Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI.com: Titans, Jeff Fisher parting ways

Oldskool

In an unexpected development in what already has been a turbulent offseason in Tennessee, the Titans and Jeff Fisher, the NFL's longest-tenured head coach, are preparing to part ways, SI.com learned Thursday afternoon.

According to an NFL source close to the situation in Tennessee, the move could be announced as early as Friday, although it's uncertain if Fisher's departure will be termed a firing, a resignation or a mutual parting of ways.

Though information about Fisher's situation was scarce Thursday, it was confirmed by a league source that he will not return to coach the team in 2011, contrary to what was previously expected. Fisher was said to be in the process of negotiating the terms of his departure with Titans owner Bud Adams.

According to a league source, only Adams, Fisher, Titans general manager Mike Reinfeldt and team general counsel Steve Underwood were aware of the finer details of Fisher's imminent departure early Thursday evening. Members of the Titans front office could not be reached for comment Thursday, but SI.com was in contact with a member of the Titans public relations staff, who could not confirm the news.

Fisher has been on the job with the Houston/Tennessee organization since being named interim head coach late in the 1994 season, and he was expected to return for a 17th season full season this year. But Fisher's future with the team was considered somewhat tenuous given that he was entering the final year of his contract, and Adams did not decide to retain him until Jan. 7, five days after Tennessee closed out a disappointing 6-10 season -- the Titans' worst since 2005.

See http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/01/27/titans-jeff-fisher/index.html for the complete story.

WTF?!?!?! I'm glad the Cowboys went with Garrett. I'd hate to see this guy running things in Dallas. Is there still a head coaching job available anywhere in the league?

This is just crazy, especially at this point. Who in the world are they going to hire? Lane Kiffin?

He actually hasn't been released yet. Nobody can be released until after the Super Bowl

It appears VY gets another chance to prove he can be the franchise QB that the Titans need. Hopefully they keep him, so the Titans won't be inclined to draft a QB in the 1st round, and creating a great chance that all QBs are available and Shanahan can either pick who he wants or trade out of the spot and pick up another pick or 2.

Big surprise considering they let VY go.

Fish will find a job as HC as soon as he wants. My guess is that he will pull a Cowher and sit out a year or two unless the dream job opens up, whatever that may be. With Fisher and Cowher available, I hope Snyder doesn't pull a Snyder.

Jeff Fisher compiled a 142-140 record in 16-plus seasons with the Titans

That's about all anyone needs to know about this "parting of the ways", time to move on. Good luck in the future

6 winning seasons in 16 years - one of the most overrated coaches of all time.

Heck of a defensive mind though.

That being said, I want him no where near DAL or NYG.

Big surprise considering they let VY go.

Fish will find a job as HC as soon as he wants. My guess is that he will pull a Cowher and sit out a year or two unless the dream job opens up, whatever that may be. With Fisher and Cowher available, I hope Snyder doesn't pull a Snyder.

VY has not been let go. No player can be released until after the season is over, and the season is not over until after Sunday's game. VY appears to be getting a 2nd life in Tennessee.

Why would Snyder fire a 2 time Super Bowl winning head coach, who won a SB as an OC as well for 2 of the most overrated coaches out there? As stated on here, Fisher is basically a .500 head coach, who's had 6 winning seasons in 16 years; and as for Cowher, Mike Tomlin has a chance to do what Cowher couldn't do in 15 years in 4 years, which is win 2 Super Bowls.

I would rather have Shanahan and his offensive genius over both Cowher and Fisher any day of the week.

---------- Post added January-27th-2011 at 07:53 PM ----------

he could join Jim washburn in Philly as DC

This would be horrible for every other team in the NFC East, but I don't know if Reid would be willing to take him on because if Reid comes up short again, he may be fired and Fisher be named HC.

6 winning seasons in 16 years - one of the most overrated coaches of all time.

Heck of a defensive mind though.

That being said, I want him no where near DAL or NYG.

I disagree. He took over a team that was in complete disarray and turned it into a competitive team year-in-year out. They had a complete roster purge after the 2003 season because Bud Adams is such a tightwad. Two years after that he had them in double digit wins again even though he only had one good QB while he was there. I'm guessing they are going to have a precipitous fall from grace.

This would be horrible for every other team in the NFC East, but I don't know if Reid would be willing to take him on because if Reid comes up short again, he may be fired and Fisher be named HC.

John Clayton is claiming it is a done deal.

"Do not be surprised if Jeff Fisher ends up as the defensive coordinator in Philadelphia. Within the last 2 hours, Andy Reid has told 2 of the applicants for the position that the position has been filled. So do not be surprised if Fisher winds up very quickly in Philadelphia working with Andy Reid."

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6066343

Recall he was DB coach of the Eagles in 1986 and 1987 and was defensive coordinator from 1988-1990 under Buddy Ryan.

Roto:Titans still plan on dumping VY

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Titans still plan to trade or release Vince Young following Jeff Fisher's exit as head coach.

Interesting. The Titans' front office had clearly soured on V.Y. by the end of the season, but owner Bud Adams remained a staunch supporter. This news suggests the fissure between Fisher and Adams runs deeper, and perhaps that Fisher had seen the writing on the wall for weeks. Per NFL Network's Michael Lombardi, Young's lack of work ethic is "legendary" in the locker room and around the NFL. With his trade value in the tank, Young is as likely to be released as traded. Jan. 27 - 7:02 pm et

Archived