Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Back in 1999, If Dan Synder had to build a new stadium from scratch would he or would he had move the team?

88Comrade2000

When Dan bought the team in 1999; he also bought the stadium. That stadium was built by the late Jack Kent Cooke with his money for the stadium and I remember the local area putting in money for infrastructure. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

What if when Dan Snyder bought the team, there was no new stadium. The Skins were still playing at RFK.

Would Dan Snyder build a new stadium from scratch with his own money? Would he have forced D.C. or some other local area entity to build him a stadium? If he didn't get that stadium, Snyder would've moved his team to somewhere that would've?

---------- Post added March-19th-2011 at 05:44 AM ----------

My gut tells me that Dan Snyder wouldn't have spent his own money to build a stadium from scratch. Dan Snyder would've tried to get the local community to build him a stadium and it not, he would've moved the team elsewhere to some city that did.

I doubt he'd of moved the team. Love him or hate him, and up until this past season I've been amongst his biggest critics, there's no denying the guy's a fan. He's gone around things ass backwards the majority of his tenure, but I truly believe he loves the Washington Redskins. Of course he's also in it to make money. Any owner that say's he isn't is an out-right liar. But at heart I believe he's a fan.

I'd imagine it would of played out like it did for JKC and the present stadium in so far as being stuck out in MD due to lack of space in DC. Whether Snyder would of pumped in $360 million of his own money like JKC did is a whole other thing again. There'd of been similar wranglings and deals to get the vast majority public and private financing.

Interesting choice of question so long after the effect. Darn CBA.

Hail.

When Dan bought the team in 1999; he also bought the stadium. That stadium was built by the late Jack Kent Cooke with his money for the stadium and I remember the local area putting in money for infrastructure. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

What if when Dan Snyder bought the team, there was no new stadium. The Skins were still playing at RFK.

Would Dan Snyder build a new stadium from scratch with his own money? Would he have forced D.C. or some other local area entity to build him a stadium? If he didn't get that stadium, Snyder would've moved his team to somewhere that would've?

---------- Post added March-19th-2011 at 05:44 AM ----------

My gut tells me that Dan Snyder wouldn't have spent his own money to build a stadium from scratch. Dan Snyder would've tried to get the local community to build him a stadium and it not, he would've moved the team elsewhere to some city that did.

DS didn't have the money to build his own stadium. He barely had enough to buy the skins. Was the most highly leveraged (borrowed money) purchase of an NFL franchise at that time.

DS didn't have the money to build his own stadium. He barely had enough to buy the skins. Was the most highly leveraged (borrowed money) purchase of an NFL franchise at that time.

True, but the asking price would've been less. It was that high because the stadium was included. It probably would've gone for 500 million without the stadium.

That may be true, but if the deal had not included the stadium, as they would have still been using RFK, it would have cost him 300,000,000.00 dollars less than he paid. He would have been able to use that money to finance a new stadium somewhere else in the region. On top of the money he did spend for the stadium, he put in many millions more for the changes he made to it.

I doubt he'd of moved the team. Love him or hate him, and up until this past season I've been amongst his biggest critics, there's no denying the guy's a fan. He's gone around things ass backwards the majority of his tenure, but I truly believe he loves the Washington Redskins. Of course he's also in it to make money. Any owner that say's he isn't is an out-right liar. But at heart I believe he's a fan.

I'd imagine it would of played out like it did for JKC and the present stadium in so far as being stuck out in MD due to lack of space in DC. Whether Snyder would of pumped in $360 million of his own money like JKC did is a whole other thing again. There'd of been similar wranglings and deals to get the vast majority public and private financing.

Interesting choice of question so long after the effect. Darn CBA.

JKC would have stayed at RFK, had they built him a inclosed sky suite. Marion Berry wouldn't do it. He also wanted some improvements to the stadium.

Hail.

Here's my hypothetical: Lets say Snyder had been 34 in late 1980 and was able to acquire the Skins from Cooke. Further, Dan jettisons Bobby Beathard and brings Vinny in (assume Vinny is the same age as he actually was in '99). Who is our head coach in the 1981 season?

a) Jack Pardee

B) Joe Gibbs

c) John Madden

d) Chuck Knox

e) Hank Stram

f) George Allen

well one persistent rumor that's been around for a while is that Snyder wants to build a new stadium in DC to recapture the RFK days and to have a new, modern stadium w/ a retractable roof so a Superbowl can be played there.

I also think he is on record as being against public funding of stadiums . Lets not forget before Dan Snyder we were way way down on the list of big earning franchises . Sure the larger capacity has helped but he is a marketing guru . He made the Skins a money making machine for him and his fellow investors . Something i really doubt JR could have done .....

Here's my hypothetical: Lets say Snyder had been 34 in late 1980 and was able to acquire the Skins from Cooke. Further, Dan jettisons Bobby Beathard and brings Vinny in (assume Vinny is the same age as he actually was in '99). Who is our head coach in the 1981 season?

a) Jack Pardee

B) Joe Gibbs

c) John Madden

d) Chuck Knox

e) Hank Stram

f) George Allen

Doubt it would be Madden since Madden rejected JKC twice that I know of. JKC was pretty much a successful version of Snyder. Of the remaining coaches, Pardee lost a power struggle with Beathard, so if JKC was planning on selling the team, Pardee might not have lost that power struggle.

I'm pretty sure that the only shopping around he would have done would have been within the immediate vicinity of the DC area. That said, I have no idea why you're proposing a hypothetical situation out of the blue in which Snyder is even more unlikeable than he is right now.

I can't imagine Snyder taking the team out of the DC area under any circumstance.

Some people forget a few facts:

1. The plans for the artist now known as FedEx Field were actually originally generated in the late 1980's, early 1990's, when JKC wanted to build his new stadium.

2. JKC originally wanted it in the district, and he was going to fund the creation of the stadium, but wanted the city to chip in for infrastructure improvements. DC government said no.

3. JKC tried for years to find a compromise with the city, and look for other venues. He looked in Arlington, and they said NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard.)

4. Finally, JKC got Prince William County to agree to some deal, and built the stadium. Which was already out of date because the plans hadn't been significantly updated from the time that they had been created. Updated somewhat, yes, significantly so, no.

5. JKC dies before the stadium is complete, and never gets to see the stadium.

6. Dan Snyder buys the 'Skins,and IMMEDIATELY dumps about $20M into the stadium. The two things I remember that he added immediately were the escalators to the upper deck, which were not part of the original design, and replaced metal barriers wit glass barriers for improved viewing.

7. A year or two later, he started adding seats, including the obstructed view seats and the bleacher seats which close off the view from the concourse end-zone view from the two circular bars, which was really the only cool architectural feature of the stadium to begin with.

I actually think that in a private moment, Dan Snyder would hope the whole damn thing would just spontaneously combust so he wouldn't have to deal with it for another 20-30 years.

I'd imagine it would of played out like it did for JKC and the present stadium in so far as being stuck out in MD due to lack of space in DC. Whether Snyder would of pumped in $360 million of his own money like JKC did is a whole other thing again.

Not. a. chance.

I wonder if the Skins wouldn't still be in RFK, with "legend seats" built in the walkways without any view. You know, I wouldn't put it past Snyder to move the team. They'd still be the Redskins, and now they'd *really* be his. RFK probably would have gotten a Jumbotron around last season too.

He's got no PR sense whatsoever. He's just a good mimic.

Honestly, JKC's move was a pretty stand-up thing to do. He wanted the better stadium, so he built it where he could get the best sweetheart deal. Can't really fault him for that.

In '99' date=' Snyder would have had no end of local governments slobbering all over themselves to build him a stadium.

My guess is that the Skins would be playing near Dulles right now. I still see that as a possibility someday.[/quote']

I hope so...we have to move everything out of Maryland in some capacity. RFK site, near Nationals Park, or near Redskin Park!

I hope so...we have to move everything out of Maryland in some capacity. RFK site, near Nationals Park, or near Redskin Park!

I would much rather them keep it at FedEx or finding a new place in Washington DC. I don't want them becoming one of those teams that plays no where near their city. If Dan Snyder really wqants a stadium in DC, then he should pay for it. I doubt the people in Virginia are going to pay for his stadium either. Virginia is the same state that voted "NO" when Disney wanted to move in. I think the Washington Redskins are fine where they are. They just need to make improvements to FedEx Field.

Why not make it a retractable roof?

I would much rather them keep it at FedEx or finding a new place in Washington DC. I don't want them becoming one of those teams that plays no where near their city. If Dan Snyder really wqants a stadium in DC, then he should pay for it. I doubt the people in Virginia are going to pay for his stadium either. Virginia is the same state that voted "NO" when Disney wanted to move in. I think the Washington Redskins are fine where they are. They just need to make improvements to FedEx Field.

Why not make it a retractable roof?

Well, my top two choices (mentioned in my thread) were in DC. That's certainly my preference. Despite living 5 minutes from Redskin Park, I'd actually prefer that they practice in DC too. But, if they aren't going to be in DC, I'd prefer that they be in Virginia over Maryland.

Well, my top two choices (mentioned in my thread) were in DC. That's certainly my preference. Despite living 5 minutes from Redskin Park, I'd actually prefer that they practice in DC too. But, if they aren't going to be in DC, I'd prefer that they be in Virginia over Maryland.

If you ask me, I think their current location is better. Reason why is because it's Metro accessible. I believe the closests station to the stadium is Largo Town Center/Blue Line. And from there you can take a bus. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think the training camp should be in some where in Prince Georgous or Montgomery County. If you ask me, University of Maryland would be the perfect place and that's in PG County. Problem is, the Redskins are looking for more indoor facilities.

Although, when I think of it, The Ravens have no problem using McDaniel College in Westminister. They use an open field, just like the Redskins do. I don't hear them jumping up and down for more indoor facilities. As far as the new stadium goes, I don't feel it's needed right now. The team can barely put on a good show for the loyal fans that fill FedEx. Does Snyder think a new stadium will make loosing a lot more enjoyable for fans to watch?

If you ask me, I think their current location is better. Reason why is because it's Metro accessible. I believe the closests station to the stadium is Largo Town Center/Blue Line. And from there you can take a bus. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think the training camp should be in some where in Prince Georgous or Montgomery County. If you ask me, University of Maryland would be the perfect place and that's in PG County. Problem is, the Redskins are looking for more indoor facilities.

Although, when I think of it, The Ravens have no problem using McDaniel College in Westminister. They use an open field, just like the Redskins do. I don't hear them jumping up and down for more indoor facilities. As far as the new stadium goes, I don't feel it's needed right now. The team can barely put on a good show for the loyal fans that fill FedEx. Does Snyder think a new stadium will make loosing a lot more enjoyable for fans to watch?

I'll take your word for it...there's no Metro access to either RFK or Nats Stadium? I find that hard to believe, but I'm not a Metro expert. I'm almost positive I took it to RFK with my dad as a kid though...

I don't really care where they hold training camp, but that's not really the main point of a practice facility like Redskin Park (which would be used all year except for the 2-3 week training camp).

Again, I don't see any reason not to eventually move the team into DC again. Maybe now isn't the time, but they shouldn't build another stadium for the Redskins outside of DC. If they have to, they should look in VA.

I'll take your word for it...there's no Metro access to either RFK or Nats Stadium? I find that hard to believe, but I'm not a Metro expert. I'm almost positive I took it to RFK with my dad as a kid though...

I don't really care where they hold training camp, but that's not really the main point of a practice facility like Redskin Park (which would be used all year except for the 2-3 week training camp).

Again, I don't see any reason not to eventually move the team into DC again. Maybe now isn't the time, but they shouldn't build another stadium for the Redskins outside of DC. If they have to, they should look in VA.

I didn't say there wasn't access to Nats or RFK. For RFK that's Stadium Armory/Blue Line. For Nat's I believe you take the Green Line, but I don't know the station name. As for the stadium, their current location is fine. One could question that crime in Landover, Maryland is a concern, but I don't hear many people complaining about it. This new stadium idea is all Dan Snyder's dream. If you ask me, he just wants to pocket more money for himself. He wants to host the World Cup, Super Bowl and possibly the Olympics in his state of the art stadium. Of course the Redskins would still be on the to do list for improvements, but that's probably beyond his concern.

Archived