Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Since he may be what you get, here's what I know about John Beck.

IceBlue33

To be very blunt, the 2011 Washington Redskins will barely make it to 5 wins with the current roster. It wouldn't hurt to just give Beck the damn ball for 16 games and see what happens. If he's god awful, we'd be in position to draft a top 2 QB in 2012. However, if he proves to be serviceable (22+ TDs, 3300+ yds in 2012), we could either build around him, or try to get something for him while he's still "hot". Either way, just give him the ball and see what he's made out of.

if Mike and Kyle love Beck so much, why didn't he get reps when we were "evaluating" Rex last year? Why didn't we start Beck for a game or 2 or even give him significant snaps?

The way it looks right now to me is that they were deciding in the final games whether or not to keep Grossman around. Beck is signed already. Sounds like either they don't keep Grossman now or he's not going to get much of an offer to stay. That and Beck still needs to learn the offense more before throwing him out there. In Miami he was given no time and was on a bad team, then Parcells took over the next year. He's had no real chance yet.

To be very blunt, the 2011 Washington Redskins will barely make it to 5 wins

I still haven't seen anyone make a coherent argument in favor of this. Unless it hinges around Grossman being SO bad that he can single-handedly destroy our season.

But in general? We'll have a better, younger team with more depth. A team whose offense and defense will be in the second year of their receptive schemes. All with an easier schedule.

How exactly does that jive with having a worse record than this past season?

I still haven't seen anyone make a coherent argument in favor of this. Unless it hinges around Grossman being SO bad that he can single-handedly destroy our season.

But in general? We'll have a better, younger team with more depth. A team whose offense and defense will be in the second year of their receptive schemes. All with an easier schedule.

How exactly does that jive with having a worse record than this past season?

I figure you have to at least expect .500 for every season when you're this far removed from it. Until we actually get to see some football people doing football things I have no idea how you can logically predict that a team is only going to be a .300 team. (or on the other hand an .800 team for that matter).

Well, let's look at some facts. I think our team has gotten worse compared to the other teams in our division. Imo that's an auto 6 losses next year. They all have much better qb's and defenses than we do. Yes, we have talented rookies, but what happens when you throw a ton of rookies together on one side of the ball? It's normally a disaster for the first year. Honestly, I see next year as being pretty brutal. Maybe an easier schedule, but I can't imagine our offense improving with McNabb going. I can see our d being better with the rookies on average, but I also can see them giving up stupid plays that might lose us games.

I figure you have to at least expect .500 for every season when you're this far removed from it. Until we actually get to see some football people doing football things I have no idea how you can logically predict that a team is only going to be a .300 team. (or on the other hand an .800 team for that matter).

Agreed. If Shanahan has proven anything, its that even when his team-building has been at its worst, in terms of crafting a championship-level roster, he's capable of keeping a team afloat, and at a mediocre 7-9 to 10-6 level...and this team's only getting better.

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 11:04 PM ----------

Well, let's look at some facts. I think our team has gotten worse compared to the other teams in our division.

How is this a fact?

I can understand saying that the other teams in our division have gotten...well, MORE better than we have so far this off-season. Or are still better than us, after being so much better that nothing this soon could change that. That can all be fact.

But to say that we've gotten worse? How?

I reference my post above, #53. Still haven't seen it.

Well, let's look at some facts. I think our team has gotten worse compared to the other teams in our division. Imo that's an auto 6 losses next year. They all have much better qb's and defenses than we do. Yes, we have talented rookies, but what happens when you throw a ton of rookies together on one side of the ball? It's normally a disaster for the first year. Honestly, I see next year as being pretty brutal. Maybe an easier schedule, but I can't imagine our offense improving with McNabb going. I can see our d being better with the rookies on average, but I also can see them giving up stupid plays that might lose us games.

I love how you start your reply with "let's look at the facts" and the proceed to back it up with "i think' and "in my opinion" statements. The real fact of the matter is that the season is WAY too early right now to be making assumptions about how well of a season we'll have. Let's see how free agency affects our team and how the training camp comes along before you start bagging our season.

Anyone else see the irony in this?

haha, for the record, Cleo Lemon is atrocious. I have no clue how the Argos made the playoffs with that guy at QB. I mean, the special teams were incredible. But that guy made bone-head decision after bone-head decision.

To be very blunt, the 2011 Washington Redskins will barely make it to 5 wins with the current roster. It wouldn't hurt to just give Beck the damn ball for 16 games and see what happens. If he's god awful, we'd be in position to draft a top 2 QB in 2012. However, if he proves to be serviceable (22+ TDs, 3300+ yds in 2012), we could either build around him, or try to get something for him while he's still "hot". Either way, just give him the ball and see what he's made out of.

Makes sense.

If it's a fact, you need to back it up with more than "I think"

Cowboys don't have a better defense, Eagles don't, and the Giants do.

They have better QBs, but not by as much as you think.

Again, most of your post is conjecture, not fact.

The facts are: we're young, but we have players that fit the 3-4 better than what we had in the past (Kerrigan over Carter, a good rotation at NT and actual 3-4 DEs), and our safeties are much better than last year. On offense, we have a capable, semi-competent QB, young, fast RBs, a very good receiver in Hankerson, and if Moss comes back, our receivers can compete with anyone. TEs have never been in question, and we'll round out the OL in free agency. Those are the facts. Those facts mean we'll be competing with everyone.

Remember we traded for him. So that means there was something they really liked about him. I can undersand why they didn't play him. Everyone says it takes at least a year to grasp the offense. Beck missed all the OTA's where the real work is done. Once games start you're game planning and not really going back over your base stuff. You just don't have time for that. So rather than risk throwing Beck out there with limited knowledge of the offense they let him continue to get a few more reps in practice (remember he was moved to number 2) and penciled him in as a back up. That's more reassuring to me than believing the Shannahan's think a turn over prone Grossman can be a legit starter.

We traded a guy we were probably going to cut for Beck, and then he got a very modest contract. I think the McNabb deal was just to retain his rights and maybe the last option if they get to the season. ( But I suspect they intended to trade him not to long after the ink dried on that extension)

As for Rex, I think he played because they wanted to see if he should still be in the team's plans and let him audition at the end of the season. I do find it refreshing Rex was working out with the team during the players organized workouts without a contract. Maybe he is envisioned as a placeholder/mentor for Beck or someone else. ( anybody but Vince Young please)

Honestly, I'd like to see what he has but the question remains, if he's so highly though of, why didn't he play a down last year in an actual game after Shanahan sabotaged the season in Detroit?

Maybe because he already signed a contract extension and Rex was going to be a free agent this year? Maybe they wanted a good look at Rex to see if we wanted to resign him? Just guessing.

So who's going to start the Bonkers for Beck thread? I'll jump on the bandwagon. He really impressed me on an interview with Lavar and Dukes awhile back. Seems like he has a lot of passion and desire to become a quality starting QB.

i cant imagine it being worse with someone else.

To be fair to McNabb, I don't know what everyone was expecting out of him. He essentially had the same completion percentage last season that he has averaged throughout his whole career, and threw more passes in 13 games last year than he did in 14 with the pass happy Fat Andy offense in Philly. Our line obviously didn't help him and the running game was........lets just say lacking.

And no I'm not an apologist, but to think someone like Beck or Grossman would be better than McNabb in that situation is just crazy.

Like I said in another thread, Beck couldn't beat out CLEO LEMON in Miami. Lemon is now in the Canadian league and he threw more INTs than TDs last season. Whatever the 'it' factor is that makes someone an NFL QB, Beck has none of 'it'. Let's put aside this foolishness and sign Vince Young.

Why are people always calling for picking up guys with bad attitudes - as if it's a good idea? Who needs the headache? Being a good player means nothing if your attitude sucks. And by the way, Vince Young AIN'T that good!!!

Play Beck, our team for next year is a .500 team if the stars align....

Option #1 - He sucks and we get a high draft pick to take a QB

Option #2 - He turns out to be a solid QB...Great, now we can use him or trade him...

my concern with beck is that hes 30 and hasnt shown anything in the league at all. guys dont usually sit with no reps for years and then all the sudden turn into monsters at age 30. yes its happened but im not banking on it at all.

We could start Elway in his prime next year and not win 8 games.

If Beck gets us 3-4 wins then we're in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. I know Shanahan wont tank a season but if he'd just start the new guys and try to actually rebuild the team for real then things might take care of themselves, we might just find 10+ good young players in the process too.

If Beck gets us 3-4 wins then we're in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. I know Shanahan wont tank a season but if he'd just start the new guys and try to actually rebuild the team for real then things might take care of themselves, we might just find 10+ good young players in the process too.

im hoping we tank just not on purpose.

but i cant root for us to lose. i just cant. as much as i know its probably a good idea for the future (watching the nats get strasburg and harper was sooooo awesome) its just painful to root for losses.

This kind of hyperbole does nothing to bolster your case.

I've been saying this for DAYS and still haven't seen anything resembling a good case, from you or anyone else.

From a post of mine yesterday:

"I still haven't seen anyone make a coherent argument in favor of this [having a worse team]. Unless it hinges around Grossman being SO bad that he can single-handedly destroy our season.

But in general? We'll have a better, younger team with more depth. A team whose offense and defense will be in the second year of their respective schemes. All with an easier schedule.

How exactly does that jive with having a worse record than this past season? "

Thanks for the info...after looking at all the clips etc...l am a new HUGE JB fan and believe giving John Beck a shot is awesome...would love to see him as QB of the 'skins!!!!!!

I'll trust my instincts along w Shanny and Jaws and Steve Young over a bunch of you bozo's....please I read he's been working out w Drew Brees all off season in San Diego, has a year in our offense etc.

I see high ability, high character, maturity and leadership...dude is a baller!

Hail John Beck!

Archived