Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PRESS RELEASE: Clinton Portis Released

Genghis Khan

CP was a great back, but his time was up about 2 years ago....I only wish we could have got something for him in a trade, instead of out right releasing him. I mean we gave up Champ Bailey to get him, and now when he still has some name value we just let him go instead of shopping him around and seeing if we can pick up something.

Hell even a 6th rd draft pick would be better than nothing....especially with the help we need at multiple positions.

Too bad he didn't have another run longer than that until 2009, and even here he couldn't outrun Mike Sellers.
I hear this argument a lot: CP does not have many long runs on his resume, or something to that effect. I would point out that the opportunities a player gets for 60 yard runs are far fewer than the opportunities for 20 yard runs. CP had 33 runs of 20+ yards. I think that is good. Even that is a random stat though. A better measure would be the number of 100 yard games or 1000 yard seasons.
One of the All Time Great Redskins is now gone. Best of luck CP. His accomplishments are among the best in team history.

The run down:

2nd All time in Rushing Yards, Attempts, TDs.

19th All Time in Receptions

9th All Time in combined yards (rushing, receiving, returns).

Holds the team record for most 100 yard games (26).

Holds the team record for most yards in a season (2005). Holds top two spots.

Holds the team record for most 100 yard games in a season (9-2005)

Holds the team record for consecutive games with at least 125 yards rushing (5-2008)

Only player in team history to hold 4 of the top 10 spots in all time single season rushing (1st, 2nd, 8th, and 10th).

2nd in Team History for career yards per game average. 97.19 yards per game.

1st, by a mile, in Team History in career yards per game if you eliminate returners.

Well done CP. Well done....................and Thanks!!!!!

Look forward to seeing you inducted in the Ring of Fame in the future.

:owned:

[Losing Portis means that we'll] be left with a guy who, while looking good when he played, struggled in pass protection and is injury prone. The rest are a bunch of guys right now, not really showing much to me.

This is my biggest concern. Who replaces CP? Please tell me it is nobody on our current roster.

Doesn't hurt that Joe Gibbs himself said that CP was the best runner he ever had.

No it doesn't.

Great day for the franchise. The man known for a 5 game stretch 5 seasons ago is finally gone.

CP was known for a lot more than that, and I think you know it. See scruffylookin's post quoted above if you don't

We will surly miss all 4 of those explosive 40+ yard runs you bestowed upon us.
This again. What kind of BS stat is number of 40+ yard runs? Totally arbitrary. That is not how you measure a running back.

What about the number of 100 yard games, or the number of 1000 yard seasons, or career rushing totals? I always thought those were the best stats by which to measure a running back. You certainly get a better idea of what the runner accomplished this way, because you take a bigger sample.

Seriously, don't cherry-pick. It is intellectually dishonest.

It's a year late but I'm proud they finally pulled the plug on the last piece of that miserable era of Redskin football.

This miserable era belongs not to CP, nor any other player or coach, so much as it belongs to Dan Snyder. Snyder has been the one constant during this era of suckitude.

Here is the reality about those 7 years he was here...

When he was healthy he was the offense. He was the spoon that stired the coffee cup. He was awesome when he was healthy. Remember that first half of 2008 when we broke out to a 6-2 record? That was on CP's back. When he was running hard he was one of the very best in this teams history.

Your just hating to hate, CP didn't take us for a ride...we took him used and abused him and put him away wet and his body couldn't go anymore. That's life in the NFL.

Well said.

Nope.
I know it's the right thing to do, and probably should have been done a couple years ago. (points to sig). But still..........

:(

Farewell CP. Hope you land with a team that suits your running style best without running you into the ground halfway through the season. Ideally, a team that gives you a ring and a lot of recognition you deserve.

:notworthy:

Nice to see nothing changes around here.

I haven't posted for the past good few weeks until today (a little thing called "life" got in the way. Darn frustrating that); and here we are in what's naturally turned into an appreciation thread for a dude who, love him or hate him (and personally I never truly "loved" him for his off-field blow-up's. But I sure as heck respected what he did on the field for my team); nobody honest enough can deny ALWAYS gave EVERYTHING he had on the field for this organization; and still we get the complete boneheaded moron's amongst us trying to denigrate the dudes work on the day he leaves our passion.

Seriously, is it THAT hard to refrain from piling in and in so doing making yourself look a complete jack-ass in the process? I guess self-restraint and the message board culture just don't mesh.

Been said before and it'll be said again; With the lunatic's in the majority in many respects, we are, to all intents and purposes, just another fan base.

Hail.

Funny; my wife said to me today, "YES! No more screaming GO CP GO!". :ols:

That being said, Portis has been part of the losing culture...no denying that. These last two seasons were a bust and I honestly don't feel like Clinton cared 100%. This is my opinion only of course, but I think his lack of practice and his falling over during runs/sucking oxygen after a 10 yard gain had a negative effect on the younger guys towards the end.

I loved him in spurts; and disapproved of him as well just as much. A very polarizing figure for me.

That being said, thanks for your Redskin contributions. When he was "on", he was "on"! :helmet:

Actually, I felt he was trying to right the ship, so to speak, this past season. Another injury. Whaddya gonna do? Good luck, Clinton.

The crazy thing is how different a Portis we saw after he came back from injury after Torrain had his back to back 100 yard games. For a spurt, Portis really tried and you could see what kind of back he was. We hadn't seen that kind of effort or production in a while. You also saw why so often he didn't go for it. His body just couldn't do it anymore. He was playing "safe" because that was what he had to do to stay on the field.

Portis was a very good back for us. As I said earlier in this thread, I'll remember him for 2005 when he and the D put the team on their backs and just willed victories despite injuries fatigue and odds. That was an incredible testament to will and friendship.

Thanks CP for everything you did for this team. Thanks for all the heart you showed and being just an amazing pass blocking running back. I will miss your sense of humor too. You will truly be missed. I usually don't post a lot on this site I just read the threads but wanted to post something today because I was a huge Clinton Portis fan. Thanks again Clinton and you will be missed by this Redskins fan.

HTTR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This again. What kind of BS stat is number of 40+ yard runs? Totally arbitrary. That is not how you measure a running back.

What about the number of 100 yard games, or the number of 1000 yard seasons, or career rushing totals? I always thought those were the best stats by which to measure a running back. You certainly get a better idea of what the runner accomplished this way, because you take a bigger sample.

Seriously, don't cherry-pick. It is intellectually dishonest.

This miserable era belongs not to CP, nor any other player or coach, so much as it belongs to Dan Snyder. Snyder has been the one constant during this era of suckitude.

Well said.

I guess we were never told about the great explosion that CP was going to bring to the Redskins. I guess we were never told he was a game breaking home run threat right? That never happened did it? Thus 4 carries of 40 yards over 7 seasons is a relevant stat.

OK here's some more stats, you mentioned his 33 carries of over 20 yards, shocker that cherry picking in defense of CP is fine for you, all in 7 seasons. Well Adrian Peterson has 52 carriers in 4 seasons 14 carries of 40+, Chris Johnson 44 carries over 20 in 3 seasons and 14 carries of 40+. His 4.1 YPC comes up well short to Peteson's 4.8 and Johnson's 5.0 YPC's, hell Portis never sniffed 5.0 forget hitting 4.5 in any season here. Alright how about TD's, Portis has 46 in 7 seasons, AP has 52 in 4 and Johnson 34 in 3. In short Portis doesn't even measure up to the best RB's going. Hope that was a little more in depth.

He was a 2 year flash in the pan that never lived up to the hype. Just because you and most of the overly homer fanbase think this guy was some kind of elite once in a generation RB doesn't make it true. All Portis fans are good for is coming up with excuse after excuse, well I'm sorry I'm freaking happy as a Redskin fan that Portis is gone. No more hearing about how it's everyone else's fault CP can't run like he did in Denver, good riddance.

I do agree with you that Dan Snyder is the biggest problem with the franchise but unlike you I believe Portis was his biggest mistake and waste of money. Now you don't like that go to the appreciation thread and worship in peace.

OK here's some more stats, you mentioned his 33 carries of over 20 yards, shocker that cherry picking in defense of CP is fine for you, all in 7 seasons.
I presented that stat in a broader context, and I noted that it was not the most indicative stat.
Well Adrian Peterson has 52 carriers in 4 seasons 14 carries of 40+, Chris Johnson 44 carries over 20 in 3 seasons and 14 carries of 40+. His 4.1 YPC comes up well short to Peteson's 4.8 and Johnson's 5.0 YPC's, hell Portis never sniffed 5.0 forget hitting 4.5 in any season here. Alright how about TD's, Portis has 46 in 7 seasons, AP has 52 in 4 and Johnson 34 in 3. In short Portis doesn't even measure up to the best RB's going. Hope that was a little more in depth.
I would agree CP is no Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson, (or LT either), but very few backs are. It is easy to make a player look bad when you measure him against the best of the best.
He was a 2 year flash in the pan that never lived up to the hype. Just because you and most of the overly homer fanbase think this guy was some kind of elite once in a generation RB doesn't make it true. All Portis fans are good for is coming up with excuse after excuse, well I'm sorry I'm freaking happy as a Redskin fan that Portis is gone.

I do agree with you that Dan Snyder is the biggest problem with the franchise but unlike you I believe Portis was his biggest mistake and waste of money. Now you don't like that go to the appreciation thread and worship in peace.

OK there is a lot of hyperbole there, most of which is too over-the-top to merit a response, but I will mention one thing. You say Portis was Snyder's biggest mistake. I would mention a couple bigger mistakes: Dumping Brad Johnson, bringing in Jeff George, firing Marty after one season, keeping Vinny around so long, hiring Spurrier, and hiring Zorn. You also said CP was Snyder's biggest waste of money. More than Adam Archuletta the personal punt protector? More than Brandon Lloyd? Randle El? Deion Sanders? Albert Haynesworth? Snyder has a long history of overpaying players, but Portis is usually not part of that conversation.

OK here's some more stats, you mentioned his 33 carries of over 20 yards, shocker that cherry picking in defense of CP is fine for you, all in 7 seasons. Well Adrian Peterson has 52 carriers in 4 seasons 14 carries of 40+, Chris Johnson 44 carries over 20 in 3 seasons and 14 carries of 40+. His 4.1 YPC comes up well short to Peteson's 4.8 and Johnson's 5.0 YPC's, hell Portis never sniffed 5.0 forget hitting 4.5 in any season here. Alright how about TD's, Portis has 46 in 7 seasons, AP has 52 in 4 and Johnson 34 in 3. In short Portis doesn't even measure up to the best RB's going. Hope that was a little more in depth.

So, he's not good because he's not on the level of AP, CJ, and LT.

Just FYI, John Riggins career ypc average: 3.9

Emmitt Smith: 4.2

Walter Payton: 4.4

He was a 2 year flash in the pan that never lived up to the hype. Just because you and most of the overly homer fanbase think this guy was some kind of elite once in a generation RB doesn't make it true. All Portis fans are good for is coming up with excuse after excuse, well I'm sorry I'm freaking happy as a Redskin fan that Portis is gone. No more hearing about how it's everyone else's fault CP can't run like he did in Denver, good riddance.

Yeah, you're right. He's only the second leading rusher in Redskins history, has the second most total yards per game in Redskins history, behind a kick returner, and Joe Gibbs said that he was the best RB he's ever coached. But I guess those things don't mean a thing.

Wow, so Archuleta, Sanders, Haynesworth, Jeff George, Brandon Lloyd, Laverneus Coles were all smarter personnel moves, and less expensive? That's good to know, thanks for the revisionist history lesson.

Clinton Portis was a tremendous running back for us. He was without a doubt the best Redskin running back next to John Riggins, Larry Brown, and Ernest Byner. Portis gave it his all every Sunday and he did it with an below average offensive line through most of his Redskins tenure. I wish him the very best even he ends up with the Dallas Cowboys which I doubt will ever happen.

Archived