Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PER Schefter twitter - GB cuts MLB AJ Hawk

Dro89

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter

Here's a shocker: Packers cut LB A.J. Hawk today.

hmmmmmm interesting.. i guess we find out how confident we are with Riley.Henson,Fletch.

I don't think this was a shocker at all. Actually people predicted this to happen a couple of days ago.

I think he would be a good pick up for the right price and we will get to see how much Shanahan really likes Riley and Henson to be his ILBs for the next couple of years.

I don't think this was a shocker at all. Actually people predicted this to happen a couple of days ago.

I think he would be a good pick up for the right price and we will get to see how much Shanahan really likes Riley and Henson to be his ILBs for the next couple of years.

I am positive Dro89 was geing sarcastic. Again more reason for the sarcasm font to become a standard.

i doubt he wants to leave GB.. but skins should be interested considering GB runs a 3-4

He wanted out last year and was requesting a trade in the pre-season.

---------- Post added March-2nd-2011 at 02:59 PM ----------

He was a stud this year and the knock against him is he was bad in coverage but he proved that wrong with 3 ints and 10 passes defensed.

He wanted out last year and was requesting a trade in the pre-season.

---------- Post added March-2nd-2011 at 02:59 PM ----------

He was a stud this year and the knock against him is he was bad in coverage but he proved that wrong with 4 ints and 20 passes defensed.

A superbowl win makes many things better IMO.

I don't think he leaves Green Bay honestly.

The only reason I could see him leaving GB is because they may not be able to afford him after giving Desmond Bishop a 4-year extension a couple of months ago.

He's done in GB. They could have restructured instead of releasing him. Bishop and Barnett will be the starting inside LBs. Frankly, he wasn't worth the money he'd require.

This is worth looking into because we could sign him now (I believe). Does he have to clear waivers first? He's young, productive, knows the 3-4. Definitely worth a look.

---------- Post added March-2nd-2011 at 11:10 PM ----------

I think Poz signed some kind of tender already. Bills want to keep him.

Most of the tenders on 4 and 5 year players are likely to be meaningless once a new CBA is forged. The same goes for us and Chris Wilson. It's a hail mary by the teams to retain players, but it's expected that these players will become UFAs.

I'm not a fan of FA but Hawk makes sense for us short term and long term.

AJ plays in a very similiar defense and could come in and replace Rocky and play beside Fletcher.

Together Hawk and Fletcher would be smart tandem that would set the example and help develop our young LBs corps.

Hawk also provides a solid succession plan at a key leadership position for this defense.

When Fletcher retires Hawk would be then play beside Riley, Henson or Blades.

With Barnett and Bishop already locked up it would be difficult finding enough cap room or playing time for all 3. I think he'd be a great pickup as long as we don't get into a bidding war.

Tackling machine. He is very underrated because that's all he does. Just like London. RBs would fear seeing those two next to each other.

Experienced in the 3-4, young, no health problems. Even for the price he would rightfully command, this is a no brainer.

He's done in GB. They could have restructured instead of releasing him. Bishop and Barnett will be the starting inside LBs. Frankly, he wasn't worth the money he'd require.

This is worth looking into because we could sign him now (I believe). Does he have to clear waivers first? He's young, productive, knows the 3-4. Definitely worth a look.

---------- Post added March-2nd-2011 at 11:10 PM ----------

Most of the tenders on 4 and 5 year players are likely to be meaningless once a new CBA is forged. The same goes for us and Chris Wilson. It's a hail mary by the teams to retain players, but it's expected that these players will become UFAs.

You are right he can sign today if he wants to. You are also right on Barnett who is a free agent as well and the better player. If they do sign Hawk back it will free up Barnett if there is a FA period.

---------- Post added March-2nd-2011 at 03:23 PM ----------

why did he want out of Green Bay? to me that's a red flag

He wanted out because he was being phased out due the presence of Bishop in base packages and Chillar on third downs. It was believed he was weak against the pass but he proved everybody wrong.

He will resign with the Pack, I would bet on it.

---------- Post added March-2nd-2011 at 11:33 PM ----------

why did he want out of Green Bay? to me that's a red flag

He didn't want out of GB:

Linebacker A.J. Hawk was released Wednesday, a day before his $10 million guaranteed salary was due to hit the Green Bay Packers' books.

The Packers had been negotiating with Hawk for the past week or so, but the two sides couldn't reach a contract and so to prevent from having to pay him $10 million guaranteed this season, they released him.

According to a source familiar with the move, the two sides will continue talking up to the deadline for free agency Thursday night and that the release was strictly procedural. There will be no free agency if the owners and players don't reach an agreement on a collective bargaining agreement and the Packers won't be in danger of losing Hawk.

If there is no CBA by Thursday at 11 p.m., Hawk can't shop himself around the league. He wouldn't be able to do anything - including signing with the Packers - until there is a CBA.

The Packers announced the release with this statement from GM Ted Thompson: .“With A.J., the business side of the game is driving this decision. We’re hopeful that we can continue to work with A.J. to have him be a part of our team in the future.”

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/117271913.html

Archived