Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 NFL Draft, Day 3 Wishlist

SkinsGuru

Apologies in advance for the long post. I spend roughly a year researching for the draft so this time of year is Christmas in April for me.

This year's draft, to me, has the makings of becoming the best the Skins have had in years. Many years. And this is coming from someone whose made no bones about his displeasure with recent Redskins drafts. The three players we've already selected could all start day one (though I think only Kerrigan and Jenkins will start initially, with Hankerson becoming a starter by the mid or late part of the season). The success of our 2011 draft class, however, will depend on how well we use the selections we've accumulated for day three. I can't stress this fact enough.

Observing positions of need and needs already addressed, I'd bet the Redskins are going to draft at least one more wideout, as well as at least one RB and hopefully several offensive lineman. Another three-technique DE or a NT is probably in the cards as well. A QB (though this QB class is very mediocre IMO, with the possible exception of Gabbert) is possible and CB is obviously a good bet. An ILB wouldn't hurt either. It also wouldn't surprise me if we drafted a Kicker.

In studying this year's draft class over the course of this past year for a new NFL blog I contribute to (CyberGM), this is the pool of players I hope the Skins choose from with their remaining 10 choices in what is setting up to be the most exciting Redskins draft day I can recall in my 28 years on this earth:

Rounds 4 & 5

Marcus Cannon, OT, Texas Christian - projected as a second (some even thought first) round talent, Cannon's recent cancer diagnosis (a treatable form of non-Hodgkin lymphoma) has him free-falling.

Davon House, CB, New Mexico State

Edmund Gates, WR, Abilene Christian

Jerrell Powe, DT, Mississippi

Quan Sturdivant, ILB, North Carolina - many consider him the best ILB prospect of the draft; highly doubtful that he'll fall to us in round 4

Chimdi Chekwa, CB, Ohio State

Casey Matthews, ILB, Oregon

Cling Boling, OG, Georgia

Stephen Schilling, OG, Michigan

Colin McCarthy, OLB/ILB, Miami

Lee Ziemba, OT, Auburn

Brandon Burton, CB, Utah

Jason Pinkston, OT, Pittsburgh - though an effective college OT, his lack of ideal size could mean he's best suited as a Guard at the next level

Kristofer O'Dowd, C, Southern California - also possesses the skill-set to move over to Guard

Brandon Fusco, C, Slippery Rock

Brandon Hogan, CB, West Virginia

Buster Skrine, CB, Chattanooga

Greg Jones, ILB, Michigan State

DeMarcus Love, OT, Arkansas - played OT in college but projects more as a Guard in the pros

Pierre Allen, DE/OLB, Nebraska

Lawrence Guy, DT/DE, Arizona State

Rounds 6, 7 & undrafted free agents

Derrick Locke, RB, Kentucky - electrifying playmaker that can also return kicks. I'm on record as calling him the Leon Washington of this year's draft

Jamie Harper, RB, Clemson

Johnny White, RB, North Carolina

(would have loved to nab LSU's Stevan Ridley and had him pegged as a sleeper pick at RB on the blog, but alas the Patriots somewhat surprisingly took him in day 2)

Byron Stingily, OT, Louisville

Willie Smith, OT, East Carolina - raw? yes, but has fantastic upside

Trevis Turner, OT, Abilene Christian - will be one of the steals of this draft

Da'Rel Scott, RB, Mayrland - though he probably wouldn't contribute on every down, I see him as a perfect, homerun hitting fit in a zone blocking scheme like ours

Terrance Toliver, WR, Louisiana State

Cliff Matthews, DE/OLB, South Carolina

Keith Williams, OG, Nebraska

Martin Parker, DT/DE, Richmond

David Arkin, OG, Missouri State

Ray Dominguez, OG, Arkansas

Justin Rogers, CB, Richmond

Josh Thomas, CB, Buffalo

Ollie Ogbu, DT/DE, Penn State

Aldrick Robinson, WR, Southern Methodist

Ricardo Lockette, WR, Fort Valley State

Mike Mohamed, ILB, California - probably be the smartest player at his position in this year's class

Tim Barnes, C, Missouri - not the best athlete, but his intangibles and intelligence will give him a chance to succeed in the pros

Caleb Schlauderaff, OG, Utah - versatile, good on the move, and also has some experience at Tackle

Zach Williams, C, Washington State - needs to work on improving technique (often misfires on shotgun snaps for instance) but is a versatile option (can play all three positions along the interior line) and worth a late round flier

Chris Neild, DT, West Virginia

Alex Henry, K/P, Nebraska

Josh Bynes, ILB, Auburn - dude is a human hammer

Kris Adams, WR, Texas-El Paso

Brandon Saine, RB, Ohio State - rare blend of size, speed, and power gives him serious upside despite the need to fine-tune his technique

Nic Grisby, RB, Arizona - most mocks don't even have him being drafted, but this speedy back with good hands is one of the most underrated players in the nation and has a great shot at making an NFL roster either as a late-round draft choice or a free agent, if he stays healthy

Nick Bellore, ILB, Central Michigan

Adam Froman, QB, Louisville

Jeff Tarpinian, ILB/OLB, Iowa

Justin Roper, QB, Montana

Terrance McCrae, WR, Ohio - most likely won't get drafted, but easily one of my favorite undrafted sleepers given his size, speed and respectable collegiate production

Great list and input. Sione Fua has already been selected. I really like your list, any of these picks for us on the 3rd day and I'd be happy with them. Johnny White from UNC would be a steal I think. He always played with high energy and effort and has some size. Pat Devlin would be a guy I'd like to get, or Ricky Stanzi in the 4th. Casey matthews would also be someone I'd like to have today.

I think that the rumor we're gonna be in the Asumugha(sp?0 sweepstakes drives me away from going CB. But why no love anywhere for a solid ILB. There are alot of good players on board at this position and it's def a need IMO.

Also, OG/C should be #1 IMO.

I was furious about the 3rd tradeback unitl Hankerson fell to us...makes it all worthwhile. WHAT A DRAFT IMO after what we began with.

Well done FO...good luck today. Love Kerrigan pick, love Hankerson 3rd round (this is value, not in 2nd), love DL pick in 2nd...Bravo

I was expecting plenty to mention McElroy. He's definitely this year's sexy sleeper pick at QB. I tell you what, I love the guy's intangibles (going by character, leadership, and smarts alone, he's easily ahead of at least five of the six QBs already selected). I honestly just think he lacks too much of what can't really be taught. I don't see him as anything more than a serviceable backup at the next level. I'd be more than happy for him to prove me wrong, especially if we draft him by chance.

Stanzi seems quite immature and simply not mentally prepared for the spotlight that would be on him as a QB in Washington (or any big city), even as camp fodder. IMO he needs to go to a smaller market club and brought along slowly.

NoleSkin, that's exactly what I see in White as well. That kind of motor, combined with more than adequate physical tools, make him a solid choice for anyone on day three.

Had forgotten to delete Fua, thanks for pointing that out.

There are a bunch of good RB's left......Jacquizz Rogers & Kendall Hunter are my top 2...I also like Johnny White & Jordan Todman.

I see us trading two 5th rd picks to get another 4th rd pick.

bottom line is that we should be able to fill alot of holes in this draft....LOVE IT!

I think that the rumor we're gonna be in the Asumugha(sp?0 sweepstakes drives me away from going CB. But why no love anywhere for a solid ILB. There are alot of good players on board at this position and it's def a need IMO.

Also, OG/C should be #1 IMO.

I was furious about the 3rd tradeback unitl Hankerson fell to us...makes it all worthwhile. WHAT A DRAFT IMO after what we began with.

Well done FO...good luck today. Love Kerrigan pick, love Hankerson 3rd round (this is value, not in 2nd), love DL pick in 2nd...Bravo

Could not agree more with this. ILB is a HUGE need for this team. Rocky is gone, Fletch is a year or two from hanging it up, and Riley and Henson are BIG ifs. There needs to be some competition at this spot, and, if nothing else, guys that play this position can often become solid special teams performers.

3-4 defenses, for all the talk about NTs, are actually built around solid LB corps. Look at the successful 3-4s, and they all have great to very good LB corps acroos the board, while some have just OK NTs. I love the Kerrigan pick, now let's get some high energy guys to man the middle of the field, and make tackles. Add some beef on the OL, and grab a RB, or two, and this draft could be the Skins best in 30 years!

Could not agree more with this. ILB is a HUGE need for this team. Rocky is gone, Fletch is a year or two from hanging it up, and Riley and Henson are BIG ifs. There needs to be some competition at this spot, and, if nothing else, guys that play this position can often become solid special teams performers.

3-4 defenses, for all the talk about NTs, are actually built around solid LB corps. Look at the successful 3-4s, and they all have great to very good LB corps acroos the board, while some have just OK NTs. I love the Kerrigan pick, now let's get some high energy guys to man the middle of the field, and make tackles. Add some beef on the OL, and grab a RB, or two, and this draft could be the Skins best in 30 years!

There are some terrific ILBs still on the board. Plenty of scouts thought Quan Sturdivant was the best of the bunch and he's still out there. Colin McCarthy and Casey Matthews (bloodlines alone will have teams clamoring for him today) should both be off the board early today. Josh Bynes is another solid prospect and one we might be able to get in the late 5th or even 6th round.

With all these late round picks should the Skins spend one on a punter or even a kicker? I like Chas Henry from Florida quite a bit. Alex Henery from Nebraska is touted as a very good kicker and punter and may be able to fill both needs for a team at the NFL level..Kicking has plagued this team for way too long. I know they wasted a pick on D. Brooks 3 or 4 years ago but something needs to be done.

These are the guys I like, Red is big wish list:

QB Stanzi, McElroy.....or wild card Taylor

RB White, Powell, Royster

WR Doss, Paul,

T Cannon, Zemba

C Fusco

G Boling, Arkin

DE Acho

DT Bair

NT Neild, Williams

OLB Wright, Thomas, Herzich-early 7th round flyer!

ILB Matthews, Wight, Mohammed

CB Chekwa, Charmichaeil

FS Holmes, Nelson

SS Black, Sash, Searcy

Give me a combination of both lines; DB, particularly corner; a kicker and punter; and a speedster back if there is one and this draft might well be our best in years.

Hail.

Sorry,GHH didn't see your mention of kicker/punter before I made my previous post.

Ahh I was about to start this thread, nice

I really wanted Sione Fua or Kenrick Ellis, we just missed them!

So.. LEFT on my wishlist..

Jerrell Powe, Ian Williams, Lawrence Guy, Chris Nield - NT

Brandon Bair - DT/DE

DeMarcus Love, Marcus Cannon, Daniel Ziemba, Marcus Fusco, Clint Boling- OL

Tori Gurley, Edmond Gates, JEFF MAEHL, DeAndre Brown, Dane Sanzehbacher - WR

CASEY MATTHEWS, Mark Herzlich - LB

TYROD TAYLOR - QB

BUSTER SKRINE - CB

Taiwan Jones, Dion Lewis, Da'Rel Scott, Jacquizz Rogers - RB

The ones in caps.. my personal little man-crushes haha

Boling would be a nice pickup for Shanny's ZBS.

Matthews would be worth taking a flyer on in the 5th

Mcelroy is worth a shot in the 5th

Locke or Jacquizz Rogers might be worth a shot.

If they fail to draft an o-lineman then it is pretty telling that they are going to be active in FA (whenever that happens) same with cornerback.

my .02

Jerrell Powe would be a great pick as a two down two gap NT. He will not give you much pass rush but he will take a double team and hold his ground in a zero or one technique.

+1

Posted this in another thread. at 6-2 335 I think this guy could be the space eater in the middle of our defense that we have been looking for.

I would like to use some of these picks to fill out the OL (obviously none of these guys will be close to a sure thing, but we can try) and maybe pick a calculated risk at QB. I think that Grossman and Beck can be our bridge QB for another year while we evaluate someone like McElroy and/or plan to pick a stud in next year's draft.

If we can use the next 10 picks to get 1-2 starters and 1-2 role players along the OL, LB, DL, and ST...I'll be very happy.

Archived