and wins!!!

We got us a QB and didn't even realize it!~!!!!! Way to go Shanny!

Vermeil didn't even think that :ols:

Yeah but he gave him a shot. I remember when Green went there, I was pretty pissed so I followed the Rams some and figured they were going to be pretty good with Faulk and Green.

Then he got hurt and they had to be toast. Warner wasn't even a backup or 3rd stringer on any team the year before. Then he goes out and sets a record for 400 yard games in his first 4-5 games in the league. It was just nuts.

I really don't see how Beck could be that good, but won't complain if he is, lol. He's already started some games and looked like he was going to throw an INT every other time he passed. Maybe some of that was because of the offense and a bad team.

I know Steve Young looked horrible as a rookie and was even given 2 years in Tampa. I don't doubt that Shanahan can make this guy work. He turned Plummer completely around after his really bad numbers in Arizona.

more from his wiki page..ya'll need to get on the John Beck bandwagon!

Beck attended Mountain View High School in Mesa, Arizona. He was recruited by Brigham Young University, Arizona State, and Miami. He received Outstanding Male Scholar Athlete honors at Mountain View High School, a three-year letterman, and led Mountain View High School to a state championship as a senior. His overall record was 25-2 during his junior and senior seasons. Beck earned first-team all-region, first-team all-state, USA Today All-American honorable mention and Dairyman first-team All-America honors. He was named the region Offensive Player of the Year and garnered first-team Super All-State and Super All-State Player-of-the-Year honors. Beck was further recognized as the Arizona High School Football Player of the Year and earned both the Ed Dougherty and Fred Enke Awards (Arizona Quarterback of the Year). During his senior year, he was named the MVP during the state championship game and selected as the Arizona All-Star game Most Valuable Player. Fox Sports has recognized Beck as the Arizona 5A Player of the Year. Beck also currently holds the Arizona high school record with 42 touchdown completions in a single season with only 4 interceptions. Beyond football, Beck also lettered twice in baseball as a pitcher and an infielder.

A lot of us saw a hell of a lot more in Trent Green at the pro level before he went to St. Louis than anyone has seen in John Beck yet. I'm not saying it wont work out, but Green was way further along in terms of production in games.

In Shanahan's first season implementing his offense:

-- a clearly past-his-prime Santana Moss set a career high for receptions with 93

-- a 27-year-old rookie retread finished among the league's highest yards-per-reception with 19.8; finished with 871 yards in I believe just 11 starts

-- had he played out the last 3 games of the season, Donovan McNabb would've set a career high for yards thrown in a season, even after a decade in Andy Reid's acclaimed pass-happy offense

-- an undrafted free agent who didn't even start in college, Keiland Williams, played as an effective third down back, earning snaps on 45% of our total plays on offense

-- Kory Lichtensteiger, out of football in 2009, concluded the season as an effective left guard

-- in arguably a down year, Chris Cooley tied his career mark for receiving yards and posted his second best total of 77 receptions

etc. etc. Ryan Torain's development, Will Robinson's emergence as an effective guard for depth, and so forth. Even Rex Grossman posted numbers that were comparable to the league's best performers in the three weeks that he started.

Shanahan knows offense, and he doesn't need "big names" to cultivate an efficient one. He seems like he can bring out the absolute best in any player on offense, utilizing their best attributes. No one would've expected Armstrong to have the season that he did; this time last year, we all would've been beside ourselves if we knew Anthony Armstrong would maintain a roster spot while Devin Thomas was cut.

Who's to say that John Beck can't be an effective quarterback in Shanahan's system? Getting the ball out quickly, making the right reads, checking down when necessary, making accurate throws -- these all seem like things that Beck is more than capable of. And he can move a bit too.

And hey, worst case scenario: Beck bombs, Grossman bombs, and we pick up a franchise quarterback within the first 10 picks next year

-- a clearly past-his-prime Santana Moss set a career high for receptions with 93

-- a 27-year-old rookie retread finished among the league's highest yards-per-reception with 19.8; finished with 871 yards in I believe just 11 starts

-- had he played out the last 3 games of the season, Donovan McNabb would've set a career high for yards thrown in a season, even after a decade in Andy Reid's acclaimed pass-happy offense

-- an undrafted free agent who didn't even start in college, Keiland Williams, played as an effective third down back, earning snaps on 45% of our total plays on offense

-- Kory Lichtensteiger, out of football in 2009, concluded the season as an effective left guard

-- in arguably a down year, Chris Cooley tied his career mark for receiving yards and posted his second best total of 77 receptions

etc. etc. Ryan Torain's development, Will Robinson's emergence as an effective guard for depth, and so forth. Even Rex Grossman posted numbers that were comparable to the league's best performers in the three weeks that he started.

Shanahan knows offense, and he doesn't need "big names" to cultivate an efficient one. He seems like he can bring out the absolute best in any player on offense, utilizing their best attributes. No one would've expected Armstrong to have the season that he did; this time last year, we all would've been beside ourselves if we knew Anthony Armstrong would maintain a roster spot while Devin Thomas was cut.

Who's to say that John Beck can't be an effective quarterback in Shanahan's system? Getting the ball out quickly, making the right reads, checking down when necessary, making accurate throws -- these all seem like things that Beck is more than capable of. And he can move a bit too.

And hey, worst case scenario: Beck bombs, Grossman bombs, and we pick up a franchise quarterback within the first 10 picks next year

Post like this above are the reason I visit this website. Thanks for posting that.

I wouldn't be opposed to rolling with Beck. I was happy when we dropped Colt Brennan for him (.....he subsequently ended up in the UFL, see? Shanny knew instantly he wasn't NFL material) and thought he would get some playing time last season towards the end. For some reason, Shanny likes the guy, A LOT. Either way, with Rex or Beck, we'll be competitive. A team in transition can still cause problems for its opponents.

I've been reading a lot on John Beck and him being a starter... A lot of doubts are following him due to the fact he's turning 30, been a back up, and failed starter. This got me thinking of other QBs who started late in NFL age, and failed before. Steve Young was considered a bust before he started in San Fran, no one but Bill Walsh believed in him. Trent Green was late draft pick our third string QB, he was never supposed to amount to nothing. The Rams and specifically Vermeil saw his talent. but as we all know another unheralded back-up late in NFL years became the story of the Rams. It took Green until KC to get another shot and Vermiel still had to bring him in, and he then became an All-Pro late in his NFL age. Warner even proved twice that age and former play doesn't always speak to how one will play when a coach and a team believe in you. He was cut by the Rams, cut by the Giants, only to be resurrected as an All-Pro in Arizona.

I guess what I'm saying is, we can get five good years out of Beck, gives us time to develop another QB, and create another great story of unheralded and after thought QBs.

In Shanny I trust.

Funny you bring in the name Steve Young.

His offensive coordinator (Shanahan) while with the 49rs in 1992 are who many say changed Steve Young into a pro bowl calibre qb.

And in 94 led the 49rs to the superbowl victory.

Funny you bring in the name Steve Young.

His offensive coordinator (Shanahan) while with the 49rs in 1992 are who many say changed Steve Young into a pro bowl calibre qb.

And in 94 led the 49rs to the superbowl victory.

Yes, exactly. I had forgotten that... Also we might want to add Elway to the list of QBs Shanny resurrected. Remember, the Broncos drafted his replacment because he was too inaccurate, brittle, and old... Just saying. Plus, people do forget, many thought Steve Young was a bad choice as a successor to Montana... Don't forget that was a questioned move releasing Montana.

Norv gets credit on Green, not Vermeil. Norv is the one who found him, "raised" him and had confidence in him to play him. Vermeil just threw money at him after Trent showed what he could do while with us in 1998.

Yes, true, however Vermiel did trade for him in KC. Green owes alot to him as a coach and for his Pro Bowl years.

Wow, there is hope for extremeskins. Yours was probably one of the best posts I've ever read here, especially considering the sea of stupidity this place has become lately with all the ridiculous "let's tank the season and trade eleventy billion draft picks for Luck, he will win superbowls by himself, he's THAT good" talk that's been going around.

I mentioned earlier in another post something that was similar to yours, maybe shanny knew what he was doing letting beck sit for a year and learn the offense... I hope we will be pleasantly surprised by the guy.

And while you bring out alot of good points, the good thing about it (or bad depending on how you see things) is that all that was accomplished in a "down" year with the o line and qb getting clobbered every week. If the line and qb play improves, this team could turn things around very quickly.

With all the defenseive additions in the draft, I hope the defense steps it up this year. Don't forget there are guys like Robert Henson, Rob Jackson, Jarmon and others waiting in the wings who showed promise in limited snaps. Talent and depth is increasing, now they just need to put it all together. The more I look at things, the more Shannys plan is slowly becoming apparent, and it gives me good vibes.

I'm impressed with this post and agree. I was really starting to wonder if these post were even possible over here anymore. 2005 so a veteran but you should post more. /

Looks like there's some new members to the Beck Bandwagon, Welcome :D

As others have pointed out, very nice post SkinsTilIDie. And to Martythemans point with regards to Beck sitting for a year, learning the system, that goes hand in hand with what our resident Beck historian (IceBlue33) has pointed out, the guy can/will look like a total joke of a QB until he figures out the system, and has a chance to work with the receivers, but then after that, as many saw in his senior year at BYU, he's actually a hell of a QB.

It does seem strange for anyone to be excited about having the only QB on our team, being a soon to be 30 something year old guy with nothing to brag about on his NFL resume.

But let's not forget, this guy was traded for and signed to an extension before he even played a down for us.

He was also a second round grade coming out of college in the 2007 draft.

This guy is still on the roster and not Jim Zorn's trash.

Shanny must see something in in. For thos who think our draft would have been better if a guy like McElroy was adrfted, that's all fine and dandy, but he does not give us the better shot at winning right now, and Shanny obviously did not think highly enough to have a QB "of the future" worthy of one of his picks.

Plus any rookie will not even have a playbook or practice for perhaps a good chunk of time. Beck has the playbook and the experience (albeit one year). Shanny thinks highly of him - hand picked and signed to an extension.

Beck may not be any of the 3 listed in the title of this thread, but he is for now, looking like a QB on this roster. A starter or backup? We will see. But I am trusting the moves made by Shanny.

Archived