Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about the speed of light....

polywog999

hubblem104.jpg

Light travels at: 186,282.397 miles per second in a vacuum.

You are moving at .999999 times the velocity of light. The space ship traveling behind you turns on it's headlights.

1) At what speed do you measure the light coming from the other spaceships headlight?

2) What is the speed of that light as measured by the other spaceship's pilot?

3) How fast is the light as measured by a "stationary" space station?

Light travels at the same speed in any inertial(non-accelerating) frame of reference. This is one of the two axioms of special relativity (the other being that the laws of physics are the same in any inertial frame). That fact, and its implications (time dilation) has been consistent with all our observations thus far.

Assuming the spaceships aren't accelerating, they will all measure the same speed, c = 3.0 x 10^8 m/s =~ 186,000 miles per second.

Poly, Im not sure of the answer to what you are asking, but it made me think of another question.

If you are going a fixed rate of high speed in your space craft and turn the headlights on, is the light eminating from the headlights going faster then the speed of light at that point, being that the origin of the light is traveling at a high rate of speed?

I saw a tv show on the science channel with a Scientist explaining that if you were on a high speed train that was going the speed of light, and you stood up and started running as fast as you could from the back of the train to the front of the train, you would essentially be moving faster then the speed of light because the train you are on is going the speed of light and then you began to run, increasing the speed of your overall movement.

So Im wondering if this would hold true for the light coming from the headlight, especially being that the speed of light is a constant. ( I think it is anyways)

I saw a tv show on the science channel with a Scientist explaining that if you were on a high speed train that was going the speed of light, and you stood up and started running as fast as you could from the back of the train to the front of the train, you would essentially be moving faster then the speed of light because the train you are on is going the speed of light and then you began to run, increasing the speed of your overall movement.

And if you were on speed-of-light Metro, you know that train operator would see you running and tap the brakes. :ols:

Poly, Im not sure of the answer to what you are asking, but it made me think of another question.

If you are going a fixed rate of high speed in your space craft and turn the headlights on, is the light eminating from the headlights going faster then the speed of light at that point, being that the origin of the light is traveling at a high rate of speed?

So Im wondering if this would hold true for the light coming from the headlight, especially being that the speed of light is a constant. ( I think it is anyways)

The answer to your q is no. The speed of light my not travel faster than 182, 282,397 mps

It's all relative and depends on the each observers relative rest frame. There is no "right" answer for everyone, it all depends where you are relative to what you are viewing/measuring.

Archived