Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Films on Sonny

hail2skins

Thanks for posting the video. Jurgensen was like Dan Marino in terms of never winning a Super Bowl. He was so smart and he could throw so well.

It is a shame that George Allen did not use him the right way in his later years. I remember one game when we scored over 70 points but the defense

still let the other team score close to 50 points. Wish Jurgy could have spent a few more years with Lombardi too.

Absolutely amazing. I've never seen highlights of Sonny and this was a real dream to see what every one always talks about. That guy really did have a golden arm. He was way ahead of his time. Amazing sound bites from the guys they interviewed too. Makes you wonder, who are we going to tell our kids about? What great player in our time will history forget because of their lack of championships?

I've seen a few different pieces done on Sonny but this was the first time I had heard that Coach Allen banished him to a box for the SB vs Miami. Really enjoyed watching this. Coach Allen is a HOF'er but it seems to me he was just a tid bit off, a tad quirky.

I find it interesting how times change. Sonny is beloved despite never leading this team to even a whiff of the playoffs and his only playoff experience was a disaster. The coach who came here and turned this franchise around and got this team to be good again after nearly 30 years of crap is vilified by some for going with another QB (Kilmer) who he felt he ultimately could win with more than Sonny.

Today we have fans who use lack of playoff success by a player as a significant strike against him.

To be clear, I respect Sonny and I'm not bashing him nor in any way attempting to attack what he did accomplish here. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of some and their sliding scale in judging what makes a player an all time great Redskin.

Does playoff appearances, let alone success, matter in judging an individual player in a teammate dependent sport like football?

George Allen's biggest mistake was the way he handled Sonny. IMO Kilmer wasn't qualified to hold Sonny's jock. Yea Kilmer was a tough SOB but Sonny was the better QB by far. Thanks for posting that.

Sonny got most of his playing time under Allen by bailing him out when he needed a comeback. He would then re-gain his starting position until he had a bad game or got injured. It's amazing he played as long as he did under Allen.

I find it interesting how times change.

Redskins fans in Washington only got to watch Sonny on tv 7 times a year. There was one NFL game on tv per week during a most of Sonny's career. There were no sports highlights on the local news, almost nowhere to view NFL FILMS, and no color tv until the second half of Sonny's NFL tenure.

I can see why Sonny seemed so awesome at the time, given how uninteresting the team had been for the nearly 20 years before he arrived. The only thing Sonny would have going for him today as a player would be fantasy stats.

George Allen's biggest mistake was the way he handled Sonny. IMO Kilmer wasn't qualified to hold Sonny's jock. Yea Kilmer was a tough SOB but Sonny was the better QB by far. Thanks for posting that.

That's the impression I get from watching interviews. While Allen was a great coach and made the Redskins into consistent winners, I feel like he was just too stubborn to let the team's greatest asset shine.

What a shame. The Redskins could've easily had the success the success the Cowboys enjoyed in the 1970s. Oh well, such is life.

Also, if St. Vince lived a little while longer, we would've been the team of the 1970s, or at least would've given the Steelers a run for their money. No question.

I still believe that if Sonny hadn't been injured for Super Bowl VII then there would have never been an undefeated team because the Skins would have beat the Dolphins with Sonny as their QB. Even Shula told Sonny that it was a shame that he wasn't able to play in that game.

I agree with Bushwack that if Sonny played in that Super Bowl we end up beating the Dolphins in a very close game. I remember feeling sick when it was announced that Kilmer would be the starter. I knew it would be an uphill struggle for the Skins to win it. The Dolphins were the classic machine that year and we were huge under dogs according to most national observers.

What's amazing to me watching the films is how little the passing game has changed. Sure, the players are bigger, faster, maybe the QBs have "advanced technique", but all things considered some of those pitch and catches look like they were from the modern era....

I agree with Bushwack that if Sonny played in that Super Bowl we end up beating the Dolphins in a very close game. I remember feeling sick when it was announced that Kilmer would be the starter. I knew it would be an uphill struggle for the Skins to win it. The Dolphins were the classic machine that year and we were huge under dogs according to most national observers.

The Skins were actually favored in the game.

I don't know many of the specifics of the game, but was starting Sonny even a consideration? I thought he got injured earlier in the season......was he even able to play?

The Skins were actually favored in the game.

I don't know many of the specifics of the game, but was starting Sonny even a consideration? I thought he got injured earlier in the season......was he even able to play?

Out for the year with a torn achilles tendon. He was on crutches. What makes me mad about Allen is, he always wanted to win the game with defense. We'd beat teams 16-7, 20-10 or 17-7. But if Sonny had have played, we win those games 31-7, 40-10 and 38-7.

Thanks for sharing this vid. It's great.

Among the many, many impressive things about Jurgy-is that he never held a grudge and remains the team's biggest homer. I love to listen to him on broadcasts or in interviews. He knows offense like no one else. Unfortunately his other two partners in the booth, don't give him the air time he deserves. But again, he never complains. What a great Redskin and a true pro!

Thanks for sharing this vid. It's great.

Among the many, many impressive things about Jurgy-is that he never held a grudge and remains the team's biggest homer. I love to listen to him on broadcasts or in interviews. He knows offense like no one else. Unfortunately his other two partners in the booth, don't give him the air time he deserves. But again, he never complains. What a great Redskin and a true pro!

I seriously have to meet this guy. Sonny just seems like the coolest person.

Archived