Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

People say- "I am Christian"; so?

88Comrade2000

IDK, my personal experience with athiest and gnostics is that they are some of the most arrogant and condescending ppl on the face of the earth. I can't tell you the amount of times i've tried to get into civilized conversations that quickly turned into being cursed at. Not saying all are like that, i'm positive ALL aren't but most that i've dealt with appear to be some miserable ppl.

From my post:

Note that I'm not saying religious folk are any more arrogant than non-religious overall, I'm simply reviewing one claim. [/Quote]

I'm just talking about the claim.

For the record I think atheism in general gets labeled as arrogant simply because it's against the mainstream coupled with the fact that religion is almost immune from criticism in this country. If I were to point out my problems with your economic policies based on facts and an attempt at reason, I doubt I would be called arrogant.

Edit: Also I am sorry for your past experiences with atheists. I don't know who/what/why you were arguing or why it got so out of hand, but most atheists I know are generally afraid to say anything at all. Especially down here in Texas.

The pedantic stone that will destroy the colossal mindset of religion and will be used to teach and enlighten the entire world.

And now I will turn the other cheek and bid you farewell.

May Peace be with you

We have a new challenger taking the lead in the arrogance sweepstakes... ooh, is brettstr coming on strong... he's passing contenders left and right in the outer lane.

---------- Post added April-23rd-2011 at 01:25 PM ----------

The stance of atheism/agnosticism is as far from arrogance as you can get (I say atheist/agnostic because I personally view atheism as
). I simply say there there is no evidence for any one religion over another and no obvious ruler of the universe. Atheism is the rejection of some pretty extraordinary claims in favor of skepticism, at least in my case. When viewed side by side with claims to know the mind of the creator of the universe, I can't say I see my claim as arrogant.

Note that I'm not saying religious folk are any more arrogant than non-religious overall, I'm simply reviewing one claim.

It should be that way, but in practice it's often not esp. on internet threads :D

I liken some atheists to people who've quit smoking and become incredibly avid advocates against the practice. They tend to be louder and more insistant than many... or to people I know who've converted to a religion. The people I know who've converted to Judaism, for example, tend to be far more devout and vocal about their beliefs. I suspect it's because they've worked so much harder and fought inner and outer demons during the changeover. I can't imagine that becoming an atheist, converting to a new religion, or quitting an addictive substance can be easy.

I liken some atheists to people who've quit smoking and become incredibly avid advocates against the practice. They tend to be louder and more insistant than many... or to people I know who've converted to a religion. The people I know who've converted to Judaism, for example, tend to be far more devout and vocal about their beliefs. I suspect it's because they've worked so much harder and fought inner and outer demons during the changeover. I can't imagine that becoming an atheist, converting to a new religion, or quitting an addictive substance can be easy.

Can't speak for anyone else but dropping my faith when the time came was pretty easy. The worst times I had were contemplating an eternal hell, knowing there must be some chance I would go there; I've never been afraid of a death where I don't exist though. I am very thankful for that.

EDIT: Forgot to add I think you are right though. Advocating your position could help to reinforce confidence in your choice.

See, where I'd imagine it would be tough would not only be coming to that conclusion in your heart, but dealing with disonance from family, friends and loved ones. I know my Grandmother would have been heartbroken, my Mom would have dealt with it... dealing with their disappointment and disapproval would have been tough though.

No one in my immediate family has ever been very religious, though I did go to church and Sunday school from about 12-15. My dad wasn't really disappointed, for a cranky old republican he's quite open-minded. He didn't even ask me why I decided, simply said he figured I had my reasons, although he did give me the advice to keep it to myself :ols:

Never was good at following his advice.

I always forget to post everything I want: Wanted to add that I was lucky in that 3 of my closest friends feel the same way I do, one of them some years before me and the other two right around the same time, although it did affect some relationships I had.

I guess I overwhelmed many here with an open question, especially "Why call yourself something that was originallly meant as a label of insult and to weave out those to be victims of heinious acts, But who am I?

Because we don't care what people think about us, we understand that persecution is coming and we expect it, if they want to call us "Little Christs" we'll gladly wear that badge with honor.

I asked if Jesus never called himself a christian and he had forsight to know many would call him that and he said " Why do you call me good" then..........

Jesus never called himself Christian because he is the CHRIST, what's more is the quote "Why do you call me good" is taken wholly out of context.

Some of the responses show me that some here dont unsderstand the root and original definitions of words.

Original definitions mean nothing, word usage changes from place to place and time to time, and insisting that words have inherent meaning that stays with the word no matter what is an idea from ignorance that language is not a static thing. Otherwise gay would not today mean what it does.

I wonder how many of you that embrace the word Christian, would lay down their life if an army appeared and began to slay all christians? Would you raise your hand and say I am one.

I will not deny my Lord and Savior, I would pray that I would not fear those who can harm this body, but instead fear only the one who holds my eternal life.

The Greek gods liked to have sex with mortal women too. It often didn't turn out well.

somethings never change, just the name of the religion

Gen 1:4There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

Luke 1:35 The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you.

Gen 1:4There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

Luke 1:35 The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you.

:ols: Seriously.....:ols:...:rotflmao:.....just because you want to read a perversion into the scriptures doesn't mean that the perversion is there. This is like watching a 2 year old bang on daddy's drum set, you have the sticks in hand and you know they do something, but you have no idea what is actually going on.

and I am sure you know what when on because you were there. You see it as prevision I see it as the Gospel

Bible is full of sex that is never talked about in church. If they made a real movie about the bible it would be rated X for sex and violence. That being said the stories in the bible are not unlike other stories in the region. The church taught us to call them MYTHS and call their stories scripture

and I am sure you know what when on because you were there. You see it as prevision I see it as the Gospel

And so just as authoritatively you pronounce that God had sex with Mary, even though God Himself thought that was an abomination. Gotcha :thumbsup:

Bible is full of sex that is never talked about in church. If they made a real movie about the bible it would be rated X for sex and violence. That being said the stories in the bible are not unlike other stories in the region. The church taught us to call them MYTHS and call their stories scripture

Just because the Bible talks about sex, oh and we talk about sex in the church because we're mature and can talk about such things without sounding like Beavis and Butthead, but none of that means that the scriptures state that God had sex with Mary.

Just nice to see you banging away on daddy's drum set, let's just not fool ourselves into thinking that you're ready to go on tour. ;)

Seems you are a litle off since you seem to be quoting Genesis 6

What some call myths may be retelling of history with a different spin

Seems you are a litle off since you seem to be quoting Genesis 6

Yeah, I wasn't even going to go there, just more fun to let it sit and as people look up the passage wonder what in the world he's talking about.

"Genesis 1:4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness." What's more is that he doesn't even want to follow the account in Genesis 6 that he wants to show God's approval for having sex with humans, and yet in response to "the sons of God saw that the daughters of humans were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose", we find the following; "Then the LORD said, “My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years", and then he sent the flood because of the wickedness of humanity, but yeppers that passage sure does show God having sex with humans and celebrating it.

What some call myths may be retelling of history with a different spin

When we tell history from a theological perspective they call it a myth, when they tell it without God it's fact. :rolleyes:

ASF, Don't you have a congregation to go brow beat this morning?

Nice to see you haven't abandoned the thread, just that you like to occasionally toss in irrelevant bombs in order to show your annoyance with me.

BTW, in case you were wondering, and you probably already knew this which just makes your comment above a matter of pure trolling, Sunday School doesn't start until 10am, and then the brow beating commences at 11am.

---------- Post added April-24th-2011 at 09:02 AM ----------

Very telling

LOL! Yeah I love that picture! It's from Vacation Bible School, and the kids loved it. Probably some of the most fun I've had at a VBS in a long time. Oh and if you think that's supposed to be some sort of an insult, you're sadly mistaken, but then I'm not surprised that someone who refuses to argue facts would try to do an end around with some limp wristed ad hominem. Although you'd never believe how hot that jacket was, it was like wearing carpet.

Yeah, I wasn't even going to go there, just more fun to let it sit and as people look up the passage wonder what in the world he's talking about.

"Genesis 1:4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness." What's more is that he doesn't even want to follow the account in Genesis 6 that he wants to show God's approval for having sex with humans, and yet in response to "the sons of God saw that the daughters of humans were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose", we find the following; "Then the LORD said, “My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years", and then he sent the flood because of the wickedness of humanity, but yeppers that passage sure does show God having sex with humans and celebrating it.

When we tell history from a theological perspective they call it a myth, when they tell it without God it's fact. :rolleyes:

I have always seen the story of the greek gods as a another telling of the pre flood tale.

Of course I have always believed that it was possible for those angels who rebelled to tell men they were god or gods or even to call themselves angels by a certain names

And so just as authoritatively you pronounce that God had sex with Mary, even though God Himself thought that was an abomination. Gotcha :thumbsup:

Shrimp is an abomination for him also. lord also thinks liars are an abomination yet he send lying spirits to people. Hardness of heart is also a abomination yet God Hardens Pharaohs heart. Gods laws to men apparently does not apply to him. Bottom line she was pregnant. They did no have In vitro fertilization back then.

virgin birth story is not unlike Samson birth story in Judges 13.

as for the thread theme never had a problem with Xians . Where i will debate here i stay out of it in public unless they impose on me

Shut up. I am being entertained by this thread.

Everybody knows that there are crazy things in the bible. Things that sound horrific and give non-believers the Hebe-jebies. It's downright funny!

Yes, it's funny how 98% of people recant their opposition to religion on their death bed!

Shrimp is an abomination for him also. lord also thinks liars are an abomination yet he send lying spirits to people. Hardness of heart is also a abomination yet God Hardens Pharaohs heart. Gods laws to men apparently does not apply to him. Bottom line she was pregnant. They did no have In vitro fertilization back then.

as for the thread theme never had a problem with Xians . Where i will debate here i stay out of it in public unless they impose on me

May help if you better understood what was being said before trying to rag on it.

For instance the prophet Mi‧cai′ah was trying to tell the king his so called prophets were lying to him and tellling him what the king wanted to hear.

Smason would be more like God helping with hormone therapy

As for Jesus it would be more complex more like self fertilzation along with the ability to down load what makes a person into another body

Shrimp is an abomination for him also.

And apparently you just want to ignore the parts of the Bible where all of that changed (:secret: it's in Acts and involves Peter)...it's not surprising that you would do so, because if I were trying to undermine the Bible I certainly wouldn't want to draw attention to passages that completely undermine the agenda that I was pushing. :ols:

lord also thinks liars are an abomination yet he send lying spirits to people.

Hardness of heart is also a abomination yet God Hardens Pharaohs heart.

More and more proof that God doesn't fit into the tiny box you've painted for Him. I urge you to actually read those passages to find out why God allowed such things. I guess God likes killing families and servants too, since He allowed Satan to do those things to Job.

Gods laws to men apparently does not apply to him. Bottom line she was pregnant. They did no have In vitro fertilization back then.

:ols: Let's see, the God who forms man from the dust NEEDS to choose between sexual intercourse or in vitro? BTW, you might want to go check your theology regarding the Son of Man and His pre-existence to understand that Jesus was not conceived in any manner we've ever known. But, then again I really wouldn't expect you to do that since you already have all the answers that you want....wrong answers, but answers none the less.

:ols: Seriously, now you're trying to read virgin birth into Judges 13?! :ols: All the angel said was that she would become pregnant, it never once said that she was a virgin and it never once said that it wouldn't be through natural means. If you're looking for an equivalent to the Judges 13 announcement might I suggest Genesis 18 and the announcement to Abraham and Sarah.

Sorry, but seriously, if you can't figure out that you're really grasping then there's not a lot that can help you. I would honestly suggest that you stop googling for anti-Bible websites and actually sit down and READ that which you are claiming to know so much about. Because it's like this, I don't claim to be an expert on Shakespeare even though I can google passages from his writings, I don't claim to make interpretations on the meaning of Hamlet, or The Taming of the Shrew because I've never actually studied them, and if someone had actually made a life of studying those writings then I'd listen to them in what they had to say, but since this is about religion and the Bible then apparently every armchair theologian's interpretation and representation of scripture is equally valid, and every agenda driven Bible critic is right because the website they're getting their info from is infallible. Seriously, the double standard is mind numbing.

I guess I overwhelmed many here with an open question, especially "Why call yourself something that was originallly meant as a label of insult and to weave out those to be victims of heinious acts, But who am I?

I asked if Jesus never called himself a christian and he had forsight to know many would call him that and he said " Why do you call me good" then..........

Some of the responses show me that some here dont unsderstand the root and original definitions of words.

Take note: I will never try and persuade any of you to embrace or adopt my own personal belief. Just asked some candid questions.

I wonder how many of you that embrace the word Christian, would lay down their life if an army appeared and began to slay all christians? Would you raise your hand and say I am one.

????????????????????????????????????????????????/

in a hearbeat, if that

Archived