Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Since he may be what you get, here's what I know about John Beck.

IceBlue33

Watch where his receivers are at his point of release. You will often see him release the ball right at a defender only to have his receivers step right in front of it for a nice gainer.

Thanks for the link--makes me rethink Beck's potential.

It was funny tho that that was a draft day vid, and on the ticker at the bottom it said Skins pick Round 1: Laron Landry, next pick: Round 5 haha....

Thanks for sharing with us about Beck but I don't think that Beck will be the starter this year unless he shows them something everyone else is missing. They aren't going to wait until Beck gets things perfect like he did at BYU. They want a QB that can adapt and overcome adversity quickly. They want a Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan and Donovan McNabb and not just another QB that doesn't take you anywhere except to the playoffs, like Vick, Marino, McNabb, Jaworski, Pennington, Moon, and many others. All of these guys were or are very good QB's but lacked the ability to get their team to the Superr Bowl and win it all. So Beck doesn't have the luxury at this level to learn as you play because coaches won't stay with a rookie ir unproven QB too long as they will with a Veteran QB. So I hope that he is a quick learner and gets the chance because he won't be around long if he throws too many INT's or throws the ball just anywhere. Timing routes are also bad for a QB because the defense will pick that up on a QB and no matter what a QB does he will fail.

Thanks for sharing with us about Beck but I don't think that Beck will be the starter this year unless he shows them something everyone else is missing. They aren't going to wait until Beck gets things perfect like he did at BYU. They want a QB that can adapt and overcome adversity quickly. They want a Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan and Donovan McNabb and not just another QB that doesn't take you anywhere except to the playoffs, like Vick, Marino, McNabb, Jaworski, Pennington, Moon, and many others. All of these guys were or are very good QB's but lacked the ability to get their team to the Superr Bowl and win it all. So Beck doesn't have the luxury at this level to learn as you play because coaches won't stay with a rookie ir unproven QB too long as they will with a Veteran QB. So I hope that he is a quick learner and gets the chance because he won't be around long if he throws too many INT's or throws the ball just anywhere. Timing routes are also bad for a QB because the defense will pick that up on a QB and no matter what a QB does he will fail.

50 years old and still rubbing every old oil lamp you find? Look. I'm pretty sure they don't want McNabb and those other guys are already on teams. I think Shanny really likes what he sees in Beck and if he does then he is probably hopeful to get a franchise QB in him. If not? Well really what is lost here?

BTW I got to see a lot of Locker and he is a bad QB. He probably should have gone undrafted imo or at least late rounds.

p.s. - major tic on the oil lamp. ;)

Like I said in another thread, Beck couldn't beat out CLEO LEMON in Miami. Lemon is now in the Canadian league and he threw more INTs than TDs last season. Whatever the 'it' factor is that makes someone an NFL QB, Beck has none of 'it'. Let's put aside this foolishness and sign Vince Young.

haha. he said lets put aside the foolishness and sign vince young....wow, if that aint an oxymoron, i dont know what is.

Playing Beck all season is the best way to position ourselves for Luck next year.

Beck will get the reps he needs. We'll find out what he's made of.

And we'll have great draft position.

Beck gets pointless reps and we seriously suck next season so get a real QB. That's how I read this.

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 01:20 PM ----------

Man I tired of reading people say give up all our picks and whatever to get Luck. Obviously people don't remember what happened in the past when we traded all our picks for a star. We don't need Luck. We can find a perfectly good QB.

I nearly flipped out when Schefter suggested that Beck would be the starting QB for the Redskins next season

Seems kind of steep

Just start Grossman and get it over with

With the source being Schefter that's as good as a done deal. If the Shanny's truly believed Grossman could get it done they'd have locked him up with some kinda deal don't you think? As they did for Beck. The pessimist in me says there's no way Beck is the man. But we saw something similar happen for Kurt Warner. So who knows? That would be great for us if both Beck and Grossman play well. We could trade Gossman for a pick in next year. Have Beck as the man for the short term and then take our time getting a Franchise QB later on. It's always easier to bargain from a position of strength.

If people on here want to tank an entire season for Luck, what about this strategy.....

Trade for Carolina's #1 next year.....whatever it takes, no player(s) or draft picks off limits.

That's what I've been saying since they traded back and got all those picks. Trade the 2nd 2nd rounder and everything after it for Carolina's 2012 1st and we'd have a guaranteed top 5 pick. If Clausen starts for them they will win 3-4 games. If Cam Newton starts for them they'd be lucky to win 2 games. But it didn't happen.

Looking over the highlights, keeping in mind they are highlights so must be taken w/ a grain of salt, if Shanny can get Beck to play at his best level consistently, thn Beck just may do well with this team.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8125cb81/Ravens-20-Falcons-3

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80492ad4/Week-12-John-Beck-highlights

With the source being Schefter that's as good as a done deal. If the Shanny's truly believed Grossman could get it done they'd have locked him up with some kinda deal don't you think? As they did for Beck. The pessimist in me says there's no way Beck is the man. But we saw something similar happen for Kurt Warner. So who knows? That would be great for us if both Beck and Grossman play well. We could trade Gossman for a pick in next year. Have Beck as the man for the short term and then take our time getting a Franchise QB later on. It's always easier to bargain from a position of strength.

Didn't really have time to lock them up. See lockout.

Here's a pretty good link.

Watch where his receivers are at his point of release. You will often see him release the ball right at a defender only to have his receivers step right in front of it for a nice gainer.

That is really a great video. Everyone in this thread should see this video before attempting to take a stance on Beck.

Thank you for posting here. I personally have no problem with letting Beck get a shot this season. He ONLY received playing time during his rookie year on a terrible, terrible team. As a rookie, no less. It would have been against the odds for him to perform even average in such circumstances.

I think Shanahan made Beck a much better QB over the last couple of days. Over the past few years Beck probably resigned himself to being a clipboard guy for the rest of his career. Confidence shot from his all too brief experience in Miami and knows his age works against him. But not getting a QB and showing willingness to go into next season as Beck as our number one... he should have a renewed sense of purpose this week.

I actually kinda hope that he earns it this offseason. I'd rather go with him than Hasselbeck. I'm sure we'll bring in some competition, but I'm officially rooting for Beck to make it happen.

While hearing the OP's assessment is a little re-assuring, I'm still a little confused. Like someone mentioned in another thread, if Mike and Kyle love Beck so much, why didn't he get reps when we were "evaluating" Rex last year? Why didn't we start Beck for a game or 2 or even give him significant snaps?

I somehow doubt that in the offseason, and a locked out offseason at that Beck improved to be the next franchise QB. We have to be going after a vet QB and we'll just let Beck compete.

Like I said in another thread, Beck couldn't beat out CLEO LEMON in Miami. Lemon is now in the Canadian league and he threw more INTs than TDs last season. Whatever the 'it' factor is that makes someone an NFL QB, Beck has none of 'it'. Let's put aside this foolishness and sign Vince Young.

Wanting to sign Young is the definition of foolishness

Even though Shannahan made the statement they like Beck, I think that is all a vote of confidence just for this year to get the Skins by 2011. They will get a qb next year because the Skins will fill other significant positions this year. Rebuild, rebuild, rebuild.

I don't know if you guys saw Shanahans press conference (its on redskins.com), but it was pretty interesting. Nobody saw this Beck story coming, not even Shanahan. He was caught off guard when asked about Beck, so it seemed like everything he said was very candid. I honestly don't think Shanahan meant to be so upfront about Beck, but its was pretty jaw-dropping to hear him say all that at once. If he is being honest, and truly sees a starting quarterback in Beck, then I am game!

At 10 the Skins had thier choice of QB's outside of CAM, (which the jury will be out on for a couple of years) So if Shanahan wanted one they were his for the taking. Well, he didn't take, so I can live with that.

The same way Jordan Crawford couldn't get any playing time with the Atlanta Hawks? Yet when he was traded to the Wizards, he exploded. Sometimes all someone needs is a chance to show what they got.

Anyone else see the irony in this?

While hearing the OP's assessment is a little re-assuring, I'm still a little confused. Like someone mentioned in another thread, if Mike and Kyle love Beck so much, why didn't he get reps when we were "evaluating" Rex last year? Why didn't we start Beck for a game or 2 or even give him significant snaps?

I somehow doubt that in the offseason, and a locked out offseason at that Beck improved to be the next franchise QB. We have to be going after a vet QB and we'll just let Beck compete.

Remember we traded for him. So that means there was something they really liked about him. I can undersand why they didn't play him. Everyone says it takes at least a year to grasp the offense. Beck missed all the OTA's where the real work is done. Once games start you're game planning and not really going back over your base stuff. You just don't have time for that. So rather than risk throwing Beck out there with limited knowledge of the offense they let him continue to get a few more reps in practice (remember he was moved to number 2) and penciled him in as a back up. That's more reassuring to me than believing the Shannahan's think a turn over prone Grossman can be a legit starter.

Archived