Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PRESS RELEASE: Clinton Portis Released

Genghis Khan

As a life-long Redskins fan, I say a reluctant goodbye...

Any true fan can do nothing but appreciate a guy that almost had to be protected from himself due to his work ethic, desire and commitment to his teamates.

CP ran himself into the ground here and for that he will be forever appreciated by the tru-blu's.

Thank You Clinton!!!

Whatever uncalled for vendetta folks have against the guy, "haters",to deny Clinton Portis as being the most electrifying rb this team has had and led us to some sort of success is denying your knowledge of football and being a fan in general.

Whatever, dude. I don't have a vendetta against the guy. I'm not a jersey guy, only own two. But take a guess who one of them is? I loved the guy when he first got here, but all the BS drama over the years finally took its toll. It got to a point where I just wasn't going to defend the guy anymore. He wasn't a "team" guy. You can't be when you repeatedly sit out practices, go on talk shows and rip teammates/coaches, etc I'm a REDSKINS fan. Its about the name on the front, not the one on the back. I don't feel he represented this team very well. Good riddance.

---------- Post added March-2nd-2011 at 02:05 AM ----------

Will miss CP! Nobody ran harder, and nobody in the NFL pass-blocked better! The guy gave everything on the field. Good luck Clinton!

Don't you mean, "Nobody slid better"?

I have been swaying back and forth on whether I should comment in this thread or not. I usually lurk and try to avoid any controversy, but I am so passionate about this topic. I watched Portis, when he was back in college. I followed his whole career, and for some reason, he stood out and has always been my favorite player. Throughout each year and each play, he left it all out on the field. I know a lot of people have issues with his behavior and rightfully so, but my blind passion for Portis always permitted me to sweep it away while others could not. I respect both sides of the arguments.

*Side note: With all the discussion of his sliding against the Rams, I would like to point out again how even though he should have gutted out those extra couple yards, the major blame for that play is on Moss. Moss did not hold his block, put in little effort, and permitted the corner to surprisingly get outside advantage while forcing Portis back into the middle of the field and contact.*

I have memorized every stat, every run, every fact about Portis, and I will openly say with all due respect, I am his biggest fan. No man is above the team though, and this passion oozes far more for the Redskins, but having the era of Portis come to an end has been hard for me. Hell, I actually wrote a three page open letter to vent. There are so many emotions I feel. It is silly, but I have my reasons as I expressed in my letter. It was hard living as a teenager and having my favorite player somehow end up on my favorite team during those crucial years was a stroke of luck I still cannot fathom. It is even harder because I associate memories of Portis with those of my late grandmother who raised me and shared my love of the game, so it is a deeper than usual pain. Every touch of the ball was an instance negative emotions would lighten. I only hope to somewhat justify my passion to not seem out there by stating all of this. I would give anything to have Portis accept a reduced role, swallow his pride, and finish his career as a Redskin, but in reality, I accept the split is probably needed and wish him and this organization the best.

Thank you so much Portis, and thank you so much Redskins. It may seem like just a player, team, or game, but all of which have served as a healthier than usual vice and distraction to so much. I am also thankful to be a part of such an amazing and respected fan base no matter how out there or drama filled we each are in our own ways.

:logo:

I will remember CP for his earlier years here, and not for the past couple. I don't like the fact that the last couple of years he did kinda pack it in, but really I can't blame the guy. We were still being run by the Vinny Show and Zorn was a freakin puppet that couldn't coach squat. In lieu of a rant I'll just say this, when healthy the guy put our team on his shoulders, he demanded it and performed at a Pro-Bowl level. That's what I'll remember him for; hard blocking, hard running, and a mentality that he was the guy to get us to the playoffs.

I hate people that don't follow the Redskins or the NFL and want to antagonize me about how CP leaving is really going to hurt the Redskins. LOL the guy hasn't really played since early 08' season IMO. We'll be okay.

I hate people that don't follow the Redskins or the NFL and want to antagonize me about how CP leaving is really going to hurt the Redskins. LOL the guy hasn't really played since early 08' season IMO. We'll be okay.

Yeah. I went to the away Giants game, and a Giants fan in the bathroom at half-time was like "where's Portis been this game, huh? Shut out by our defense, that's where!"

And I was like, "Do you even follow the NFL? Portis hasn't played for weeks. Have you been watching the game?" (paraphrased)

Luckily, all of his buddies started laughing at him. I say luckily, because those fans were mostly *******s, and I probably should have kept my mouth shut in a bathroom full of them.

Whatever, dude. I don't have a vendetta against the guy. I'm not a jersey guy, only own two. But take a guess who one of them is? I loved the guy when he first got here, but all the BS drama over the years finally took its toll. It got to a point where I just wasn't going to defend the guy anymore. He wasn't a "team" guy. You can't be when you repeatedly sit out practices, go on talk shows and rip teammates/coaches, etc I'm a REDSKINS fan. Its about the name on the front, not the one on the back. I don't feel he represented this team very well. Good riddance.

The only way you can say Portis didnt represent his team very well, is by saying he was more passionate and tried harder than anyone else.

This was the right move, no doubt. It was time to move on and it looks like CP26 career is very close to over. BUT

Portis was the heart and sole of the Redskins offense. During his time here, our entire success was based on Clinton. The team rode him to the playoffs. He put his body on the line time after time.

No other RB blocks like Portis does and no one does it with the consistency that Portis does, and he aint blocking for any top notch qbs either.

He wasnt running behind very good offensive lines. Portis had his flaws on the field no doubt (stumbling over his feet, not being able to house it etc.), but if we, as fans, cant give the man credit for putting it on the line for us, who will we ever be able to give credit to?

Portis was great with the fans too. He always stayed after practice to sign autographs. If you went to road games, he would find redskins fans and hang out for a bit prior to hitting the locker room.

Portis is the greatest redskin of this generation at a skill position. I say thank you Clinton, while i realize it was time for you to go, I really appreciate the thrills you have given me and other fans over the years. I hope you find your legs and have another great season, or get to play for a winner, you deserve it.

Was just reading an article about GB as a possible new location for him. Man o man its gonne be weird seeing him in another jersey.

Huh. I could see that. I would have thought they'd go with a guy in the draft to pair with Starks/Grant. But I could see it.

They'd have to account for his constant injuries lately, though. And I guess keeping Grant as well would do that. I just don't see what Portis does that Grant can't do (at THIS stage in his career, of course).

Huh. I could see that. I would have thought they'd go with a guy in the draft to pair with Starks/Grant. But I could see it.

They'd have to account for his constant injuries lately, though. And I guess keeping Grant as well would do that. I just don't see what Portis does that Grant can't do (at THIS stage in his career, of course).

The Packers are kings of dealing with, and overcoming, injuries. :silly:

We have been terrible ever since Portis got hurt in 2008.

I can't believe so many people are saying they don't blame Portis for "packing it in". That's ridiculous. There's NO good reason to ever pack it in in the NFL.

Ditto. After all, Portis "packing it in" is a big reason we weren't a success. The running back is one of the team's main engines. If it doesn't fire the team doesn't do that well.

*Side note: With all the discussion of his sliding against the Rams, I would like to point out again how even though he should have gutted out those extra couple yards, the major blame for that play is on Moss. Moss did not hold his block, put in little effort, and permitted the corner to surprisingly get outside advantage while forcing Portis back into the middle of the field and contact.*

moss may be guilty of not holding a block, but thats not the point. the point is that its never acceptable to give up on a play. youre a RB in the open field- you never slide to avoid contact. its unfathomable.

I can't believe so many people are saying they don't blame Portis for "packing it in". That's ridiculous. There's NO good reason to ever pack it in in the NFL.

this.

Archived