Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JS Online: No degree, little experience pay off big (Gov. Scott Walker Wisconsin)

Destino

Actually, it's not that simple. When we elect a Governor of a state, we understand that the person is going to need to put his people in key spots to implement the new Governor's agenda.

It is that simple. If you are hiring to fill senior management positions you treat it like any other vacancy and hire based on some measure of competence. The legislature shouldn't get to vote on hires either but the recruitment process should at least provide some checks and balances on the Governor's preferences, and ensure that the appointee has the basic skills and experience required of the position.

I understand cronyism and the need to reward donors, but geez... shouldn't they have some experience of some sort in the job their being appointed to? This reminds one of the Ron Brown hiring. And yes, this is par for the course in politics, but it is ALWAYS icky.

(It's even worse when he makes it a point to pick on teachers and other public employees for making too much and draining the public coffers.)

I guess that is true.

Nevertheless, while I think Scott Walker is horrible in many, many ways, I still think that you don't prove it by showing that he made a single lame political appointment. All politicians do that from time to time. Now when you do it so much that it becomes the norm (George W. Bush's Liberty University Justice Department springs to mind) then it becomes a real problem.

But this one case by Scott Walker doesn't show me much.

This is not the only case there have been others along the way including one person who was drawing three government cheques

It is that simple. If you are hiring to fill senior management positions you treat it like any other vacancy and hire based on some measure of competence. The legislature shouldn't get to vote on hires either but the recruitment process should at least provide some checks and balances on the Governor's preferences, and ensure that the appointee has the basic skills and experience required of the position.
I understand cronyism and the need to reward donors, but geez... shouldn't they have some experience of some sort in the job their being appointed to? This reminds one of the Ron Brown hiring. And yes, this is par for the course in politics, but it is ALWAYS icky.

(It's even worse when he makes it a point to pick on teachers and other public employees for making too much and draining the public coffers.)

Of course they SHOULD have credentials. Governors shouldn't appoint hacks - that goes without saying.

I was just explaining WHY Governors get to appoint who they want to appoint, and why "checks and balances" are not an entirely good thing in this area. Imagine if a liberal (or conservative) legislature got to vet the appointees of a conservative (or liberal) governor. They would screw with him something fierce in order to block his agenda. It might be his second term before he got anyone actually seated in an office doing any work.

What checks and balances do you guys suggest that wouldn't themselves become completely politicized?

What checks and balances do you guys suggest that wouldn't themselves become completely politicized?

I dunno. The requirements for the position are published, and then some effort is made to evaluate candidates against the requirements by career HR staff. Why can't political appointees be made with a modicum of professionalism and process?

I dunno. The requirements for the position are published, and then some effort is made to evaluate candidates against the requirements by career HR staff. Why can't political appointees be made with a modicum of professionalism and process?

No, that's the civil service. The handful of political appointees at the top are there precisely to implement a political agenda. They are not there to be the best career man for the job. They are there to do what the governor wants them to do, the way he wants them to do it, as soon as he gets into office. You can't wait months to have someone implementing the governor's agenda. At least they get booted out when he gets booted out. He should pick good people, but in many ways, its more important that he pick HIS people, the people that will do what the voters presumably elected the governor to do.

(I can't believe I am defending Scott Walker's cronyism here. :ols: )

No, that's the civil service. The handful of political appointees at the top are there precisely to implement a political agenda. They are not there to be the best career man for the job. They are there to do what the governor wants them to do, the way he wants them to do it, as soon as he gets into office.

And in many large corporations the senior executives serve at the pleasure of the CEO or President.

When I saw the thread title with "little experience pay off big" I couldn't help but think of Obama, but then I realized that he actually had "No" experience and it paid off big for him.

You, sir, are the model of consistency. :)

No, that's the civil service. The handful of political appointees at the top are there precisely to implement a political agenda. They are not there to be the best career man for the job. They are there to do what the governor wants them to do, the way he wants them to do it, as soon as he gets into office. You can't wait months to have someone implementing the governor's agenda. At least they get booted out when he gets booted out. He should pick good people, but in many ways, its more important that he pick HIS people, the people that will do what the voters presumably elected the governor to do.

(I can't believe I am defending Scott Walker's cronyism here. :ols: )

Here is the problem with that Walker has already shown incompetance as he has worked in the government what he needs is people to tell him what works and what does not work to get best service to people not cronies.

When I saw the thread title with "little experience pay off big" I couldn't help but think of Obama, but then I realized that he actually had "No" experience and it paid off big for him.

Well, the main difference is that Obama earned his way in by getting the votes, and this clown earned his way in because his daddy contributed money.

But it is very likely that they both have ten fingers and ten toes, so there are some similarities.

~Bang

I would say that President Obama has been grooming for this for quite a while based on books and friends.

He then had his 15 minutes at the dem convention that sparked and interest based on his charisma.

The President before him got the job because his dad had it and he owned a sports team and his opposition lost his home state?

That would be a closer comparison really.

I would say that President Obama has been grooming for this for quite a while based on books and friends.

He then had his 15 minutes at the dem convention that sparked and interest based on his charisma.

The President before him got the job because his dad had it and he owned a sports team and his opposition lost his home state?

That would be a closer comparison really.

Both of these examples won an election. That is not cronyism.

Archived