Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Were we interested in OJ Atogwe last year ?

MOSSthaBOSS

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but................

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/atogwe-leaves-redskins-park-wi.html

Posted at 3:57 PM ET, 02/22/2011

Atogwe leaves Redskins Park without signing

By Mike Jones

Free agent safety Oshiomogho Atogwe had a good meeting with Washington Redskins' coaches and officials today in Ashburn, but the six-year NFL veteran left Redskins Park without signing a contract, according to two sources with knowledge of the situation.Atogwe is a free agent after being released last Friday by the St. Louis Rams, who sought to avoid paying him an $8 million bonus. Atogwe is believed to be an ideal fit for the Redskins' system, and a move to Washington would reunite him with defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, who held the same position in St. Louis from 2006 to 2008.

It's unclear if the Redskins extended an offer to Atogwe today. Regardless, the player told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Friday that he hasn't ruled out a return to the Rams and that he intends to take his time and weigh all his options before making a decision on his future.

Around 4 p.m. Tuesday, Atogwe tweeted, "Redskins are a great organization. Enjoyed my time there today..."

Because no team holds his rights, Atogwe is free to sign anywhere now rather than have to wait until the official free agency signing period, which won't commence until there is a new collective bargaining agreement.

The Redskins are in the market for a free safety after starter Kareem Moore endured an injury-plagued season that caused him to miss the first two and the final two games. Moore tore ligaments in his right knee during the preseason and had surgery. He never fully recovered and was ineffective much of the year before winding up on the injured reserve list Dec. 29 and in need of a second surgery. The three-year veteran missed time during his rookie season because of knee surgery as well. The Redskins also still have Reed Doughty, who served as a backup at both safety positions last season.

Atogwe has recorded 22 interceptions in six years. His best season was 2007, when he recorded eight interceptions under Haslett. Last season, Atogwe recorded 73 tackles and three interceptions.

Like I said I didnt think he would sign today. It will essentially boil down to us and Buffalo IMO. We are the better fit and they will most likely be offering more money. We shall see which is more important to him...

---------- Post added February-22nd-2011 at 09:11 PM ----------

At least now I can get back to having a life and not being glued to freaking twitter all day...

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-report/article_8bd86b56-3ec3-11e0-9146-0017a4a78c22.html

Some people were up in arms about this move, chastising the front office for acting like they always have. Looks like they were exploring a very solid option but did it in a reasonable way. Perhaps people start trusting the fact that we have a real GM?

Nah, it's way more fun to see people freak out over nothing. I still hope OJ signs.

Why sad? If he wants to sign he will. At least were not overpaying.

I think the disappointment is in the fact that we have not been able to land any free agents when they visit. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we don't sign every free agent that comes through the door but if we can't close on a free agent then that's a problem as well.

In regards to overpaying, to some degree thats what free agency is all about. All things being equal, why would any free agents sign here? You have to be willing to ponyup a bit for the right guy in the right situation.

If we take this bring them in and let them leave approach when full free agency stats, we won't land any of the top guys.

As much as I want to see us signing him, I am glad we didn't try to over pay for him that's why he left. Like I said before, this new regime is not going to give big money to FA anymore.

I disagree. WHEN the new CBA is in place I think we will spend a good amount of money for 2 ot 3 FAs that we have our eye on.

Why sad? If he wants to sign he will. At least were not overpaying.

Yea I definitely didn't expect us to just keep throwing money on the table until OJ said okay, especially with Bruce running the show, but I was still hoping we'd manage to lock him up today with a reasonable contract. Atogwe would really be great for us at the FS position, but considering his age the people saying 5 years was too much IMO, I was crossing my fingers for a 4 year 20+ish mil range deal.

Oh well, guess not. RAS-I DOWLING in the second here we come baby! :point2sky

As much as I want to see us signing him, I am glad we didn't try to over pay for him that's why he left. Like I said before, this new regime is not going to give big money to FA anymore.

Free agency is a tool that needs to be utilized. Ignoring it because of past mistakes is a reactionary move based on failings of the previous front offices. London Fletcher, Marcus Washington, C. Griffin, were all good moves....We just have to be a little more selective in who we go after....

Free agent S O.J. Atgowe reportedly left his Redskins visit without a contract offer Tuesday.

Atogwe's agent is talking to multiple teams, so it's no surprise that the free agent didn't sign on his first visit. Atogwe's next stop may be Buffalo, where Bob Sanders visited Tuesday.

Related: Redskins

Source: St Louis Post-Dispatch

could still happen

just not yet, doubt it will, till the new CBA is reached.

It's actually a good thing if it was about price.

None of this overpaying crap anymore.

He'd really help the Redskins sure, but no need to overpay for this player.

I agree, was saying that "it's not good" for the group wanting him signed today. I agree, no need to overpay anyone. If he wants the cold in Buffalo more then cya.

Free agent S O.J. Atgowe reportedly left his Redskins visit without a contract offer Tuesday.

Atogwe's agent is talking to multiple teams, so it's no surprise that the free agent didn't sign on his first visit. Atogwe's next stop may be Buffalo, where Bob Sanders visited Tuesday.

Related: Redskins

Source: St Louis Post-Dispatch

could still happen

just not yet, doubt it will, till the new CBA is reached.

I disagree with the last part about not happening till after CBA is reached.....he has an advantage right now over all free agents, because he isn't claimed by a team so he can sign before the March 3rd deadline....he will go to the highest bidder when it comes. If he were to wait on the CBA to be signed he could be risking millions

It'll probably still happen. No reason to bid against yourself when you don't have to. Once he comes down on his offer it'll be a done deal.

---------- Post added February-22nd-2011 at 04:28 PM ----------

Plus, does he really want go play in Buffalo?

Because Buffalo has one of if not THE worst FO in the league. The more I think about it the more I see him going there. They are stupid and will make him a crazy offer which he wont be able to pass up.

Because Buffalo has one of if not THE worst FO in the league. The more I think about it the more I see him going there. They are stupid and will make him a crazy offer which he wont be able to pass up.

I thought you had read his facebook and knew that it wasn't about the money for OJ...

Not every player in the league is all about money. From reading OJs twitter and getting a read on his personality, I say he isn't one of those people.

I think the disappointment is in the fact that we have not been able to land any free agents when they visit. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we don't sign every free agent that comes through the door but if we can't close on a free agent then that's a problem as well.

In regards to overpaying, to some degree thats what free agency is all about. All things being equal, why would any free agents sign here? You have to be willing to ponyup a bit for the right guy in the right situation.

If we take this bring them in and let them leave approach when full free agency stats, we won't land any of the top guys.

In the end, I don't care. I want players who want to play here. Money and sales should be secondary. If he doesn't, then let money ruin there careers elsewhere. See haynesworth.

Why would he wait till the CBA? It'll have no affect on him.

Actually it would have the reverse affect on him. He's the only fish in the pond now. If there is no free agency he's the best answer for anyone needing safety help. Once the CBA is reached then then free agency starts and that one fish now has lots of others in the pond and loses his advantage. He signs before free agency begins

Yea but so what? That's going to happen with any of the young big names we go after. If they sign here great, if they take the $$$ from another team more desperate then us for them then congratulations on their payday.

I very much support this FO and the way it seems to be operating. From the outside looking in it looks like we're going to be willing to offer reasonable contracts to guys that we think fit here, we're just not willing to get into bidding wars / break the bank on them. We're building a team and FA can be used to help us do so, we're not trying to get that one guy to get us over the edge. I think the FO is well aware of that and is taking the right approach. I just hope we can do that and still manage to bring in some of the young talent available this years FA class.

Why would he wait till the CBA? It'll have no affect on him.

Right no affect on him, but wont it affect the team, maybe Bruce wants to see what he can do before we pull the trigger on OJ. Also I've noticed players have not signed with new teams at this point, teams are re-signing their current players but thats all I've seen.

Have any recently cut players signed with a new team?

So what happened to all of the "he just has to pass a physical", and "this is more than just kicking the tires" talk? What changed so dramatically that people were implying that a signing was near if not imminent, to Atogwe leaving to visit other teams? Not saying it won't happen, but this is a big change from what we were hearing last night and earlier today.

Archived