Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Were we interested in OJ Atogwe last year ?

MOSSthaBOSS

I bet we don't land him. Allen won't break the bank, not this early and with the uncertainty of 2012 and beyond. I'm thinking he'll stay a Ram.

I think whom every gets him will end up with the buyer's curse (to borrow an oldfan ism). Who ever wants him will have to be willing to pay. I hope that we stand our ground here.

---------- Post added February-24th-2011 at 11:43 AM ----------

He's worth a 4 yr/24 million dollar contract. He can ball hawk for another 4 years.

He's worth top 5 FS money? Come on. That more than Dawkins or Reed makes per year.

I think whom every gets him will end up with the buyer's curse (to borrow an oldfan ism). Who ever wants him will have to be willing to pay. I hope that we stand our ground here.

---------- Post added February-24th-2011 at 11:43 AM ----------

He's worth top 5 FS money? Come on. That more than Dawkins or Reed makes per year.

That's just my opinion, Tris as you are entitled to yours. Dawkins is finished as far as I'm concerned and Reed is on the downward spiral of his career.

To be honest, I don't see the big deal of paying a talented player one or two million more than an opposing team. As long as the contract isn't outrageous (Haynesworth) then it is actually a valuable move. I mean, think about how that extra million will translate into: Acquiring Atogwe would essential improve the play of ALL of our corners, immediately removes one of many holes in our defense, and avoids investing one of our precious draft picks. I would say that is worth the money. Not to mention the fact that we made cap-space so that it can be used lol. And I doubt the contract will be so massive that we wont be able to sign other key players and 2nd teer talent as the off-season progresses.

The problem is in the past, our front office would outrageously outbid other teams resulting in getting a player whose market value was way less than what we paid! Clearly this regime isn't doing that based on last year's moves and allowing OJ to assess his options. BUT part of the game of FA is offering deal that is slightly sweeter than the rest of the bidders. Now...the reason why we should offer a slightly sweeter deal is because, on top of the fact that he his skilled at his position, OJ is actually worth more to us than other teams for the above mentioned points (improves other players, fills a hole, saves a draft spot, cap space availability).

So all I am saying is that he is worth a one or two mill more than what the rams are offering... And btw the the Rams are clearly not offering anything too outrageous or else they would have never cut him in the first place.

The guy had 16 pass deflections and 8 picks in 10 games. I wouldn't say he's on a downward spiral.

He had an exceptional season last year but he's been banged up the last couple of years and he's 32. Atogwe hasn't had the injuries and is roughly 3 years younger as Reed turns 33 in early Sept..

That's just my opinion, Tris as you are entitled to yours. Dawkins is finished as far as I'm concerned and Reed is on the downward spiral of his career.

Exactly the reason we shouldn't be signing a player to a contract where they will be making 8 mil a year when they are in a similart downward spiral.

Unless you think he is going to somehow improve with age.

Where's the "uh oh" part?

Tell you what. You bring your inside info to the table or maybe you don't read mine & hush. You be the new "insider". Let's see how well you do. :munchout:

LOL!!!! I saw your twitter page and everyone bashing you for that comment.

People should stay quiet and stop getting there panties wet, because now you don't post anything anymore.

Exactly the reason we shouldn't be signing a player to a contract where they will be making 8 mil a year when they are in a similart downward spiral.

Unless you think he is going to somehow improve with age.

Let me see mathmatics 101, 4x6=24 capice? So that would be 6 mill a year.:) To me, he's worth that.

He's worth a 4 yr/24 million dollar contract. He can ball hawk for another 4 years.

Yeah, he was very happy with a 5yr / $32m deal last year when he eventually re-signed for the Rams, so $6m per year seems about right.

Having him around for 4 or 5 years would be great.

I don't think the Rams will give up without a major fight though...

Yeah' date=' he was very happy with a 5yr / $32m deal last year when he eventually re-signed for the Rams, so $6m per year seems about right.

Having him around for 4 or 5 years would be great.

I don't think the Rams will give up without a major fight though...[/quote']

It's been said it will either be us or the Yams.

Let me see mathmatics 101, 4x6=24 capice? So that would be 6 mill a year.:) To me, he's worth that.
I am thinking more like $5M/season. 4 year, $20M, $5M signing bonus sounds good. $3.75 in base salary each year, $1.25M in Signing bonus pro-rated over the 4 years. If the Rams start bidding, take the signing bonus up to $7M. Anything longer than 4 years for a 30 year old starts to get us into Vinny territory of having an old, bloated roster. If the Rams offer him 5/$30M, shake his hand and congratulate him on striking oil.

Why would the Rams cut him when he had $24M remaining on his $32M contract he signed last year only to resign him to $30M contract?

This is why hes not going to be a ram. Also, you think he has forgotten what theyve done to him?

I also think its stupid for you guys to question one of the few good sources we have for info. If hes wrong, hes wrong but you get these guys annoyed and all info, right or wrong, is gone.

This is why hes not going to be a ram. Also, you think he has forgotten what theyve done to him?

I also think its stupid for you guys to question one of the few good sources we have for info. If hes wrong, hes wrong but you get these guys annoyed and all info, right or wrong, is gone.

Agreed on all points.

At least we have some excitement and some more-accurate-than-not information coming from some pretty dedicated people. While not everything that has been said by TK or LL56 or JStleelz has always happened, EVERYTHING that has happened is something that I heard from them way beforehand.

Why would the Rams cut him when he had $24M remaining on his $32M contract he signed last year only to resign him to $30M contract?
I don't think they will. But if they have to resign him and the Skins have an offer on the table, they might be willing to go to 5 years. Remember, he was due an $8M roster bonus this year, which is what drove the Rams to release him. They structured his contract in a horrible way.

So they didn't have to pay $8M cash today and his salary for the upcoming year. Probably totaling $11M ish. This way, they will probably pay less cash this coming season. The Rams are a much smaller market, there for real dollars affects them way more than us.

But, I do not want to give him any more than $6-$7M (and thats stretching it) in guaurentueed money. If the cap comes back, that is the only number I care about. This is where I agree with you Tris. Stop giving un-cuttable contracts.

So they didn't have to pay $8M cash today and his salary for the upcoming year. Probably totaling $11M ish. This way, they will probably pay less cash this coming season. The Rams are a much smaller market, there for real dollars affects them way more than us.

I understand why the Rams did what they did. I think the main point here is that the player decides where he signs, its not just up to the team. Why would he be ok with this? Its not like hes on the Packers and knows that to stay on a winning team he should take a cut. He played for the Rams. The scenerio I described is about the only situation where players will get cut and take a new, cheaper salary.

You will say that the new contract is for more years, but guess what, so will any contract he signs from another team. One who may win, or at least pay him more money.

I understand why the Rams did what they did. I think the main point here is that the player decides where he signs, its not just up to the team. Why would he be ok with this? Its not like hes on the Packers and knows that to stay on a winning team he should take a cut. He played for the Rams. The scenerio I described is about the only situation where players will get cut and take a new, cheaper salary.

You will say that the new contract is for more years, but guess what, so will any contract he signs from another team. One who may win, or at least pay him more money.

Bro, I was just answering his question. I am not saying one is smarter than the other.

But, don't count the Rams out. They have a up and coming star QB and have a lot more upside as a team than we do. The only thing we have is Haslett going in our favor.

I am thinking more like $5M/season. 4 year, $20M, $5M signing bonus sounds good. $3.75 in base salary each year, $1.25M in Signing bonus pro-rated over the 4 years. If the Rams start bidding, take the signing bonus up to $7M. Anything longer than 4 years for a 30 year old starts to get us into Vinny territory of having an old, bloated roster. If the Rams offer him 5/$30M, shake his hand and congratulate him on striking oil.

The bolded part would be perfection, the italicized-underlined I 100% agree with. I was hoping we could pull off something very similar to or pretty much exactly the numbers you mentioned with Atogwe, as a result locking up our safety positions for the next few years (granted we throw big money at Laron when he's due his extension).

Cheers bro, I'm hoping our FO works like that all offseason and still manages to bring in some key young talent while building this team.

:cheers:

Bro, I was just answering his question. I am not saying one is smarter than the other.

But, don't count the Rams out. They have a up and coming star QB and have a lot more upside as a team than we do. The only thing we have is Haslett going in our favor.

No worries, I was just explaining why OJ wouldnt be down with that.

I agree with you on the Rams, I meant more short term than that. My only point was they dont have the draw of a one player away from a super bowl. I dont think either us or the Rams are in that situation. ;)

Archived