Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

People say- "I am Christian"; so?

88Comrade2000

If you didn't look that up kudos to you. John was the last book I've read recently and I just remembered the very vague, weird beginning of it and that line in particular. My bible actually does have an annotation that says the same thing, now looking closer.

I spent some time in seminary studying these things so I have a head start. ;)

---------- Post added April-25th-2011 at 08:32 PM ----------

And one of the biggest questions I raise is the question of "The Great Commission" vs "the Great Commandment". i.e. when Jesus says "Go ye therefore baptizing in the name of the Father, the son, and the Holy Spirit", is that a commandment or is that a suggestion? When Jesus says that the greatest commandment is to love God and to love your neighbor, was the great commission something that he knew would later supersede this? Sounds kinda contradictory.

Jesus never called it the "Great Commission" that's a heading given to that passage later on when the chapter and verse numbers were added, as such the Bible never mentions "a Great Commission", and even if it did there is a difference between a commandment and a commission. For instance, a military officer, or a missionary receive a commissioning; i.e. their mission to go forth etc. The commandment isn't contradicted by that in the least because the greatest commandment and it's twin are what guide and direct Christians as we fulfill the "Great Commission".

Continuing what I was saying earlier, one of my biggest questions on Christianity comes with the preached "fear of Hell". To me, its so sad that the great commission has been reduced to a few lines from the Gospels and sermon after sermon of "become a Christian or you're going to Hell". I mean, thats basically what ASF has been saying here - that the Christian way is the way.

Well, that is kinda what the New Testament does say, and in fact Jesus says just that.

John 14:6 "Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

If your only purpose for converting to Christianity is fear of going to hell, then to paraphrase Paul in Romans, you're focusing on the letter of the law and not the spirit of the law. I don't know if I believe in Hell, but I definitely don't fear it. If my not preaching the great commission makes me wind up there then I'm satisfied that my heart was in the right place and I'll deal with the consequences as they come.

But, not going to Hell is not the only purpose for converting, and if it is then the conversion is wholly self interested, which is why I do not practice a "hellfire and brimstone" preaching, instead we come to faith in Jesus Christ because He has first sought to redeem/restore us to full humanity; i.e. the human life that God originally created which was then corrupted by sin. This restoration is partially known in this life and fully known in the resurrection. But, to say that the only reason to become a Christian is to save your butt from the fire would be a complete misunderstanding of the Christian faith and God's salvation work throughout history.

Sorry ASF but I will call no one Master even in a spiritual context.

Like I said, I don't despise you for being so involved with your faith. It just doesn't work for me.

My family is religious as I have shared, but for me...it's not the same I want more than thinking I know what is right.

It should be clear, not cloudy. It is amazing the twists that people take of any religion to try to prove their choice is the right one.

In my mind at my age God would have already sent me a clear message, I have looked and given effort to find the truth, but decades later, still no answer.

Sorry ASF but I will call no one Master even in a spiritual context.

Then faith in Christ isn't for you, at least not at this time, because a major part of faith in Jesus is the recognition of our relationship with God, in that we are utterly dependent upon God, and that the God of the universe has set us free and is our God. As such we recognize that the God of the universe is the master of all.

Like I said, I don't despise you for being so involved with your faith. It just doesn't work for me.

My family is religious as I have shared, but for me...it's not the same I want more than thinking I know what is right.

It should be clear, not cloudy. It is amazing the twists that people take of any religion to try to prove their choice is the right one.

In my mind at my age God would have already sent me a clear message, I have looked and given effort to find the truth, but decades later, still no answer.

I can appreciate that, and I hope that you'll appreciate the fact that it is my hope and prayer that this changes for you. :peace1:

http://www.thinkatheist.com/profiles/blogs/bill-nye-bood-in-texas-for Yes, I see the name of the link.

But nothing got people as riled as when he brought up Genesis 1:16, which reads: "God made two great lights -- the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars."

The lesser light, he pointed out, is not a light at all, but only a reflector.

At this point, several people in the audience stormed out in fury. One woman yelled "We believe in God!" and left with three children, thus ensuring that people across America would read about the incident and conclude that Waco is as nutty as they'd always suspected.

People put a little too much into "God", with no substance IMO.

Watching Rev Graham on The Last Word Right now defining Christianity defending Trump and casting doubts about Obama is painful.

It was painful, I'm watching the late running of the show. Now Lawrence is quoting Jesus about anyone who follows him should give up everything, everything to follow him. Matthew 25:31-46. American Standard Version

31But when the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the angels with him, then shall he sit on the throne of his glory: 32and before him shall be gathered all the nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as the shepherd separateth the sheep from the goats; 33and he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35for I was hungry, and ye gave me to eat; I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink; I was a stranger, and ye took me in; 36naked, and ye clothed me; I was sick, and ye visited me; I was in prison, and ye came unto me. 37Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee hungry, and fed thee? or athirst, and gave thee drink? 38And when saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? 39And when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 40And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it unto one of these my brethren, even these least, ye did it unto me.

41Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into the eternal fire which is prepared for the devil and his angels: 42for I was hungry, and ye did not give me to eat; I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink; 43I was a stranger, and ye took me not in; naked, and ye clothed me not; sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. 44Then shall they also answer, saying, Lord, when saw we thee hungry, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? 45Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not unto one of these least, ye did it not unto me. 46And these shall go away into eternal punishment: but the righteous into eternal life.

I don't see a lot that is "Christian" about modern day religion or corporations who are so supported by those who purport to be "Christian." I do know plenty of those who either aren't involved in organized religion or who are out and out atheists who follow these teachings.

I don't see a lot that is "Christian" about modern day religion or corporations who are so supported by those who purport to be "Christian." I do know plenty of those who either aren't involved in organized religion or who are out and out atheists who follow these teachings.

Let's not be too quick to cast out very broad generalizations, firstly because by your own admission you aren't in the church and as such you don't know what many Christians are doing and most Christians don't advertise their gifts of charity, what you see are the public Christians and I'd be tempted to agree with you, but let's not pretend that Christians don't do the things Jesus commands of them and pretend that only atheists do.

BTW, Franklin Graham is no Billy.

http://www.thinkatheist.com/profiles/blogs/bill-nye-bood-in-texas-for Yes, I see the name of the link.

But nothing got people as riled as when he brought up Genesis 1:16, which reads: "God made two great lights -- the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars."

The lesser light, he pointed out, is not a light at all, but only a reflector.

At this point, several people in the audience stormed out in fury. One woman yelled "We believe in God!" and left with three children, thus ensuring that people across America would read about the incident and conclude that Waco is as nutty as they'd always suspected.

People put a little too much into "God", with no substance IMO.

Wow. Waco is a bunch of nut jobs though, **** Waco.

I wonder how they explain new moons.

Let's not be too quick to cast out very broad generalizations, firstly because by your own admission you aren't in the church and as such you don't know what many Christians are doing and most Christians don't advertise their gifts of charity, what you see are the public Christians and I'd be tempted to agree with you, but let's not pretend that Christians don't do the things Jesus commands of them and pretend that only atheists do.

And let's reflect on that, hall we? For all of the "Servants of the Lord" that are simply shills that manipulate people out of their money, are you part of that charity? Is it charity when a self proclaimed "Servant of the Lord" drives a Bentley and has three mansions? "Humble servants of God" Yea right!

You mention Billy Graham? Are you serious? You are HAVE to be Southern Baptist? If so? This conversation should've ended about 15 pages ago.

Oh and your "Resorting to personal insults" comment? You've been doing it in this thread for quite a while, so save it.

And let's reflect on that, hall we? For all of the "Servants of the Lord" that are simply shills that manipulate people out of their money, are you part of that charity? Is it charity when a self proclaimed "Servant of the Lord" drives a Bentley and has three mansions? "Humble servants of God" Yea right!

You mention Billy Graham? Are you serious? You are HAVE to be Southern Baptist? If so? This conversation should've ended about 15 pages ago.

Oh and your "Resorting to personal insults" comment? You've been doing it in this thread for quite a while, so save it.

So you personally know a pastor driving a Bentley and owns three mansions, huh? Could you shed some light on your vast knowledge of this? Names?

I'm Southern Baptist, my pastor drives the same truck I do, F-150, yeah he's definitely in it for the money.

Also, please point out where ASF insulted you...I'll wait, kthxbye.

For the most part I watch people pick and choose when America is a Christian nation, when it comes to homosexualilty or abortion Anerica is a Christian nation when it comes to restricting these things.

When it comes to holiday celeberations that have been adopted and accepted as Christian holy days and wanting them on full display America is a Christian nation.

But when it comes to programs for helping the poor, loving you enemies and keeping your eye simple taking only what you need and thinking of others before yourself and turning the other cheek and being known by your love it seems that America the Christian nation goes out the window.

So you personally know a pastor driving a Bentley and owns three mansions, huh? Could you shed some light on your vast knowledge of this? Names?

I'm Southern Baptist, my pastor drives the same truck I do, F-150, yeah he's definitely in it for the money.

Also, please point out where ASF insulted you...I'll wait, kthxbye.

Sorry I have to pop in occasionally. Surely tweed you aren't this Naive.

The Pastor who runs the church across the street from Six Flags in Landover, for one. He was my grandparents neighbor. Have you seen that church? You ought to see his house :)

Sorry I have to pop in occasionally. Surely tweed you aren't this Naive.

The Pastor who runs the church across the street from Six Flags in Landover, for one. He was my grandparents neighbor. Have you seen that church? You ought to see his house :)

lol, i know they exist but billy is putting it out there like every pastor owns a Johnny Rockets, has a driver for his limo, signs autographs, and owns 4 mansions, it's simply not true. I'm not from MD so I have no idea what church you are talking about, I do know of one large church in VA, Mclean Bible Church, but as far as I know they do very well because of the area they are in, not because the pastor has some sort of Office Space coding scheme that takes pennies off of every dollar. how about you ask ASF how many bentley's he owns, I'm sure he'd let you rent one for the weekend ;)

Yep, me making less than $30,000 per year with a family of four and trying to pay off student loans, and they see me a rollin' in my Bentley drop top. I do love how you are now instead of trying to argue with facts now are building a strawman in pretending that all pastors are living large off their congregations.

:ols: You oughta go on the comedy stand up tour with this because it is hilarious.

I never insulted you once in this thread, all I did was challenge your interpretations of scripture and ask you to back up those interpretations with actual scripture, I said your interpretations throughout this thread are wrong and I stand by that evaluation, and you have done NOTHING to show otherwise, other than getting angry at me and begin insulting me and trolling this thread. Well done.

---------- Post added April-26th-2011 at 08:28 AM ----------

how about you ask ASF how many bentley's he owns, I'm sure he'd let you rent one for the weekend ;)

My Bentley is a 2009 Nissan Altima that we bought on the cash-4-clunkers program because the mini-van we owned had a transmission that failed as we drove it onto the lot to trade it in. My second car is my real playa ride, 1999 Dodge Ram with over 100,000 miles on it and a big dent in the side with an air conditioner that doesn't work and a driver's side window that won't go down. Don't hate the playah hate the game!

My Bentley is a 2009 Nissan Altima that we bought on the cash-4-clunkers program because the mini-van we owned had a transmission that failed as we drove it onto the lot to trade it in. My second car is my real playa ride, 1999 Dodge Ram with over 100,000 miles on it and a big dent in the side with an air conditioner that doesn't work and a driver's side window that won't go down. Don't hate the playah hate the game!

well I'm sure the yute pastor at the church has an H3 or an Escalade, what about the deacons? I'm sure one of those guys is sporting a Ferarri or at the very least a Mercedes, how else could they make it to church every day of the week?

fred-judge.jpg

yeah i said yutes

---------- Post added April-26th-2011 at 08:41 AM ----------

ASF, You don't have to even justify that one with a response. Especially the part about your car.

I have indeed seen pastors that live large but it is a minority not a typical situation.

BTW - I appreciate your response to my earlier post, Thanks.

i know you weren't responding to me but i'd like to thank you for making sure to point that out. it was something you didn't have to do, very much appreciated.

ASF, You don't have to even justify that one with a response. Especially the part about your car.

I have indeed seen pastors that live large but it is a minority not a typical situation.

I know, at this point I just think it is really sad more than anything. I mean seriously, anyone who knows me knows that there are any multitude of ways to accuse me of something that actually have merit.

BTW - I appreciate your response to my earlier post, Thanks.

:cheers:

Jesus never called it the "Great Commission" that's a heading given to that passage later on when the chapter and verse numbers were added, as such the Bible never mentions "a Great Commission", and even if it did there is a difference between a commandment and a commission. For instance, a military officer, or a missionary receive a commissioning; i.e. their mission to go forth etc. The commandment isn't contradicted by that in the least because the greatest commandment and it's twin are what guide and direct Christians as we fulfill the "Great Commission".

Yeah, but the problem comes because a person can live their life practicing the "teachings" of Jesus, without actually believing that he is the savior. Jesus calls these people "followers of Christ", literally, in Matthew. Gandhi's philosophies are literally based on Jesus's teachings. So because he didn't get baptized, is he supposed to get eternal damnation? I won't worship a god thats that petty. Sorry.

Well, that is kinda what the New Testament does say, and in fact Jesus says just that.

John 14:6 "Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

But again, what does that mean? If I'm in school, then there are certain requirements for graduation, is thats what Jesus is saying here? It sounds like he's saying something more basic, which agrees with Matthew where he talks about followers of Christ. Remember the parable about the good samaratan? Jesus pointed out clearly that the non-Christian who helped these guys out were his neighbor. Remember the guy who was next to Jesus on the cross, he wasn't baptized. He merely confessed a moment before death.

But, not going to Hell is not the only purpose for converting, and if it is then the conversion is wholly self interested, which is why I do not practice a "hellfire and brimstone" preaching, instead we come to faith in Jesus Christ because He has first sought to redeem/restore us to full humanity; i.e. the human life that God originally created which was then corrupted by sin. This restoration is partially known in this life and fully known in the resurrection. But, to say that the only reason to become a Christian is to save your butt from the fire would be a complete misunderstanding of the Christian faith and God's salvation work throughout history.

But thats whats being taught in Church. I've openly asked many pastors why they focus on hell and this great commission instead of the great commandment and I've gotten the reply, "its like when a plane is going through an emergency - you want to save yourself before you save others". Is that really Christian? It sounds like preaching fear, like telling kids about the boogeyman, or monsters under their beds. I read that book and it reminds me of hundreds of other tales of morality that say to help others, love your neighbor, etc. And thats what I practice. If I'm wrong, I'll be wrong, but I don't get bent out of shape when a "Christian" comes trying to correct me, thinking they know more about my eternal fate than I do.

Yeah, but the problem comes because a person can live their life practicing the "teachings" of Jesus, without actually believing that he is the savior. Jesus calls these people "followers of Christ", literally, in Matthew. Gandhi's philosophies are literally based on Jesus's teachings. So because he didn't get baptized, is he supposed to get eternal damnation? I won't worship a god thats that petty. Sorry.

But again, what does that mean? If I'm in school, then there are certain requirements for graduation, is thats what Jesus is saying here? It sounds like he's saying something more basic, which agrees with Matthew where he talks about followers of Christ. Remember the parable about the good samaratan? Jesus pointed out clearly that the non-Christian who helped these guys out were his neighbor. Remember the guy who was next to Jesus on the cross, he wasn't baptized. He merely confessed a moment before death.

But thats whats being taught in Church. I've openly asked many pastors why they focus on hell and this great commission instead of the great commandment and I've gotten the reply, "its like when a plane is going through an emergency - you want to save yourself before you save others". Is that really Christian? It sounds like preaching fear, like telling kids about the boogeyman, or monsters under their beds. I read that book and it reminds me of hundreds of other tales of morality that say to help others, love your neighbor, etc. And thats what I practice. If I'm wrong, I'll be wrong, but I don't get bent out of shape when a "Christian" comes trying to correct me, thinking they know more about my eternal fate than I do.

I'm only going to touch on the highlighted above as I think that ASF would be best to go into detail for your entire post. As a Southern Baptist I don't believe you actually have to be baptized to be saved, it is only symbolic, but also very important if possible. The sinner on the cross with Christ who confessed his sins and asked Him into his heart I believe is saved and in heaven this moment.

The sermon this Sunday actually got into that a very close topic to that, although it wasn't about the sinner on the cross, but about Jeffery Dohmer (sp?). Before Dohmer was murdered in prison he was meeting with an Indiana pastor (Roy Ratcliffe), who helped lead Dohmer to Christ. The basic message was that God is bigger than the sins of Dohmer, and if Dohmer was sincere in his acceptance of Christ into his heart (I have no reason to believe he wasn't sincere, I mean, what did he have to gain? he was serving 17 consecutive life sentences) then Dohmer is in heaven.

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/art_life/display_features.htm?StoryID=111777

i know you weren't responding to me but i'd like to thank you for making sure to point that out. it was something you didn't have to do, very much appreciated.

I consider myself a good person even though I might not care if others do. I know who I am and stand confident regarding it. But you are welcome indeed.

I know, at this point I just think it is really sad more than anything. I mean seriously, anyone who knows me knows that there are any multitude of ways to accuse me of something that actually have merit.

:cheers:

What ??? You drink beer ? We have a more in common than I knew. I thought church members only drank red wine. Learn something new everyday. :silly: haha.

I consider myself a good person even though I might not care if others do. I know who I am and stand confident regarding it. But you are welcome indeed.

What ??? You drink beer ? We have a more in common than I knew. I thought church members only drank red wine. Learn something new everyday. :silly: haha.

please, that man drinks O'Douls don't let him fool you :silly:

John Wesley the founder of Methodism called those with belief and no practice half a Christian, and the opposite is true as well. Christianity is about both faith/belief (orthodoxy) and love/works (orthopraxy) our faith is not an either or choice, but a both-and. And just for a point of clarification I'm not sure where you're talking about in Matthew. As for Ghandi well that's the question of our day, and Rob Bell just got raked over the coals by the conservative theologians because he dared suggest that he didn't know if Ghandi was with God in the afterlife or not. I believe that scripture is clear that Jesus is the only way to God (John 14:, and the only way to righteousness is by faith like Abraham, and I believe that it's clear that God has revealed Himself sufficiently to all people inside or outside of the church, and that life in Christ is not simply about a positive confession that Jesus is Lord but that life in Christ is about faith working through love. Now, with that said, I also believe that God is a gracious God and that there are some who may be accepted by God because they have not heard the Gospel and yet lived their lives by love. Now, does Ghandi fall into that category? Only God knows the answer to that, but the word of caution that I would raise is that Ghandi is by every account an exception. I'm reminded of a line from the TV show House when an auditor is questioning Cuddy about House's rule breaking, he says, "95% of people fall within the rules and the rules work for them", Cuddy responds "What about the other 5%?" and the response is "They have to follow the rules too, because everyone believes they are in that 5%." Now, granted that's a harsh look at it, but I find it to be along those lines.

But again, what does that mean? If I'm in school, then there are certain requirements for graduation, is thats what Jesus is saying here? It sounds like he's saying something more basic, which agrees with Matthew where he talks about followers of Christ. Remember the parable about the good samaratan? Jesus pointed out clearly that the non-Christian who helped these guys out were his neighbor.

It's not that the Samaritan was a non-Christian, it's that the Samaritan was a despised people group rejected by the Jews and that parable was shocking because Jesus highlighted the actions of an hypothetical Samaritan, but Jesus never said that the Samaritan was accepted by God ONLY because of his actions, instead that the neighbor of the man in the ditch was not the self-righteous but instead the man who showed him compassion.

Remember the guy who was next to Jesus on the cross, he wasn't baptized. He merely confessed a moment before death.

Right, but then I'm not in a church nor do I profess that scripture teaches that baptism is necessary for salvation.

But thats whats being taught in Church. I've openly asked many pastors why they focus on hell and this great commission instead of the great commandment and I've gotten the reply, "its like when a plane is going through an emergency - you want to save yourself before you save others". Is that really Christian? It sounds like preaching fear, like telling kids about the boogeyman, or monsters under their beds.

You're right, and I would say that the mentality that you present is a very immature understanding about what being a disciple of Jesus Christ (i.e. a Christian) is truly about. Not saying that there isn't some aspect of "being saved" from something, but to think that "saving our butt from the flames" is the whole of the Gospel would be to ignore 99% of the Gospel message which is about redemption (being brought into a reconciled relationship with God), restoration (being remade into the human life that God originally intended), justification (having our sinfulness covered by sacrifice), sanctification (being made holy by God's grace, and a holy life is a life lived in love).

I read that book and it reminds me of hundreds of other tales of morality that say to help others, love your neighbor, etc. And that's what I practice. If I'm wrong, I'll be wrong, but I don't get bent out of shape when a "Christian" comes trying to correct me, thinking they know more about my eternal fate than I do.

We just know what we believe to be true, and what we believe to be true is that the scriptures are the most clear revelation of God that we have available to us in any way that is definitive and unchanging. :peace1:

---------- Post added April-26th-2011 at 09:23 AM ----------

You should check out the beer thread. ;) Think of me kinda like Friar Tuck.

imagesqtbnANd9GcQfYSIRt5ZUOz7arZcTBPUJwnXXHQzsEUUotSwS-SPbpvdxyfOuFA.jpg

please, that man drinks O'Douls don't let him fool you :silly:

O'Douls! Bah blasphemy!!!

The sermon this Sunday actually got into that a very close topic to that, although it wasn't about the sinner on the cross, but about Jeffery Dohmer (sp?). Before Dohmer was murdered in prison he was meeting with an Indiana pastor (Roy Ratcliffe), who helped lead Dohmer to Christ. The basic message was that God is bigger than the sins of Dohmer, and if Dohmer was sincere in his acceptance of Christ into his heart (I have no reason to believe he wasn't sincere, I mean, what did he have to gain? he was serving 17 consecutive life sentences) then Dohmer is in heaven.

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/art_life/display_features.htm?StoryID=111777

Funny. I don't believe Dohmer is in hell, but I don't believe Gandhi is either. I find it hard to believe that Dohmer has better eternal outlook than Gandhi simply because of a technicality.

lol, i know they exist but billy is putting it out there like every pastor owns a Johnny Rockets

Call me "billy" one more ****ing time.:mad:

I know you enjoy piling on, but it's starting to get annoying. and thanks for the "kthnxby" cell phone teenage acronym crap

Archived