Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI.com: Titans, Jeff Fisher parting ways

Oldskool

John Clayton is claiming it is a done deal.

"Do not be surprised if Jeff Fisher ends up as the defensive coordinator in Philadelphia. Within the last 2 hours, Andy Reid has told 2 of the applicants for the position that the position has been filled. So do not be surprised if Fisher winds up very quickly in Philadelphia working with Andy Reid."

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6066343

Recall he was DB coach of the Eagles in 1986 and 1987 and was defensive coordinator from 1988-1990 under Buddy Ryan.

This will suck for multiple reasons, first having to deal with his defenses as DC and then having to deal with his teams as HC once Reid leaves.

as a Titans fan as well, this is a disgrace. small market team lets one of the best coaches in the league go. ridiculous. bud adams can go sit on a fatty.

How the **** is Mr. Redskin a Titans fan as well? Need to change your screen name bro. How about Mr. ImnotreallysurewhichteamIshouldrootfor. :D

Anyway, maybe this will end all the Haynesworth rumors.

John Clayton is claiming it is a done deal.

"Do not be surprised if Jeff Fisher ends up as the defensive coordinator in Philadelphia. Within the last 2 hours, Andy Reid has told 2 of the applicants for the position that the position has been filled. So do not be surprised if Fisher winds up very quickly in Philadelphia working with Andy Reid."

I think he takes it easy this year accepting a job with one of the big networks for a season. Next year with a new CBA in place he signs a long term head coaching position.

First let me say and this is just my opinion, to those that believe he'll take a step back and be a DC. I honestly don't think he will, because I believe he wants to be a HC again. Becoming a DC could backfire for being a HC again. If he goes to the Eagles and their defense stinks it up worse than it did last season, teams will think twice before picking him up. That's just my opinion though, so yeah, I'd be highly surprised if he's a DC next season.

As for him being fired. I was actually shocked. The owner chooses him over Vince Young, then won't let Fischer's son take a small coaching job? Oh well, guess that's why the Titans will be hiring a coach for the first time since they were the Oilers.

According to the Philadelphia News' Les Bowen, ex-Titans coach Jeff Fisher is not a candidate to become the Eagles' next defensive coordinator.

John Clayton, among others, connected the dots to suggest that it would be a sensible one-year fix for both sides. Fisher coordinated the Eagles' defense from 1988-90, and he could have joined defensive line coach Jim Washburn in moving from Nashville to Philly. As NFL Network's Michael Lombardi points out, though, established head coaches with 142 wins don't have to settle for coordinator jobs.

Source: Les Bowen on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

WTF?!?!?! I'm glad the Cowboys went with Garrett. I'd hate to see this guy running things in Dallas. Is there still a head coaching job available anywhere in the league?

This is just crazy, especially at this point. Who in the world are they going to hire? Lane Kiffin?

I really do not believe he'd have made the kind of splash impact you think he would if he did end up coaching

Dallas

Yeah I was listening to it on 106.7 the fan. They are asking who will win a superbowl 1st Vince Young or Jeff Fisher.

That's a stupid question. VY will never win one. He's a loser. And before anyone brings up his career record as a starter, consider he has a losing record against teams above .500.

---------- Post added January-28th-2011 at 02:05 AM ----------

You don't go from a head coach for 17 years to a defensive coordinator.

Yeah, I don't see that happening either. My guess is he sits out a year (probably doing TV work for ESPN), then coaches the following year. He might want to see how the CBA plays out as well.

---------- Post added January-28th-2011 at 02:08 AM ----------

First let me say and this is just my opinion, to those that believe he'll take a step back and be a DC. I honestly don't think he will, because I believe he wants to be a HC again. Becoming a DC could backfire for being a HC again. If he goes to the Eagles and their defense stinks it up worse than it did last season, teams will think twice before picking him up. That's just my opinion though, so yeah, I'd be highly surprised if he's a DC next season.

As for him being fired. I was actually shocked. The owner chooses him over Vince Young, then won't let Fischer's son take a small coaching job? Oh well, guess that's why the Titans will be hiring a coach for the first time since they were the Oilers.

The owner hasn't chosen him over VY. VY will still be released or traded. A great majority of players in that locker room don't want Young back.

And about the other thing: Bud Adams doesn't believe in having relatives working for him. HE doesn't even have any! So why should be allow his head coach to?

10 of his 16 full seasons were 8-8 or worse and just five playoff wins which, had it not been for the Music City Miracle, would only be two. Also, he never made the playoffs more than two years in a row. If not for the Music City Miracle he'd have probably been gone long ago as it gave him goodwill and in the first few years before that he was given a free pass as they had lame duck years in Houston and a couple years of temporary homes.

Reid says the job is filled, so I guess it's not one on the GB or Steelers coaches. (unless he's a lying walrus, which is possible)

So now they have a line coach but no coordinator. BTW, I remember another team that did a similar thing. Hired an offensive coordinator before the head coach. Didn't work out too well did it? Maybe the gold standard is trying to copy Dan Snyder's hiring practices.

EDIT Oops wrong thread I thought this was in the mcdermott thread. Oh well it fits a little I guess.

Reid says the job is filled, so I guess it's not one on the GB or Steelers coaches. (unless he's a lying walrus, which is possible)

So now they have a line coach but no coordinator. BTW, I remember another team that did a similar thing. Hired an offensive coordinator before the head coach. Didn't work out too well did it? Maybe the gold standard is trying to copy Dan Snyder's hiring practices.

A bit different though, don't you think? Zorn (recently fired btw) had never been an OC. Washburn is recognized as one of the best of the business and that's a step down from a coordinator position. That being said, the whole DC situation is weird. The Fisher-to-Philly talk seems ridiculous, although it would be a dream come true.

John CLayton loses a ton of credibility with this one. There is basically no chance that Fisher coaches in Philly next year as a DC. No basis in reality. I can't believe people are actually taking this rumor seriously.

Unless Fisher really wants the work, it doesn't make much sense. Fisher is going to get paid by the Titans regardless.

Rumor on NFL.com is that Gregg Williams is a strong candidate to replace him.

Fisher will most likely go the way of Cowher, Shanahan, etc. and take a break. He was at Tennessee for too long anyways. Things just get stale after awhile when you're at a place for that long.

Not sure if he is quite ready to take a break just yet, my guess is he will be actively searching for a head coaching job, Maybe Carolina

or possible even Oakland

good. fisher was, is and will be overrated.

Fisher is a good head coach. Remember, a head coach is only as good as the players the FO brings in.

I don't know how much input he has on player acquisition, but he is a good head coach. Put him in Pitts and he wins SB's just like the guy they have now. Put Tomlin in Tenn and you would get the same results.

Belicheat is another example. He is a very good D coordinator, but he needs players to execute his defense just like every other coach.

Reid says the job is filled, so I guess it's not one on the GB or Steelers coaches. (unless he's a lying walrus, which is possible).
Quite possible!

The Eagles have asked permission to interview Packers safeties coach Darren Perry for their defensive coordinator vacancy.

Green Bay has two fantastic DB coaches in Perry and cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt. Perry, 42, can't interview until after the Super Bowl. The Packers do have the option of declining permission as they did last year with QBs coach Tom Clements. The Bears wanted Clements for their offensive coordinator job.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Archived