Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Were we interested in OJ Atogwe last year ?

MOSSthaBOSS

Doughty really isn't a bad SS.

But he's a terrible FS. Him and Moore have had plenty of opportunities to show that they are not starters you can rely on.

Atogwe would be great for our younger players, especially Landry and Hall. Not to mention he's still a top 5 FS...

Doughty really isn't a bad SS.

You're joking right? He is atrocious. He belongs in the CFL. Absolutely no athleticism or coverage ability. He needs to be cut.

*ah you said SS...well he is serviceable there, but I'd rather move Laron down in the box and get someone to play FS...something Doughty can't do. Good guy, terrible at FS. :/

Its no wonder Dan Snyder has no problem tossing money at FA's

Look at the reaction on the board the last 2 days.

I have said it, I really like OJ and yes I know the regime is different (Bruce Allen setting contracts rather then Dan and Vinny) but this really flies in the face of anything our team actually needs to do.

Rant over

Some interesting posts from a Rams forum about Atogwe.

We better resign him, if not, we are up for a long season.

People can talk all they want about OJ but the man forces turnovers, he's one of the most reliable tacklers at safety(although his angles aren't perfect) and he was very good in coverage last year.

If the Rams don't have a plan for replacement and just plug someone in, it'll be a huge step backward.

I think you just don't get it. We will be in a long season if we don't bring him back and it's not just his abilities that we'll miss. First of all, he's a great leader on the field and a great presence in the locker-room. He always was a team first player and he was our captain on D. Now the most important reason why we're in for a long season is, that without him we don't have that player that will provide a sence of security in the secondary.

Last year, he played like one of the best safeties in the NFL. He didn't have any major blown coverages, he had one of the best tackle rates of any safety, he still forced 5 turnovers and he was one of the most effective blitzing safeties. Basically, he had a great year all around.

As I feared...the Redskins were going to look into him. His best years were in Haslett's system, and Snyder has the cash to sign him. I really hope he comes back, but I think the Redskins have too much going for Atogwe right now.

I would say seeing as how he had his 3 highest totals in Tackles under Haslett (even though 2009 he could have had the most if healthy, except he had many more assists than any other season). He also had his only two double digit Passes Defended in Haslett's system. And most telling, he had 27 total forced Turnovers in those 3 years (11 FF, 16 INT)

As others have pointed out he no longer is just a centerfielder - but a complete FS who can cover, tackle, and blitz.

Some interesting posts from a Rams forum about Atogwe.

We better resign him, if not, we are up for a long season.

People can talk all they want about OJ but the man forces turnovers, he's one of the most reliable tacklers at safety(although his angles aren't perfect) and he was very good in coverage last year.

If the Rams don't have a plan for replacement and just plug someone in, it'll be a huge step backward.

I think you just don't get it. We will be in a long season if we don't bring him back and it's not just his abilities that we'll miss. First of all, he's a great leader on the field and a great presence in the locker-room. He always was a team first player and he was our captain on D. Now the most important reason why we're in for a long season is, that without him we don't have that player that will provide a sence of security in the secondary.

Last year, he played like one of the best safeties in the NFL. He didn't have any major blown coverages, he had one of the best tackle rates of any safety, he still forced 5 turnovers and he was one of the most effective blitzing safeties. Basically, he had a great year all around.

As I feared...the Redskins were going to look into him. His best years were in Haslett's system, and Snyder has the cash to sign him. I really hope he comes back, but I think the Redskins have too much going for Atogwe right now.

I would say seeing as how he had his 3 highest totals in Tackles under Haslett (even though 2009 he could have had the most if healthy, except he had many more assists than any other season). He also had his only two double digit Passes Defended in Haslett's system. And most telling, he had 27 total forced Turnovers in those 3 years (11 FF, 16 INT)

As others have pointed out he no longer is just a centerfielder - but a complete FS who can cover, tackle, and blitz.

This was really good to hear. I've been wondering how close his and HAz's relationship was in STL. Most of the comments from OJ's camp that I've seen have been mentioning finding the right fit. I really hope that it is in DC.

In reference to TK's tweet...is there any reason to believe he wouldn't pass a physical?

Well, everyone takes a physical. Of course, you know that. He had a dislocated right shoulder in 2009. It was pretty severe and there were rumors that he had surgery (I don't know if he did). But, that is the only thing I have seen.

I know the guy is a ball hawk. But, I really worry about his open field tackling and his lack of aggression. Maybe being around a few other hard hitting defensive players will help change his mindset. Of course, Shannahan and Haslett know more than I. I really do not know of anyone other great FS out there.

I have seen a few people lobby for Weddle, but he is way better in run support and should play SS. I have also seen a few people who want to gamble on Huff, who misteriously 'turned it on' in a contract year.

I guess there are no better options than O.J., I just hope we do not break the bank. Knowing Allen, we will not.

Well, everyone takes a physical. Of course, you know that. He had a dislocated right shoulder in 2009. It was pretty severe and there were rumors that he had surgery (I don't know if he did). But, that is the only thing I have seen.

I know the guy is a ball hawk. But, I really worry about his open field tackling and his lack of aggression. Maybe being around a few other hard hitting defensive players will help change his mindset. Of course, Shannahan and Haslett know more than I. I really do not know of anyone other great FS out there.

I have seen a few people lobby for Weddle, but he is way better in run support and should play SS. I have also seen a few people who want to gamble on Huff, who misteriously 'turned it on' in a contract year.

I guess there are no better options than O.J., I just hope we do not break the bank. Knowing Allen, we will not.

See, that's why I think he'd fit. We have our hard hitter already. We need someone that can cover and has range.

Archived