Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about the speed of light....

polywog999

Secondary question: If two ships are traveling in opposite directions and both turn their "headlights" on, would the light from the opposite ship seem as though it were moving away at faster than the speed of light?

Secondary question: If two ships are traveling in opposite directions and both turn their "headlights" on, would the light from the opposite ship seem as though it were moving away at faster than the speed of light?

trick question, if they're moving away from each other, then the bodies of the ships would block the light emitted from the headlights from reaching the other ship, so it would not observe the light at all.

trick question, if they're moving away from each other, then the bodies of the ships would block the light emitted from the headlights from reaching the other ship, so it would not observe the light at all.

Okay, lights on the top of each ship, then. God, it's picky around here... :pfft:

What is the fastest a human being has ever travelled? I'm sure it was a NASA astronaut or a Soviet cosmonaut. Which one, when, how fast?
The Guinness Book Of World Records states that Apollo 10 holds the record for the fastest a human has ever traveled: 24,791 st mi per hour at 400,000 feet altitude (entry) on 26 May 1969

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4029/Apollo_10a_Summary.htm

Okay, lights on the top of each ship, then. God, it's picky around here... :pfft:

If they are traveling away from each other at the speed of light they will never see or be aware of each other as the light won't ever catch up to them.

in that case, I do believe they'd observe the speed of light itself to be the same, as the speed of light is a constant regardless of your velocity. HOWEVER, I do believe they will observe a Doppler shift resulting in a different color of light.

Poly, Im not sure of the answer to what you are asking, but it made me think of another question.

If you are going a fixed rate of high speed in your space craft and turn the headlights on, is the light eminating from the headlights going faster then the speed of light at that point, being that the origin of the light is traveling at a high rate of speed?

I saw a tv show on the science channel with a Scientist explaining that if you were on a high speed train that was going the speed of light, and you stood up and started running as fast as you could from the back of the train to the front of the train, you would essentially be moving faster then the speed of light because the train you are on is going the speed of light and then you began to run, increasing the speed of your overall movement.

So Im wondering if this would hold true for the light coming from the headlight, especially being that the speed of light is a constant. ( I think it is anyways)

Vector addition for near-c velocities doesn't work. Scientists use a composition law for velocities from special relativity.

2035aab1ba5af2e1ff296512b6a57779.png

Where s is your resultant speed from v the velocity of the train and u the velocity of the walker. At least this is how my astrophysics buddy described it to me.

#NotIntendedToBeAFactualStatement

Vector addition for near-c velocities doesn't work. Scientists use a composition law for velocities from special relativity.

2035aab1ba5af2e1ff296512b6a57779.png

Where s is your resultant speed from v the velocity of the train and u the velocity of the walker. At least this is how my astrophysics buddy described it to me.

#NotIntendedToBeAFactualStatement

Wow. Ok, so its calculated differently because of the speeds? I wont lie and act like I fully understood everything you said, but I do appreciate the response, and Ill probably google what you just said when I get home. Thank you!

Wow. Ok, so its calculated differently because of the speeds? I wont lie and act like I fully understood everything you said, but I do appreciate the response, and Ill probably google what you just said when I get home. Thank you!

If I'm on the right path this equation could be used for normal speeds too. It's just that when v and u are small numbers, the huge denominator of c^2 (from vu/c^2) cancels that term out to 0 essentialy, making it appear as tho the velocities are simply added.

well each of your questions is about how everyone observes the speed of light. The answer to each, assuming my first post was correct, is 186,282.397 miles per second

I think your first post was correct.... The speed of light is constant regardless of your reference frame. Light does not follow the postulate of relativity but rather the theory of relativity.

Galileo's postulate of relatively said that if a boat/car is traveling at 50 miles per hour, and the car/boat has flies in ti.. they would be flying around inside that boat car without any influence of the net speed of the car/boat. IE they wouldn't all be in the back of the care pinned against the rear window... they would be flying around dispersed just as if the car was at stop....

Einstein's theory of relatively says the speed of light is entirely different. The speed of Light is constant and all his predictions about time slowing as one approaches the speed of light and reversing for those traveling faster than the speed of light are based upon that one observation....

Einstein theorized if he had a photon clock which each second pushed out a photon from an emitter, such that that photon was capture and recorded by a receiver located 1 seconds distance away given the speed of light. Einstein theorized if you accelerated this clock to near the speed of light the distance the light photon would have to travel logically would be longer... as it would not have to travel the hypotenuse of the right triangle where one side was the stationary distance between emitter and receiver and the other side was the distance the clock traveled relative to the fraction of the speed of light you accelerated it too.

Since speed of light is constant... and hypotheses are obviously longer than either side of the right triangle, The photon clock would naturally record time at a slower rate as one approached the speed of light...

---------- Post added April-13th-2011 at 08:15 PM ----------

The answer to your q is no. The speed of light my not travel faster than 182, 282,397 mps

Yep Einstein's theory of relativity says nothing which exists at speeds lower than the speed of light can be accelerated beyond the speed of light.... Likewise nothing that travels faster than the speed of light can be decelerated bellow the speed of light.

Now we get into tachyons, which are hypothetical/theoretical particles which travel faster than the speed of light also associated with time travel and sending messages backwards in time.. theoretically speaking.

Light is an entirely different than a spaceship. The spaceship would not impart any extra velocity to a light it produces. The speed of light is the speed of light. Just like if you had a bullhorn yelling from a supersonic jet fighter, your words, starting in the same location as the jet, would not just automatically be travelling Mach 2. People on the ground would not hear it any sooner than they hear the jet, because the speed does not impart any extra velocity to the sound either.

If I'm on the right path this equation could be used for normal speeds too. It's just that when v and u are small numbers, the huge denominator of c^2 (from vu/c^2) cancels that term out to 0 essentialy, making it appear as tho the velocities are simply added.

You are on the right track - in physics this concept is known as the Correspondence Principle - the idea that the laws should reduce their classical counterparts when dealing with "normal" scales, so the relativisitc effects become immeasurable. This also applies to quantum mechanics, when you scale it "up" it reduces to classical mechanics (e.g., calculate the de Broglie wavelength of a baseball). This is why say, a mechanical engineer doesn't have to worry about quantum electrodynamics when dealing with the design of a car engine.

Light travels at: 186,282.397 miles per second in a vacuum.

You are moving at .999999 times the velocity of light. The space ship traveling behind you turns on it's headlights.

1) At what speed do you measure the light coming from the other spaceships headlight?

2) What is the speed of that light as measured by the other spaceship's pilot?

3) How fast is the light as measured by a "stationary" space station?

The light travels at the same speed as observed by all three observers.

However, the distance between the two spaceships would be perceived differently from the "stationary" observation point.

Say that the spaceships are one light year apart, so that the light takes one year to travel in between the two from their perspective. (The spaceship in the back turns on the lights, and a year later the spaceship in the front sees the lights on.) The perceived distance between the two spaceships would be just under 10 trillion kilometers.

However, from the "stationary" observation point, the light from the rear ship would take much LONGER than a year to hit the front ship. Why? Because by the time the light from the rear ship gets to where the front ship was, the front ship has moved on - in fact, it has moved almost as far as the light already travelled. So the light has to keep going and will take a LONG time to hit the ship in front. Given that light travels at a constant speed, the distance between the two ships will be observed from the stationary point as MUCH farther than 10 trillion kilometers (one light year); it would be lots of light years.

So, from either of the spaceships, the other spaceship looks one light year away. From the "stationary" point, the spaceships appear much farther apart.

If you are going a fixed rate of high speed in your space craft and turn the headlights on, is the light eminating from the headlights going faster then the speed of light at that point, being that the origin of the light is traveling at a high rate of speed?

Nope. From every observation point, the light will be travelling at "the speed of light." It's just time and distance that will be "warped" to compensate.

I saw a tv show on the science channel with a Scientist explaining that if you were on a high speed train that was going the speed of light, and you stood up and started running as fast as you could from the back of the train to the front of the train, you would essentially be moving faster then the speed of light because the train you are on is going the speed of light and then you began to run, increasing the speed of your overall movement.

What is the train going at the speed of light relative to? You have to pick an observation point.

If you were at a point and perceived a train going at the speed of light, the "additional" speed of the runner would be zero. The runner would appear stationary compared with the train. On the train, the runner would be going at a "normal" speed.

If two ships are traveling in opposite directions and both turn their [toplights] on, would the light from the opposite ship seem as though it were moving away at faster than the speed of light?

No. The easiest way to imagine this is to assume that the light from each ship is blinking, say at 1 blink per second as perceived from that ship. Because the ships are moving away from each other, each time a blink occurs, the light has to travel a farther distance. Therefore, if I'm on Ship A, I'll note that Ship B's light is blinking SLOWER (longer between blinks) than my ship. Here's the paradox: if I'm on Ship B instead, I'll note THE SAME THING.

Why is this bizarre? Because intuition says that if A blinks faster than B, then B blinks slower than A. But in this case, A thinks B is slower, and B thinks A is slower. And they're both right!

---------- Post added April-14th-2011 at 12:34 PM ----------

Light is an entirely different than a spaceship. The spaceship would not impart any extra velocity to a light it produces. The speed of light is the speed of light. Just like if you had a bullhorn yelling from a supersonic jet fighter, your words, starting in the same location as the jet, would not just automatically be travelling Mach 2. People on the ground would not hear it any sooner than they hear the jet, because the speed does not impart any extra velocity to the sound either.

Actually, that's not exactly right. Sound requires mass to propagate; light doesn't. So you can (to a degree) "add" the speed of sound to an existing velocity.

Archived