Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Multiple Sources: Multiple shot including Congress Woman

MrSilverMaC

No

It takes real leadership...someone to BREAK the mold

Statesman

No. All you are doing here is shrugging off responsibility and blaming leaders. Leaders aren't leaders without a mass of followers to fund them and give them power. What it takes is personal responsibility and realizing that being a face in the crowd does matter. The people cheering the whack jobs on are as much if not more to blame than the intellectual crack dealers themselves.

You think people haven't noticed there is a lot of money to be made by telling political group A that political group B is trying to destroy everything they love? As big of a supporter of the free market that you are you should realize what that means. There will be no shortage of loons saying what needs to be said to make that money. Just look at the book sales and profits Michael Moore and Glenn Beck are pulling. As long as that style of speech pays to the tune of millions there will be lines of *******s waiting for their shot to divide Americans.

8 posts from you in this thread, 7 of them dedicated to ****ing about liberals or saying "yeah but dems are just as bad!", and one about how the shooter didn't believe in God, in reply to a comment about him going to hell. Nothing about a prayer for her and her family (or those of the other victims). Not even a "The death penalty is too good for this insane SOB. Killing a 9 year old kid and a federal judge (among others) and attempting to assassinate a congressmen? Lock him in solitary and throw away the key (except for the occasional visit from a guard with a nightstick and a bad attitude)."

It's sad how quickly we skip past the important parts, and focus on the bs politicizing

It's better to just ignore him, he probably blames liberals when he stubs his toe or the dog pees in the house.

"This is very early in her course, we don't know what the deficits will be in the future," Rhee said.

While cautiously optimistic, the doctors could not conceal their relief about the area of the brain that was hit.

"There are obvious areas of the brain that are less tolerant to intrusion," said Lemole.

And Rhee noted the ability of the body to permit brain trauma victims like Giffords to recover and lead meaningful lives.

"With a penetrating brain injury it is always surprising to the lay people that you think any bullet going into any brain means instant death," Rhee said. "But there is a lot of capacity that the human body has to compensate."

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE7082UY20110109

Politicians and pundits should realize that there is large amount of people out there that mentally unstable and for some of them politics and their party is like god to them so you think carefully about the words you use or the imagery you use.

And the public should understand anything can set them off,including breathing

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/jared-lee-loughner-suspected-gabrielle-giffords-shooter-school/story?id=12575278

Shan said she became friends with Loughner the day the two graduated from high school and also had class together at Pima Community College in 2007. She said the two would hang out often after class but lost touch after the semester ended until they reconnected in the summer of 2010 when, Shan said, Loughner acted radically different.

"I don't know might have caused him to change, but from the way he was talking to me [online]... you can see. It was just questions and questions and random, weird questions that didn't go together," she said. "He wanted to know everything... He would just trip out.

"I don't know why it didn't jump out at me, like, 'Hey, something's wrong."

Shan last spoke to Loughner in October, after he was suspended and dropped out of school and before he purchased a semi-automatic handgun from a gunshop in Tucson. But she said while Loughner was "anti-government," he was never violent and never mentioned plans to buy a gun.

When he was suspended from Pima Community College, the school sent a letter to Loughner's parents stating that if Loughner wished to return to the school, he would have to "obtain a mental health clearance indicating, in the opinion of a mental health professional, his presence at the College does not present a danger to himself or others," the school said in a statement.

The school said Loughner had as many as five run-ins with campus police for "classroom and library disruptions," and was suspended after college police discovered a YouTube video apparently created by Loughner in which he claimed the college is "illegal." Rather than return to school, Loughner dropped out, the statement said.

One Pima Community College student, who had a poetry class with Loughner later in his college career, said he would often act "wildly inappropriate."

"One day [Loughner] started making comments about terrorism and laughing about killing the baby," classmate Don Coorough told ABC News, referring to a discussion about abortions. "The rest of us were looking at him in shock ... I thought this young man was troubled."

Another classmate, Lydian Ali, recalled the incident as well.

"A girl had written a poem about an abortion. It was very emotional and she was teary eyed and he said something about strapping a bomb to the fetus and making a baby bomber," Ali said.

bile

Prima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik, who only identified the shooter as a 22-year-old white male, said the evidence online and information they've received from two schools that Loughner attended led him to believe the gunman was "unstable."

added

Hmm six months ago fellow students thought he was a threat

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/jared-lee-loughner-suspected-gabrielle-giffords-shooter-school/story?id=12575278

From June 1, the first day of class:

"One day down and nineteen to go. We do have one student in the class who was disruptive today, I'm not certain yet if he was on drugs (as one person surmised) or disturbed. He scares me a bit. The teacher tried to throw him out and he refused to go, so I talked to the teacher afterward. Hopefully he will be out of class very soon, and not come back with an automatic weapon."

From June 10:

"As for me, Thursday means the end to week two of algebra class. It seems to be going by quickly, but then I do have three weeks to go so we'll see how I feel by then. Class isn't dull as we have a seriously disturbed student in the class, and they are trying to figure out how to get rid of him before he does something bad, but on the other hand, until he does something bad, you can't do anything about him. Needless to say, I sit by

the door."

From June 14:

"We have a mentally unstable person in the class that scares the living crap out of me. He is one of those whose picture you see on the news, after he has come into class with an automatic weapon. Everyone interviewed would say, Yeah, he was in my math class and he was really weird. I sit by the door with my purse handy. If you see it on the news one night, know that I got out fast..."

The class's instructor, Ben McGahee, said in an interview Sunday that Loughner had been removed from class in its third or fourth week, because of repeated disruptions.

I find it interesting that the pubs have held off from holding a vote to repeal the bill and on Hannity's site there is a rule put down by him that no one can talk about how talk radio Fox or Palin could have had any influence on this.

Seems like there is a case of conscience going on right now for some people.

Just don't understand when preaching hate became so commom....it got ramped up since 2008, hell I know a couple of threads where people had concerns the vitrol was hitting high levels.....sigh.....If only certain "groups" would just tone it down....Such a beautiful woman, probably damaged for life.....may God watch over her

This is frankly amusing

Some of you folks actually should read about the history of political campaigns in this country.

It takes real leadership...someone to BREAK the mold
I think it's exactly the opposite. Leadership comes from you.....
No, it doesn't. It takes each of us to make a decision for ourselves. You don't need the government to tell you how to act, think, or behave......
No. All you are doing here is shrugging off responsibility and blaming leaders. Leaders aren't leaders without a mass of followers..... .
Maybe we should ditch Martin Luther King Day and Celebrate "Civil Rights Day" instead?

Martin was just riding a wave..... :deal:

Martin gets a DAY because he was a LEADER

Civil Rights Martyrs.On the Civil Rights Memorial are inscribed the names of individuals who lost their lives in the struggle for freedom during the modern Civil Rights Movement - 1954 to 1968. The martyrs include activists who were targeted for death because of their civil rights work; random victims of vigilantes determined to halt the movement; and individuals who, in the sacrifice of their own lives, brought new awareness to the stuggle.

http://www.splcenter.org/civil-rights-memorial/civil-rights-martyrs

SO, i don't understand the point of this big article pointing out that anything can set off a loony.

Does this somehow argue against the idea of restoring some civility to the discourse?

~Bang

The point being civility has nothing to do with this case or thread...aside from those wishing to make political hay (which isn't being very civil :silly:)

If you read it it is not about setting him off,but rather that he was clearly disturbed

I think an exclusive focus on Palin is not appropriate here. Rather, I think that there is an environment being fostered by Palin and her ilk that is constantly preaching anger, hate, and even violence.

Really, they're preaching violence, really? How about some quotes? (In context please) What you have just said, sir, is a whole dump truck full of horse hockey! Yeah, please let's watch what we say and think about how it might affect someone somewhere who a complete nutjob! Let's not disagree with anything too strongly or some dumbass might shoot people. Let's be real.

And just for the record, the only reason anyone is bringing up the Daily Kos or Obama saying the EXACTY SAME "hateful speech" about targeting, enemies, etc- the only reason anyone said that is because of all the finger pointing whiners who fell all over themselves to start regurtgitating the tired old mantra about Palin and Limbaugh and Hannity blah, blah, blah, blah. The mention of the other side is not to win some contest or to prove that both sides are bad. It's to demonstrate that the people bringing up Palin, and company are absolutely BLIND.

The point being civility has nothing to do with this case or thread...aside from those wishing to make political hay (which isn't being very civil :silly:)

If you read it it is not about setting him off,but rather that he was clearly disturbed

Yep. My take too right now. No trigger just a lunatic with a history of contact with this congresswomen.

Speaking of contact...how weird is it she subscribed to his youtube page?

http://www.youtube.com/user/giffords2

bottom of the page

It's unlikely to actually be her maintaining that page, but it would be interesting to know who on her staff is in charge of that, and when he/she subscribed to that youtube channel.

And if Congress is looking to do something to try to honor her, instead of just suspending the vote on the health care repeal, it would be nice if they voted on the 5% pay cut.

riqAYIevV08

Since he made the site October 25, 2010 and only posted vids a month ago,it couldn't have been long ago...a rather odd subscription(if not a hack)

I agree it is possibly not her that subscribed and agree adopting her proposal would be nice.

So **** it, let's just keep up the vitriol.

Hard to believe I could ever expect anything else. After all, it's doing our country such a world of good anyway.

~Bang

Hard to believe I could ever expect anything else. After all, it's doing our country such a world of good anyway.

Actually, we are tenuously hanging on to the title of the greatest nation on earth, and our entire history has been filled with (gasp) "vitriol." Break out a history book, bud.

So **** it, let's just keep up the vitriol.

~Bang

I certainly wouldn't mind more civility,I dislike strife.

There is the question of can there be much progress/change w/o vitriol though.

Would emancipation,civil rights,womens suffrage ect occurred w/o the accompanying vitriol??

Would we even exist as a nation?

added

Is any belief/conviction not worth fighting for verbally, or defending, a belief worth having????

I certainly wouldn't mind more civility,I dislike strife.

There is the question of can there be much progress/change w/o vitriol though.

Would emancipation,civil rights,womens suffrage ect occurred w/o the accompanying vitriol??

Would we even exist as a nation?

In all of those cases, I think that the more eloquent side won over the vitriolic side.

America's history is not a history of triumph by vitriol. It is a history of principle winning over vitriol.

The Civil Rights Movement was remarkable for its nonviolence and for its appeal to common human decency. The opponents to Civil Rights spewed the worst vitriol, and the backlash to that was so strong that the words they used have become among the most taboo in American culture today.

We have stood against the vitriol spewed by totalitarian leaders in other countries. We have taken the high road and rallied the free world around us. Vitriol is not the American way. We laugh in the face of empty words and threats because we know that freedom and liberty will win in the end.

In the 1950s, Khrushchev predicted: "We will bury you." But in the West today, we see a free world that has achieved a level of prosperity and well-being unprecedented in all human history. In the Communist world, we see failure, technological backwardness, declining standards of health, even want of the most basic kind--too little food. Even today, the Soviet Union still cannot feed itself. After these four decades, then, there stands before the entire world one great and inescapable conclusion: Freedom leads to prosperity. Freedom replaces the ancient hatreds among the nations with comity and peace. Freedom is the victor.

And now the Soviets themselves may, in a limited way, be coming to understand the importance of freedom. We hear much from Moscow about a new policy of reform and openness. Some political prisoners have been released. Certain foreign news broadcasts are no longer being jammed. Some economic enterprises have been permitted to operate with greater freedom from state control.

Are these the beginnings of profound changes in the Soviet state? Or are they token gestures, intended to raise false hopes in the West, or to strengthen the Soviet system without changing it? We welcome change and openness; for we believe that freedom and security go together, that the advance of human liberty can only strengthen the cause of world peace. There is one sign the Soviets can make that would be unmistakable, that would advance dramatically the cause of freedom and peace.

General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!

Archived