Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The more I think about it the more I believe the Redskins will take...

Titaw

You need someone to trade down with. More often than not, that's not really a problem, but with the plethora of talent in this year's draft, it will probably be harder to than normal.

I think we've tried to trade down the last five years, and we've only been able to do so what, one time? I would say it usually is a problem trying to trade down because nobody seems to want to trade into a pick with higher guaranteed money.

Lions: On their way up, will be competing in the NFCN, or at least for a wild card, for the next 5-10 years.

Texans: Consistently a top offense, need a defense to contend in the AFCS, should make the playoffs here soon.

Cardinals: Were in the Super Bowl not too long ago if memory serves...

Lions drafted WR's after WR's and busted hard for years. Drafted QB without addressing their OL and Stafford has played 13 out of the possible 32 games in his career due to injury.

Texans for years stunk on ice because they took Carr at #1 and never addressed their OL. Are we seeing a pattern yet??

Cardinals stunk for years and even with Fitzgerald and Boldin weren't that great of a team due to their OL issues and it took a possible HOF QB to get them to the playoffs..

I would be fine with most options at #10 except for quarterback. My only thing with picking offense is that Shanahan has a knack for finding offensive talent in later rounds--excluding o-line. Top defensive talent is much more difficult to find, or at least it seems that way. I wouldn't be upset with Jones at #10, but he's the only offensive option that makes sense. It's either Jones or defense for me.

If the Skins get reassured that Quinn's medical issues aren't a problem -- he might be the one they pick. (Alternatively, we trade down into the lower first round and select Locker, picking up defensive line with 2nd rounder and whatever other pick they got for trading down.)

If a blue-chip WR is available at #10, I suspect the Skins use that situation as trade bait.

Cant argue against it. Would love to see him playing for us.

---------- Post added March-8th-2011 at 07:23 AM ----------

Lions: On their way up, will be competing in the NFCN, or at least for a wild card, for the next 5-10 years.

Texans: Consistently a top offense, need a defense to contend in the AFCS, should make the playoffs here soon.

Yup!!!!! WR doesn't make or break your team but it sure does help and how many people want to go into next season with lets see here ummm AA, Kelly and Austin? as our top WR's.....Not me!!

Would be a bad pick IMO.

Yes, we have many holes, but that means we have to re-build. You have to start that with the lines.

Now, if the CBA gets done and after FA lots of those have been addressed, the thought will change. But as of right now, it would be bad. Because absolutey nothing about adding him will make us more competitive than right now.

We of course have other picks in the draft besides our first rounder. I doubt they go o line with it, O line picks as top ten picks almost always are LT so if we go for a guard like Watkins with the 10th pick, that would be quite a reach. As for D line, that seems a reach for Taylor. Maybe Cameron Jordan or Watt? If Shanny and the Skins scouts see J. Jones as a special player and lets say Jordan as a good but unlikely special player -- IMO you take the special player. I thought the whole idea of rebuilding is that it doesn't happen overnight and its a process. It seems much easier to find a marquee interior O lineman for example in the 2nd round than it is a WR.

Dallas has Dez Bryant, M Auston

Eagles: D. Jackson, Macklin

Giants: H. Nicks, S. Smith, Manningham

those are some good young wide receivers who will terrorize us for years, who do we have to terrorize them, soon to be 28 year old A. Armstrong?

---------- Post added March-8th-2011 at 08:30 AM ----------

Lions drafted WR's after WR's and busted hard for years. Drafted QB without addressing their OL and Stafford has played 13 out of the possible 32 games in his career due to injury..

Don't know if making a point about Millen's bad picks is relative to the point at hand but to play along -- Millen is gone, and they finally struck gold on WR with Calvin Johnson. To run with your point we IMO have to apply it because that's what we are talking about here, whom do we draft, which goes beyond a philosophical conversation but involves actual choices of players. Calvin Johnson or Joe Thomas, Gaines Adams and Levi Jones? Those are the O line and D lineman chosen after Johnson. Thomas is a stud no doubt but so is Calvin at an arguably harder position to find studs. The other players were nothing special. I am doubting the Lions are telling themselves geez if we only took Joe Thomas, Gaines Adams or Levi Jones our future would look much brighter.

In a way you almost help make the point for J. Jones assuming Shanny thinks he's something special. It's pretty tough to find WRs that you fall in love with, most have flaws, and ones that you think are going to be studs are hard to find. I recall reading how Joe Gibbs and Vinny were drooling over Calvin and considered trading up for him. He was labeled as I can't miss type of stud. Conversely, look at Mike Williams whom the Lions drafted, he wasn't rated as a sure fire stud -- there were concerns about his work ethic, speed, etc. i recall the write ups on Devin Thomas, one year wonder, he was raw, wasn't a great route runner. Now maybe J. Jones is a mixed bag too, you got me, and there is no such thing as a sure thing, but if a player is screaming to Shanny that they are likely a stud, and considering Shanny knows miles more about offense than we do, and decides he wants him, I got no problem with that. We have been almost as inept as the Lions in drafting Wrs over the last 20 years, but I don't think the solution is to give up on it.

As for Stafford, his career is far from over, they look good when he's in the lineup, good enough to beat us in consecutive years. Do they regret that they drafted Stafford over the next players drafted on the lines -- Jason Smith, Tyson Jackson and Andre Smith?

Texans for years stunk on ice because they took Carr at #1 and never addressed their OL. Are we seeing a pattern yet?? .

I doubt the o line is killing them, they have a good offense which is much better than ours. They don't have a marquee O line but they have a good QB, a marquee WR, and a very good RB. See a pattern there?

Cardinals stunk for years and even with Fitzgerald and Boldin weren't that great of a team due to their OL issues and it took a possible HOF QB to get them to the playoffs..

This almost dovetails off of the Texans, do you mean that with a good QB a good o line isn't as essential? Otherwise, it sort of backs up how the point plays with the Texans. You got a good QB, receiving corp -- you are going to be a winning team regardless of how good the O line is to a degree. Warner was good with the Cards but he wasn't Peyton Manning.

Look, we've had teams with good o lines, for awhile we got billed as having the best bookend tackles in the league with Samuels, and Jansen. In their prime, Randy Thomas, Rabach, Dockery, Samuels, Jansen was quite an o line. We have had top 5 rated defenses. But those teams were not elite teams far from it. What was missing, comparing us to most of the elite teams? We didn't have great IMO QB and Wr play. We haven't had a good passing game in a long time -- and in a passing league that hurts. And yeah i don't think upgrading the passing is a luxury -- its something IMO we need to do among other things.

And I am not an all or nothing guy, yeah of course it helps to have a strong O line and d line. But I don't buy the idea that you reach for a D or O lineman at the expense of a marquee player on offense. And you got me if J Jones is a marquee player but if Shanny thinks so for me at least its laughable looking at our history that upgrading the passing game which has arguably the bane of this team for two decades would be considered a foolish choice.

85hankerson10glb.jpg

:D

---------- Post added March-7th-2011 at 11:05 PM ----------

Lions: being on their way up has alot to do with their defense stepping up, and a big part of that is Suh and that d-line. Stafford has missed a ton of games due to injury.

Texans: O line turned unknown Arian Foster into a 1600+ yard back w 16 td's, plus a pro bowl caliber qb.

Cardinals, they had a SB mvp and future HOF in Kurt Warner throwing the ball.. when it was just Fitz and Boldin they stunk it up. *though I think this was a case of the qb making the line look better than it was.. it was serviceable but their ground game has always sucked*

I think we've tried to trade down the last five years, and we've only been able to do so what, one time? I would say it usually is a problem trying to trade down because nobody seems to want to trade into a pick with higher guaranteed money.

You're right, you have to have a trading partner. Still kinda gonna have the same problem given the uncertainity of a rookie salary cap. However, it might get interesting if Jones is there and both the Pats and Rams want him.

Unless there is a QB there who Shanny likes then we will go BPA. We have so many holes that just about any position we take as BPA also fills a need given we need players everywhere apart from TE and Safety.

If Jones is BPA on our board then great, personally though I think the pick is more likely to be a OLB like Quinn or Aldon Smith or a RDE like JJ Watt.

You'd have to have Quinn, Miller, Watt, Jordan ranked ahead of him, assuming Dareus (who should be #1 on our board) is gone. How sure are we that any of them are? Then there's the QB ?...

Jones has some durability and concentration issues. I think I'd have him ahead of those not named Dareus. Of course, I'd trade with NE for two of their 3 picks in the top 33 in a heartbeat.

We of course have other picks in the draft besides our first rounder. I doubt they go o line with it, O line picks as top ten picks almost always are LT so if we go for a guard like Watkins with the 10th pick, that would be quite a reach. As for D line, that seems a reach for Taylor. Maybe Cameron Jordan or Watt? If Shanny and the Skins scouts see J. Jones as a special player and lets say Jordan as a good but unlikely special player -- IMO you take the special player. I thought the whole idea of rebuilding is that it doesn't happen overnight and its a process. It seems much easier to find a marquee interior O lineman for example in the 2nd round than it is a WR.

Dallas has Dez Bryant, M Auston

Eagles: D. Jackson, Macklin

Giants: H. Nicks, S. Smith, Manningham

those are some good young wide receivers who will terrorize us for years, who do we have to terrorize them, soon to be 28 year old A. Armstrong?

3 of the 7 players you mentioned were first round picks and none were drafted above 17.

So again, I think WR's bust more than succeed when drafted so early. If Jones is that good, he will go top 5 maybe even top 3.

I honestly believe we need to build inside out and not outside in.

You'd have to have Quinn, Miller, Watt, Jordan ranked ahead of him, assuming Dareus (who should be #1 on our board) is gone. How sure are we that any of them are? Then there's the QB ?...

Jones has some durability and concentration issues. I think I'd have him ahead of those not named Dareus. Of course, I'd trade with NE for two of their 3 picks in the top 33 in a heartbeat.

you have Dareus #1 on our board? Not criticizing...just asking. Where would you play him? DE or NT?

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind having the guy on my team, but personally, I would rather have Von Miller or AJ Green....oh yeah, I'd also take Peterson and Fairley before Dareus.

---------- Post added March-8th-2011 at 02:26 PM ----------

So again, I think WR's bust more than succeed when drafted so early.

true that

ding ding ding

I don't think it is worth starting a thread/poll (I'd probably get NNT) but I'd love to poll how many Julio Jones games the people who are beating his drum have seen. I've probably seen about 10....and I don't think he is very good.

I've watched about 90% of his college career, the rest wasn't televised in my area. What you have said about him couldn't be more wrong. The man runs great routes, has great hands and is fluid. Not to mention he comes up big in big spots, he block downfield and never takes plays off. Your opinion is biased because you are a Florida fan just as mine is because I am a Bama fan. For a WR that is in a run first offense to put up the numbers he did last season (78 rec 1133 yds and 7 TDs) I'd say he's pretty good.

I'm not saying we should draft him @ 10 I'm simply saying that when you think about it Kyle NOT Mike is running the offense and if a guy like Julio is there @ #10 we're probably going to take him.

I've watched about 90% of his college career, the rest wasn't televised in my area. What you have said about him couldn't be more wrong. The man runs great routes, has great hands and is fluid. Not to mention he comes up big in big spots, he block downfield and never takes plays off. Your opinion is biased because you are a Florida fan just as mine is because I am a Bama fan. For a WR that is in a run first offense to put up the numbers he did last season (78 rec 1133 yds and 7 TDs) I'd say he's pretty good.

I'm not saying we should draft him @ 10 I'm simply saying that when you think about it Kyle NOT Mike is running the offense and if a guy like Julio is there @ #10 we're probably going to take him.

Kyle is running the offense but Mike is running the franchise and the draft decisions and he has never taken a WR high first. I don't see that changing in a draft deep in top ten rated OLB/DE candidates, a spot we are in desperate need of help - much more so than WR in my opinion.

3 of the 7 players you mentioned were first round picks and none were drafted above 17.

So again, I think WR's bust more than succeed when drafted so early. If Jones is that good, he will go top 5 maybe even top 3.

I never said Jones is that good or isn't. I am not an NFL scout. But when Shanny evaluates J. Jones and lets say if he does decide that he is a stud, am all for drafting the dude -- I doubt Shanny and the scouts care about where the Cowboys drafted Dez for example (he slid if you recall because of character concerns) when it comes to their own evaluation of J. Jones or would they be bothered that teams took guys like Nick Fairley and Patrick Peterson ahead of him.

When Shanny took Clady, he said he thought he was a stud, and yeah Clady slipped out of the top 10 so other teams clearly disagreed -- if Shanny thinks a player is top 10, I would assume he doesn't care about lets say what the Bills think of that player.

As for how to build the team, they drafted a LT last time, the time before a DE. The lines don't have to be built with the first pick of the draft all the time. We got a high 2nd rounder, we got free agency.

I am into building the team with marquee players whether its DE, OT, WR -- we need talent. IMO its not that we've been there and done that and had our stud play makers on offense and it hasn't worked -- you can more easily argue the reverse, we've failed to procure good talent in the passing game for the most part. We've had a top o line, we've had top defenses, the missing ingredient for the last 15 years ago has been we have been a bad passing team.

I've watched about 90% of his college career, the rest wasn't televised in my area. What you have said about him couldn't be more wrong. The man runs great routes, has great hands and is fluid. Not to mention he comes up big in big spots, he block downfield and never takes plays off. Your opinion is biased because you are a Florida fan just as mine is because I am a Bama fan. For a WR that is in a run first offense to put up the numbers he did last season (78 rec 1133 yds and 7 TDs) I'd say he's pretty good..

You say that I'm biased because I'm a Florida fan, but I think you are actually biased because you are a Bama fan. Look at the facts, the guy had about 3 big games that inflated his stats....he got shut down in about 5 games last year: Ole Miss, Forida, Penn State, Arkansas, Mississippi State. I don't think a guy is a 1st round pick who gets handled against 5 different college teams. He does have straight line speed, but he isn't very agile in making guys miss and extending plays after the catch. Go back and see what happens when he faces an elite corner (this isn't even about a Bama vs. UF debate...because you guys owned us the past 2 years...I'll acknowledge that) but when Julio went up against our elite corners: Haden and Jenkins....they completely shut him down....took him out of the game. I can't have my #1 receiver get completely taken out of the game whenever they have to face a good corner.

Oh yeah...Julio doesn't show up in big games either. He didn't show up in the SEC championship against the Gators, the National Championship against Texas, or your bowl game this year against MSU (which I must admit I didn't see....but looking at the stats it looks like he didn't do much).

I hate GA just as much as Bama, but I'd take AJ Green in a heartbeat...he is an elite receiver.

I realize Kyle is running the offense...I referenced that in a previous post, but Kyle isn't in charged of personnel....Mike is. Mike has only drafted one WR in the 1st round, that was Ashley Lelie....a bust. He has, however, had huge success drafting WRs in mid-late rounds in the past, and I expect him to not break that trend. If we pick at #10, it is likely going to be a front 7 defensive player with a slight possibility of trade back or QB.

Gator I have freely admitted that my opinion is biased because I am a Bama fan, that is why I have never said we should or shouldn't draft Julio Jones. The big games you refer to were dominated by the run game. Julio made big catches at critical points to keep drives alive in those games. Just because he wasn't showcased doesn't mean he had impact. Bama's offense showcased the run and who wouldn't do that exact thing with arguably the best RB tandem in the nation. In those games where he face elite corners, Bama didn't need to pass the ball, their run game and defense were on point.

Don't get me wrong, he still has alot to learn in the NFL I was simply pointing out the fact that when you compare the measurables Julio Jones is eerily similar to Andre Johnson.

you have Dareus #1 on our board? Not criticizing...just asking. Where would you play him? DE or NT?

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind having the guy on my team, but personally, I would rather have Von Miller or AJ Green....oh yeah, I'd also take Peterson and Fairley before Dareus.

I'd play him where he played in college. DE for the 34, 5 tech. Miller has no place on this team since we already have said we have no plans to move Orakpo from his Jack position. You really going to put Miller at Sam? I'd much rather have Quinn than Miller.

And yes, I'd have Dareus over Peterson on my big board. I admittedly leave Peterson off the board because I'm pretty confident he wouldn't be there but I'd have him in the top 5 of my board, he wouldn't be over Dareus. I have Dareus over Fairley for what it's worth. I feel Fairley will be best at 3 tech in a 43. AJ Green? I'm undecided if I like him more than Jones. Jones had to play with McElroy and a run heavy offense. I don't see Mike drafting either to be completely honest with you.

Gator I have freely admitted that my opinion is biased because I am a Bama fan, that is why I have never said we should or shouldn't draft Julio Jones. The big games you refer to were dominated by the run game. Julio made big catches at critical points to keep drives alive in those games. Just because he wasn't showcased doesn't mean he had impact. Bama's offense showcased the run and who wouldn't do that exact thing with arguably the best RB tandem in the nation. In those games where he face elite corners, Bama didn't need to pass the ball, their run game and defense were on point.

Don't get me wrong, he still has alot to learn in the NFL I was simply pointing out the fact that when you compare the measurables Julio Jones is eerily similar to Andre Johnson.

fair enough on your point about the running game. You are definitely right, running the ball has been Bama's bread and butter....and I agree with you...Richardson and Ingram were definitely the best RB tandem in all of college football. That being said, even running teams like Bama get more production from a number one receiver than 4 catches and 19 yards in a game. I don't think Julio is even close to Andre Johnson; Andre is much better...much more complete wide receiver. I'll take Ingram and McElroy on my team all day, but Julio is garbage.....I don't want him.

---------- Post added March-9th-2011 at 11:15 AM ----------

I'd play him where he played in college. DE for the 34, 5 tech. Miller has no place on this team since we already have said we have no plans to move Orakpo from his Jack position. You really going to put Miller at Sam? I'd much rather have Quinn than Miller.

And yes, I'd have Dareus over Peterson on my big board. I admittedly leave Peterson off the board because I'm pretty confident he wouldn't be there but I'd have him in the top 5 of my board, he wouldn't be over Dareus. I have Dareus over Fairley for what it's worth. I feel Fairley will be best at 3 tech in a 43. AJ Green? I'm undecided if I like him more than Jones. Jones had to play with McElroy and a run heavy offense. I don't see Mike drafting either to be completely honest with you.

I agree that Quinn would be a much better fit for the defense with Orakpo staying at the Jack, but I think Miller is a better player...so he is higher on my board. What you say makes sense though....I don't think Orakpo would be a good SAM anyway...his strongest attribute is his pass rush ability; he doesn't seem very good at covering or run support.

I pretty much agree with everything you said except for Jones possibly being better than Green. Green is definitely legit and I think Julio will be a huge bust. Thankfully, there are a bunch of top tier guys that fill positions of need for us, so we should get an impact player right out of the gate at #10.

I also think Locker. I think coach Shanahan made up his mind on Jake last year.
Sorry to point you out, I've seen tons of people doing this. But how on Earth does anyone know what Mike Shannhan is thinking? The media outside of Adam Schefter has no clue, so how anyone on this site would know is baffling to me.

Did Mike say he liked Locker? Because if that's the case you can probably knock him off the list of potential people we would draft. Someone on this site pointed out that the year he drafted Cutler no one had the faintest clue that was going to occur, because there were no signs of it.

I agree with people posting "this is what Shanny thinks/will do"...do you sit at the breakfast table with him and discuss the days events then come on here and post what he says? I think not...and I can say I think not cuz it's what I think...notice I didn't say "Shanny thinks not" ;)

On another note...Locker at #10 would seriously be the hugest reach in this years draft...there is better talent at QB and other positions that there's no reason he should get drafted before the 2nd round...unless a team wants to trade up to get him with one of the last few picks in the 1st round. Way too many prospects "showed up" at the combine and improved their draft stock that the 1st round especially #10 is a reach for Locker.

Archived