Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Were we interested in OJ Atogwe last year ?

MOSSthaBOSS

Well, everyone takes a physical. Of course, you know that. He had a dislocated right shoulder in 2009. It was pretty severe and there were rumors that he had surgery (I don't know if he did). But, that is the only thing I have seen.

Right...I know that they all take physicals. I guess, based on his wording, I just assumed that it was a done deal pending the physical. Thanks for the information re: his injury history. You wouldn't think that a shoulder issue from 2 years ago would still have any impact on him today.

See, that's why I think he'd fit. We have our hard hitter already. We need someone that can cover and has range.

There has to be a reason Spags played him more at SS last year than FS. You do not move a guy that has the ball hawking skills that he does down in the box unless there are serious issues with his open field tackling. It is easier to find a guy to play in the box than a guy to take advantage of the open field.

I am not oppsed to him coming here, as long as he is paid at a reasonable price.

He said he wanted to return to the Rams after he was cut. He wanted to rework his deal. I did not notice any negotiations taking place between the two parties. Spags is no dummy and if he thinks this guy is not good enough to be re-signed, then I question whether or not we should go after him.

Only if Landry changed his number cause no one is getting #21 anytime soon.

I hope he wears 21 just so everyone will finally let it die. He wasn't the only person to wear 21 nor the person to wear it the longest. Sadly he is gone, and we have let the number lay domant long enough to honor his death, now i say let someone deserving wear it and lets move on.

I hope he wears 21 just so everyone will finally let it die. He wasn't the only person to wear 21 nor the person to wear it the longest. Sadly he is gone, and we have let the number lay domant long enough to honor his death, now i say let someone deserving wear it and lets move on.

Disagree. But that doesn't matter. I think of Atogwe is signed, he would be dumb to put that number on. Too large of a shadow and also will lose support as some fans just aren't over it.

What's the latest tweets etc. on this?
Nothing. Checked and no new news.

I wish that the other Atogwe thread weren't closed, but whatevs.

This is what I've found:

Burgundy BroodingBurgundy.com

I predict that OJ Atogwe will be a Redskin by tomorrow. No hard facts, just a couple little clues and a hunch. (2 hours ago)

Also from TK's twitter ( http://twitter.com/#!/TKextremeskins ), it sounds like something's happening. Not right now maybe, but within a day.

I wish that the other Atogwe thread weren't closed, but whatevs.

This is what I've found:

Burgundy BroodingBurgundy.com

I predict that OJ Atogwe will be a Redskin by tomorrow. No hard facts, just a couple little clues and a hunch. (2 hours ago)

Also from TK's twitter ( http://twitter.com/#!/TKextremeskins ), it sounds like something's happening. Not right now maybe, but within a day.

I hope this doesn't mean he wants to take this offer back to the Lambs as a bargaining chip. :(

Disagree. But that doesn't matter. I think of Atogwe is signed, he would be dumb to put that number on. Too large of a shadow and also will lose support as some fans just aren't over it.

Nah, man I really don't think so. There'd be a couple of people who are upset at first, then people would get used to it and move on. It'd be good for the fan base actually.

Nah, man I really don't think so. There'd be a couple of people who are upset at first, then people would get used to it and move on. It'd be good for the fan base actually.

Again, I can't speak for the 90,000 people who fill that stadium. But I am not sure it would be smart for Atogwe. It would be different if it was someone drafted and was a Skin to start with.

I think a percentage of seans 21 jerseys and other items go to his daughter.

I will always relate 21 to Sean Taylor, he was my favorite defensive player in High School (and still is), but I do agree that it is time to move on. They can keep making Sean Taylor 21 jerseys to sell. I know I would buy one.

Its no wonder Dan Snyder has no problem tossing money at FA's

Look at the reaction on the board the last 2 days.

I have said it, I really like OJ and yes I know the regime is different (Bruce Allen setting contracts rather then Dan and Vinny) but this really flies in the face of anything our team actually needs to do.

Rant over

Dan Snyder isn't doing anything but signing the checks. Besides, I'd rather have the problem of a free spending owner as opposed to one that refuses to spend.

Last year was an evaluation period, and Shanahan decided he didn't want to go into next year with Moore as the starter. We have approximately $51 mil of cap space...if it comes down to it, I'd rather pay to have Atogwe than keep the Moore/Doughty rotation of suckiness...which makes us worse defensively in the name of being 'thrifty.'

What exactly have Moore or Doughty shown to give you confidence that they be anything but weaknesses on this defense?

I hope this doesn't mean he wants to take this offer back to the Lambs as a bargaining chip. :(

No TK was quoting what Burgandy was saying when he said he thinks OJ will be a skin by tomorrow and TK replied asking him his source. TK didn't say the part about thinking he will be a skin by tomorrow

Dan Snyder isn't doing anything but signing the checks. Besides, I'd rather have the problem of a free spending owner as opposed to one that refuses to spend.

Last year was an evaluation period, and Shanahan decided he didn't want to go into next year with Moore as the starter. We have approximately $51 mil of cap space...if it comes down to it, I'd rather pay to have Atogwe than keep the Moore/Doughty rotation of suckiness...which makes us worse defensively in the name of being 'thrifty.'

What exactly have Moore or Doughty shown to give you confidence that they be anything but weaknesses on this defense?

I think its far far too early to give up on a guy in Moore after 1 season of starting, a good chunk of which he was injured.

I am not a particular fan of signing a 30 year old to a potential long term deal

I think its far far too early to give up on a guy in Moore after 1 season of starting, a good chunk of which he was injured.

I am not a particular fan of signing a 30 year old to a potential long term deal

It would be a huge mistake to rely on Moore. IMO, he shouldn't even be guaranteed a roster spot. I think he has potential but has not shown an ability to stay healthy and his tackling was awful. Atogwe has three things going to for him make him a player we should sign:

1. Familiarity with the coaching staff- played under Haslett

2. Fills a need- No question about that

3. Veteran- Some may view him turnign 30 as a negative but I don't. I think the secondary has lacked a veteran professional presense the past few years, and hopefully OJ can provide that.

---------- Post added February-22nd-2011 at 08:29 PM ----------

I doubt he would wear #21, if that's what we are discussing, just jumping hard in. I'm sure his number, much like others who aren't retired are on the can not be worn list.

I'd prefer we do what other teams have done and recognize the jersey but unretire all numbers.

If he was still around, was it your plan to cut ST in 2 years? Or Landry in 3?

Even when Moore was healthy, putting him in a starting role was a stretch. Him taking terrible angles to running backs and missing tackles had nothing to do with his knee, and everything to do with bad football. Bottom line is Moore hasn't done anything to warrant that kind of loyalty from anyone, especially at the expense of our defense.

Archived