Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PRESS RELEASE: Clinton Portis Released

Genghis Khan

I presented that stat in a broader context, and I noted that it was not the most indicative stat.

I would agree CP is no Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson, (or LT either), but very few backs are. It is easy to make a player look bad when you measure him against the best of the best.

OK there is a lot of hyperbole there, most of which is too over-the-top to merit a response, but I will mention one thing. You say Portis was Snyder's biggest mistake. I would mention a couple bigger mistakes: Dumping Brad Johnson, bringing in Jeff George, firing Marty after one season, keeping Vinny around so long, hiring Spurrier, and hiring Zorn. You also said CP was Snyder's biggest waste of money. More than Adam Archuletta the personal punt protector? More than Brandon Lloyd? Randle El? Deion Sanders? Albert Haynesworth? Snyder has a long history of overpaying players, but Portis is usually not part of that conversation.

Just pointing out you used the same type of stat as I did.

Would you rather I compare CP to say a middle of the pack avg. back that his numbers compare more favorably to? There are three potential HOF RB's going and CP is no where near them.

The reason I say biggest mistake is because CP was brought in as the face and future leader of the franchise. He was sold to the fanbase as the most electrifying young RB in the league. Gibbs told us he was the best RB he had ever seen and was worth the deal. IMO he failed to deliver the goods. Others opinions differ and that's why I stayed out of the appreciation thread.

---------- Post added March-1st-2011 at 01:26 AM ----------

So, he's not good because he's not on the level of AP, CJ, and LT.

Just FYI, John Riggins career ypc average: 3.9

Emmitt Smith: 4.2

Walter Payton: 4.4

One, I can't believe you even mentioned Walter Payton in this discussion. In fact I don't even have a second point after reading that.

Really... Walter Payton?

Just for giggles, if you can find even one homer to back you that Portis belongs in the same discussion as Walter Payton I will mail you a couple bucks and buy you a beer. Now it has to be a clear factual based argument, not just "Portis is my favorite fathead so he has to be great" typical argument.

One, I can't believe you even mentioned Walter Payton in this discussion. In fact I don't even have a second point after reading that.

Really... Walter Payton?

I've had no part in this discussion, but what's wrong with Walter Payton? At one time the dude held every single major rushing record. I had to look this one up, but he had 9 Pro Bowl selections and 6 All-Pro selections.

Really--Walter Payton.

I've had no part in this discussion, but what's wrong with Walter Payton? At one time the dude held every single major rushing record. I had to look this one up, but he had 9 Pro Bowl selections and 6 All-Pro selections.

Really--Walter Payton.

No, I believe Payton is top 3 all time material. Apparently Hitman21st believes Portis is just as good, or at least debatable, because their career YPC are similar.

Well, the Clinton Portis era in Washington is officially over. Clinton did some great things as a Washington Redskin, and will go down as one of the best players to ever wear the burgundy and gold. I appreciate his efforts on the field over the years, and I wish him the best of luck.

However, I must admit I am relieved. Clinton's abilities on the football field can never be denied, but the other side of his time here...the goofiness...the undermining of coaches...just the drama surrounding him in general....combined with his inability to stay healthy in recent years and a baffling habit of seemingly deliberately falling down at the end of his runs really made this the time to move on.

For me, it's a shame that his career as a Redskin will largely be marked by an era of Redskins football that most of us can't wait to forget. (and that includes several of the years prior to his arrival)

No, I believe Payton is top 3 all time material. Apparently Hitman21st believes Portis is just as good, or at least debatable, because their career YPC are similar.

Oh I gotcha. Yea IMO Portis is easily in the discussion for best RB of his time (2002-2008), but he's at least a couple more great seasons and some playoff wins short of even being in the conversation for one of the greatest.

Portis was the least of our problems, and if you don't understand that, you are an idiot. Barry Sanders didn't do much to change the fortunes of the Lions, but that doesn't diminish his greatness. Portis was a great back run into the ground to cover for a passing game that has been mostly non-existant for the past decade.

Please dont use Barry and Portis in the same breath........CP is NOT a HOFer..............PERIOD

---------- Post added March-1st-2011 at 03:48 AM ----------

This Harvey fellow must have something personal against Portis, otherwise he wouldnt be putting so much time and effort into this thread. Whether you'd like to admit it or not, Portis has been the best back we've had in atleast 20 years.

You must be a history scholar cause your only 19 and you say 20 years.............How about Portis falling over with 1 guy to beat (v/s Rams I believe) because he was told to, to protect his injured hand or wrist. WHATEVER. Im glad hes gone, turn the page, hold your vigil and mourn.

Oh I gotcha. Yea IMO Portis is easily in the discussion for best RB of his time (2002-2008), but he's at least a couple more great seasons and some playoff wins short of even being in the conversation for one of the greatest.
If there is a better example of a player that was chewed up and spit out by the Snyder era hype machine known as the Washington Redskins, I can't think of him. Portis gave his all for different coaches, different schemes, and bad lines. You can try to compare him to Tomlinson, but he'll fall way short. If Portis enjoyed the continuity of talent that Tomlinson enjoyed in San Diego, they would have been neck and neck.

If there is a better example of a player that was chewed up and spit out by the Snyder era hype machine known as the Washington Redskins, I can't think of him. Portis gave his all for different coaches, different schemes, and bad lines. You can try to compare him to Tomlinson, but he'll fall way short. If Portis enjoyed the continuity of talent that Tomlinson enjoyed in San Diego, they would have been neck and neck.

If CP had remained in Denver, in the style he was made for, I think he'd have been a HOF back. Possibly better then LT. People forget that CP COMPLETELY changed his style, bulked up, slimmed down, did WHATEVER we asked of him and was productive.

Again, had he remained in Denver I saw him being a HOFer.

...but not by this one.:)

Whatever uncalled for vendetta folks have against the guy, "haters",to deny Clinton Portis as being the most electrifying rb this team has had and led us to some sort of success is denying your knowledge of football and being a fan in general.

Portis reminded me so much of a more explosive Stephen Davis. Davis, I think, was a better power runner, but Portis had a much better burst. They were both great backs on bad teams.

I'm a big fan of CP and I'm sad to see him go. But it was time.

Good luck, Clinton. You'll always be a 'Skin in my book.

Please dont use Barry and Portis in the same breath........CP is NOT a HOFer..............PERIOD

---------- Post added March-1st-2011 at 03:48 AM ----------

You must be a history scholar cause your only 19 and you say 20 years.............How about Portis falling over with 1 guy to beat (v/s Rams I believe) because he was told to, to protect his injured hand or wrist. WHATEVER. Im glad hes gone, turn the page, hold your vigil and mourn.

Really, that's the only thing you CHOOSE to remember about Portis?

Really, that's the only thing you CHOOSE to remember about Portis?

Dude, he was the backbone on a bad team, is that why everybody on the other side of the fence HOMERHYPES him? We did run him into the dirt and wasnt build for the NFC East. I do believe he packed it in under Zorn, but I dont care about that, I woulda been fed up also w/ brass at that point. You all liked his stupid costume sharades.....I DIDNT......maybe he put too much thought/energy into it for too long. I dont own a dog but didnt like how he defended Vick, didnt see him defending Big Ben. Everytime he opened his mouth he just sounded like a dumb jock that got through on ability (and now its gone), I dont think he worked hard in the offseason like you guys. Bulking up and slimming down, REALLY....his frame was only so big, you can only do so much w/ what ya got. If he added a bunch of muscle, why did he break down? I also think he packed it in last year. Same preMadonna type that didnt see eye2eye w/ a Shanny type coach who ISNT player sensitive. He is NOT a HOFer and doesnt belong in the ring of fame, he didnt win enough or elevate the team THAT much. He should be a "Redskin" to all of us as he spent most of his career here. If all of you embrace the new guy (Torain) maybe I could call you guys "true" fans, like Im not cause I dont hold CP's jock like most of you. YEAH, he was a beast of a blocker......WHOOOPPEEE

Dude, he was the backbone on a bad team, is that why everybody on the other side of the fence HOMERHYPES him? We did run him into the dirt and wasnt build for the NFC East. I do believe he packed it in under Zorn, but I dont care about that, I woulda been fed up also w/ brass at that point. You all liked his stupid costume sharades.....I DIDNT......maybe he put too much thought/energy into it for too long. I dont own a dog but didnt like how he defended Vick, didnt see him defending Big Ben. Everytime he opened his mouth he just sounded like a dumb jock that got through on ability (and now its gone), I dont think he worked hard in the offseason like you guys. Bulking up and slimming down, REALLY....his frame was only so big, you can only do so much w/ what ya got. If he added a bunch of muscle, why did he break down? I also think he packed it in last year. Same preMadonna type that didnt see eye2eye w/ a Shanny type coach who ISNT player sensitive. He is NOT a HOFer and doesnt belong in the ring of fame, he didnt win enough or elevate the team THAT much. He should be a "Redskin" to all of us as he spent most of his career here. If all of you embrace the new guy (Torain) maybe I could call you guys "true" fans, like Im not cause I dont hold CP's jock like most of you. YEAH, he was a beast of a blocker......WHOOOPPEEE

I agree with the first thing I underlined, disagree big time with the 2nd, and 3rd though. I hated when Clinton spoke to the media, just not a well versed, collective guy, and more often than not, came off embarrassing.

For the bulk, muscle thing, you do realize that his weight varied some 20lbs pending on the coach right? Also, I'm sure Jason Campbell appreciated his blocking skills. I know that should not be the focus of a teams running back, but in passing situations, its very helpful to have a back that helps protect the quarter back.

Overall, I like CP, and wish him well. I'll remember CP as a solid Redskin, who was an above average back, but never quite lived up to the hype. The latter certainly isn't all on him...this organization has been a mess for quite some time.

I'm not going to miss him. It's not his fault...he was a key piece of a Skins era where the team went absolutely nowhere. I have very fond memories of the Skins over the last decade plus so sadly I haven't really developed any affection for any of the players of this era.

Cutting him is a good move. I hope this is the start of a team-wide youth movement.

Archived