Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"My main job to is to make sure Obama is a one term president"

gbear

So yesterday I was driving home, and NPR had a peace both with both heads of their parties in the Senate. I was kind of surprised, an dso was the interviewer who asked if he really thought that was an accurate quote he wanted to stand by. His answer was, "Of course I stand by it. Every senator wants his party to control the presidency"

What about actually reviewing laws, writing laws, and just for the fun of it passing laws, I know when Bush was in, I didn't vote to elect a senator just to get rid of Bush. I'd love both the original quote and his response when questioned on it is played over and over again in the upcoming elections. That seemed a stupid quote and response. Is this idea an acceptable one for most or is it just me who thinks this is garbage from a guy not only unwilling to his job but trying to make sure others can't either?

It is just characteristic of what is going on in DC. I am sure many other politicians feel that exact same way but just don't say it. Personally, I find it disgusting but unfortunately politicians see politics as some sort of game you play and the way you win is by getting your party to control the system. They don't care about the American people or why they are in government in the first place. What saddens me is if you give a politician a choice between passing a piece of legislation that truly betters the nation but losing the upcoming election versus doing nothing to benefit the country but winning, I am sure a great majority would chose to win.

So yesterday I was driving home, and NPR had a peace both with both heads of their parties in the Senate. I was kind of surprised, an dso was the interviewer who asked if he really thought that was an accurate quote he wanted to stand by. His answer was, "Of course I stand by it. Every senator wants his party to control the presidency"

What about actually reviewing laws, writing laws, and just for the fun of it passing laws, I know when Bush was in, I didn't vote to elect a senator just to get rid of Bush. I'd love both the original quote and his response when questioned on it is played over and over again in the upcoming elections. That seemed a stupid quote and response. Is this idea an acceptable one for most or is it just me who thinks this is garbage from a guy not only unwilling to his job but trying to make sure others can't either?

I hear politicians say this kind of stuff all the bloody time. I don't understand it! Is party loyalty more important than the country running smoothly? To some folks, it must be!

"The best thing would be for the president to fail." No, the best thing would be for the president to succeed. That would entail overall success for all people.

I hear politicians say this kind of stuff all the bloody time. I don't understand it! Is party loyalty more important than the country running smoothly? To some folks, it must be!

"The best thing would be for the president to fail." No, the best thing would be for the president to succeed. That would entail overall success for all people.

Congress does not run the country,nor the President ,it is designed to run itself if they would quit ****ing it up.

If you don't think the other side thinks this also you're in LaLa land. The adversarial system has it's checks and balances.

This is what's wrong with political leaders. They are so concerned with getting elected or getting their party elected, they are afraid to sacrifice for the good of the country. They are gutless. Every challenging politician uses the same line, "I'm going to Washington, and I'm going to change things..." and then when they get there they realize things aren't what they thought, how little power one person has (or how futile fighting Washington is) and just assimilate into the Washington machine. Even Obama I believe has walked back on his statement "I want to be a one term President". I'm pretty sure they rationalize it by saying "the policies of the other party are so damaging".

Its clear they see their job as "getting elected".

This is what's wrong with political leaders. They are so concerned with getting elected or getting their party elected, they are afraid to sacrifice for the good of the country. They are gutless. Every challenging politician uses the same line, "I'm going to Washington, and I'm going to change things..." and then when they get there they realize things aren't what they thought, how little power one person has (or how futile fighting Washington is) and just assimilate into the Washington machine. Even Obama I believe has walked back on his statement "I want to be a one term President". I'm pretty sure they rationalize it by saying "the policies of the other party are so damaging".

Its clear they see their job as "getting elected".

That's very true although Obama did put that fear behind him when he went and passed health care reform. Many in his cabinet tried to persuade him not to pass health care because they believed he would fail and thus become a one term president. He instead went ahead with the reform and did what he thought was good for the American people and not his campaign.

I don't have a problem with a politician who honestly believes that his Party's policies are Good For The Country. In fact, I would hope that they all feel that way.

I have a big problem with "I want my Party to have more power. And the best way for us to get that power is to **** up the country as badly as we possibly can, and hope that the voters blame the other Party." And as near as I can tell, that's the Republican Party's "Formula For Success".

Yeah, his main goal should be to make the United States of America as strong and secure as possible. If his main goal is to make sure the sitting President is a one-termer. He ought to be kicked out of office. That goal shouldn't be higher than tenth on his list.

Supporting the troops in a war isn't number one?

Fixing the economy isn't number one?

Dealing with the deficit isn't number one?

Creating jobs isn't number one?

Strengthening our intelligence and military isn't number one?

Oh no, those are all secondary to making sure the President is a one-termer.

Yeah, his main goal should be to make the United States of America as strong and secure as possible. If his main goal is to make sure the sitting President is a one-termer. He ought to be kicked out of office. That goal shouldn't be higher than tenth on his list.

Isn't trying to get rid of BO doing all those things?? :D

Isn't trying to get rid of BO doing all those things?? :D

funny... but no.

It'll be interesting to see who gets credit though. We've had multiple quarters of job growth and some encouraging economic signs recently. Will this be seen as a result the Republicans taking over the House or the efforts of Obama's/Dems seeds taking root.

The real world of politics is a pretty !@#$ place. I always like to point out that politics by definition is how power is distributed across a given society... because there are a few things in that definition that are missing... first would be truth, then maybe doing the right thing, or making sure the country is doing well, etc... none of those things are in the definition and for good reason: Politics is about power and control and everything that politicians do just works to that end.

It's one thing to seek power. It is another to actively pursue destructive policies to achieve it. There are too many politicians today who do that. They attempt to harm the country and get power by doing so. They work against the country's best interests.

The real world of politics is a pretty !@#$ place. I always like to point out that politics by definition is how power is distributed across a given society... because there are a few things in that definition that are missing... first would be truth, then maybe doing the right thing, or making sure the country is doing well, etc... none of those things are in the definition and for good reason: Politics is about power and control and everything that politicians do just works to that end.
I think everyone here pretty much knows that, no? Its just that these guys are elected and paid to work at actual governing, it would be nice to give that a slight edge over self-serving political intrigue.

The first job of any politician is of course to get elected. Having done so, now his main job is to get other Republicans elected? I think not.

Just to pause...

Do you realize what the response would have been to this comment just a few years ago? The first job is to remove a war time President? Not stand behind him and our troops?

Mitch is anti-troop. He hates our military. I would hope every good American who believes in the sacrifices of our Marines, Soldiers, Sailors, Guard stand united in condemning him and all those who share this view. They are unqualified traitors and anti-American.

Just to pause...

Do you realize what the response would have been to this comment just a few years ago? The first job is to remove a war time President? Not stand behind him and our troops?

Mitch is anti-troop. He hates our military. I would hope every good American who believes in the sacrifices of our Marines, Soldiers, Sailors, Guard stand united in condemning him and all those who share this view. They are unqualified traitors and anti-American.

Typical .... you seem to forget the constant calls for impeachment back then

Hoping to elect another is not removing

Typical .... you seem to forget the constant calls for impeachment back then

Hoping to elect another is not removing

Ummm... which party actually tried to impeach or remove a sitting President most recently? Which made it part of their platform not to do that or to hold investigations if they gained the majority in 2006?

Just checkin'

Personally,I have no problem with McConnell's statement. He clearly spelled out what his priority is and as a voter I can respond accordingly.

Sure. That's what we just did in November. :)

And I think this is less about power than it is about getting rid of Obama specifically. Everyone talked about Bush acting against the "will of the people." Obama obliterated that with his health care law.

Archived