Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best eras for stuff...

Hitman21ST

One thing that this past 10 years has been unquestionably best at is TV shows. Before the 2000's, you'd never see shows like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc. Sure sitcoms still suck, but as far as serious TV shows go, there's no competition. . . NONE!

We can thank cable.

Sopranos, The Wire are two of the best ever. Definitely not the best era for sitcoms however.

Kids TV

Late 80's-late 90's.

It was called the renaissance for a reason. You 45 year olds can say what you want but let's be real, Animaniacs is far superior to Thundercats and He-Man etc.

Um...Thundercats was late 80's. And He-Man came mid-80's but it was still going strong in the late 80's.

Must be thinking of other shows then.

I'm not sure what 45 year olds had for cartoons growing up. Scooby Doo? I don't know. The 80's started with GI Joe, Transformers, and He-Man and I think Voltron. When we got to the late-80's (when I first started watching cartoons) those were still running strong and we had Thundercats, Dino-Riders (one of my personal favs), Ninja Turtles, and my slept-on fav The Real Ghostbusters. **** started getting lame for me when Power Rangers came on the scene. That was like the symbolic end of the innocence of my childhood. My younger brother (by 20 months) LOVED the Power Rangers.

Power Rangers was good until they effed up and went Zeo in '96-'97 and then proceeded to go retarded with the whole outer space nonsense.

The high point of that show was Tommy being reborn as the White Ranger with that epic Tiger Sword or whatever it was called.

Ugh. I used to get so bitter when we'd come home from school and my brother would ***** and cry about watching Power Rangers. I was onto Saved by the Bell by that point. Grown folk stuff.

Ugh. I used to get so bitter when we'd come home from school and my brother would ***** and cry about watching Power Rangers. I was onto Saved by the Bell by that point. Grown folk stuff.

Well that ****ing and moaning was justified. Power Rangers was not to be ****ed with back then. Looking back on it though, it was really stupid.

A lot of the monster costumes looked like they were purchased at KMart, along with the countless fights with the retarded dancing Putties.

Tommy was the badass though, he completely carried that show, especially when he went evil green, and would whip out the flute to call the Dragonzord. You mad?

It depends on what music you listen to. The 80's and 90's were the golden age for New Wave,punk and alternative music.the mid 70's to early 80's were the era of Super robot Japanese animation. Movies are spread out. 80's did not seem to have really great quality movies except for the star wars and rocky movies. 90's and 2000's as a whole had better movie selections.

Children's Shows: late 80s-late 90s...Rescue Rangers, TaleSpin, DuckTales, Captain Planet, GI Joe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Animaniacs, Smurfs, Eureka's Castle, Dinosaurs...my youth was the best time to grow up, period.

Right on with that, along with 80's and early 90's NBA. I love me some Charlotte Hornets back in the day...ZO, Grandmama, Rex Chapman, Dell Curry, Mugsy Bogues...I loved my childhood.

It depends on what music you listen to. The 80's and 90's were the golden age for New Wave,punk and alternative music.the mid 70's to early 80's were the era of Super robot Japanese animation. Movies are spread out. 80's did not seem to have really great quality movies except for the star wars and rocky movies. 90's and 2000's as a whole had better movie selections.

Raging Bull is better than every move that came out this past decade. But the 90's definitely topped the 80's for movies.

80's wins by far for teen movies though.

---------- Post added January-27th-2011 at 01:11 PM ----------

Oh and Raiders of the Lost Ark, yeah just decent, Back to the Future....

Raging Bull is better than every move that came out this past decade. But the 90's definitely topped the 80's for movies.

I wouldn't say "Every Movie." Inception was awesome, the "new" Star Trek wasn't too bad (not sure if it was Raging Bull quality, but it's among the better movies of the 2000s), and I would put the original Saw right up there, too.

Name one move that's better. I mean the only two movies out of the 2000's that will go down as all-time greats is like Gladiator and one of the LOTR movies. Inception was great but overrated. Note how nobody is talking about it anymore. People talked about the Matrix long after it's May release and it's honestly not a better movie.

There's plenty of "good" movies that come out. But the 2000's really didn't have any brilliant films minus those two. Inception could be added I suppose.

Okay, fine. I think the 1990s were a zenith for a lot of popular entertainment. I think popular music and movies, definitely. You can go back into any era and dig up a lot of great work, but I don't think any decade was quite as ubiquitous with regard to quality as the 90s were.

Lawyers killed the automobile. If one were to graph the proliferation of litigation and liability claims -vs- the coolness factor of cars, one would find a directly inverse relationship. Cars were at their best when they were cars, not 3000 lbs behemoths bogged down with airbags, safety cages, crumple zones, smog equipment, catalytic converters, etc. So for cars, I will say the 60s and into the 70s were the best.

The best decade for air travel was any time prior to 1970. I'm guessing. It dam well couldn't be now.

The best decade for business travel had to be anytime before mobile communications. Say, 1990 or so and prior. I could not imagine how liberating / awesome it must have been to leave your office for a week with the simple message of "sorry, I'm out", and not be bothered.

Best decade for food (in this country) hasn't occured yet. But getting better, definitely.

Okay, fine. I think the 1990s were a zenith for a lot of popular entertainment. I think popular music and movies, definitely. You can go back into any era and dig up a lot of great work, but I don't think any decade was quite as ubiquitous with regard to quality as the 90s were.

Lawyers killed the automobile. If one were to graph the proliferation of litigation and liability claims -vs- the coolness factor of cars, one would find a directly inverse relationship. Cars were at their best when they were cars, not 3000 lbs behemoths bogged down with airbags, safety cages, crumple zones, smog equipment, catalytic converters, etc. So for cars, I will say the 60s and into the 70s were the best.

The best decade for air travel was any time prior to 1970. I'm guessing. It dam well couldn't be now.

The best decade for business travel had to be anytime before mobile communications. Say, 1990 or so and prior. I could not imagine how liberating / awesome it must have been to leave your office for a week with the simple message of "sorry, I'm out", and not be bothered.

Best decade for food (in this country) hasn't occured yet. But getting better, definitely.

I would say the best decade for food is right now with the caveat that the best is most definitely yet to come. The fact that I can drive one block and easily buy mango chutney to use in the lamb receipe I found on the internet and to cook in the dutch oven that I bought a block in the other direction and can serve it with saffron-flavored cous-cous I bought at Williams and Sonoma for $8 is something that would truly puzzle my grandmother. She had eight recipes because there weight things she could buy at her local grocery store and 8 recipes in her Joy of Cooking cookbook that utilized them. Seriously, was it even possible to buy curry powder outside of maybe New York City prior to 1995?

I would also argue that the Golden Age of TV is right now for similar reasons. It's Always Sunny was unthinkable ten years ago. Where could it air? Maybe HBO. Technology has made shows cheap to make and cable has made shows with tiny tiny audiences into successes. About 2 million people watch Mad Men. If 2 million people watched a show in 1996, it would have been the biggest flop in human history.

---------- Post added January-27th-2011 at 02:32 PM ----------

---------- Post added January-27th-2011 at 01:11 PM ----------

Oh and Raiders of the Lost Ark, yeah just decent, Back to the Future....

You do realize that you are doing little more than exposing an embarrassingly limited worldview on this thread, right?

Just checking.

Archived