Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Were we interested in OJ Atogwe last year ?

MOSSthaBOSS

So what happened to all of the "he just has to pass a physical", and "this is more than just kicking the tires" talk? What changed so dramatically that people were implying that a signing was near if not imminent, to Atogwe leaving to visit other teams? Not saying it won't happen, but this is a big change from what we were hearing last night and earlier today.

Just talk... trending?

I don't mind being frugal but if he could have helped and provided vetran leadership to a core that was missing something last year then I am not sure this is a good thing .

One thing I always hated about Allen which I thought was a function of the Glazers was the bucs always seemed $50 million under the cap ...

It appears that Atogwe is interested in ensuring he gets the best deal for himself and his family, which is wise. He is smart to visit all interested teams.

And we are smart to not just give him an overwhelming offer that MUST be taken immediately. Still think our FO hasn't changed much?

Just because you have cap space does not mean you need to spend it.

---------- Post added February-22nd-2011 at 05:15 PM ----------

And we are smart to not just give him an overwhelming offer that MUST be taken immediately. Still think our FO hasn't changed much?

Yesterday, when confirmed rputable sources are saying "if all goes right, he won't leave DC", yes.

Today, better news.

What the future holds when/if FA begins in earnest, remainds to be seen.

Just because you have cap space does not mean you need to spend it.

If we don't get Otogwe I think we need to roll the dice on Kevin Barnes. Bob Sanders, Champ Bailey and Huff don't seem like the answer to me.

I also have completely given up on Kareem Moore, he was a giant liability when he was in there.

If we don't get Otogwe I think we need to roll the dice on Kevin Barnes. Bob Sanders, Champ Bailey and Huff don't seem like the answer to me.

I also have completely given up on Kareem Moore, he was a giant liability when he was in there.

I still believe we get Atogwe, but if not, I would prefer to sign a veteran CB or FS (Brodney Pool?) to a short term deal (2 years max), and have him, Moore, Harris, etc battle it out in TC.

For a rebuilding team to give up on a player after only 12 starts, 11 of which were on a less than 100% knee seems awful rash to me.

I still think we'll get OJ. By all accounts he his a stand-up guy. I think he's going to make any and all appointments that he has set up and maybe he'll take his time... but having Haslett and being able to offer a competitive contract should get this done.

I'd like to see Barnes given a shot to develop at corner. With Rogers most likely gone and Buchannon a FA, we need to see what this kid has at his original position. Also it remains to be seen about Moore. He looked horrible out there at times, but perhaps he was unable to mentally compensate for his injuries, causing him to be a step or three behind, which made his angles look that much worse.

All the more reason for OJ. Let Moore try to develop and Barnes focus on being the best CB he can be.

Watch Barnes look awesome in TC, earn a starting spot, then injury his knee in preseason.

Then watch him struggle throughout the year, and this time next year, people declare him a bust.

That would be ironic.

Barnes looked better out of position than Moore has ever looked in his natural positon...training camp and pre-season are alot different than the regular season. Do you disagree that Moore was a straight up liability back there?

I disagree. WHEN the new CBA is in place I think we will spend a good amount of money for 2 ot 3 FAs that we have our eye on.

Once again, you are basing on the past regime. If Vinny is still here, do you think Atogwe left without signing? Yes, we will sign FA once the new CBA is done. No, we won't give huge contracts out like in the past. And if we do, it's better be on younger players. But based on Shanahan and Bruce past, I doubt we will give out big contracts just because we need those players. Last year everyone said we are after Peppers and we didn't.

Free agency is a tool that needs to be utilized. Ignoring it because of past mistakes is a reactionary move based on failings of the previous front offices. London Fletcher, Marcus Washington, C. Griffin, were all good moves....We just have to be a little more selective in who we go after....

I never say not to go after FA. All I am saying is we need to be smarter and sign younger players with smart contract, unlike in the past. We have limited picks this year so we must go after some FA also to fill the holes. I am all for that.

Barnes looked better out of position than Moore has ever looked in his natural positon...training camp and pre-season are alot different than the regular season. Do you disagree that Moore was a straight up liability back there?

Go watch the 2009 Saints game.

He struggled through a knee injury all season, having a second surgery after the year ended. Do you disagree that he was less than 100% all year, and that may have contributed to his issues?

Should he be the guaranteed starter? Hell no. But he certainly should be in the mix to compete for the starting job, a job he earned before last season. The bottom line is, we don't know if that was Moore the injured guy last year, or that's just who he is. But for a team without a QB, not competing for a Super Bowl, we are in no position to give up on a young player after 12 starts.

He struggled through a knee injury all season, having a second surgery after the year ended. Do you disagree that he was less than 100% all year, and that may have contributed to his issues?

If it entirely just his injury that caused him to look out of place, then why is the FO trying to replace him? Haslett and company are probably aware that FS play was sub par last year and strongly feel there is no1 on the current roster that can fill this spot.

It may have been a contributing factor but I don't think it is enough not to think about upgrading the FS position. If the Skins brass thought Kareem Moore could be 80% of Otogwe I don't think we would be having this conversation right now because we wouldnt be in the market for a new FS. Its obvious that the Skins FO thinks there needs to be a talent upgrade at FS.

Should he be the guaranteed starter? Hell no. But he certainly should be in the mix to compete for the starting job, a job he earned before last season. The bottom line is, we don't know if that was Moore the injured guy last year, or that's just who he is. But for a team without a QB, not competing for a Super Bowl, we are in no position to give up on a young player after 12 starts.

Piss poor tackling and horrible angles to the ball carrier are not cause by a knee injury sorry.

If the Skins brass thought Kareem Moore could be 80% of Otogwe I don't think we would be having this conversation right now because we wouldnt be in the market for a new FS. Its obvious that the Skins FO thinks there needs to be a talent upgrade at FS.

Correct, Atogwe could have been signed last year as an UFA. But we didn't dive in & sign him then. Now, following a 'year' of evaluation from the staff, they deem an upgrade at FS is needed.

Seems the obvious call to me.

I think what's escaping a lot of people is that we can't afford to overpay Atogwe, because we have to lock Landry up after this season. We really have no leverage if we gave Atogwe a ridiculous contract.

Moore seems to be a nice guy, but if he wasn't already a Skin, no one in the world would pass up Atogwe to play a 6th round safety that showed flashes in training camp and preseason,but most importantly is a liability when it matters.

2009 was under a different defensive system. Just like Haynesworth doesnt fit, maybe Kareem doesnt? I am not saying that is the case, but one would have to think that.

2009 was under a different defensive system. Just like Haynesworth doesnt fit, maybe Kareem doesnt? I am not saying that is the case, but one would have to think that.

The switch from the 4-3 to the 3-4 doesn't really effect the safeties and corners like it does the front 7. Moore was never the same after his injury and could bounce back to 08 &09 form but i would still sign OJ for the right price.

It's not hard to start putting it all together. He had already arranged to visit Buffalo before he came here.

He met the coaches, toured the facility and took his physical. It's a process but nobody has said there aren't parameters of a contract laid out.

Can't see Buffalo as a better landing spot, working with unknown coaches/system versus here working with Hass again.

Archived