Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kevin and Rock not on WJFK anymore but for how long?

Stew

This is the second weekend in a row Kevin and Rock have not been on the station and repeated emails to the station Program Director Chris Kinard have gone without a response.

Oddly enough this happened the weekend after a Tweet exchange between Kevin and Rock and Lavar Arrington that appeared innocent enough although Lavar appeared arrogant in his responses to Kevin and Rock about why he doesn’t feel the need to follow those who follow him. Does anyone know if this is why they are not on the air and if so why wouldn’t Lavar be off the air too?

I was at a friends house when I heard that a back and forth between the two had taken place. Since then I havent heard the Kev and Rock show and the messages from their facebook page have slowed to a trickle. Whats the deal? The Kev and Rock show was fast turning into my favorate show on TheFan. The chemistry between the host's was real, there was a lot of genuine laughter and the show was starting to build a following as evidenced with the rising numbers on their facebook adn twitter accounts.

The community had begun to embrace the show and regular callers from other shows like Darwin had started calling the Kev and Rock show. Local businesses and dealerships wanted to advertise on the show as well. Combine that local support with great segments like the Black and White segment, and great interviews like the Haynesworth exclusives, the Pres of Boise St before the VT game, Donny Warren before teh Russ Grim HOF induction, and players like Banks, Armstrong, and Hall (Rock never did run routes against Hall like he said he would though... maybe next season, and great stuff like that is the reason you listen though) among others, and its the foundation for a really great show with some staying power. The guys also treated the callers a lot better then most shows on TheFan.

It was my weekend show, and I tuned in the mornings they were on for the Junks, otherwise i listen to 980 in the mornings. I have a daily round trip commute of 140 miles. Seventy from Madison County to Woodbridge and back again, six days a week. On Saturdays, I had gotten used to three things. VT football, VT basketball, and Kev and Rock. Today I listened half heartedly as VT lost again, hoping that afterwards Id be greeted with the Fugees intro I loved and had been missing. Didnt happen. I heard someone I had never heard before on today. A guy by the name of Glen Unick, i believe. Not that bad, just very bland, and while his conversation wasnt bad, it just wasnt as engaging as what I have been accostomed to.

Im digressing. The point of the thread was to see if anyone had heard anything or knew what was up with the Kev and Rock show, and if there was a different way to voice support for the show and get it back on the weekends?

I dont have the word for word, Im trying to look it up. I was actually told about it, but coincidently enough the show hasnt been on in any fashion. I am wondering iif there is a connection. There are a lot of people here that listen as well, or may know whats going on. This thread was just something I thought about on my trip home today. The gentleman that was on just sounded like another version of Holden Kushner. Not that its a bad thing, but just kind of a cookie cutter sports talk show host, and it just didnt hold my attention. By the end of the drive home I had decided on my mp3 library over my usual sports talk radio, and Ive played through all my songs enough times that it gets old sometimes. I need more songs from amazon.

i'm trying to remember what drove me nuts about their show when the junkies were on vacation. cant remember if it was some redskins facts they butchered, some rant about how the redskins name is 'obviously' racist (a la wise or lavar and dukes), dan snyder, mike shanahan, or a racial rant that was supposed to be funny and/or thought provoking but was neither.

pretty sure it was the first one. but, they're new. not writing them off yet. i'd rather listen to them them lavar and dukes at this point. they have become unlistenable.

i'd rather listen to them them lavar and dukes at this point. they have become unlistenable.

They blow LaVar and Dukes out of the water. LaVar is a shining example of someone who was put behind a microphone strictly for name recognition.

106.7 line up:

- Sports Junkies are crap. Their routine has gotten old over the years and they are far more interesting in TMZ than any sports league.

- UnWise Mike has his moments but his co-host Holden is bad IMO. Wise was better when paired with Brain Mitchell.

- Lavar has improved over time. Still nothing special on the radio but not bad. I have listened to the show when I'm in the car and it's not been bad. Dukes loves to be negative as possible but I suspect it's for ratings... positivity has never sold as well. He does seem to have some pent up anger towards women though that he probably see a shrink about.

- Bill Rowland is horrible. Danny Rouhier is good and can be flat out hilarious at times.

- Kevin and Rock have a lot of energy and chemistry and are entertaining to listen too.

They blow LaVar and Dukes out of the water. LaVar is a shining example of someone who was put behind a microphone strictly for name recognition.

The problem I have with Var&Dukes is the " shock jock" nature of their show. Instead of a somewhat unbiased analysis of the team, you get a bunch of yelling, screaming lunatics, who are rude to callers, and constantly harp on meaningless, yet controversial topics, that are sure to lure the Walking Dead of the DMV to their station, and it works.

I stopped listening right after Dukes' stupid viral rant a few months back. I'm sure he felt real important after that. :rolleyes:

The guy's a complete moron, and the less of him I listen to, the better off I'll be.

When they aren't funny, ( and I admit, they can be really funny at times ) they are unlistenable. Period.

What viral rant?

It happened after the loss to th Eagles. He went on a lengthy rant, about how the team "Owes him". While there are parts of it that I agreed with, the bottom line is that this team is ****ty, and no stupid chest beating rant is going to change that. Here it is.

ePAevL_cEaA

I just checked and the Kevin and Rock twitter account hasn't made a tweet since Feb. 24.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear from them for awhile. That's how things work over there. You don't like what someone else has to say? Snuff them out.

I think I remember GACOLB talking about a few run-ins that he's had with the people at that station in another thread awhile back.

The problem I have with Var&Dukes is the " shock jock" nature of their show. Instead of a somewhat unbiased analysis of the team, you get a bunch of yelling, screaming lunatics, who are rude to callers, and constantly harp on meaningless, yet controversial topics, that are sure to lure the Walking Dead of the DMV to their station, and it works.

I stopped listening right after Dukes' stupid viral rant a few months back. I'm sure he felt real important after that. :rolleyes:

The guy's a complete moron, and the less of him I listen to, the better off I'll be.

When they aren't funny, ( and I admit, they can be really funny at times ) they are unlistenable. Period.

agree. i'm as critical of the skins as anyone, but day after day of their over the top/borderline conspiracy theory criticism of snyder, shanahan or the skins in general just wears on my sanity.

after they spent weeks talking about how crazy shanahan was for cutting devin thomas (as in, there must be a secret agenda at work here, cuz thomas is just too good to be cut) i knew it was all schtick. or they are just psychopaths.

Yeah, the backing of Devin Thomas was obvious from the start. I lost a lot of respect for Lavar after that. It was shtick, and they were terrible at it. You at least have to sound somewhat convincing whenever you employ that tactic, but they failed miserably at it.

They're on facebook and have posted recently..

On Feb 25th : "No shows this weekend ..I have work my big boy job..so we will let you know the next time we are on..stay tuned"

On Mar 3rd : "No shows this weekend...I let you know the next time we are on"

I mean it could be something going on, or it could be they are just busy with their full time jobs.

I think I remember GACOLB talking about a few run-ins that he's had with the people at that station in another thread awhile back.

Yeah man, I had an internship set up over there at the station. This was before they flipped formats. So one day me and Flukes got into some argument on AIM about the Wizards and Gilbert Arenas. It wasn't anything. A normal sports debate. Next thing I know I'm blocked on their myspace/AIM/Facebook and they don't return my emails. That was just the start of it.

Flukes has some real self-esteem issues. I think it's because he's such a round-of-mound-of-troll looking **** who really has absolutely no background in anything other than being a fat loser. So if you cross him or criticize him, even on the littlest of things, he really takes it to heart and holds a grudge against you.

Don Geronimo--of Don and Mike fame--hated him. Thought he was a total hack. I've also talked to someone over there now and they say pretty much the same. The dude is just a loser. Period. The only reason he has a show and ever had a show was because of CK. Apparently he's got a thing for Flukes for some reason.

Putting aside personal disputes, the thing that annoys me the most about their show and makes it unlistenable to me, is the obvious schtick. Hell, from time to time Flukes will even admit that they are just trying to spur conversation and controversy. For example, I saw an exchange on twitter this past week where some guy told Flukes that they really need to get off the whole Albert Haynesworth thing. He basically told the dude to STFU, that he doesn't understand radio and that they have :excited::excited:the #1 sports talk show in the area:excited::excited:

I like three and a P on that station. Kevin, Rock and Danny Rouhier. To me they are legit and fun to listen to, even if they are wrong sometimes. The P would be Grant Paulson. I like him teamed up with Danny.

The other's are nothing but schtick personified. You know Bill Roland isn't even a Skins fan? He's a classic bandwagoner. Lakers, Cowboys (I think), and Yankees. Yup.

BTW, they read this site. All of them.

I laugh at the " We have the number 1 Station in the area" BS. If you pile up enough ****, eventually it will be swarmed with flies.

Supply and demand is pretty high right now in the neverending, tired, undying "I hate Snyder/Portis/Campbell/Haynesworth/*Insert next whipping boy* department. People are pissed, and they love to listen to other people who tell them what they want to hear, instead of what they need to hear.

I f the Skins start winning again, their show will go down the drain, because then they'll be forced to jump off the soapbox, which is the driving force behind their "success"

The only reason that station has good ratings is because 980 is terrible.

Can someone give some more insight to what the beef was between Laverne and k&r? I'm sure Laverne was acting like an elitist jerk off. Can't stand him and his fat loser side kick Chad pukes. Id slap the **** out of that fat **** if I had the chance. And if I were a bit bigger I'd do the same to Laverne. Drama queen ***** ass punks. Like someone else said when the skins start winning their show will take a dive. People love listening to negative drama.

I know Rock has posted on ES before. Maybe he can chime in?

By far my favorite show on DC radio is Kevin and Rock. I found time to pretty much listen to it any time it was on and frequently called in.

OT with Roland and Rouhier is alright. I listen to that quite a bit also.

Lavar and Chad probably never. And you can see the "Chad Dukeiszation" of the fan base quite a bit in the stadium now.

But yea, K&R needs to come back fast

Flukes has some real self-esteem issues. I think it's because he's such a round-of-mound-of-troll looking **** who really has absolutely no background in anything other than being a fat loser. So if you cross him or criticize him, even on the littlest of things, he really takes it to heart and holds a grudge against you.

never met him, but i am 100% sure you are correct. somehow, it comes across on the show.

Don Geronimo--of Don and Mike fame--hated him. Thought he was a total hack. I've also talked to someone over there now and they say pretty much the same. The dude is just a loser. Period

theres something very abrasive about geronimo. i listened to his podcast a few times with his new show in sacramento. old schoolers who have followed him from his wava or 106.7 days would call and ask very nicely about mike or buzz or robb, and one time he just flipped off the handle. started ranting about that old show was really his show- everything they did was all his ideas. they were never getting back together, havent spoken, etc.. really wacky.

Putting aside personal disputes, the thing that annoys me the most about their show and makes it unlistenable to me, is the obvious schtick. Hell, from time to time Flukes will even admit that they are just trying to spur conversation and controversy.

agree. it drives me nuts. they must think the audience is dumb, but....some do buy into it. i cant stand it. basically stopped llistening months ago, it just got to be too much.

as far as 980, i do like kevin sheehan. he seem knowledgable and does his homework. mixes criticism intelligently with praise and homerism.

Lavar and Dukes wouldn't be so bad if they were receptive to other peoples opinions. Both of them are highly opinionated with very little tolerance for any one else. IMO the best part of radio shows is getting to listen to the various opinions of different people. Lavar and Dukes just want people to call in and kiss their butts.

KnR do a good job of listening to what others have to say and so do a lot of the other people on 106.7. It's a shame that Lavar and Dukes are the most prominent show hosts.

I cant comment on Lavar and Dukes because Lavar cant convey thoughts I can quite comprehend and the only time he seems into the conversation is when he wants to be a know it all about football. Chad speaks for himself. A big kid who plays video games and basically rides Lavars coat tails.

How Chad is allowed to talk so much crap on his podcasts about CBS radio and make up nicknames for other on air personalities at the station as if no one knows who he is talking about is childish and quite unprofessional. Ive seen their television show which they also claim gets great ratings but I’ve seen better sports shows on Cable Access. Its well known that Lavar doesn’t like Chad and Lavar does the show from Lanham while Chad is in Fairfax. Chad has tweeted that he wanted to shoot himself if he had to do another television show RIGHT AFTER taping one night.

If its so bad why do they work together at all? Why is he always feeling as though he needs to bash people who don’t agree and if you;ve noticed since they’ve been together Lavar once listened to folks but has let Chads persona rub off on him. I saw the tweets between Kevin and Rock and Lavar and to think they may have been taken off the air due to that exchange says VERY little about CBS management. If you are a listener of the show you know Rock handles the twitter posts and Kevin does the majority of Facebook postings. If he doesn’t you can basically tell when it’s Rocky.

Rocky tweeted to the effect that they were in second place only to Lavar at the station in Twitter followers and wondered if they could reach 20 thousand followers before Lavar. Lavar shoots back to the affect that the only reason they have that many is they follow their followers and he didn’t need to do that in order to get as many as he had. Seemed a little arrogant to me but I didn’t think the exchange was bad at all on Kevin and Rocks part, they simply said they did to give their supporters access others didn’t and people appreciated that. Lavars comment in return was “get your ratio down player then come holler at me”

That was it. Nothing else. Kevin and Rock tweeted a little the next night replying mostly to a few followers and mentioned a Bowling Listener Appreciation Party they were having paying for the first 40 listeners or something like that and then nothing. These guys may not be the biggest name on the station but they are definitely about the listeners and true Skins fans. They try and make most of the Tailgates on game day, they offer to announce any Extreme events when the fans are seeing the Team off or back from an away game and as they say often they are just regular folks like us. Some one mentioned they are wrong sometimes but funny to listen to. I think that’s part of why people like them. Even if they get facts wrong they are quick to try and correct it and not down folks who call in and let them speak their mind even if they disagree.

I’ve ranted too long already but the fact that some shows still exist on that station and they are on only from time to time shows the station isn’t worried about what their listeners want to hear, just being better than another station that isn’t very good anyway. That’s like being ok with coming in 28 out of 30 in a race but as long as you beat 29 and 30 you have done your job. The times they have filled in for the Junkies made my drive into work so much more bearable, although the Junkies are good, doesn’t anyone else get tired of them acting so overly horny and always complaining about the same things? Why not listen to someone who is used to what we are used to. Working for a living, being true fans of our team without a media or ex athlete agenda?

All while being able to laugh. After 20 years of what we have gone through I think we could use a good laugh or two for a change of pace don’t you?

TINTA...that's it and that's all.:ols:

I became really good friends with Kevin and Rock as they started coming out to all the tailgates this past season on their own in a Golf Cart, which the Redskins allowed them special privilege to do. They did this separate from the station as they do a lot of stuff like their Listener appreciation Bowling party and ticket and sneaker giveaways which I've helped with in the past. The guys really go the extra mile for their listeners.

I talked to Rock earlier in the week to see if they would be on this weekend and he said he didn’t know. I also asked him about the Lavar Twitter exchange and asked was that really why they weren’t on, and although I don’t think he wanted to really get into it, he intimated that it was but it was nothing behind the exchange they had on twitter. Rock was only stating they were second behind Lavar in twitter followers at the station. I read the exchange myself as it was happening and I didn’t think Rock was taking any shots, but Lavar appeared a bit arrogant when tellin Rock the only reason he had so many followers was because he followed people back. He then followed that up with he didn’t need to follow folks back to get as many as he did. That sounded a bit dickish to me but I didn’t see anything wrong in what Rock tweeted.

Rock said he’s just laying low and staying off twitter until further notice, but feels pretty crappy about not being able to respond to people as he usually does. I think its BS whatever is going on because their fill in isn’t that good and loves to mention he has a National show on XM. So I don’t even listen to the station anymore and basically listen to 980. I think 980 would do well to bring them over and capture a younger demographic since they truly are about the fans.

---------- Post added March-6th-2011 at 07:02 PM ----------

FYI CK Tweeted that we'd be hearing more of the guy that filled in for K and R this weekend. I really hope not because I'll be listening to 980 after Bmitch's show instead of keeping it on WJFK

Archived