Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best eras for stuff...

Hitman21ST

Wouldn't you argue just about every cartoon is 'technically' aimed at kids but some have added humor that their parents can understand which elevates them? Animaniacs is a good example. DuckTales is full of so many cultural references also that I never got till I re-watched them all.

No, cartoons such as Looney Tunes were originally included before movies in theaters and were intended for adult audiences. Look back at some of the old Bugs Bunny cartoons made during the war, there were definitely adult themes. In fact, I think one of the creators, in an interview, specifically said that they made those cartoons for themselves as adults and it was just a happy coincidence that children liked them as well.

Yeah, China has it right. Cartoons were aimed at parents taking their kids to the movies back in the day. Little shorts that included little inside jokes for the adults. The kids didn't get them because they were typically too young. Similar to what all of the Shrek movies have...just tamer.

Can we talk about how awesome men's suits were in the 1920s?

Sometimes I wish suits were still the ONLY way to dress like they were back then. I'd love to constantly be looking all pimped out. But it must have been a ***** to keep up with. Throwing on some jeans and a t shirt is just too easy.

Wouldn't you argue just about every cartoon is 'technically' aimed at kids but some have added humor that their parents can understand which elevates them? Animaniacs is a good example. DuckTales is full of so many cultural references also that I never got till I re-watched them all.

Hmm. I'm gonna have to check out DuckTales again.

Prior to the 1980s' date=' the only people I knew who flew on a regular basis were either rich, doing so for the job, worked for the airline or had won some contest. From 1964 to 1981, I flew a grand total of twice (my father was an engineer and we would be what people would classify as upper middle class). Flying was damn expensive.[/quote']

Reminded of that movie Catch Me if you Can (taking place in the 60's) where little kids are stopping and asking airline pilots for their autographs.

I think right now is the best era for consumer products. There are so many useful, well-designed gadgets and products. iPods, smart phones, kitchen utensils, TiVO and it's ilk (greatest consumer product the past decade, IMO). Plus the cost has gone down so much that the regular joe schmoe can own it.

I would also say that currently is the best era for retail ever. I moved to a rural city in Western, PA and aside from the traffic and good ethnic eats, I can have pretty much anything I want. Which wasn't even the case in the 90s.

Prior to the 1980s, the only people I knew who flew on a regular basis were either rich, doing so for the job, worked for the airline or had won some contest. From 1964 to 1981, I flew a grand total of twice (my father was an engineer and we would be what people would classify as upper middle class). Flying was damn expensive.

I recall flying a number of times during the '70s to visit relatives either in the summer or during holidays. I always enjoyed getting to go up into the ****pit and then getting the kid gift pack which usually included some "wings" (a pin) and a pack of airline playing cards. I also recall the airline food back then was served with real (i.e., metal) forks and knives. My parents absconded with some a few times and I recall having tableware from "National" airlines among others.

If you ever get a chance, watch an old Warren Beatty movie called The Parallax View (1974). It has an interesting scene with regard to air travel in that he just walks up to whichever gate he wants (there is no security) gets on a plane and then pays for his ticket in cash once on the plane (sort of how they used to do it with train tickets). Can you imagine doing that nowadays?

4iSmcCK_kkw

If you ever get a chance, watch an old Warren Beatty movie called The Parallax View (1974). It has an interesting scene with regard to air travel in that he just walks up to whichever gate he wants (there is no security) gets on a plane and then pays for his ticket in cash once on the plane (sort of how they used to do it with train tickets). Can you imagine doing that nowadays?

Don't need to see the movie. Worked with a guy who took his new wife to Scotland because they just got on the plane and went.

zoony, I think Crouching Tiger was a horrible movie also.

Cutting edge, still terrible, same with Avatar.

Dammit, what's wrong with you people? :ols:

I thought it was great!

Great scenery

Great fight scenes

Great plot

Great musical score

Great acting

I thought it was great how Lee made Zhang's character a great protagonist, making her the hero and villain at the same time, as she resists the traditionalist ways of Chinese culture/politics at that time, refusing to marry for political standing, running away/betraying her family, but in the meantime, staying true to herself.

Chow Yun Phat and Michelle Yeoh also delivered brilliant performances as supporting characters, and their own sub-plot, refusing to admit their feelings for each other until the end of the movie. It was almost like watching a Shakespearean play, while keeping all of the characteristics/elements of a classic martial arts film

No, cartoons such as Looney Tunes were originally included before movies in theaters and were intended for adult audiences. Look back at some of the old Bugs Bunny cartoons made during the war, there were definitely adult themes. In fact, I think one of the creators, in an interview, specifically said that they made those cartoons for themselves as adults and it was just a happy coincidence that children liked them as well.

Forgot about Looney Tunes. I actually typed that exact same first sentence a few pages back in this thread. Best Looney Tunes is from the 40's and 50's when they were theatrical shorts.

Okay, fine. I think the 1990s were a zenith for a lot of popular entertainment. I think popular music and movies, definitely. You can go back into any era and dig up a lot of great work, but I don't think any decade was quite as ubiquitous with regard to quality as the 90s were.

Lawyers killed the automobile. If one were to graph the proliferation of litigation and liability claims -vs- the coolness factor of cars, one would find a directly inverse relationship. Cars were at their best when they were cars, not 3000 lbs behemoths bogged down with airbags, safety cages, crumple zones, smog equipment, catalytic converters, etc. So for cars, I will say the 60s and into the 70s were the best.

The best decade for air travel was any time prior to 1970. I'm guessing. It dam well couldn't be now.

The best decade for business travel had to be anytime before mobile communications. Say, 1990 or so and prior. I could not imagine how liberating / awesome it must have been to leave your office for a week with the simple message of "sorry, I'm out", and not be bothered.

Best decade for food (in this country) hasn't occured yet. But getting better, definitely.

I really agree with air travel prior to the 1970's being the best decade. Regular average travellers and Jet setters alike loved that era and it was more respectable and nicer. According to what I've read, seen on film and tv and personal anecdotes from older relatives they were treated first class with impeccable customer service. You also had to be dressed tro fly on the plane. It was like an event back then.

What was the worst popular sitcom of all time? The Brady Bunch? I admit, Gilligan's Island is a guilty pleasure. Damnit, I enjoy it.

I don't have a specific candidate, but one sure sign that a sitcom is bad, bad, BAD is that I get distracted by the laugh track. I start focusing on the laugh track and thinking "what the **** are we supposed to be laughing at?" The producers punch the laugh button at every stupid line and it gets embarrassing how out of place the laughs are.

Archived