Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who has been the greatest frontman ever?

Spiritinthesky

Freddie mercury is ridiculously over rated. It truly is amazing. Their greatest hits cd has about 3 good songs.

Queen released about 90percent pure unfiltered dog****, yet everyone remembers them as some sort of Rock Gods. Just wasn't so.

Well that certainly is a well thought out opinion. I mean people like Elton John, Axl Rose, and James Hetfield among countless others cite Queen as an influence but internet guy says they release dog****.

I suggest you watch a live show of theirs sometime. Within minutes they can swing from operatic balleds to gut punching rockers that rival the heaviest bands of their time. And Freddie Mercury has thousands of people in the palm of his hand the entire time.

Well that certainly is a well thought out opinion. I mean people like Elton John, Axl Rose, and James Hetfield among countless others cite Queen as an influence but internet guy says they release dog****.

I suggest you watch a live show of theirs sometime. Within minutes they can swing from operatic balleds to gut punching rockers that rival the heaviest bands of their time. And Freddie Mercury has thousands of people in the palm of his hand the entire time.

Yes, this is who is the greatest front man, not which band had the most "greatest hits." And Queen was much bigger overseas than they were in the US. We had an exchange student from Brazil live with us in the early '80s and he was a Queen fanatic. I didn't get it as they have a few good songs, but the fact remains that as a front man, Freddie Mercury was one of the best and was a great showman.

This is entirely subjective so it can't be resolved...which is also why it's fun to debate. He's not my favorite but I don't think anyone's mentioned James Brown yet, he's certainly in the conversation. He was never boring and he's also incredibly ground breaking (and the OP didn't limit to conversation to only Rock and Roll)

Brown was certainly a showman but I always thought his act was a little clownish, though I love the music. If you're looking at that genre then Sam Cooke (he didn't have antics that put him in the news) blows him away as did Nat King Cole. Or is the definition of a front man someone who makes a show rather than just sing really well?

Brown was certainly a showman but I always thought his act was a little clownish, though I love the music. If you're looking at that genre then Sam Cooke (he didn't have antics that put him in the news) blows him away as did Nat King Cole. Or is the definition of a front man someone who makes a show rather than just sing really well?

All good frontmen are more than a little "clownish", though lol :yes:...and yeah, a good frontman is not just someone who sings well. If that were the case, then you could just listen to their recordings. Good frontmen make the concert 100 times better with not only their singing, but their theatrics, their command of the stage, how they involve the audience, etc, etc.

For the record, I don't consider James Brown a true "frontman" because I always considered him a solo act with a backing band. Usually, the frontman is the lead OF a band.

All good frontmen are more than a little "clownish", though lol :yes:...and yeah, a good frontman is not just someone who sings well. If that were the case, then you could just listen to their recordings. Good frontmen make the concert 100 times better with not only their singing, but their theatrics, their command of the stage, how they involve the audience, etc, etc.

For the record, I don't consider James Brown a true "frontman" because I always considered him a solo act with a backing band. Usually, the frontman is the lead OF a band.

Well put.

Maurice White. If you don't know who he is, you are in the wrong thread......

See, to me, White and George Clinton blended in with the rest of the band (purposefully) to truly stand out as a candidate for greatest frontman status...their shows were about the entire band equally. Fantastic ****ing shows, mind you lol...but White and Clinton fall juuuuust under the top frontmen list. I actually think soul and funk bands were more about the bands themselves than about having one specific face represent the band onstage.

See, to me, White and George Clinton blended in with the rest of the band (purposefully) to truly stand out as a candidate for greatest frontman status...their shows were about the entire band equally. Fantastic ****ing shows, mind you lol...but White and Clinton fall juuuuust under the top frontmen list. I actually think soul and funk bands were more about the bands themselves than about having one specific face represent the band onstage.

I hear you, but don't you think that if the band was so good it would overpower the front man? Yet White and George Clinton were not only able to stnad out, but stand out just enough that the band still get its shine. You see where I am coming from? :ols:

I should have also mentioned Archie. Had one of the biggest hits of all time, sold a zillion records, always with hot babes all over him, and had still had the "All-American boy next door" thing poppin', and unlike Jagger, Tyler, Bowie, The Boss, McCartney etc etc etc never turned into a walking fossil.

What a complete piece of **** that was lol :ols:..."To be honest, if there had been no Elvis, the rest of this list would not exist." Bull****.

Plus, I'd have to wonder what their definition of a "frontman" is if Elvis ranks as #1.

---------- Post added July-24th-2012 at 01:17 PM ----------

You know, he was more a songman/performer then he was an actual songwriter but Elvis has to be tops. He changed everything.

Frontmen don't have to be songwriters...in fact, good frontmen ARE good frontmen in large part because they are good songmen/performers.

I hear you, but don't you think that if the band was so good it would overpower the front man? Yet White and George Clinton were not only able to stnad out, but stand out just enough that the band still get its shine. You see where I am coming from? :ols:

Well, that could be a good point lol...Clinton definitely stood out, at least when he "entered" the stage :ols:...but after that it was like a party up on stage.

I still think Morrissey should be in the conversation, but most people might not 'get him' or understand the cultural impact of The Smiths (or his solo career).

He's playing here in November, and short of a Smiths reunion, this might be my last best chance to hear some of the finest lyrics ever penned, performed live. Can't wait.

Archived