Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JMU vs VA Tech (College Decision)

JasonCampbell177

Don't forget Grilled Cheese Thursdays! Yay JMU! Really, either one is a fine school.

Ah yes Cheesy Thursdays at DHall. Your right though either is a good school and while I don't like Tech as I have UVA alumni in the family, its a good school and either would be nice. It's just now finding that fit for you for the next 4+ years. And yes I do mean 4+ haha

Dang that's cold now :ols: I actually did get denied to UVA as well which was maybe one of the most disappointing days in a long time for me. Although I love JMU now and wouldn't trade it for anything

I sometimes like to throw a sucker punch from the ninth row for no apparent reason.

Here is a way to make your decision: At which school are you less likely to get raped by meth-addicted hillbiliies?

I don't think so. Last time I checked JMU was the one beating VT at Lane Stadium this past fall. I wouldn't go around making false statements that VT DESTROYS JMU on the sports scene.

Both schools are great schools, but I thought JMU was known as the better party school and has a much higher ratio of girls to guys than VT.

VT destroys JMU on the sports scene, of that there is no debate. JMU won a football game. Go to a game at Lane, and then go to a game at JMU. Go to a game at Cassell, then go to a game at JMU.

Not. Even. Close.

Go to a game at Lane, and then go to a game at JMU.

Go to a game at Lane, then go to a game at Penn State. You lose.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, neither place is bad. I didn't go to either school, I went to Longwood, but I had many friends at Tech and dated a girl at JMU for several months, so I visited both schools numerous times. I think aesthetically, JMU is a nicer place to look at; the buildings and so forth. Tech buildings had kind of a prison feel to me, at least some of the dorms my friends were in. I found the rooms at JMU to be much nicer. The food was much better at JMU as well, though keep in mind this was 10-12 years ago.

I always thought Tech was the more accomplished academic school, but I may be looking at it strictly from an engineering standpoint; I don't know how it compares to JMU for business, the arts, etc. One other advantage Tech has is that is doesn't smell. That pet food factory in Harrisonburg...God that was offensive when I was there, it takes awhile to get used to the smell.

I didn't find the whole Greek thing to be overwhelming at either place, but again, I went to Longwood, where four national sororities have been founded, so it was everywhere there, you couldn't escape it. I doubt you'll be disappointed in either location.

I loved my time at JMU....but......

I graduated in 1995. I have been out of school for 16 years (holy crap). I have seen my beloved football team/ basketball team a handful of times on TV since.

My only regret about JMU has been as an alumni. Now that being said it is exciting that the school is finally putting the resources behind the football program.

Hopefully 20 years from now this will not be an issue. Outside of that I loved every single aspect of life at JMU and how it has prepped me for adult life.

I sometimes like to throw a sucker punch from the ninth row for no apparent reason.

Here is a way to make your decision: At which school are you less likely to get raped by meth-addicted hillbiliies?

Well at UVA, getting raped by a fellow student member of the lacrosse team is a real possibility.

At William and Mary, rather than the JMU/VT keg party, or the UVA wine bar, students enjoy a cup of tea or coffee, a foreign-language movie or poetry reading with an edgy pair of reading glasses.

Well at UVA, getting raped by a fellow student member of the lacrosse team is a real possibility.

Good point. The Princeton Review should make "Likelihood of Lacrosse-based Rape" a category. Parents need to know these things.

At William and Mary, rather than the JMU/VT key party, or the UVA wine bar, students enjoy a cup of tea or coffee, a foreign-language movie or poetry reading with an edgy pair of reading glasses

At Washington & Lee, they re-enact Appomattox - only this time the good guys win.

Fact: If Metallica never exisited' date=' Virginia Tech's attendance would be 40 percent lower.

Oh...if only that bus crash had been more effective......[/quote']

I probably shouldn't laugh at that, but I couldn't help it.

I've said this before, but VT using "Enter Sandman" as the big entrance has to be one of the cheapest gimmicks in college sports. I have a hard time believing that Vince McMahon didn't somehow suggest that.

Besides' date=' the only schools I've ever visited where I've noticed anything dramatically different about the "quality" of the women is Ole Miss and Alabama - and that's really just because those two schools seem to require their co-eds to behave like bridesmaids on the day of tailgates.

Smoky eyes and chiffon for a 9:30 AM pig roast? Sure, why not.[/quote']

This is basically true of all of the major universities in the South.

Except for the women at Mississippi State. From what I understand, Tri Delt at Mississippi State could fill in for the football team if need be.

What influenced my decision? Michael Vick was probably the deciding factor, but personally I loved the super small town feel of Blacksburg, the campus not divided by a highway, the study abroad opportunities I had, and the overall uniqueness to the place. Sure it would have been much nicer to have had a ratio like JMU, but I made some very good friends, got some very contacts, ended up going to a very good grad school and now have a very good career. And a semester in Switzerland was priceless.

Michael Vick was the ultimate factor in you attending VT?

I've always been puzzled by the "Go to ______ University for the women" argument.

A. All colleges have oversexed 20-year-old women who drink too much.

B. It's not like you are going to sleep with the really hot ones anyway unless you play point guard.

Besides' date=' the only schools I've ever visited where I've noticed anything dramatically different about the "quality" of the women is Ole Miss and Alabama - and that's really just because those two schools seem to require their co-eds to behave like bridesmaids on the day of tailgates.

Smoky eyes and chiffon for a 9:30 AM pig roast? Sure, why not.

(I would tend to avoid Catholic universities in cold weather locations though. I went to law school at a Catholic university. Atteneded the opening ceremony before it dawned on me that "Holly ****! These people actually believe this stuff!!!"

After four years of being taught by godless multi-culturalists, it was somewhat shocking.

The big problem at those schools is the bulky sweaters and lack of birth control).[/quote']

I agree. Every big school has hot chicks. Boston is great. Between Northeastern, Boston University, Boston College, Harvard, Simmons, Emmanuel, Tufts, Suffolk and Emerson...you're bound to find someone.

Michael Vick was the ultimate factor in you attending VT?

Honestly, yea.

I was pretty even with JMU and VT. Both were offering the same money. JMU a bit closer, VT a bit farther away. I liked the campus better at VT and really enjoyed my visits there. JMU was a chance to be a closer drive to home and I had enjoyed my vists there.

What decided? Well being a big football fan, and seeing that my freshmen year was 2000, the year after Virginia Tech played FSU in the national title game, well that was clearly fresh in my head and I wanted to be at a school with a big time football program. That was VT in 1999-2000 and with Michael Vick coming back it certainly made a difference.

So yea, in the end it was Michael Vick that made the difference. And I clearly wasn't the only one who after 2000 considered VT because of the national title run. The difference in applicants, admission standards, GPA, SAT, etc is significant pre and post 1999

---------- Post added March-21st-2011 at 05:47 PM ----------

SHF is a weird dude. How many 30-year-old Muslims do you know with Ovechkin posters in their bedroom?

:ols:

Last I checked both schools were "competitive" but VT is definitely a better science school. I did biology at JMU, for the most part didn't have bad teachers at all. The one bad calculus professor I had retired so you don't have to worry bout him lol. I've never visited tech or even been to it so I cannot comment on its pros or cons. I will say, the 4 years I spent at JMU were the best of my life so far, easily. The social scene and just the atmosphere there is absolutely awesome. Greek life doesn't dominate the JMU party scene but there is some of that if thats your cup of tea. H-burg is expanding so you will see some nice growth down there if you choose it. The one thing about the girls at JMU, I'm pretty sure like a third of them have boyfriends so the numbers there may be misleading. Now...that doesn't mean all of them are...well, loyal. The business school at JMU is very competitive and will give you good tools for the future. Many of my friends did it and got jobs relatively easily. G'luck in your decision.

Thanks I really appreciate the feedback here guys, and obviously i wouldn't base on my decision on simply what other people say (no offense) I just wanted to see everyone's different experiences from going to the schools.

And for Lombardi I did apply to UVA and I find out April 1st, but I mainly applied there just to see if I could get in and even if I did get in I don't think I would attend, the atmosphere isn't really for me

Last I checked both schools were "competitive" but VT is definitely a better science school. I did biology at JMU, for the most part didn't have bad teachers at all. The one bad calculus professor I had retired so you don't have to worry bout him lol. I've never visited tech or even been to it so I cannot comment on its pros or cons. I will say, the 4 years I spent at JMU were the best of my life so far, easily. The social scene and just the atmosphere there is absolutely awesome. Greek life doesn't dominate the JMU party scene but there is some of that if thats your cup of tea. H-burg is expanding so you will see some nice growth down there if you choose it. The one thing about the girls at JMU, I'm pretty sure like a third of them have boyfriends so the numbers there may be misleading. Now...that doesn't mean all of them are...well, loyal. The business school at JMU is very competitive and will give you good tools for the future. Many of my friends did it and got jobs relatively easily. G'luck in your decision.

Agreed on the business school part, I'm a Computer Information Systems major in the Business School and its been very tough but also I know it's going to prepare me the best I can be coming out of college.

Ok I'll give my thoughts. My best friend went to JMU and I visited countless times (since its basically halfway between my hometown and Blacksburg) so I have a decent feel for it.

I'll warn you, I'm obsessed with Virginia Tech and everything Blacksburg. Its just been perfect for me, and obviously no college is ideal for everyone but I just love it here.

And to all the JMU people, please understand that I hold no grudges against your school, but its definitely not my scene.

Yes, JMU has a greater percentage of girls...which they like to keep bringing up. Whoever said we only have nerdy girls is totally off base. We definitely have our share of them but I've gotten plenty of whiplash in Blacksburg, trust me.

Someone said JMU's campus was more aesthetically pleasing...and I couldn't disagree more. I don’t really like the JMU campus, especially with 81 running through it. The quads are nice and some of the buildings are certainly beautiful but I think Tech has one of the best campuses I've ever been on. I love the look of stone, the scenery around Tech is gorgeous and its only getting better. Hell, even our parking garage is nice! Some people like brick, but I’m all about the stone look. Gets a bit dreary in the rain at times though. The dorms are all improving. They're renovating quite a bit now and some of it should be done when you get here. I lived in some of the nicest dorms (PY and then New Res East) but the regular dorms like Slusher Wing and Lee are pretty small and not that nice. Pritchard, which used to be the largest all male dorm in the country (or something like that) is now co-ed and they've spruced it up for the ladies. I'd suggest staying on for a year and moving off, being on-campus has some perks but I love being in an apartment. The bus system is pretty reliable, they're always on time and while it gets somewhat crowded in the mornings, on the big class changes and on the weekend nights its almost always on time.

You aren't close to 21 yet but I'm not a big fan of downtown Harrisonburg. The 'bar' scene is essentially non-existent and Jack Brown's (a local burger joint with the best burgers in the world) and a few other food places (Clementine’s, The Little Grille(?) and some others) are all that I’ve found that are worth mentioning. The rest of Harrisonburg is pretty redneck/trashy and the people I know who went to JMU hated the town...loved the school but hated the area.

There's technically enough bars in Blacksburg to "Bar Golf" (18 bars...its a bad, and yet fantastic way to spend a Saturday) but there's really not that many. They tend to get somewhat crowded and each has its own 'feel' (Tots = Greek, Underground = Hipster etc) and I do get irritated by how many people are packed into the bars at times but I've sure as hell enjoyed downtown.

The social scene...I don't know what to say. Everyone I meet who goes to JMU raves about how great the parties are and how hot all the girls are (which is relatively true) but I haven't really enjoyed the parties that I've been to. I guess I just didn't go to the right paries, but I haven't enjoyed the classic college type parties I've been to at JMU. I was there for the riots, which is a ridiculous story but that’s for another time. From what I understand, the bars aren't much to write home about, though I've never really been downtown there. I'm not going to bash JMU too hard because unless JMU is spiking their campus food with mind control drugs I have to assume there's parties I'm missing from the way people talk about them. I've found the guys there to be kinda douchey, which I think stems from the fact that there's so many more girls than guys that you don't really have to try :ols: No question the girls are hot. I've enjoyed my visits.

I will give them credit, you don't pay for parties...but you sort of have to know someone. At Tech, its usually pretty acceptable to walk into a random (big) party and as long as you drop a few bucks for a cup you'll be fine. Tech apartment parties are probably just what'd you'd expect from a normal college kegger. I lived in a big apartment with 4 other people so I was usually throwing the parties so I'm influenced by that because I didn't have to wander around finding random parties after about halfway through sophomore year. If you're interested in going Greek, think again. UVA is a big frat school and Tech is definitely not. The social life here doesn't revolve around them no matter what they think.

As for sports, barring the weird upset last year you can't really compare the two. Tech has an SEC feel on Saturdays in the fall. Everything shuts down, there's tens of thousands of alumni in town drinking and grilling and having a fantastic time. Nothing beats college football in the south, people couldn't be friendlier. They'll hand you drinks and food if you even look twice at their set up. Haven't been to JMU for a game of any type but I've hosted plenty of JMU students for Tech games and they agree.

Dan T mentioned the food, and its phenomenal here in Blacksburg. The food is amazing, all around campus and they're building another dining hall that should be open soon. At West End you can get a great steak, lobster and fresh fish...I even like the salad bar. I ate once on campus at JMU, and I don't remember anything about it.

I can't really compare academics. I sure as hell haven't been to class at JMU so you'll have to look at the rankings (which mostly suck) and talk to your counselor. I don't think you could go wrong with either school for business. SHF is the man to talk to, and he's already posted.

I love it here, its small and its somewhat southern and there's certainly some drawbacks. Parking sucks, there's times where dining halls are crowded and some of your intro classes will be in big lecture halls. The weather generally gets on your nerves until you get used to it because its pretty rainy and cold for a good portion of the year...but in the beginning and ending of the school year its awesome. Some people think there isn't a lot to do, because there's limited bars and you're not in a big city but I've never really been bored. There's a good social scene, hiking, a great river, a movie theater in town, good local music and a billion things happening on campus 24/7. You have an interest? There's a club for it, from the normal stuff to the super weird LARP kids on the Drillfield.

So, yeah, I ****ing love this place. My first choice was UVA (**** off LKB :ols: ) but I am exceptionally glad I didn't go there. I've enjoyed my visits to Charlottesville but I like it much better here.

So, please don't hate me all of you Duke Dog fanatics. I visited JMU frequently and I do like going up there. Its just not "me" if you know what I mean. I don't dislike JMU in any way, but I know that I wouldn't have been happy there. I’m sure there’s going to be some upset JMU students grads who want to tell me how wrong everything I just said was but I’m just giving my two cents. So if you’re about to pound away on your keyboard about what an idiot I am, please don’t :ols:

So, I hope that helps. Feel free to PM me with any questions, I'm graduating in May but I'll be around and you can certainly hit me up when you visit and I'll see what I can do about making sure you have a good time.

Honestly, yea.

So yea, in the end it was Michael Vick that made the difference. And I clearly wasn't the only one who after 2000 considered VT because of the national title run. The difference in applicants, admission standards, GPA, SAT, etc is significant pre and post 1999

---------- Post added March-21st-2011 at 05:47 PM ----------

Yeah tell me about it my sister got in '99 vick's first year. I applied in 2003 with better gpa, sat, and etc. than her. Yeah I didn't get in the school definitely picked up their admission standards in those years. But heck I don't think I could even get into my safety school if I had to apply to schools these days.

Ok I'll give my thoughts. My best friend went to JMU and I visited countless times (since its basically halfway between my hometown and Blacksburg) so I have a decent feel for it.

I'll warn you, I'm obsessed with Virginia Tech and everything Blacksburg. Its just been perfect for me, and obviously no college is ideal for everyone but I just love it here.

And to all the JMU people, please understand that I hold no grudges against your school, but its definitely not my scene.

Yes, JMU has a greater percentage of girls...which they like to keep bringing up. Whoever said we only have nerdy girls is totally off base. We definitely have our share of them but I've gotten plenty of whiplash in Blacksburg, trust me.

Someone said JMU's campus was more aesthetically pleasing...and I couldn't disagree more. I don’t really like the JMU campus, especially with 81 running through it. The quads are nice and some of the buildings are certainly beautiful but I think Tech has one of the best campuses I've ever been on. I love the look of stone, the scenery around Tech is gorgeous and its only getting better. Hell, even our parking garage is nice! Some people like brick, but I’m all about the stone look. Gets a bit dreary in the rain at times though. The dorms are all improving. They're renovating quite a bit now and some of it should be done when you get here. I lived in some of the nicest dorms (PY and then New Res East) but the regular dorms like Slusher Wing and Lee are pretty small and not that nice. Pritchard, which used to be the largest all male dorm in the country (or something like that) is now co-ed and they've spruced it up for the ladies. I'd suggest staying on for a year and moving off, being on-campus has some perks but I love being in an apartment. The bus system is pretty reliable, they're always on time and while it gets somewhat crowded in the mornings, on the big class changes and on the weekend nights its almost always on time.

Well I've only seen pics of techs campus, I'm not too hot on the oldstyle buildings and cam kinda happy JMU is modernizing the look of the new buildings. 81 running through isn't really annoying, and with some of the scenery around JMU you barely notice it. The bus system is solid, like 98% of the time they are reliable. There are a lot of new places to live off campus of at JMU now so there will be plenty of good competition.

You aren't close to 21 yet but I'm not a big fan of downtown Harrisonburg. The 'bar' scene is essentially non-existent and Jack Brown's (a local burger joint with the best burgers in the world) and a few other food places (Clementine’s, The Little Grille(?) and some others) are all that I’ve found that are worth mentioning. The rest of Harrisonburg is pretty redneck/trashy and the people I know who went to JMU hated the town...loved the school but hated the area.

There's technically enough bars in Blacksburg to "Bar Golf" (18 bars...its a bad, and yet fantastic way to spend a Saturday) but there's really not that many. They tend to get somewhat crowded and each has its own 'feel' (Tots = Greek, Underground = Hipster etc) and I do get irritated by how many people are packed into the bars at times but I've sure as hell enjoyed downtown.

The social scene...I don't know what to say. Everyone I meet who goes to JMU raves about how great the parties are and how hot all the girls are (which is relatively true) but I haven't really enjoyed the parties that I've been to. I guess I just didn't go to the right paries, but I haven't enjoyed the classic college type parties I've been to at JMU. I was there for the riots, which is a ridiculous story but that’s for another time. From what I understand, the bars aren't much to write home about, though I've never really been downtown there. I'm not going to bash JMU too hard because unless JMU is spiking their campus food with mind control drugs I have to assume there's parties I'm missing from the way people talk about them. I've found the guys there to be kinda douchey, which I think stems from the fact that there's so many more girls than guys that you don't really have to try :ols: No question the girls are hot. I've enjoyed my visits.

Guys are always douchebags to guys from other campuses lol. I think you've missed some of the good parties. The bar scene isn't anything to rave about, you're right. It is growing though. Not sure what it'll be like in a couple years but its coming along thankfully

I will give them credit, you don't pay for parties...but you sort of have to know someone. At Tech, its usually pretty acceptable to walk into a random (big) party and as long as you drop a few bucks for a cup you'll be fine. Tech apartment parties are probably just what'd you'd expect from a normal college kegger. I lived in a big apartment with 4 other people so I was usually throwing the parties so I'm influenced by that because I didn't have to wander around finding random parties after about halfway through sophomore year. If you're interested in going Greek, think again. UVA is a big frat school and Tech is definitely not. The social life here doesn't revolve around them no matter what they think.

As for sports, barring the weird upset last year you can't really compare the two. Tech has an SEC feel on Saturdays in the fall. Everything shuts down, there's tens of thousands of alumni in town drinking and grilling and having a fantastic time. Nothing beats college football in the south, people couldn't be friendlier. They'll hand you drinks and food if you even look twice at their set up. Haven't been to JMU for a game of any type but I've hosted plenty of JMU students for Tech games and they agree.

JMU football has been mediocre lately. When they are decent, the tailgate scene is alright. It is probably much more inclusive to groups than Tech's

Dan T mentioned the food, and its phenomenal here in Blacksburg. The food is amazing, all around campus and they're building another dining hall that should be open soon. At West End you can get a great steak, lobster and fresh fish...I even like the salad bar. I ate once on campus at JMU, and I don't remember anything about it.

Tech is ranked better in food, but JMU is in top ten I think, or had been in recent memory. E-Hall and D-hall were money.

I can't really compare academics. I sure as hell haven't been to class at JMU so you'll have to look at the rankings (which mostly suck) and talk to your counselor. I don't think you could go wrong with either school for business. SHF is the man to talk to, and he's already posted.

I love it here, its small and its somewhat southern and there's certainly some drawbacks. Parking sucks, there's times where dining halls are crowded and some of your intro classes will be in big lecture halls. The weather generally gets on your nerves until you get used to it because its pretty rainy and cold for a good portion of the year...but in the beginning and ending of the school year its awesome. Some people think there isn't a lot to do, because there's limited bars and you're not in a big city but I've never really been bored. There's a good social scene, hiking, a great river, a movie theater in town, good local music and a billion things happening on campus 24/7. You have an interest? There's a club for it, from the normal stuff to the super weird LARP kids on the Drillfield.

So, yeah, I ****ing love this place. My first choice was UVA (**** off LKB :ols: ) but I am exceptionally glad I didn't go there. I've enjoyed my visits to Charlottesville but I like it much better here.

So, please don't hate me all of you Duke Dog fanatics. I visited JMU frequently and I do like going up there. Its just not "me" if you know what I mean. I don't dislike JMU in any way, but I know that I wouldn't have been happy there. I’m sure there’s going to be some upset JMU students grads who want to tell me how wrong everything I just said was but I’m just giving my two cents. So if you’re about to pound away on your keyboard about what an idiot I am, please don’t :ols:

both schools have their perks, they're just catered to a little different crowds. My little bro's backup school is tech and he got in recently so he may be a hokie soon.

So, I hope that helps. Feel free to PM me with any questions, I'm graduating in May but I'll be around and you can certainly hit me up when you visit and I'll see what I can do about making sure you have a good time.

Archived