Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tunisian Revolution and the Middle East--And Now, The Withdrawal From Afghanistan (M.E.T.)

jpyaks3

13 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Yes, that happened after the media brought attention to the disgrace that was happening there though.

Correlation does not imply causation.  I suspect there is some truth to the poor press driving a certain amount of response...but i also suspect a certain amount of planning for a large scale airlift, at least as contingency, also occured.  This is where congress should step in and use oversight to determine what happened, what was planned and how such things could maybe be improved.

Sadly, i dont trust our congress, Republican or Democratic controlled, to actually perform such a thoughtfull accounting.

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Yes, that happened after the media brought attention to the disgrace that was happening there though.

Not to mention the Afghans that were stuck in the landing gear of our aircraft or fell to their death. But I guess they dont matter to the media. There is no putting a nice little bow on this clown show. 

Two dozen San Diego students and their families are stuck in Afghanistan

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/25/us/san-diego-students-stranded-afghanistan/index.html

Edited by clskinsfan

So. Been doing a deep dive on Afghanistan highlights over the two decades. 

reddit has got this thing on lock by the way. 

anyways. Stumbled upon a long video that included this clip I’m about to describe (apologies it’s a summarized description of something I’ll watched like 3 nights ago - the general concept of what was going on is correct though)

oh and it matches everyone’s story that I personally know that was deployed to Afghanistan and actually saw regular amounts of combat (my understanding is most people deployed dont…)

The middle eastern (or more specifically Taliban/al qaeda types ?) idea of combat is impressively stupid. They believe allah will make the bullets hit their target. I’m not kidding. I’m watching green berets sit in a hole with an Afghan army machine gunner, and the US dude is like “uh, what are you shooting at” and he just points off yonder and the US dude is like “um. No. You can’t hit him if you can’t see him. You’re just wasting ammo and giving your position away” and this back and forth repeats like 3 times until the US dude basically orders him to stop and then goes into a deep lecture on how you cannot hit something if you cannot see it - which is insane you’d never thought there was so much to say about such a simple concept.

Afghan dude gets mad, picks up his machine gun, runs down range to join his guys with the rifles and they’re all just shooting. And US dude looks at another US dude and just says, oh so plainly, “they’re just shooting…. Like, in a general direction. They haven’t seen anyone in 20 minutes. He got so mad he just ran down there to join the shooting…”

And it’s like holy **** these people are so dumb. The god damn revolutionary war tactics of both sides lining up across from each other, everyone taking aim, everyone firing together makes WAY more sense. At least they were following the basic framework of 
1. See target
2. Aim at target
3. Fire

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, tshile said:

So. Been doing a deep dive on Afghanistan highlights over the two decades. 

reddit has got this thing on lock by the way. 

anyways. Stumbled upon your long video that included this clip I’m about to describe (apologies it’s a summarized description of something I’ll watched like 3 nights ago - the general concept of what was going on is correct though)

oh and it matches everyone’s story that I personally know that was deployed to Afghanistan and actually saw regular amounts of combat (my understanding is most people deployed dont…)

The middle eastern (or more specifically Tainan/al qaeda types ?) idea of combat is impressively stupid. They believe allah will make the bullets hit their target. I’m not kidding. I’m watching green berets sit in a hole with an Afghan army machine gunner, and the US dude is like “uh, what are you shooting at” and he just points off yonder and the US dude is like “um. No. You can’t hit him if you can’t see him. You’re just wasting ammo and giving your position away” and this back and forth repeats like 3 times until the US dude basically orders him to stop and then goes into a deep lecture on how you cannot hit something if you cannot see it - which is insane you’d never thought there was so much to say about such a simple concept.

Afghan dude gets mad, picks up his machine gun, runs down range to join his guys with the rifles and they’re all just shooting. And US dude looks at another US dude and just says, oh so plainly, “they’re just shooting…. Like, in a general direction. They haven’t seen anyone in 20 minutes. He got so mad he just ran down there to join the shooting…”

And it’s like holy **** these people are so dumb. The god damn revolutionary war tactics of both sides lining up across from each other, everyone taking aim, everyone firing together makes WAY more sense. At least they were following the basic framework of 
1. See target
2. Aim at target
3. Fire

That video was posted here a few days ago and I watched it all: 

I think the issue here and the poor Marine in charge kinda sums it up at the end - we had a chance to get this right early in the war, but we moved on to Iraq instead of focusing on the mission and training people/setting up people in positions to succeed. The people we are training have no loyalties to the area they are put in and are simply there to get a paycheck. Some would desert and switch to the Taliban. The local police forces had people in charge that would sexually assault the young tea boys in the villages. They're also typically high on opium or weed. It's just a cluster****. We should have exited after we got OBL and never looked back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jabbyrwock said:

Correlation does not imply causation. 

Biden was pretty clear at first that it was up to the afgans to deal with their issues and he was happy to let god sort it out.

2 hours ago, Jabbyrwock said:

Sadly, i dont trust our congress, Republican or Democratic controlled, to actually perform such a thoughtfull accounting.

I really don’t want another pointless investigation.   

And when do you cut it off? As others have aptly pointed out we have made a long string of bad moves in Afghanistan. This is just another one. At least Biden didn’t just throw his hands up in the air and blast the media for being unfair for exposing the truth.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

23 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I defy you to find anyone on Twitter happier about this suicide bombing than GQP accounts.  They are STOKED!

**Gasp**  you mean to say that republicans will assume a callous disregard for human life other than their own if, by sacrificing it, they gain a perceived, if ephemeral, political talking point? I'm shocked!  Shocked I tell you!  Next you'll be telling me that such callous disregard will even extend to their own children's safety if it inconveniences their ability to easily obtain large numbers of armaments at the local walmart while not wearing a face covering.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So the bombing is bad.  On all Sides.  Here is the thing -Bombing was done by ISIS -NOT Taliban. Im am 100% sure the Taliban is NOT happy about this.  The Taliban wants to rule Afghanistan. They have a real desire to be seen as Afghanistan true government.  

In fact -IT looks like leading up to this attack, the British army was using Taliban as extra security.  Of course one of many issues the Taliban has is they don't have strong control over their foot soldiers. 

If the Taliban was smart -they would have a strong response. They would figure out a way to retaliate hard against ISIS and use it as proof that the US needs to get out, that they need to even further restrict access to the airport, and that they can handle their own security. 

At same time -They don't want to start a war with ISIS.  So look for some "arrest" and quick summary killings of "Those involved in the planning" and a statement saying "No evidence this was anything other then a small isolated group".

On the political side -Biden is F***D.  There is NO good response here. Only bad option that make him look week.  Continue the withdrawal, stop it, expand security,  Fight Taliban, Bomb ISIS somewhere, I see absolutely NO choice Biden could make that does not re-emphasis how badly this withdrawal is going.  

and if by some chance the GOP wins the house -Expect 2 years of non stop hearings on the withdrawal.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dan T. said:

What a ****ing stupid thing to say.

Considering he’s the president, I guess it’s going to be even worse. 

12 US service men dead and 15 wounded. Are some of you implying this isn’t Biden’s mess? 

I actually voted for him before you assumed anything.