Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Were we interested in OJ Atogwe last year ?

MOSSthaBOSS

I cant remember if we were, or were we hoping kareem moore would be the guy, because with the rams releasing him today, i have to imagine we will at least throw a phone call his way due to the haslett connection. Then again he is about to be 30 years old. And with a defense built for turnovers, a guy that has gotten 21 the past 4 seasons would be a welcome addition.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/18/rams-let-go-of-atogwe-as-expected/

610x.jpg

Posted in the other thread, but I think this would be a good move for a moderate contract. Guy has proven he can play and he's technically 29... he'll be 30 during the summer.

Not a spring chicken but he can hold the spot for 3-4 years until we have time to find a good option to slide in there. FS seems like it's an easy spot to fill but we haven't come close since ST. Landry, Doughty, Moore, Barnes, Harris... etc.

Where are the "build only through the draft!!!!" people? :)

I actually think that picking up a FS, or maybe 2, to just plug that hole for the time being so they can plug other holes through the draft is a good idea. The Colts also release Bob Sanders, who also might be an option, but he's probably more expensive and more injured. Maybe sign both for low contracts? :)

FS should not be that hard to fill. You don't NEED a superstar in that position to have a great defense. It helps, sure, but it's more of a luxury than a necessity. You just need somebody competent, reasonable size, speed, and smart.

If we signed someone to wear #21 they would ask Sean's father if he could wear the # and Sean's father will say yes, and everything will be well with extremeskins nation..lol

But seriously FS is the second most glaring need we have on defense behind NT. If we don't sign Atogwe or Nnamdi Asomugha at CB we would be completely missing the boat. It would mean the official bottom of our franchise where we have both spent senseless money on free agents we didn't need and now passing on great free agents that we actually do need! I'm just concerned about our reputation. What veteran star free agent wants to come play for Mike Shanahan after last year?? :(

i think huff is finally putting it together and had a great year.. so. id go him..

He did have a very good year -- 94 tackles (77 solo), 3 Interceptions, 7 Passes Defended, 3 Forced Fumbles and 4.0 sacks. That came on the heels of a 2009 in which he posted 59 tackles (54 solo), 3 Interceptions and 14 Passes Defended.

But seriously FS is the second most glaring need we have on defense behind NT. If we don't sign Atogwe or Nnamdi Asomugha at CB we would be completely missing the boat. It would mean the official bottom of our franchise where we have both spent senseless money on free agents we didn't need and now passing on great free agents that we actually do need! I'm just concerned about our reputation. What veteran star free agent wants to come play for Mike Shanahan after last year?? :(

I'm not saying am upgrade at FS would not be nice but are you really saying you think FS is a bigger need that RDE, OLB and a starter to replace Rocky and or depth at ILB?

Front 7 is were we need to focus on defense before we start getting cute with the secondary IMO.

Posted in the other thread, but I think this would be a good move for a moderate contract. Guy has proven he can play and he's technically 29... he'll be 30 during the summer.

Not a spring chicken but he can hold the spot for 3-4 years until we have time to find a good option to slide in there. FS seems like it's an easy spot to fill but we haven't come close since ST. Landry, Doughty, Moore, Barnes, Harris... etc.

I don't mean to pick here but how in the world would we sign him to a moderate contract? Do you think the 6-10 Redskins will get a steal anytime soon? This guy is a giant fat ego. I would love him at FS, but it's not like no one else isn't trying to sign the guy. Let's do a quick lineup:

1. Big ego

2. Giant confusion as far as CBA agreement. This determines whether he signs before or after contract is done.

3. We pay big money to people.

4. It's not your money, why do you honestly care? I doubt we break the bank (Haynesworth or Archuletta) for him.

5. We're a losing team in the midst of confusion. No one will come here unless of course they get paid.

Per Rotoworld.

O.J. Atogwe - DB - Rams

Recently released FS O.J. Atogwe does not plan on signing with a team before March 3rd.

Released players such as Atogwe are free to sign immediately with any team before the CBA expires on March 3rd, but it appears the veteran safety will take some time to evaluate his future. Said Atogwe, "I would say I'm just going to take this time to let God speak to me and go from there. I am going to wait till the market opens and then go from there."

Source: St Louis Post-Dispatch

Feb 19, 12:02 PM

Archived