Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Were we interested in OJ Atogwe last year ?

MOSSthaBOSS

Dallas makes sense considering this news about one of their safeties...

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=6166808

Marcus Spears, Sensabaugh to test FA

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Dallas Cowboys will let defensive end Marcus Spears and safety Gerald Sensabaugh test the free agent marketplace before offering those players new deals, if at all, a source close to the team said Monday.

The Cowboys have interviewed several defensive ends and safeties at the Senior Bowl and national scouting combine as possible replacements.

click on the link to read the entire article

Looks like the price tag might be going up on OJ per ESPN Insider. Just speculation, but hard to ignore Mayock and Wes Bunting's comments.

"As the NFL Scouting Combine wound down today, one safety after another left a lukewarm impression on observers in attendance. NFL Netork analyst Mike Mayock summarized it thusly for the National Football Post's Aaron Wilson: "This is a real bad safety group."

Wes Bunting, the NFP's Director of College Scouting, agreed, saying "Brutal safety class.....can anyone run?" and that he wouldn't take any safety in this class ahead of anyone from the first three rounds of the 2010 draft."

Insider link: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors

Twitterings:

http://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/42636842184609793#

http://twitter.com/WesBunting/status/42636677776289792#

http://twitter.com/WesBunting/status/42643362158870528#

Sorry, but I didn't read all 19 pages....Why not try Kevin Barnes at FS? He looked pretty good when he played in emergency duty last year. Save the free agency money for the lines!

i think haslett isnt convinced he's the long term solution at FS. he coached atogwe and likes him alot. the 3-4 excels with a playmaker at FS, and atogwe seems to fit the bill. imagine this D with a good FS- could be the difference between 'the 32nd ranked D', and a '20 something ranked D that made game changing plays'.

Sorry, but I didn't read all 19 pages....Why not try Kevin Barnes at FS? He looked pretty good when he played in emergency duty last year. Save the free agency money for the lines!

CB more valueable then FS and there a chance that Barnes will be CB2 at the very least he'll be a nickel back which is basically a starter anyway.

St. Louis let safety O.J. Atogwe's contract expire, making him a free agent. Even though there is talk about bringing him back, that isn't the Rams' first choice, a league source said. They really like Atogwe and think he is a nice player, but they are trying to get more physical at the position and might try to find more of a thumper and playmaker.

That said, look for St. Louis to consider outside linebackers with some of their early picks in the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/09000d5d81e8e975/article/newton-makes-headlines-gabbert-garners-teams-attention?module=HP_spotlight

good news for us.

I'm sorry, but I just don't think nfl.com should have a blurb on it with the phrase "he is a nice player". I've always thought of that use of the term "nice" as slang, and its pretty unprofessional to have that in an article.

Just a pet peeve :ols:

CB more valueable then FS and there a chance that Barnes will be CB2 at the very least he'll be a nickel back which is basically a starter anyway.

I agree with you, but I thought they think Barnes is too slow to play CB

Remember when we were supposedly just about to sign him pending a physical??? LOL. We aren't getting this guy.

That was never said. He always had another visit lined up after the Skins. It was implied that he'd get a solid OFFER from us pending a physical. And I'm sure he did. Doesn't mean we're going to overpay, or were ever planning to.

That was never said. He always had another visit lined up after the Skins. It was implied that he'd get a solid OFFER from us pending a physical. And I'm sure he did. Doesn't mean we're going to overpay, or were ever planning to.

Oh come on man what was implied is that we were going to get him very soon. I think the fact that it was never said outright is the only defense incase it doesn't happen then you can always go "well i never actually SAID that"....And perhaps for good reason, but still the impression was that it was on the verge of being complete.

Oh come on man what was implied is that we were going to get him very soon. I think the fact that it was never said outright is the only defense incase it doesn't happen then you can always go "well i never actually SAID that"....And perhaps for good reason, but still the impression was that it was on the verge of being complete.

And I'm sure it would have been, if he had liked our contract offer. And being one of the few players available right now, and good at his position, I'm not surprised that he wanted to test the market more.

Its your own fault if you built up expectations based on what the insiders said...its a pretty well-known fact that you have to be open to the possibility of it "falling through" or just not working out immediately. That's why they don't say very many definitive things.

Otherwise, if you don't look at it that way, its almost impossible to appreciate/enjoy the info these guys drop.

For instance, TK's said multiple times that if there's a FA period, look for Ryan Harris to be signed. That doesn't mean that that info can't be ruined by another team throwing a ridiculous offer out there.

Still think Oj ends up here. It's hard to be definitive unless you have a relationship with the player and team. In the past we have had a fa player come in for a visit, appear to want to sign and get our best offer then call his old team and they matched it. Our teams interest is there and Oj I'm sure is interested as well from what I've heard. He's allowed to look around and find what he and his family think is the best situation. A lot of uncertainty with the cba as well so relax.

Still think Oj ends up here. It's hard to be definitive unless you have a relationship with the player and team. In the past we have had a fa player come in for a visit, appear to want to sign and get our best offer then call his old team and they matched it. Our teams interest is there and Oj I'm sure is interested as well from what I've heard. He's allowed to look around and find what he and his family think is the best situation. A lot of uncertainty with the cba as well so relax.

good call

Wow... we didn't overpay according to profootballtalk.com

"For once, it appears the Redskins did not brutally overpay. Also garnering offseason interest from the Broncos, Bills, and Cowboys, Atogwe’s annual average of $5.2 million sounds reasonable for a safety who has accounted for the third most turnovers among NFL defensive backs over the past five seasons. (Only Charles Woodson and Ed Reed have more.)"

Archived