Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The more I think about it the more I believe the Redskins will take...

Titaw

It doesn't matter where they go. This team has so many needs. Take the Best player available. I would like to see a LG,LT, or RG. Take a senior starting QB later in the draft. Christian Ponder sounds nice to me. Get Matt Hasselback to groom him.

You aren't seeing a LG or RG go in the top ten. And we have a LT.

It doesn't matter where they go. This team has so many needs. Take the Best player available. I would like to see a LG,LT, or RG. Take a senior starting QB later in the draft. Christian Ponder sounds nice to me. Get Matt Hasselback to groom him.

There is not an O'Line worth a top 10 pick this year IMO and certainly not a guard. I'd like to see us get a guard or centre in the second round though where there a few guys would be good value.

I think we can go wrong at No 10 this year but there are a lot of good options out there meaning it will be harder to pick a looser .

I shy away from WRs, especially WRs who impress in shorts and shirts and especially WRs who have questionable hands and untold injuries, especially when you have 3 guys on the roster who had over 800 years last season especially when you also have glaring needs at DL and OLB (and coming soon CB) both of which are strong areas in this years draft . . . .

That said Shanahan likes Jones I would not be cut up about this pick .

I just really want to see Patrick Peterson in a redskins uniform. I love his style of play hes a big hitter and has great ball skills. The guy has too much talent to fall to us but stranger things have happened in the draft.

First receivers, now corners...are the posters in this thread made up of the mutated lovechildren of Al Davis and Matt Millen?

Sorry, I kid, but isn't this exactly the type of draft strategy that has gotten us to where we are, and what the fans have been clamoring to change for some time now? Maybe if we rolled into the draft 12 picks deep like the Patriots we could draft our lineman in the later rounds, but we're so depleted we need top-tier talent NOW. WR/CB seem like too much of a luxary for me at this point...

I also think Locker. I think coach Shanahan made up his mind on Jake last year.

Sorry to point you out, I've seen tons of people doing this. But how on Earth does anyone know what Mike Shannhan is thinking? The media outside of Adam Schefter has no clue, so how anyone on this site would know is baffling to me.

Did Mike say he liked Locker? Because if that's the case you can probably knock him off the list of potential people we would draft. Someone on this site pointed out that the year he drafted Cutler no one had the faintest clue that was going to occur, because there were no signs of it.

Have any of you people actually watched many of Alabama's games? Julio Jones is not that good. He doesn't run good routes, and he isn't very fluent. He might be a workout warrior and do great at the combine, but I want a good football player. Julio was extremely inconsistent and when facing an elite secondary, he would get shut down for the most part. I'd love to have AJ Green, but I wouldn't touch Julio Jones.

Personally, I think we are in a win-win spot this year. We need several positions and should be able to get a great player for any holes we have. I would love to see Jones @ #10. Also I could see AJ falling to us if Jones' hype gets him drafted higher which would be great. I wouldn't be disappointed if we didn't get either but got OLB or any of the DL's out there. Even if we can trade back and pick up a pick we should still be in good shape for a "need" player. I like Julio but from watching AJ play this past season I'd be real excited if we got lucky and he fell to us. Stranger things have happened.... (Orakpo)

Sorry to point you out, I've seen tons of people doing this. But how on Earth does anyone know what Mike Shannhan is thinking? The media outside of Adam Schefter has no clue, so how anyone on this site would know is baffling to me.

Did Mike say he liked Locker? Because if that's the case you can probably knock him off the list of potential people we would draft. Someone on this site pointed out that the year he drafted Cutler no one had the faintest clue that was going to occur, because there were no signs of it.

darellgreenie had a good link to, shoot, a Denver radio station interview I think it was in Shanahan's "gap year" where he talked up Locker.

I guess you read into that what you will.

Hail.

There's no way that you can project Jones to Johnson based purely on physical attributes...Andre Johnson has amazing hands, the dude rarely drops a ball - that is as important of an attribute as there is in a WR.

Another reason we collectively pray Malcolm Kelly is over his injury problems. Dude has stick-em for hands.

Hail.

Julio Jones? If we need a receiver, couldn't we just trade Orakpo and Trent Williams for Chad Johnson?

Now that's some funny stuff. Horrifying that those picks could have gotten us Ocho a couple of years ago.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that if Julio Jones falls to the Washington Redskins at #10, team Shanahan has no choice but to take him. I know the Skins need linemen on both sides of the ball. They need a Quarterback, Linebackers, probably another starting corner, and ideally another running back. Yet I feel the pick will still be Wide Receiver Julio Jones from the University of Alabama.

We all know Mike Shanahan like QBs, but we also know that Kyle Shanahan is the one running the offense and if Kyle doesn’t fall in love with a QB, I don’t see them going that route. I see Kyle Shanahan, given the opportunity, getting is Andre Johnson in Washington this year. .

Hate to rain on your parade but if Shanahan is anything he is predictable as how he drafts and he doesn't draft WR's high (see Brandon Marshall (4th rounder) for example.

See http://bgobsession.com/blog.php?b=99 It accurately predicted that LT was going to be taken last year.

2010-02-11_1335.png

The chart above shows that he drafts allot of WR's.

The draft below shows that he doesn't tend to spend high draft picks doing so.

2010-02-11_1334.png

The odds favor him taking a OLB/DE in the 1st round.

Cool charts, and pretty informative. Thanks for the info, Oldskool.

I can't wait for him to draft the equivalent of a Brandon Marshall in the middle rounds.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see him take a RB like Ryan Williams in the 2nd, if he does in fact go DE/OLB in the first. The chart shows that he doesn't draft RB high very often, but it also shows that he NEVER drafts G/C that high. And if he's already gone DL/OLB at #10, and there isn't a QB that he loves there, WR and RB start looking pretty attractive at #41.

Cool charts, and pretty informative. Thanks for the info, Oldskool.

I can't wait for him to draft the equivalent of a Brandon Marshall in the middle rounds.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see him take a RB like Ryan Williams in the 2nd, if he does in fact go DE/OLB in the first. The chart shows that he doesn't draft RB high very often, but it also shows that he NEVER drafts G/C that high. And if he's already gone DL/OLB at #10, and there isn't a QB that he loves there, WR and RB start looking pretty attractive at #41.

If they take a WR at #10 and there isn't a QB at #43 that they fancy, I wouldn't be surprised if they traded out of the 2nd altogether and grabbed a 3rd and 4th and went QB/OL there.

---------- Post added March-7th-2011 at 05:55 PM ----------

I really don't care what language he speaks. :silly:

The more I think about it, the more I believe that if Julio Jones falls to the Washington Redskins at #10, team Shanahan has no choice but to take him. I know the Skins need linemen on both sides of the ball. They need a Quarterback, Linebackers, probably another starting corner, and ideally another running back. Yet I feel the pick will still be Wide Receiver Julio Jones from the University of Alabama.

We all know Mike Shanahan like QBs, but we also know that Kyle Shanahan is the one running the offense and if Kyle doesn’t fall in love with a QB, I don’t see them going that route. I see Kyle Shanahan, given the opportunity, getting is Andre Johnson in Washington this year.

Let’s take a look at their measurables and see how they compare.

Andre Johnson

Height: 6’3”

Weight: 230 lbs

40 yd dash time: 4.41 sec

Vertical: 41”

Broad Jump: 11’

Julio Jones

Height: 6’2 ¾”

Weight: 220 lbs

40 yd dash time: 4.39 sec

Vertical: 38 ½”

Broad Jump: 11’3”

They have similar builds and let me remind you that Julio accomplished all of his measurables on a fractured foot. Jones also suffered a broken hand during the season last year and only missed one game, and he had to be forced to sit in that one.

The fact of the matter is the Skins need a true #1 Wide Receiver, if they can’t get the QB that they want why not get a receiver that could very well be Andre Johnson 2.0.

Every time I see one of these WR threads, I shake my head. Bad teams who drafted stud wr's like Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson have.... wait for it....

Remained bad teams.

Look at the Lions, Texans, and Cardinals for examples. All have stud receivers, but holes all over the team everywhere else. Look what it got them... Nothing.

Build the lines first then look for skill players.

A perfect example is the 1991 Redskins. With the stud offensive line they had, Mark Rypien turned into a pro bowler (yes I know he was throwing to Art Monk and Gary Clark, but you could have had 3 Ricky Sanders clones filling all 3 spots and they still would have been successful). Same thing on defense, having a stud defensive line made guys like Martin Mayhew and Brad Edwards playmakers.

Earnest Byner wasn't the fastest or strongest RB, but the o-line made him look great.

Work on the trenches first, then add skill players. Unless whoever is available at 10 is bpa who is a WR and there are no good trade offers.

85hankerson10glb.jpg

:D

---------- Post added March-7th-2011 at 11:05 PM ----------

Every time I see one of these WR threads, I shake my head. Bad teams who drafted stud wr's like Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson have.... wait for it....

Remained bad teams.

Look at the Lions, Texans, and Cardinals for examples. All have stud receivers, but holes all over the team everywhere else. Look what it got them... Nothing.

Lions: On their way up, will be competing in the NFCN, or at least for a wild card, for the next 5-10 years.

Texans: Consistently a top offense, need a defense to contend in the AFCS, should make the playoffs here soon.

Cardinals: Were in the Super Bowl not too long ago if memory serves...

If he's available at #10, and if a team like the Rams decides it has to have him, would you trade back a few spots and give up Julio Jones?

No, i said specifically that IF he's sitting there @ #10 then we should get him. No, I don't think we should trade up for anyone, including Julio.

Though Jones would be a good choice at No. 10, I still think the Redskins should trade down and stockpile more draft selections.

You need someone to trade down with. More often than not, that's not really a problem, but with the plethora of talent in this year's draft, it will probably be harder to than normal.

Archived