Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PER Schefter twitter - GB cuts MLB AJ Hawk

Dro89

tho he is young, he'll demand ahefty contrat if he hitste open market. Given our other needs and tht we have Fletcher, Riley, Henson, tendered Blades, and may move Zo inside if we acquire an OLB (just a guess I have), I'd rathr us devote the money and resources elsewhere

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter

Here's a shocker: Packers cut LB A.J. Hawk today.

hmmmmmm interesting.. i guess we find out how confident we are with Riley.Henson,Fletch.

why was this a shocker... AJ Hawk had essentially lost his job until all those injuries put him back in...

GB fans knew that his days were numbered...

He's a big liability in coverage from the games I've seen him and for where he was drafted, he has definitely not earned it. That being said, he is a very stout defender and gets a ton of tackles, just not the playmaker you expected from where he was drafted (you want a Matthews or pre-injury Merriman when you take a LB that high). I wouldn't mind seeing him here, I think he's a good ball player, but I won't be disappointed if we pass.

why was this a shocker... AJ Hawk had essentially lost his job until all those injuries put him back in...

GB fans knew that his days were numbered...

He was being sarcastic. Everyone knew that Hawk was going to be cut. He was due 10M on Friday and wouldn't restructure his rookie contract.

GB would probably want to resign him asap. Although I don't think he's a prototypical 3-4 ILB, things seemed to finally click for him as the season wore on.

Looks like Hawk is resigning a 5 year deal as per rotoworld. This will most likely then free up nick barnett during free agency. I think Barnett is the better player.

Barnett probably is the better overall player, but he's been having some durability issues as of late.

AJ Hawk - LB - Packers

Citing two sources, TMJ 4 Milwaukee reports that free agent AJ Hawk will re-sign with the Packers on Thursday.

Cut Wednesday to avoid a guaranteed $10 million salary, Hawk will reportedly fly back to Green Bay on Thursday and sign a five-year contract. Hawk apparently never even considered other teams; after his release he could've immediately begun taking free agent visits around the league. If the report is correct, the Packers may wind up parting ways with Nick Barnett.

Source: TMJ 4 Milwaukee

Mar 2, 11:34 PM

JuddZulgad JuddZulgad

RT @TomSilverstein New from JS: Hawk and Packers agree on a deal http://bit.ly/fyk28n #packers

2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

To be fair, Riley got playing time at the end of the year.

While this is true it was essentially trash time. Our season had long been over and our defense was down to signing guys off the street just to field a team. My point is that 0 starts, 8 games active, and 7 tackles, while being stuck behind a "bad" player doesn't exactly scream BEAST! to me. Maybe he makes huge strides and leads the league in tackles this year, I just wouldn't put my money on it.

ESPN: A.J. Hawk's agent says he and the Packers are close to a deal that will bring the linebacker back to Green Bay one day after the team released him. Mike McCartney said in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Thursday that the sides are "putting the finishing touches" on the agreement.

Archived