Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are some good things the US government has done?

abdcskins

People love to bash the US government, for good reason most of the time. Yet I think we would all agree that we do a lot of good humanitarian acts abroad. What specifically have we done, both domestically and internationally? These things get often overlooked. I was in a conversation the other night with some Turkish people and I was agreeing with them on all the negative points, and I wanted to bring up some positives but didn't have much ammunition.

I feel like you just want federal government pros. I'll give two that will get some people going: Social Security and Medicare.

Social security actually provides income to seniors so that they can afford to retire. (It actually does much more than that, e.g. disability, etc.).

Medicare actually provides health insurance to people who otherwise would be uninsurable simply because of their age.

Those two programs provide an exhorbitant amount of "good" to our country.

Thanks, some good stuff. Any other stuff, specifically foreign policies or acts? The fighting AIDS in Africa that Kilmer mentioned was gold. I think the main thing may be just providing aid to countries in need. Organizations like the Peace Corps are American programs that have federal funding. And then there are private organizations like the Red Cross that also go abroad and help other significantly. This is all stuff that should be recognized, I doubt even the staunchest anti-American could criticise those things.

I'm trying to show these Europeans that the United States of America is not a bad country with ill intentions. :)

As a person who was born overseas (Kuwait) and lived in a couple nations growing up I would say one of our shining achievements is incredible toleration for all peoples regards their ethnicity, religion and other beliefs. People who think this country and its people are intolerant would do well to spend some time abroad to really understand how just we really are here.

Thanks, some good stuff. Any other stuff, specifically foreign policies or acts? The fighting AIDS in Africa that Kilmer mentioned was gold. I think the main thing may be just providing aid to countries in need. Organizations like the Peace Corps are American programs that have federal funding. And then there are private organizations like the Red Cross that also go abroad and help other significantly. This is all stuff that should be recognized, I doubt even the staunchest anti-American could criticise those things.

I'm trying to show these Europeans that the United States of America is not a bad country with ill intentions. :)

Well, if you want to go there... tsunami relief in Indonesia, Peace Corp, and all sorts of relief efforts that are probably too numerous to name.

Forcing the Redskins to integrate.

Henry - u wouldn't believe how the Marshal plan is portrayed in European schools - essentially echoing the Soviet b.s. about how it was a scheme to make the rest of the world dependant on America...a quasi-colonialist ploy. :doh:

---------- Post added January-6th-2011 at 03:10 PM ----------

Henry - u wouldn't believe how the Marshal plan is portrayed in European schools - essentially echoing the Soviet b.s. about how it was a scheme to make the rest of the world dependant on America...a quasi-colonialist ploy. :doh:

Which is why Europe is one big American colony today? :ols:

As a person who was born overseas (Kuwait) and lived in a couple nations growing up I would say one of our shining achievements is incredible toleration for all peoples regards their ethnicity, religion and other beliefs. People who think this country and its people are intolerant would do well to spend some time abroad to really understand how just we really are here.

Yeah...tell the Turks to go try living in Germany and see how accepted they are.

Realistically, nobody brings as many people from other countries to their country, even on a voluntary non-permanent basis as we do. When I was in grad school, there was somebody here from a foreign country, and they were complaining about the US. Us US citizens weren't saying anything, and then eventually somebody on an H1 visa (a non-permanent resident here for a specialty job) from India got up and said, if you don't like it here, you can go back to China.

The whole room got quite.

I really like this post. Kudos!

---------- Post added January-6th-2011 at 05:15 PM ----------

Yeah...tell the Turks to go try living in Germany and see how accepted they are.

I was a summer exchange student in Germany back in the late 80's. You really speak the truth!

I remember once we went out quite late and a group of German teens suddenly ran by us and surrounder a phone booth that had a darker skinned man inside using the phone. The freaking kids tipped the whole booth over and the poor guy got both stuck and injured in the process. I learned later of a very common hatred among many Germans for Turks.

AMEN. I think Europe does a lot of things well, health care, education, train system but they cannot touch our diversity. I have lived in many of the Western European countries and let me tell you if you think people are racist here wow it is so much worse there. They like to say hey we are European we are so much more liberal and open but why then do you have these openly fascist political parties in countries like Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and Portugal. As a minority myself I can tell you that I often feel much more uncomfortable in these countries than in the USA.

Archived