Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Since he may be what you get, here's what I know about John Beck.

IceBlue33

Thanks for sharing with us about Beck but I don't think that Beck will be the starter this year unless he shows them something everyone else is missing. They aren't going to wait until Beck gets things perfect like he did at BYU. They want a QB that can adapt and overcome adversity quickly. They want a Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan and Donovan McNabb and not just another QB that doesn't take you anywhere except to the playoffs, like Vick, Marino, McNabb, Jaworski, Pennington, Moon, and many others. All of these guys were or are very good QB's but lacked the ability to get their team to the Superr Bowl and win it all. So Beck doesn't have the luxury at this level to learn as you play because coaches won't stay with a rookie ir unproven QB too long as they will with a Veteran QB. So I hope that he is a quick learner and gets the chance because he won't be around long if he throws too many INT's or throws the ball just anywhere. Timing routes are also bad for a QB because the defense will pick that up on a QB and no matter what a QB does he will fail.

hahahahahaha ur funny......... in a Colbert kind of way.

Play Beck, our team for next year is a .500 team if the stars align....

Option #1 - He sucks and we get a high draft pick to take a QB

Option #2 - He turns out to be a solid QB...Great, now we can use him or trade him...

That's win win either way. I think Beck is guy that needs a chance. My thinking is that the more he plays, the better he is going to get.

Thanks. Hadn't seen that one. So all you Skins fans. What were your impressions? I will save mine for later.

I didn't see anything in that video that contradicts your claims. I saw a young QB on a bad team struggle, just as I would expect a rookie QB to do. He looked a bit flustered/frustrated as the game wore on. He clearly had accuracy issues, but that could easily be attributed to not having worked in the system or with the players for long enough.

IMO the jury is still out on the guy.

---------- Post added May-4th-2011 at 03:10 PM ----------

This kind of hyperbole does nothing to bolster your case.

I've been saying this for DAYS and still haven't seen anything resembling a good case, from you or anyone else.

From a post of mine yesterday:

"I still haven't seen anyone make a coherent argument in favor of this [having a worse team]. Unless it hinges around Grossman being SO bad that he can single-handedly destroy our season.

But in general? We'll have a better, younger team with more depth. A team whose offense and defense will be in the second year of their receptive schemes. All with an easier schedule.

How exactly does that jive with having a worse record than this past season? "

I would like someone to answer this. I don't get all these guys either.

I've been purposefully out of the loop this off-season.

Is there really even the slightest chance in Hell that Beck ends up a starter here?

Because that is just too crushingly depressing for words to express.

---------- Post added May-4th-2011 at 05:15 PM ----------

As for having a worse team next year...yes...The Sex Cannon is that awful.

I've been purposefully out of the loop this off-season.

Is there really even the slightest chance in Hell that Beck ends up a starter here?

Because that is just too crushingly depressing for words to express.

---------- Post added May-4th-2011 at 05:15 PM ----------

Shannahan alluded to the possibility, but I don't think he will make Beck a starter just because. Beck will have to earn it.

:whoknows: He played just as well as McNabb last year, and we'll have a better, younger team, with an easier schedule. Every vet on the team will be in year two of the offensive and defensive systems.

All I know is, for every 1 TD/2 INT/1 lost fumble game, he also has a 3-4 TD game. Something that McNabb managed to do once.

So while he's just as inconsistent as McNabb in general (except in the short game, where he's better), he is at least capable of huge games...something McNabb never really accomplished here.

Well given that teams like the Giants, Jets, Cowboys, etc are doing some practicing on there own, seems like a good time for Beck to show some

leadership, and organize some Redskin workouts.

He and Grossman already have, earlier than any other team actually. Hopefully they'll hold more workouts soon.

The fact that Parcells' Miami team cut him is the biggest plus Beck has going. Miami has screwed up so much at the QB position the last few years, Beck being successful in D.C. would just add to their disaster in Dolphin land. They didn't draft Matt Ryan. They drafted Pat White. They drafted Chad Henne. These were all wrong moves in the first two rounds of the draft the last few years. Plus, the Ravens haven't exactly been the franchise of enlightened QB decisions. How many Superbowls might Ray Lewis have won if that team could have found and kept just a consistently decent QB?

Beck is the only QB currently "really" on the roster. He knows the playbook and most of the players by now. He deserves as much of a chance as anyone they might bring in, including Grossman, to start.

I really like the way John Beck plays QB. His rookie year with the Dolphins, watching some games, I don't see bad QB play. If anything he's getting the ball out too quick, leading to drops by inferior skill players.

He avoids the rush well and looks to give recievers a chance to make a play on the ball, attacking downfield with anticipation throws, even if they're not perfectly placed. I would much rather see Beck starting for the Skins than McNabb, Grossman, or any of this year's rookie class. He fits the scheme better, at the very least...in my opinion. FYI, I am not nor have I ever been a member of the Cult of Colt. I'm not fullblown insane.

He's been learning the offense, I really hope he gets a shot. Not going to win the SB this year anyways :P

To be very blunt, the 2011 Washington Redskins will barely make it to 5 wins with the current roster. It wouldn't hurt to just give Beck the damn ball for 16 games and see what happens. If he's god awful, we'd be in position to draft a top 2 QB in 2012. However, if he proves to be serviceable (22+ TDs, 3300+ yds in 2012), we could either build around him, or try to get something for him while he's still "hot". Either way, just give him the ball and see what he's made out of.

It is plain silly to make these kind of predictions prior to free agency taking place. We appear to have had a solid draft. You add a solid CB, interior offensive lineman and wideout to this roster, and there

is no reason why we cannot improve on last year. Our QB play was poor last year. If Beck equals the QB production last year, but with more weapons and help around him the offense could be more effective. I think there is little doubt the defense is going to be improved with our pickup at FS and who we got in the draft.

A scout, not affiliated with the Skins:

“I did like John Beck coming out of college. He had a terrible Senior Bowl game. At BYU I thought he was quick with his feet, and dropped quickly. He had a good release and was very accurate short and intermediate. He could scramble away from pressure. He had a real accurate arm, he just didn’t have great size. But I’ll tell you what, they loved him at BYU. They couldn’t say enough about him. They thought he had good accuracy and smarts. It was just a matter of getting an opportunity and staying in one system. It wouldn’t shock me if he’s their starter. I thought he could be. You probably want someone better in the long run but you can win with him. He’s better than Rex Grossman by a longshot. Grossman is erratic as hell. If Beck gets dialed in and he’s smart, he can handle that offense.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/redskins/2011/05/razzano-redskins-get-b-can-win-beck

Vince Young??? Isn't Haynesworth one lunatic too many....

Like I said in another thread, Beck couldn't beat out CLEO LEMON in Miami. Lemon is now in the Canadian league and he threw more INTs than TDs last season. Whatever the 'it' factor is that makes someone an NFL QB, Beck has none of 'it'. Let's put aside this foolishness and sign Vince Young.

• 2 months later...

So...

In order for Beck to play well, the coaches have to be smart and competent enough to use him right. The wide receivers have to be on the same page with the QB [guess it is good that Anthony Armstrong feels a lil overwhelmed by how often Beck is contacting him]. Kyle and Mike are both sold on Beck [and it was Kyle who was opposed to McNabb from the start].

I'm in. This is interesting enough to be a major storyline of the season. "No one saw this coming! Except of course, the Shanahans and Beck..."

Fire up the popcorn! Oh wait theres none? Okay, I'll have the koolaid then. :koolaid:

Thought this could use a bump...I could use the positive thinking now that I know there's going to be a season. :silly:

A timely bump.

I find the insight of a BYU fan intriguing. If what he says about Beck is true, then Beck sounds like a good fit for Kyle's offense.

I like Art's take on this. It is hard to believe he will be any good, but what if he is? In a way, he seems like he fits.

I would add the Shanny said he is willing to stake his reputation on this guy.

The big concern here is that it is going to look bad before it looks good, and we will have to be patient. Once coach, QB, and the WRs get on the same page, this passing game might be surprisingly good.

I'm not saying to warm up the bandwagon just yet, but I'd like to save a seat.

Sounds like Beck is the type of guy that the Shanny's want to work with at QB - a perfectionist who will practice the details in order to get every little detail correct. Assuming this is true, the real key will be the talent level and time required to learn the system to the level that he needs....

Guess we'll see

His receivers have to run precision routes and make the plays. If they do that, he will put the ball where it needs to be. Please don't choke here but I have watched Gifford Neilson, Marc Wilson, Jim McMahon, Steve Young, Ty Detmer and a host of other very good QB's parade through BYU's campus and IMO John Beck clearly has the best arm of all of them.

Really good stuff, I just hope the ledge walkers don't look down until John Beck has gotten a handle on the offense and the other players in it.

His receivers have to run precision routes and make the plays. If they do that, he will put the ball where it needs to be. Please don't choke here but I have watched Gifford Neilson, Marc Wilson, Jim McMahon, Steve Young, Ty Detmer and a host of other very good QB's parade through BYU's campus and IMO John Beck clearly has the best arm of all of them.

Really good stuff, I just hope the ledge walkers don't look down until John Beck has gotten a handle on the offense and the other players in it.

Really? All the tape on him at this level shows he can't hit a pass after 15 yards. All of the hype with Beck is from MS. There's no reason to suspect he will succeed and giving him a chance won't hurt either. Let's just not make something that he's not. He's not strong. He can't throw the deep pass accurately. He doesn't have actual experience at this level. There's actually no reason to suspect that the MS punch has any sugar in it!

Archived