Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best eras for stuff...

Hitman21ST

What was the worst popular sitcom of all time? The Brady Bunch? I admit, Gilligan's Island is a guilty pleasure. Damnit, I enjoy it.

Probably either Full House or Family Matters (show with Urkel). I know those were aimed at six-year-olds but they were beyond awful.

Worst sitcome aimed at adults? Maybe that one of Fox with the stuffed rabbit voice by Bobcat Goldthwaite.

I have to say the turn of the century until now is probably the golden age of television series. We've had some great ones. The Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men, Arrested Development to name a few instant classics.

Even the current stuff like True Blood, Dexter, Breaking Bad, The Tudors, The Walking Dead... while not like the above heavy weights, are way beyond the quality of the series since the 70s or 80s.

Stuff I didn't watch but had a good following: Oz, Sex and the City, Deadwood, 6 Feet Under, and Rome.

Granted it's also the hey day of mindless drivel reality shows and American Idol, so take it with a grain of salt.

Probably either Full House or Family Matters (show with Urkel). I know those were aimed at six-year-olds but they were beyond awful.

Worst sitcome aimed at adults? Maybe that one of Fox with the stuffed rabbit voice by Bobcat Goldthwaite.

Okay' date=' Full House might win.

Fox had some great sitcoms that never made it though. I think probably the hardest I've ever laughed at a TV show ever came from Get A Life- the Chris Elliott sitcom. Hilarious. That's the kind of show that nowadays could be on FX or TBS and do quite well, imo.

---------- Post added January-27th-2011 at 03:11 PM ----------

Stuff I didn't watch but had a good following: Oz, Sex and the City, Deadwood, 6 Feet Under, and Rome.

Rome, imo, was outstanding. Too bad it was only 2 seasons. The investment into the set alone should have warranted at least 5. I was really into Oz when it came out and I don't think it gets enough credit. It was the HBO series that paved the way for the Sopranos, etc.

Deadwood was good, but not as good as most of its followers claimed.

Andy Griffith is good. I watch it occasionally on TV Land. Seinfeld is still better than any sitcom since and that includes Curb and Arrested Development (though it's close). The thing about A.D. is you can't just randomly watch an episode. You gotta start from episode one to get all the stuff going on. But if you do, it's great.

The Seinfeld ep with "Not that there's anything wrong with that." was on last night. Brilliant.

I used to believe that The Wire was better than the Sopranos. I've watched both series twice all the way through and I strongly believe that Sopranos is much much better than the Wire. Taking nothing away from The Wire, because it's an awesome series. The Sopranos just offers so much more on a second watch, there's a lot of underlying things going on that get missed when you're just watching for plot. Plus, the final scene? Epic.

Sticks,

Gangs Of New York?

Cast Away?

A Beautiful Mind?

Hotel Rwanda?

No Country For Old Men?

Crouching Tiger?

There are a few more that I'm probably leaving out. I think the quantam leap of special effects somewhat put a damper on the 2000's ( more movies with less substance) , but there were a lot of classics in there as well, IMO of course.

I just think that in todays fast paced 'forget everything that happened 5 minutes ago" society, people tend to forget about some of the gems of the last decade.

Some great movies you listed. I can't turn away from Cast Away when it comes on. I never said "there weren't good movies that came out this past decade." But it's hard to find the plethora of brilliant movies like you'll find in say, the 70's. The LOTR trilogy was fantastic. Gladiator as I said, Inception was great and Disney really stepped it up this past decade. Wall E, Nemo and Shrek etc.

---------- Post added January-27th-2011 at 03:25 PM ----------

I guess you only watch films that make $150 million.

How does that even make sense regarding what I said? Nothing I said implied that a movie had to gross alot for me to like it. Beyond the fact that Wall-E and Up and every Pixar movie fit into that category and then some so I'd like them wouldn't I?

I used to believe that The Wire was better than the Sopranos. I've watched both series twice all the way through and I strongly believe that Sopranos is much much better than the Wire. Taking nothing away from The Wire, because it's an awesome series. The Sopranos just offers so much more on a second watch, there's a lot of underlying things going on that get missed when you're just watching for plot. Plus, the final scene? Epic.

I am coming around on this. If you'd asked me when they were both in production, I'd have said the Wire hands down. However, like you, I recently went back and re-watched the Sopranos. Oustanding. I tried it with the Wire, but found myself kind of bored. I'm still not sure which one is actually better, though.

And by the way, for anyone who doesn't know, Tony Soprano was whacked in the final scene.

I've never watched The Wire. It's one of my cultural blindspots.

Can we talk about how awesome men's suits were in the 1920s?

The Knoxville airport has a bunch of pictures at the baggage claim of life in Knoxville in the early 1900s. I stare at them every time every time I'm waiting for a bag.

What jumps out at you is the formality of it all. Everyone is wearing a suit. There is a picture of everyone standing around Market Square watching the World Series on a large scoreboard (games were broadcast by wire and scoreboards were updated in realtime while everyone stood around and watched)... not one person dressed in anything other than a suit and tie.

Can you imagine a scene like that nowadays? Tanktops, lard-asses, crocs, and mullets. My how far we've come... :doh:

Have you ever read this (exhaustive) analysis of the final scene? It's pretty great and seems to be on point.

http://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-sopranos-definitive-explanation-of-the-end/

yah, not long ago. It all makes sense- the Belzer interview with the creator of the show is most telling.

But really, it all makes perfect sense regardless. The scene a few episodes prior where Sal was eating dinner with a guy that was whacked set up the final scene perfectly.

Yeah it was, but it was still a part of the "New kids on the block" 3-D animation craze that was going on back then. One of the originals, regardless of the company.

Oh, I just thought you were referring specifically to Pixar. Yeah Antz, A Bug's Life, Toy Story....great films. A Bug's Life doubled Antz's gross. That's what happens when you have Disney to promote.

Exactly...and LOTR wasn't an original idea, though I probably would have to give that trilogy a pass since the effects were so incredible. Good call on Gladiator, I love that movie. Still though, that decade just seemed like a decade of unoriginal ideas with cool technology to me (with a couple exceptions).

Actually the last fully original ideas in story telling sans the the cool technology would be at least 8000 years or so old. Maybe even older as much as 40,000.

I'm not sure what 45 year olds had for cartoons growing up. Scooby Doo? I don't know. The 80's started with GI Joe, Transformers, and He-Man and I think Voltron. When we got to the late-80's (when I first started watching cartoons) those were still running strong and we had Thundercats, Dino-Riders (one of my personal favs), Ninja Turtles, and my slept-on fav The Real Ghostbusters. **** started getting lame for me when Power Rangers came on the scene. That was like the symbolic end of the innocence of my childhood. My younger brother (by 20 months) LOVED the Power Rangers.

Animated versions of 1960s sitcoms, either direct or indirect copies

The Osmands, the Jackson 5, and other pop music groups (some fictional)

Superheros.

Copies of some of the prime-time cartoons (usually dumbed-down and sterilized to make them "kid-safe"

Here's a dirty little secret: All cartoons aimed at kids are terrible.

Wouldn't you argue just about every cartoon is 'technically' aimed at kids but some have added humor that their parents can understand which elevates them? Animaniacs is a good example. DuckTales is full of so many cultural references also that I never got till I re-watched them all.

The best decade for air travel was any time prior to 1970. I'm guessing. It dam well couldn't be now.

Prior to the 1980s, the only people I knew who flew on a regular basis were either rich, doing so for the job, worked for the airline or had won some contest. From 1964 to 1981, I flew a grand total of twice (my father was an engineer and we would be what people would classify as upper middle class). Flying was damn expensive.

Archived