Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Help Wanted-jobless need not apply

DieselPwr44

outsourcing of jobs is simply a symptom of the larger problem that America is becoming an environment that isnt friendly to successful business. Until we make it more attractive to do business here over other nations. the problem will continue.

I think there is also a bigger problem in that we are getting sucked in to the "race to the bottom" effect of current globalization trends. More and more countries get invited to the club (IMF, Word Bank) but with caveats about labor laws and other things that we take for granted here as well as caveats about how many things in the country private corporations would have access to..

So you get third world countries or developing countries that are willing to cut massive corners as far as worker safety, compensation, benefits, etc in order to get in on the money and perks that will come from large corporations moving business there. However, you also end up with tons of people working for dirt cheap; many times in poor conditions with very poor working standards.

With those sorts of conditions and no major incentives for business to keep things in the US or penalties for them moving things overseas, companies will just move parts of their operations and manufacturing to countries who can say "our labor costs are the lowest you'll find and you don't really have to worry about benefits or other things that places/people in the US are used to".

outsourcing of jobs is simply a symptom of the larger problem that America is becoming an environment that isnt friendly to successful business. Until we make it more attractive to do business here over other nations. the problem will continue.

Yeah, we need to get rid of labor laws and environmental regulations. Then America would be more business friendly like all those other countries are. :silly:

outsourcing jobs is not a problem if american would do those same jobs.
Those jobs used to be done by Americans.
the costs of those same jobs over there is pennies to what it would be here

Cheap labor and lax labor and environmental laws are the real issue. American workers just aren't playing the same game.

Those jobs used to be done by Americans.

Cheap labor and lax labor and environmental laws are the real issue. American workers just aren't playing the same game.

I heard today that Apple employs 30,000 - these are mostly excellent, high paying jobs. However, its primary subcontractor (which does their manufacturing) has close to a million on their payrolls ... in China. The Chinese workers make as much as $300 a month for working six and seven day weeks.

---------- Post added February-17th-2011 at 09:34 PM ----------

I don't agree with the practice of not considering the unemployed, but given that the practice exists, if I was in that situation I'd do anything to avoid the blank on my resume. It's called being an 'independent consultant'. And you can even keep current and motivated by volunteering your skills in your community if you can't find paid consulting work. A resume that shows someone as an 'independent consultant' in a downtime is a positive. A blank space is not.

It goes well beyond labor costs,but yes

Now who owns corps and buys from them?

Who owns the politicians and buys them?

And with Citizens United, it's going to get much much MUCH worse. What we've seen so far is the tip of the iceberg compared to what's coming.

I think the difference in what people are willing to work for makes the difference.

This country is expensive. Every bit of it. Food, Shelter, clothing, the basics are expensive, even if you pinch every penny.

I think the main reason we see outsourcing is because they can pay people less. And I think that's pretty much all it is.

We should not encourage companies to outsource. It erodes our own country. If companies want to outsource, we should not be giving them tax breaks or incentives to do so. In fact, we should make them pay a fee or something to encourage them to maintain business in America. Give companies that hire in America tax breaks.

~Bang

Bang,

While I don't agree with you on many issues, I must say this one you seem to be more short-sighted than usual.

Think about it for a moment about what those "Tax Breaks" for moving business outside of the country... the earnings that don't get taxed by the U.S. are not earned in the U.S. and not brought into this country. What basis would you have for taxing them? Should Virginia be able to tax your earnings because you choose to live and work in Maryland?

You state that we should punish companies that move part of their operations overseas (reading something into what you said, I admit) would you prefer that those same companies close up shop entirely in the U.S.? did you think that maybe in order to be competitive in the global economy, that some of these companies have found a way to actually save some of their U.S. workforce by outsourcing part of it. Think if you owned a 1000 acre farm that was about to be foreclosed upon, you could choose to lose the whole thing or you could sell off 250 acres and keep the remaining 750. Which option sounds better to you?

At least you finish with something that makes sense. "Give companies that hire in America tax breaks" Making it better to stay is a far better option than punishing those who find that they cannot stay.

OK way off topic from the OP. As for the OP, I understand a bias towards hiring people who are already employed, but companies are missing out on tremendous opportunities by excluding the unemployed from consideration. You could likely hire an unemployed person cheaper than you need to pay to attract an already employed person away from their current job.

If companies want to outsource, we should not be giving them tax breaks or incentives to do so. In fact, we should make them pay a fee or something to encourage them to maintain business in America. Give companies that hire in America tax breaks.

~Bang

As consumers, we play a role in this well. People could make it a point to buy products made in the USA. But many don't. As consumers, we "reward" companies that outsource and import goods from Asian countries by continuing to do business with them. It costs more to buy american. I think it costs even more in the long run to send our $ overseas at the expense of cheaper (costwise and in terms of quality) consumer goods.

Yeah the whole "no experience thing" after graduating college is a bunch of bull****. A lot of the biology jobs I have looked for require 0-3 years experience entry level with a master's degree, such crap.

I would disagree. The reason employers look for candidates with real-world experience is because college has absolutely nothing to do with the real world. True across just about all industries.

So suck it up, take the entry level job, and work your way up :)

I would disagree. The reason employers look for candidates with real-world experience is because college has absolutely nothing to do with the real world. True across just about all industries.

So suck it up, take the entry level job, and work your way up :)

....or drop out create your own software company and become the next Bill Gates. :)

As consumers, we play a role in this well. People could make it a point to buy products made in the USA. But many don't. As consumers, we "reward" companies that outsource and import goods from Asian countries by continuing to do business with them. It costs more to buy american. I think it costs even more in the long run to send our $ overseas at the expense of cheaper (costwise and in terms of quality) consumer goods.

For any sort of complicated product, that's a tall order. It's hard to know where things are built, and even the ones that are assembled here often have foreign components that are built/assembled elsewhere.

If I buy a Honda here in Georgia, it was probably built at their plant in Alabama. Is that "buying American"? Particularly vs an American company with a plant in Mexico?

I agree. We as consumers need to start going out of our way to buy products made in the USA and buy local. However, it's almost impossible to boycott goods made outside of the USA now. If I pick up a product and see made in the USA on it, I'm surprised. If we boycotted everything made outside of the US, we would barely have anything. It's gotten that bad. Even if you have a product that is claimed to be made in the USA, chances are, the product's components were made elsewhere.

We have to do everything possible to bring back all those jobs to the US. There should be a climate to where a company wouldn't even want to outsource jobs because they would feel like traitors. If a country has a product to compete with ours, and they undercut us because they use child slaves and sweat shops, there should be a massive tariff put on the product. If companies advertise in the US, who use sweat shops and slave labor to make their products, there should be a message at the end of the commercial saying "This company uses foreign labor that violates US child labor laws"....or something to that effect.

The college no experince issue is not the same at all...

experince trumps education EVERY time.... So like Zoony said - I don't care how much you "studied" XXX - get a entry level job.

As for the unemployeed thing - It sucks, but I kind of get it. NOT as a blanket "We won't hire anyone who has not had a job for XXX amount of time" but as one of MANY factors. It would be a neigitve - but in my mind, would not rule them out.

Archived